Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

African American Women & Triple Negative Status

Options

Comments

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2009
    Options

Indomitable1, Thanks!!

Prayers for you to heal fast too.

I was reading and thinking "how it seems that people think you don't need help", I wonder if it is "a given" that, I know that I send to people, and I really don't feel like that now, oh I struggled, I wonder how many of us with this illness have been "care takers", and I did have a hard time letting people take care of me, I was in total denial---I am with you on what is wrong with good old fellowship--I appreciate all of it!! 

Be Blessed. 

• Alaina
    Alaina Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Just What the Doctor Ordered!

Diagnosis: Breast Cancer
    Remedy: A T6 (ta-ta-to-the-ta-ta's) Party!

The party was a rousing success! I'm still floating on air! The love and support that 100 people came out in a pouring rainstorm to share with me will keep my spirit uplifted for days, weeks, and months to come! Heck, I'll still be grinning this time next year!

I'll do my best to share the joy that permeated that cozy Cabaret Room at the Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute, but I'm not so sure how successful I'll be.

When they entered the Center, my guests were greeted by a Videographer in order to leave me a video-taped message to be viewed by me after surgery later this week. I cannot WAIT to see what they had to say!

Then up the elevators to the 4th Floor Cabaret Room, where you were greeted by one of my BFF's MB, who was "on the door." He checked your name off, offered you a "clapper" and depending on when you arrived, a special "reach-in-the-bag" door prize for being early.

At some point, I squealed and hugged each of my guests! LOL!!!

On the dinner buffet (catered superbly by Tbonz of Ellicott City, MD ---> http://tbonzgrille.com/ )

Fried Wings
    Lemon-Pepper Wings
    Buffalo Wings
    Macaroni & Cheese
    The World's BEST Collard Greens
    Tossed Salad
    Shrimp Salad Wraps
    Turkey Club Wraps
    ...and some hot sauce...

LP was the Extraordinary Bartender! He created a signature drink for me called The Chocolate Nipple and it was FANTASTIC! It was nutty and fruity and creamy and had a chocolate kiss on top! PERFECTION!

JL was the Baker who created the yummy cupcakes! Some were Margarita flavored and the others were Devil's food cake flavored! All were topped with thick delicious chocolate swirl icing and....wait for it...a HERSHEY's KISS! Get the image? *grin*

SC provided the music and helped us all catch a rhythm and dance into the evening! Well some of us caught a beat...*ahem*

My buddy LC provided comic relief and had us all laughing out loud with his signature brand of humor!

There was a Silent Auction to benefit the Outpatient Chemotherapy Center at the hospital where I'm being treated! It was an amazing success! Items in the auction:

* 5 Necklace & Earring Sets custom-made by the talented Kathy Reading of Catju Designs ---> http://catjudesigns.com/Catju_Designs/Welcome.html
    * August Wilson's Century Cycle (10 Dramas)
    * The Complete Stephanie Plum Series (15 Mystery Novels)
    * KitchenAid Tabletop 5-Quart Mixer (in Breast Cancer Pink)
    * The James Bond Ultimate Collector's Set (all 21 Bond movies, plus an additional 21 bonus DVDs)

WE RAISED $1000 IN THE SILENT AUCTION!
    The generosity was amazing! Now the Outpatient Chemo Center will have PLENTY of board/card games (like Scrabble, Monopoly, UNO, etc) to occupy/entertain chemo patients and their friends/family who come and sit for several hours with them! I am beyond thrilled!

I shared my testimony, then we danced and I got hugged so many times...whew! SO MUCH LOVE! Even my head got kissed! Lots of times! LOL!!! Yeah, I went bald for the party!

I'm sleepy ya'll! There's more I could say, but I hope this gives everyone a flavor of how fantastic a time was had by all! What a party!

Night Night!, Alaina

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Alaina,

Sounds like "it was a Blast"!!!!

What a "send off"!!!  I am sure those memories will carry you through!!

Have a great sleep and "caress" those memories.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care.

Linda C

• Alaina
    edited August 2009
    Options

It's B-Day!!!

Nope, not my birthday. Breast-Day! The day I undergo a unilateral mastectomy of my left breast along with an axillary lymph node dissection of all my level 1 & 2 lymph nodes in my left armpit. Thelma & Louise (the "girlz") will be separated for good. *sigh*

Last week I was put on Potassium tablets (20 MEQs daily, the max) because my levels were too low for surgery (3.2, needs to be at least 3.5). The diuretic I've been taking to reduce my leg/ankle/foot swelling is to blame. But I was instructed to continue taking the diuretic. Then they were concerned about my urinalysis results and put me on a 3-day anti-biotic (Bactrim). The Potassium and the Bactrim are HORSE PILLS! It was all I could do to choke them back every day! *blech!*

So tomorrow please pray that all my "counts" permit us to move forward with surgery. I've come too far to turn back now!

I've taken the required evening shower pre-surgery, including washing my left breast (Thelma) with Hibiclens, a special anti-microbial body wash. I have to repeat this process when I awaken in the VERY EARLY morning. Thelma will be medically washed again pre-surgery in the hospital.

It's now midnight and I am not permitted to eat or drink anything.

The outline of the day is as follows:

* 8/24, 6:30am ~ Arrive at hospital
    * 8:30am ~ Surgery (I'm told it's a 90 minute procedure)
    * 10am - ?? ~ Recovery
    * 12Noon ~ In Room
    * Visiting Hours Till 8pm
    * If all is well, discharged to go home by Noon on Tuesday 8/25

I'm still not sure how I feel about all this, but I know it has to be done. I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to save my life, and I know this is part of a very aggressive treatment plan designed by some of the best oncologists and surgeons in this area.

Thank you in advance for every prayer and wish of wellness on my behalf! If ever I needed you, I need you now!

Love Always! Alaina

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Alaina, praying mightily for you. 
  • activern
    activern Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2009
    Options

Good luck Alaina - Hope your surgery went well.  You are very positive!

Love

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Alaina,

I am Praying for you---God is already undertaking for you---as your attitude is strong--Hold on to that!!   We will be right here waiting to "Walk on in this journey with you.  So till then "Hugs" to go with you.  Maybe will share some stories later about the surgeries.

Stay blessed.

Linda C. 

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited August 2009
    Options

Alaina- Hope all went well! Hang in there. Take it easy and relax. Be gentle with yourself.

• patoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

Alaina - praying all went well and you are regaining your strength. 

• Alaina
    edited August 2009
    Options

i am at my moms house and recovering nicely.  will post more later.

• patoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

God bless you Alaina.  Rest up my dear sister.

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Alaina,

What a good place to be, at Moms--I am hoping each day you are feeling better.

Take care.

Linda C.

• patoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thinking of all of you.  Will say extra prayers tonight that Lord Jesus will send special blessings for you and you and you too!

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies.

Patoo--Thanks for all the prayers, and back to you with love ---and don't stop praying!!!

OK Ya, I had a "fine needle biopsy" on Friday---only after I had to kill a spider that was on the ceiling, that the nurse told me "she could not reach him"Frown OH MY GOSH.  I was trying to take off my blouse and deciding if I was going to climb up in the chair to get that spider(I could see me falling out of that chair, already)--It and I could not be in the same room--won't/could'nt work---well it crawled down the cabinet door and I took off my shoe---History--and I could settle down--Wheeee!!   It was not bad--they gave me a "local anesthetic", it is just one of those things you don't want done.  I look like I have the Mumps on my right jaw and a bruise from the needle under my chin---they said the results will be back late Mon afternoon--so I will keep ya posted---I have been quiet this weekend which is hard for me, as I am always doing something.

OK, Everyone Take Care and Be Blessed---We Are, Are'nt We??!!Smile

Linda C.

• Lcharmie
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hello All,

Well I had a Drs. appt real quick today, as enough was not being told to me on the phone.  Well, there are "Cancer cells in the lymph glands".  Another Challenge of this Journey--I am not giving up!!  Can't ya see me--trying to walk over rocks, around curves, up hills, rain, sleet and snow--With Jesus Carrying me!!!  'Cause that is how it has been these 10 years, 10 monthsSmile!!  

The plan is for a Bone Scan tomorrow---On Sept 3. I will see the Oncologist Radiation , to see if he will treat this.  My Oncologist seems to think radiation will shrink  the tumors.  So here I go again--I am grateful to God for the "Wonderful break of no Chemo", my body may be rested up.

If the Oncologist Radiation decides he does not want to do this and I am not sure why this would come up(unless it falls under Investigational /Experimental) our Company Ins. will not pay for this---then my Oncologist says we will think about Chemo.  Just need to get this show on the road!!

I will keep ya posted to my paths on this Journey--pray for me along the way--Thank You Please!!

Stay Blessed.

Linda C

• patoo
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Linda, sorry for this new turn of events but I'm encouraged because you do know Jesus.  I'll be on pins and needles along with you until you know the next steps.

Prayers going up.

• Lcharmie
    edited September 2009
    Options

Patoo,

Thanks so much for your Prayers and Support !!

I had my Bone Scan yesterday, my nurse called today, Thank God, it was negative.

Tomorrow the Oncologist for Radiation--I will keep ya posted.  I think I have been mentally drained, I went to bed at 10 PM last nite and slept all nite--it is a lot for the mind--for all I have gone through--never ready for such things---I have had 5 Occurances of "this"- in these years-I don't know to count this or not--could not see anything on my chest-red some days but nothing like it was--in my mind it was in remission--it has never gone anywhere but there--only on my chest. 

OK--gonna get to bed, have a 9 AM appointment.

Stay Blessed.

Linda C.  

• indomitable1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Linda- So sorry to hear this but glad to know that the bone scan is negative. I can't imagine this long journey you've been on, this fight you're fighting. But do know that the Word says that the victory is in  running the race with FAITH. It's by His might. I have no doubt that you're winning. Will continue to keep you in prayer as always. Hope your appointment went well today.
    Know that you're loved, supported, and lifted in prayer by your on-line family. You are quite a mentor and source of encouragement to so many. We thank you. God Bless!

Hope all that are on chemo are well and that Alaina is recuperating w/o incident.

Peace!

• patoo
    edited September 2009
    Options

ditto Indomitable1's post.  (yeah, lazy today but you said it so well!)

• Lcharmie
    edited September 2009
    Options

Indomitable1,

Thanks for the Prayers and Support and Love. 

I am certainly walking in Faith--got to!!

Stay blessed.

Linda C.

• Lcharmie
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I too have each one of you lifted in Prayer and also hope everyone is doing well as can be expected---Hang in there---DON'T STOP, DON'T STOP, DON'T STOP!!!  'CAUSE I WON'T!!

OK--It is "Linda Time"----I saw the Radiologist Oncologist yesterday---we talked, he gave me 4 options--Do Nothing, Radiation, Chemo, or Surgery(after surgery, most likely Radiation anyway.)

When he explained the Radiation, 7 weeks, 5 days a week---the radiation will be going near my salivary glands, which will cause dry mouth(that could last up to 2 years afterward) also that it would certainly affect my taste in food(this too, lasting up to 2 years or could be permanent) also my throat will be sore and inside of my mouth, we know the skin will be burned-- Also I would need to see a Dentist prior to this who is familiar with what Radiation does to teeth--and make sure all is OK before we ever would start--if any teeth needed to be pulled or filled we needed to wait 2 weeks---Well I decided I don't think I want to do NONE of that.  He explained the surgery and the large area on the right side of my face, that would have to be done--he was just telling me like it was--To do nothing is not the thing to do--I could see why some one may make that choice---So I knew before I left his office---I will do Chemo---I know this sounds like "What?" to anybody!!  I have done Chemo for 6 years straight (7 different Chemos)and while I don't like it,  for now it seems the lesser of those 2 options---he called my Oncologist and they both agreed--it was a choice I could make, so I will see my Oncologist next Fri. to see what Chemo to go on.  I feel it is like this anyway, If the Radiation did not work, I would have to do Chemo, If the Chemo does'nt work, it will be Radiation--I will do this and give it, as I have to God.

Yesterday was so long and I was in bed before 10 last night--that is way early for me.  My family is sad, they are and have been very supportive.  Today, I did not go out of the house, it was like I just could'nt--I did stay busy, done laundry and dusted my furniture--just busy work to not think.  I have passed this way time and time again, but I am never ready for it, and it knocks me for a loop each time, I will give myself time to grieve and be up for the Challenge--CONTINUED!!!

My jaw is less swollen from the Biopsy, got a bruise under my chin from the needle, it is tender, otherwise, physically, I feel great---Mentally---Well!!!  Deep Subject!!! 

Thank Ya, for letting me share with you and listening to me ramble on and on.

Stay Blessed.

Linda C. 

• indomitable1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Linda-what a tough decision to make. Just know that the steps of the righteous are ordered.....So, remain prayerful and Cast your cares on Him. You know the deal. And we will continue to keep you lifted in prayer. My heart goes out to you because after even an incomplete course of chemo, I now know what a toll it takes on you and your body.....so I can't even imagine 6 years straight. Yes, I'd think it's definitely ok to allow time to grieve. I'll be keeping your family in prayer as well. God knows that you are a CONQUEROR as well as a SURVIVOR. 

• Lcharmie
    edited September 2009
    Options

Indomitable1,

Thank You--For your Prayers and Support.  

Yep--not giving up---This stuff will have to catch me running, I will not lay down for it.

I 'journal" everyday and have for these past years of this "journey", I end each writing, "Moving Under Gods Graces", I not only write it, I Believe It, I Know It!! 

In those 6 years I have been so Blessed--when I would tell folks I did Chemo every week, there were many questions--because they could not understand my being up on foot and my attitude, oh, I had my days, it takes too much energy to be "down" certainly, for as long as I have gone through this!!  Today, I got up and out of this house to Walmarts---that will get a person out of a funk---Labor Day weekend too??!!  I am just Thankful to God to just BE!!

Stay Blessed.

Linda C  

• Lcharmie
    edited September 2009
    Options

EVERYONE---HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND!!Smile

Linda C.

• indomitable1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Linda-Again you are inspirational. I believe I told you before that the Word says we overcome by the words of our testimony! Tell it! BTW, you're on our prayer list at church.

Happy Labor Day All!!

• Lcharmie
    edited September 2009
    Options

Indomitable1,

Thanks so much!!!   I pray that God "Blesses each person greatly" that takes the time to pray for me.

Stay Blessed.

Linda C.

• Lcharmie
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I hope this note finds everyone doing as well as we/you can.

I had my Drs. appt. today--- He was going to put me on Caboplatin, Abraxene, and Herceptin--well I ask him about the Herceptin and Navelbine--it is what I was on and done well by this.  He agreed we try it--these don't take your hair out--I start Sept. 28th.  I am OK by this-- will get this show on the road--I just needed a few more days to be free.  I am staying maintained mentally as well as possible.

Praying for all of you--Be Blessed.

Linda C.

• patoo
    edited September 2009
    Options

Linda, thanks for sharing and do keep us updated on how you are doing.  Will keep you in prayer that the tx will go smoothly.  How long does the tx last and how often?

• indomitable1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Yes, Linda, we, too, will continue to keep you in prayer. God Bless You!

Patoo, Blessed, Journey-Hope all is well with you all. Alaina-pray that your recovery is going well.

Peace.

• Lcharmie
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thanks Ladies for all your support, thought and prayers, it means so much to me.

I will do the Herceptin and Navelbine every week--the Dr. seems to think the results may be quick and then he would drop off the Navelbine as it is a Chemo and keep me on the Herceptin longer.  I will just "roll with it", get this in check.  I feel good, my energy is good.  Just staying busy and also taking supplements that may help build my system up---the Navelbine  causes low white blood counts--I have been Blessed to not get too sick even if I did get a cold.  I try to run past everything--even this cancer--might knock me down--but I can't be there--so up I will try to be!!

Praying all is well for each of you---stand strong!!!

Linda C.