Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

African American Women & Triple Negative Status

Options

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited November 2009
    Options

Also saw med onc for 3-month checkup; 6 months post rads - NED!!!  Hurray!!  He said my early stage made chance of recurrence in either breast very low and nearly zero chance to spread elsewhere (mets) in body.  God is good.

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2009
    Options

Congratulations Patoo!!! Praise God for his Goodness and Faithfulness! Hallelujah!

I'm about to leave for my last round of chemo!!! My family got me a "Chemo Graduation Day" button that I am wearing proudly. We'll be having a little celebration at the Cancer Center with the staff and other patients. 

Today is also DeborahAnn's 5 year Annivesary. God is indeed Good. Enjoy and God Bless All our BC survivor sisters!

• Alaina
    Alaina Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Here is a pic of me as a Green M&M at my friends' Hallowedding.

We had a BLAST!

• patoo
    edited November 2009
    Options

Alaina - funneeeeeee!  Glad you had a blast.

• indomitable1
    edited November 2009
    Options

Alaina! You really know how to have a good time! Hopefully, you were a good luck omen to this new union!

• patoo
    edited November 2009
    Options

Not a good day.  Only found out today that Stephanie (TripleNeg) went to be with the Father on October 29th.  I'm happy for her because of where she is now and out of pain, but sad that we lost her to this disease.

• Deborahann
    Deborahann Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2009
    Options

I didn't know eithrCry 

May God bless her and keep her close!

• Deborahann
    edited November 2009
    Options

Good evening everyone,

Luckily, this was the first place I thought about to vent my feelings.  Well, here goes.

I recently received a phone call from my primary dr. this evening (6pm pacific time-California) informing me of a "suspicious looking" tumor on my left breast (are there any other kind?) that appeared on my recent (just last week!) annual mammogram.  She described the tumor as an "oval density" 1.2 cm in size.  And once again, "it" is in my left breast.  Go figure!  She also informed me that I'm already scheduled for a CT-scan next week. Great!  After receiving that riverting news, I emailed my  breast cancer surgeon and gave him a "heads up." I wanted to request an immediate follow up appointment with him ASAP once the results are in.  I've already decided (at least in this moment) that I will have a double mastectomy, chemo and radiation.  I admit, it is probably the fear that I am experiencing that is propelling me into 'THAT' decision.  I think once I take a moment to step back and re evaluate the situation I will decide on a treatment plan that works best for me.

Another one of life's ironies:  My husband pointed out that I was diagnosed 5yrs and less than 10 days ago with the first tumor.  Again, it was two weeks before Thanksgiving.  I'm trying to wrap my head around that one!

Well, that felt better.  I'll keep all of you posted with my developments.

• JourneyNC
    JourneyNC Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hello All,

Sorry to hear about Stephanie...May she Rest in Peace.

DeborahAnn, I Pray for positive Good News for You!

Since finishing my treatment, I have my 1st Hema Onc appointment this coming Monday. I just finished my Rads and had severe left breast pain under left side of breast under arm pit. 2nd time of this pain felt like I was having a heart attack and couldn't breathe. With this in mind, my only conclusion is striking gas pains. Hope that's all, I'm convinced this is what it is.

Peace to All

• Deborahann
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hello journeync,

Thanks for the encouraging words.  The evening was rather surreal for me.  Luckily, I was able to sleep well. My mind is clearer and I'm able to "think" more rationally.

Regarding the pain in your left breast after completing radiation, I had similar issues.  Actually, my pain lasted for about 6 months. I wasn't sure what was going on.  I had bone scans, lab tests, etc.  For me, I summed it up as "phantom pain" post operative residual sensation.  Considering the surgery, chemo, radiation, and especially the negative results of all the diagnostic tests.  That was the only conclusion that made sense for me.

I hope that helps!  Again, that was my experience.  We all have bodily experiences that are unique to us individually.

Where you given any suggestions for arm exercises?  If not, I can suggest one.  Check with you Dr. if it's ok.---What I did to diminish scarring and to increase my range of motion was the following: I would stand about 8 -10 inches from the wall with my left arm at my waist height and slowly walk my fingers of my left hand up the wall until the point of slight discomfort. I would walk it back down and repeat about x4times x3/day.  I did that for about 6months until I could comfortably raise my arm completely over my head.  I have full range of motion and did not develope and scar tissue in my affected arm.  I also carry 2-5lbs (depending on my mood that day LOL) weights when I do my daily walks.  Just a suggestion to help you regain control of your body.  Again, check with you dr. if you have any particular limitations.

I'll look for you on the "board" to follow your progress!

• patoo
    edited November 2009
    Options

Deborahann, will send up prayers that your go through this next journey without fear or stress.  Please do keep us posted on your progress.

Blessings.

(Hello everyone!)

• indomitable1
    edited November 2009
    Options

Deborahann-The devil is a liar. I pray that all "suspicion" is unfounded. Glad to know that you are clear-minded and proactive in all of this. Don't let your peace be shaken.

JourneyNC-Hope you get some relief soon!  If it persists, consider speaking with the rad onc about it.

Has anyone heard from ILinda? We miss hearing from you Linda!

Still praying that God will comfort and keep Stephanie's family in perfect peace.

Peace and Health to all!

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I have missed everyone so very much!!!

I thought of you all and have ask God to wrap his arms around each of you!!

Well, I am doing Good me thinks!! 

My computer had a virus so I was without.

I am glad to be back and have been reading your posts and trying to catch up.

I had "11 YEARS"  SURVIVOR ANNIVERSARY NOV. 17TH--PRAISE GOD!!

I had my 5th treatment yesterday, I generally plan a "get-away" day, but I skipped treatment last Tues. as my daughter was here from Texas this weekend to speak at our church for a Womens Conference, and I wanted to feel good and visit, so we did.

Anyways, do hope all of you are doing well, hanging in here.

Take care and Stay Blessed!!

Linda C.

• indomitable1
    edited November 2009
    Options

Linda- So Glad to hear that you aore doing well!  Hope you enjoyed your visit with your daughter and the conference.  CONGRATULATIONS on your SURVIVOR Anniversary!!!!! 11 years, Wow. You go, girl! Glad to hear that you are managing your treatments so they are do-able for you. God Bless! You remain in my prayers!

• Lcharmie
    edited November 2009
    Options

Indomitable,

Thank you!! 

My daughter and I had a great visit.  She is 42 years old, she is my 1st born.

I am so thankful the treatments are going well too.  I see the Dr. on Tues. I do not expect him to do anything different for the time being and this is Ok.  I probably need to stay on the meds for awhile, but (not 6 years) I hope and pray!!

Thanks always for your prayers.

Stay Blessed.

Linda C.

• patoo
    edited November 2009
    Options

Linda - congrats - 11 YEARS - YAY!!!  Here's hoping for at least 42 more!

• Zipmum
    Zipmum Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2009
    Options

I trust that things went well with you.

• Lcharmie
    edited November 2009
    Options

patoo,

Thanks!!  I feel Blessed!!

42 years would make me 104 years old, I had to smile when I saw you wrote that--seriously, I had a Great Aunt that passed away the day after 9/11 and she was 105 years old!!  She was driving the Dallas freeways at the age of 99---I have said I want to live to be at least 100--I am too curious to leave--still trying to know things--love living---so I stay moving.

Take care and stay Blessed.

Linda C.

• dershell
    dershell Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi All...its been a while since I posted something.....I just completed my chemo treatment of AC and Cytoxan.....The last cycle was more than I could ever image......I got additional mouth and throat sores and I down time lasted for 8dys instead of the prior cycles which last 6 dys....I'm do to start my 2nd round of chemo which is 4 cycles of taxol the day b4 Thanksgiving! Happy Turkey Day to me!

I must say the crying hasnt really decreased but my faith in GOD has!

I'm now experiencing a new side effect....after 4 cycles already last week I started loosing my eyelashes.....my eyes now really burn, hurt, and are dry but they water all day long...has anyone experienced this? If, so any suggestions? Also my skin on my face is very dry...I've been moisturing several times a day but have tried several different moisturizers...NOTHING IS WORKING! Any suggestions for African American skin?

• justpayton1
    justpayton1 Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi dershell,

This is my first time reading through this post. I am not african american so I hope that its okay that i send  a reply in here.

What I am is 39 and triple negative.

I also had 4 rounds of AC and than 4 rounds of Taxol (dose Dense) with the taxol I had the watering eye only one but believe me it drove me nuts.

What worked for me was benadryll (sp) and an allergy otc eye drops. I hope this helps..

Hugs to you

• Lcharmie
    edited November 2009
    Options

dershell,

I am sorry to hear you had a "rough go" with the chemo--it has its uglies!!

I still say go ahead and cry--it is OK.  Your Faith is God is going to carry you through.  Hold on to that.

Stay Blessed.

Linda C.

• amIdoneyet
    amIdoneyet Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It has been so uplifting and informative reading these posts. I am newly diagnosed (10/2009). This was difficult, due to the fact that it was BC awareness month, and everywhere I turned there was something relating to BC. I am a 32 year old married mom of 2, 7-yr old Jada and 3-yr old Jalen. I am just trying to wrap my head around everything. My mom is an Oncology Social Worker and I am a Pharmacist, so I have an extensive healthcare background, which sometimes makes things harder.

I found out I had BC after having unresolved pain under my arm. It was swollen and tender to the touch. My PCP put me on an antibiotic, but had the presence of mind to send me for a breast ultrasound. Within two weeks I had my ultrasound, mammogram, biopsy, diagnosis, surgical consult, Hem-Onc consult, bone scan, CT scan, breast MRI, and clinical trial consult. Due to the fact that the cancer is believed to be in my lymph nodes I am doing neoadjuvant chemo in a clinical trial. I have 4 cycles of Avastin, Gemzar, and Taxotere (week 1-3 meds, week 2-gemzar, week 3-off) and then 4 cycles of AC. Due to clinical trial I will have a lumpectomy(hopefully!), radiation and then can also have 10 more gemzar infusions.

To say the least it has all been overwhelming, but I have a wondeful support system, and now you all. I have completed 1st chemo, but had to miss second due to severe neutropenia. The nausea wasn't bad, did have some ot. GI issues(lol), but ended up with awful mucositis and thrush-lost 8 lbs in 1&1/2 weeks. Hoping next session will go smoother on 11/30. Md is adding Neulasta to boost WBC production.

Blessings and love to all.

it has been so informative and uplifting reading these posts . 
  • Lcharmie
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hello amidoneyet,

I am sorry we had to meet this way, but glad you found us.

The ladies here have been very supportive, and we are here to lean on and walk with you on this journey. 

I am sorry that you have had some changes to get through with the chemo.  Hope this is all short lived for you.

Keep us posted.

Stay Blessed.

Linda C.   

• Lcharmie
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I went to the Dr. today and he feels I am responding to the treatment.  I talked him out of the chemo today.  My kids are coming in from Texas and I want to be able to cook and visit like we do,  I don't want to lay around, so he agreed.

I am wishing you all a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Stay Blessed.

LInda C.

• amIdoneyet
    amIdoneyet Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2009
    Options
    thanks linda1.  hope you and your family have a happy thanksgivingKiss
  • dershell
    dershell Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    Options

my skin on my face is very dry...I've been moisturing several times a day and have tried several different moisturizers...NOTHING IS WORKING! Any suggestions for African American skin? Once I moisturize ....ten minutes later it looks like my face is completely white from ash.

• nasharayne
    nasharayne Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2009
    Options

dershell - I have this problem also, even before BC.  I use Eucerin PLUS Intensive Repair Lotion.  It's the only thing that would work for me and I tried a lot of stuff

• patoo
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Hi dershell - have you tried shea butter?  I mean the pure shea butter, not the one that's in regular lotions.  Let me know if you want a link to a site.
  • indomitable1
    edited November 2009
    Options

Happy Belated Thanksgiving All!!! Hope you enjoyed your family, friends, and food!

Did the family thing-had 23 people in all. We (my husband & I) usually cook for Thanksgiving but for the immediate family. Tried to assist at my Niece's last year-was flabbergasted 'cause only my cranberry sauce,  pies and Sister Schubert's rolls turned out right (gravy was a disaster).  This year my aunt brought the "dressing" , broccoli rice casserole, and sweet potato pies-driven all the way from Tx. Another aunt brought greens and corn muffins from Ocala, Fl.  Another aunt from TX made mashed potatoes. I did 2 different sweet potato casseroles (marshmallows, pecan-brown sugar  toppings), green beans, orange-cranberry sauce (homemade), and pecan pies.  My dear Pastor contributed his famous & delicious pound cake. His wife made a delicious corn pudding which she and her sister brought over when they came to meet the family before dinner. My husband and dad collaborated on the roasted turkey. My cousin and uncle from Tx fried a cajun turkey (I made the injectate and a rub. He only used the injector marinade not my rub-you know Texans -theirs is always better!).

• indomitable1
    edited November 2009
    Options

Dershell-I had this problem and the shea butter worked for me. I also switched back to Dove soap which is often recommended by African American dermatologists.

Amidoneyet-God Bless you! None of us want to be here, but I've found that having these ladies in my support network has helped make this more tolerable. I've got kids, too and know the sense of  urgency you feel to get this behind you for them. Will add you to my prayer list. I'm also in the medical field but oncology certainly wasn't my cup of tea despite it turning into big business. Still isn't! Frown But all things work together for good..........