Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

African American Women & Triple Negative Status

Options

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hello Taj72, sorry you are in this dilemma.  I know it has to be extremely scary for you and your mom.  I can't answer but trust someone will be along with some info for you.  Did you also post this on the Chemo thread?  Even after your mom sees the onc today you will be able to get additional information, answers to questions you may not have thought to ask so please visit these threads often..

Good luck to you and please keep us posted as you walk this journey with your mom.

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hello taj72,

I am sorry to hear that "this illness" is taking your Mom and you through changes, and it can.  (Not Fair).

I hope that the test show there are no changes---however, should there be, hang in there!!!  There are many new meds out there(not that we want them) but some times with this illness, (MEDS)it begins to be "a way of life".  The cancer can be a "chronic disease", and not necessarily a "death sentence".  I have a history now, of many occurrences and am coming up on 11 years Survivor, many twists and turns on this journey, many MEDS in my years, 2 sets of treatments of Radiation  during this time, but it can be livable.  We are here to support you both, post often.

Remember to try to take care of yourself, so you will be able to take care of your Mom.

We will keep you both in our prayers.

Linda C.

• taj72
    taj72 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2009
    Options

Thanks everyone for your support.  The PT scan is tomorrow and we should have results by Monday when we meet with the onc again.  There were some areas of concern from the MRI results that the cancer might have spread to her rib and sternum?  We'll know for sure next week.  Assuming that it hasn't spread, mom will go to surgery in the next few weeks and then be started on a weekly course of chemo involving different drugs (Abraxane and Avastin) for 12 weeks, followed by radiation.  I'll keep you all posted how it progresses.  Thanks for your prayers and hugs and I hope that your individual journeys are successful.

• patoo
    edited October 2009
    Options

Thanks for the update Taj72.  Let your mom know she is in our thoughts and many are praying.

Blessings.

• Lcharmie
    edited October 2009
    Options

I Hope every one is having a good weekend, doing what you want to do, being where you want to be!!

Just thinking about you all---Be Blessed!!!

Linda C.

• patoo
    edited October 2009
    Options

Thanks Linda - back at ya!

Everyone have a blessed evening.

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hey Ladies!  There was a wonderful Breast Cancer Awareness Program at Church today. I guess I was the only person in church besides my husband NOT wearing Pink! One of our ministers read a wonderful poem written by a survivor about being a VICTOR. It was done beautifully. Our pastor presented me with flowers after church. It was such a blessing.

My son and I went out on the lake at a friend's house tonight. It was awesome. We watched the sun set from the canoe. It was so AWESOME. I'm so thankful for time spent with friends/ family and for His beautiful creation. The same creator who made the magnificent sunsets, the tranquil lakes reflecting tall, mossy green cypress trees, the moon and the blood-red sun also created us. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Let us not forget it!

Here's to a wonderful week. God Bless all survivors and our families.

• Lcharmie
    edited October 2009
    Options

Patoo---Thanks!!

Indomitable1--Sounds like Church was great!!  The time out on the lake sounds wonderful and beautiful.  We are watching the colors change on trees and it is so" awsome"--everything that God does.  It makes my heart smile, that is how I felt when you described  your time out on the lake.

Stay Blessed ya!!

• Alaina
    Alaina Member Posts: 153
    edited October 2009
    Options
    The Amazing Alaina Bracelet!!!

My good friend (and extremely talented jewelry designer) Kathy Reading has created a beautiful bracelet for Breast Cancer Awareness Month in my honor! I am so stunned and humbled, I hardly know what to say, but to say that I love Kathy is not even enough!

There are only a few of these bracelets available, but if you would like one, please visit her site ---> http://catjudesigns.com/Catju_Designs/Blog/Entries/2009/10/11_Breast_Cancer_Month_-_Amazing_Alaina.html

If the Amazing Alaina bracelets sell out, please take a look at some of her other gorgeous designs! Your support of her would be a small measure of the gratitude I have for everything she has done for me! She is truly a wonderful person!

I am blessed to be loved and cared for so creatively by her!

Alaina
  • patoo
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hi Alaina,

The bracelet is really nice and I have emailed her to arrange to get one if any are left.  Thanks for sharing your friend with us.

• Alaina
    edited October 2009
    Options

Thanks for supporting her Patoo!  She really is one of the nicest people I know!

• Lcharmie
    edited October 2009
    Options

Alaina,

What a Special Friend!!!

The jewelry is beautiful---I can window shopSmile

Thanks for sharing!!

Linda C.

• patoo
    edited October 2009
    Options
    No, I'm one of the nicest people you know - okay, okay, I'll share that spotlight!  Laughing
  • Alaina
    edited October 2009
    Options

LOL!!! @ Patoo!

• indomitable1
    edited October 2009
    Options

Her jewelry is beautiful!  What a great tribute, Alaina. Nice.

• Deborahann
    Deborahann Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2009
    Options

Dear Alaina,

I visited your friend's web page.  Thank you for sharing. 

• indomitable1
    edited October 2009
    Options

DeborahAnn-  Praise God and Congratulations!!!                                                                 You are approaching your 5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!!!   How  are you celebrating??!!!!???

Still praying for my cyber-sisters! Hope you all are well!

• JourneyNC
    JourneyNC Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm nearing the end of my Radiation Treatment and concludes all treatments. I've have an emotional roller coaster ride this year personally. I've had tremendous support and realization of those who I thought could love me though this ending up leaving me with baggage.

What I take away from this is the Sister Support and being held up by the Almighty God. I am Thankful.

I'm hurting right now from the rads..the burn is unbearable. I've cried many nights but did not think radiation treatment could physically hurt this bad.

In any case. Love and Peace to All!

• Lcharmie
    edited October 2009
    Options

JourneyNC,

Wow--sorry the Rads have you feeling bad!!  I remember having being burned under my arm so bad, I ask what "degree burn" I had, (they said it was'nt like that)--told them I was sick---did not have a temp, the Dr put some kind of gel pack on it and it healed quite quickly. I hope you recover real soon.

Take care of you.

Linda C.

• indomitable1
    edited October 2009
    Options

Journey-So sorry about the rads complication. This, too, shall pass. We'll keep you in prayer.

I understand what you mean about people....and support. It's amazing how these kind of challenges make friends/family declare themselves. Yesterday's Daily Bread was about friends being one of two kinds-standers vs. runners. I sorta knew who the runners were even before this, but they definitely proved the point. And that's OK with me....God is faithful and He has used so many (including the ladies on this site) in His ministry to me on this journey. I just pray that my example of standing on His word and promises will be a testimony to some of those runners in my life. In the meantime, I'm not letting BC or them stop me from enjoying this gift of life! God bless you sister; much strength to you!

Hope all my survivor sisters are well.....Life, Laughter, Love, & Peace.

• Alaina
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Almost Halfway!!!

As of today, I have completed 13 of 28 radiation treatments! 13 you say? For those keeping track, you may wonder why only 13 and not 14...well, the machine was broken yesterday, so no rads!

So that means this phase of treament will end on 11/20/09 instead of 11/19/09.

So far my skin is holding up! Tape dots have been removed and left my skin ON my body! Praise God! I will have to be scraped off the ceiling if (when) the tape dots take my skin with them (and I fear that day is coming). I've still got 3 full weeks of treatment left (15 rads), and the effects on your skin are cumulative.

I'm using prescription Biafine cream emulsion on my skin and it's really nice. I have to use it 2x a day (once right after treatment and once before bed).

So what's on tap for the weekend? FUN!!! I've never been one to get too excited about Halloween, but today is special. One of my bestest girlfriends is getting MARRIED TODAY! And yes, the wedding and reception are COSTUME! I'm going dressed as a Green M&M! LOL!!!

Tomorrow, I have a busy day as well. Church in the morning. Brunch (somewhere). My friend Sharon's Bon Voyage Party (she's going to Naples, Italy ya'll! for THREE YEARS!!!) And then zipping back up the beltway to get to CenterStage Theatre for a 7:30pm showing of "The Importance of Being Earnest" (it's 2 hours and 40 minutes long, I hope I stay awake!)

Here's wishing each of you has a weekend filled with love and fun!

Alaina

• Lcharmie
    edited November 2009
    Options

Alaina,

Girl--"GONEON" and LIVE!!  Sounds like a "wonderful weekend".

I had the machines break down on one day I was scheduled for Rads--I told them, "I will wait".

They finally told me I had to go home, as it was not going to be fixed that day.   I was on countdown and I was not wanting to miss a day!!

I hope your time goes fast.

Linda C.

• JourneyNC
    JourneyNC Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2009
    Options

Thank you lLinda and  Indomitable1 for replying and giving me encouragement. I was in such despair the other day and each day gets a little better. ILinda, what is the gel pack you had for relief?

Love, Health and Peace

• Lcharmie
    edited November 2009
    Options

JourneyNC,

You are most welcome!!

I am so sorry my friend, however I do not know what the name of the gel pack was, the Dr. applied right there in her office,  I recall it being a blue gel pack.  I would think the  Onco Radiologist might would know--- that was in 1999, and I probably knew then, but cannot recall.

I do hope each day is much better for you.  Keep us posted.  We will walk with you all the way.

Linda C.

• Lcharmie
    edited November 2009
    Options

Indomitable1,

Oh Lady, I love your stance--walk on in Faith!!!

Stay Blessed.

Linda C.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited November 2009
    Options

Stepping in to get some advice on Triple Neg.

First, I have very bad burns under my arm from Radiation treatment. What do you do about this? any suggestions would be helpful.

I am not an African American but have found that the best advice I am getting comes from them and those that treat them. What are you doing after radiation? What is out there for after surgery, chemo. and radiation?  I feel so lost now that I am about done with the rads. Kinda like I am being left hanging just to wait and see. 

• Alaina
    edited November 2009
    Options

PauldingMom ~ I'm on the October Rads thread.  I read your comment about Aquaphor not working, and Aloe not working.

Aquaphor was too greasy for me.  Aloe was too drying (although it feels great when you first apply it).

My RadOnc has me using prescription Biafine.  It's a cream emulsion that she has me using 2x a day long before the end of rads to help my skin stay moisturized and hold up under treatment.

It's made by the same folks who make Neutrogena.  Ask your doc about it and see if you can get a 'script!

Hope this helps!  Alaina

• patoo
    edited November 2009
    Options

PauldingMom - I also heard of something called Bag Balm which you should be able to find in a CVS or RiteAide or one of those stores.  Aquaphor was not only greasy but thick and was really only a more expensive Vaseline.  Good luck.

Alaina - got the bracelet today -  I love it. 

• indomitable1
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hey Ladies!

JourneyNC-Know that this too shall pass! Bigger, better, and brighter are just around the corner.

ILinda-Hope all is going well with you. Still jonesing for some lemon cake!!! Trying to do better with my dietary habits (until Wed-Fri of Thanksgiving week and Christmas Day).

FINALLY! Tomorrow is my last round of chemo.

Just a coupla months behind but Grateful nevertheless! Then on to Rads-thanks for the tips for the creams. Am starting to apply Bag Balm this week in prep for initiation of rads in ~3-4 weeks.

God Bless everyone.  

• Alaina
    edited November 2009
    Options

Patoo ~ I'm so excited you got your bracelet!  YAY!!! Thank You!