Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone on just Taxotere and Cytoxan?

Options

Comments

• sharonw
    sharonw Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi girls - I'm enduring the se's from TX #3 - had the treatment on Tuesday 2/19 - I guess blessedly only the same ones - dead taste buds - everything tastes just plain bad and the body aches have kicked in - am taking Advil and brushing my tongue twenty times a day - the weather in Northern Virginia is grey and cold - I hate this time of year and have promised myself a nice warm vacation this time next year after all this shit.  My best friend from LA just left this morning - she came to take care of me this week and I love her so for being here - it's hard on her to see me so sick.

I wish I could wave a wand and my last treatment would be done - two weeks from this monday - I am also researching choices in radiation therapy now and want to know if anyone has had external beam partial breast radiation in either the supine position (face up on table) or the prone position (face down on table) - anyone out there with these experiences?  Am interested in what docs are saying regarding outcomes of partial vs whole breast radiation?

Thanks -

Sharonw

• 40somethingMom
    40somethingMom Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2008
    Options

For the record, my last comment was before all this:

My 1st tx was easier than this time!!, I was hyper & had some bathroom challenges---This time with my 2nd tx day 3-4(day after the nuelasta shot my heart started racing, my skin turned bright red, my face was puffy the second day and my hands started to swell and tingle, bone pain too, extreme fatigue) I tried the vicadan first not much relief and then I went for the STEROIDS since that was the only thing I changed from tx 1 and it really made a difference with in a few hours, my face got color, my heart calmed down......(OBVIOUSLY ALLERGIC REACTION),today/day4  I wake up feeling a lot like last time but more terrible taste some bone aches (which is consistent with taxotere STEROIDS do their job, I'll have to deal with the hyper feelings. No bathroom trouble with the softer vs laxative

• goldilocks
    goldilocks Member Posts: 106
    edited February 2008
    Options

Touching base for the day. Hope everyone is feeling a bit better.  Still no BM, but don't really feel backup up. The rash has really calmed down, I actually had fever on my arms. When you would touch where I was red it was at least 10 times hotter than the rest of my skin.  Doing better today.

Went and got my hair cut short.  Great thing is that we just didn't chop it off, we cut it into a cute pixy.  My regular hair tech was out for vacation, so the gal that got the honors was a bit nervous.  She even said that when I come in next time we could go shorter.  Think she didn't get the picture. I asked her to tell my regular person I'd swing by in a couple of months.  She said that I would probably need to shape my hair up more than every 8 weeks. Tongue out  She even has had a family member that is a breast cancer survivor and she lost all her hair during the treatments. Funny this is that she said she understood why the short hair cut, but I guess she just didn't want to comprehend.  My husband plans on searching for all my hats and scarves out in the shed today.  Never thought I would need them, but good thing I didn't give them away.  I actually was hanging on to them incase someone I knew would need them. Oh well, guess they were for me.  Maybe after this is all over this time, I best just get rid of them.  That way, I won't need them again. Just a thought.

Work went well yesterday, I was just sluggish all day. Feel pretty go so far this morning, and plan on not over doing it this weekend. 

Everyone enjoy the weekend the best you can.  That's what I plan on doing. Wink

• guitarGrl
    guitarGrl Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2008
    Options

I think the way I'm getting through chemo is by looking at myself as a science project. Yes, on day 11, I also got the rash. Then on day 15, my hair started falling out (I think - I had it shaved on day 13 but I'm feeling some smooth patches that weren't there before).

It's bizarre, but I read all your stories, and it's like a checklist of things to look out for. I love it. One of my friends isn't reading anything and she freaks out when she gets the rash or whatever. So I see her at work and tell her "it's normal." Well normal for us.

So far except for feeling really tired all the time (and the rash, and the dead taste buds), I feel like I've gotten off easy. Does anyone just sail through this thing?

• PAlady
    PAlady Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hello Ladies!

Well, I used the Claritin this week starting on Monday when I got my shot and it made a HUGE difference in my spasms. I had way fewer spasms over the two days (Thursday and Friday) and they were significantly milder. They still started and ended at the same times that they usually do, but they were actually bearable this time. At times they were almost unnoticeable. I am going to do it again for my next round.

Wendy - when will they check your blood counts again? I hope you don't have to get the shots again, too.

Guggerty - I could laugh afterwards too. What was really funny was after I spoke to the receptionist, she told me to sit and as I was sitting there bent over, I could hear her saying into the phone, "No it's not the patient, it's the patient's mother" twice, like the nurse wasn't getting what was happening. I just wanted to crawl under a rock!

Sunshine - Glad your 2nd treatment went well. I hope those blasted SE's stay away from you!

Goldilocks - Glad you got 1 down!  Are you having four rounds? Do they skip giving you the shots over the weekend? Hopefully you don't have to deal with the bone pain from those shots. Did they do anything about your rash? Is it itchy, too?

Beegirl - Glad you got 1 down, too. I hope you don't have to deal with too many se's, either.

Lotdgs - what chemo did you have to do the first time around? Have fun with your friend. That sounds like a great thing to do before starting this.

Sharonw - how nice to have a friend with you for the week. I had a good friend come up from North Carolina for my second treatment. I loved having her here. Have you met with your radiologist yet? I haven't gotten details yet on what I will be doing. I really haven't looked into it enough to know there are options. Please let us know what you find out. We'll probably be starting around the same time. What is the date of your last round of chemo? Mine is March 7 (yeah!).

40something - that is scary about the reaction. Do they think it is from the chemo or the shot? Hopefully you are starting to feel a little better.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

• bdatlanta
    bdatlanta Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2008
    Options

Cancer depression is killing me. Can't sleep. Can't eat. we all know that those are the 2 things achemo patient needs. Its 4:30 am and sleep is not my friend.  Been like this for days.

Can't even pinpoint why I'm depressed. Just am. Its not work - I'm working on a really cool special project. Not my house - I ran away to our house in the country for the past few days. Not family - my best family member, grandmother, is only 150 feet away. by the way, I shocked the crap out of my grandma with my new baldness.  This is her first time seeing me since the treatments.  She recovered and gave me a somewhat compliment that I officially look like my dad. She's 84 yrs. old so I let her get away with that crack.

I might be doing some early anxiousness since my next treatment day is only 5 days away. Damn, I so don't want to do this again. Shit!

Where did the 3 weeks go? It's like the moment you start feeling well you have to go through the pain again. Now I have to start thinking about who is going to sit with me next Friday. My backup mother is going to be away on a business trip.

Took an Elavil (old school sleeping pill) and maybe it will kick in soon.

• WellWater
    WellWater Member Posts: 4,524
    edited February 2008
    Options

PA:  I met with my radiation onc BEFORE I strarted chemo - can't remember who told me I should do that but I did.  I'm in the TAILORx study and I have a clinical nurse who calls me or runs in to see me while I'm having chemo and anytime I mention anything to her, she's on it like white on rice.  When I asked about radiation last week she had them call me and I'm set up for my tattoos on the

18th of March starting tx on the 25th.  I think you and I are on the same schedule...last tx the 7th of March?  Call your RO and set up an appt for either consult or tattoos.  Gosh if nothing else this crap really makes us humble, doesn't it?   No preacher ever has to tell us to humble ourselves in front of the Lord - we could give lessons in humility after this.

Sharon - Have fun with your friend.....I think we who have best girlfriends are so lucky- they are such treasures. 

Susan:  I'm with you......I have learned so much and having read about so many crazy reactions that gals have it has given me courage.  I keep telling dh that compared with what some go thru I am doing pretty darned well.  Also, if and when something does happen I'm not as frightened as I would be if I hadn't already read that it can be "normal" for us.

bdatlanta:  Depression is pretty "normal" for us and I know that it doesn't make a lot of sense and our friends and families don't get it but it's real.  However, try not to let it overtake you - if you need chemical help getting thru it...do it.  I've been taking sleeping pills everynight and couldn't care less at this point if I become dependent on them - right now I need sleep and if this is the only way I can get a good night's sleep then so be it.  I have a wonderful support system, family, friends, great jobs and good life but when I hit the bed at night I don't want the dark thoughts swirling and making me too tired to enjoy my life........

The sun in shining here in northwest IN and it's like a heat wave (30's) so as soon as I can leave the bathroom I'm heading out shopping with friends.  Oy, I want my old body waste management system back.................

• KathyL
    KathyL Member Posts: 109
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi girls.  just checking in quickly.  Hope everyone is doing well and comes out of their SE haze soon.  The sun is finally shining here in DE and it's been such a relief and mood booster. 

bdatlanta:  I feel you on the depression.  I think we all go there at times.  I know I have had some pretty tough days recently.  I agree with what guggerty said-- get help in any way, shape, or form-- meds, counseling, both---whatever it takes.  This is not an easy journey-- even our closest family can't quite understand what this is like.  But there is light at the end of that dark tunnel, girl!  Vent here and keep us posted.  WE all get it for sure!

• goldilocks
    edited February 2008
    Options

Today has been the toughest for me. Was up at least 2 hours last night with the dry heaves, stomach cramps, and constipation. Finally went for a suppository and that helped me some.  Just dragging.  I don't get the shots over the weekend, and so today my entire body feels like it has been in the boxing ring for hours. Thank goodness for pain meds. The only thing that I can take is Davacet. Everything other type of pill has become an allergy.  I wake up with puffy lips, and a bright red face.  That is quite a site. Still getting use to pillows when I sleep and my muscles are so achy...thank goodness that I can still continue to heal during all this. Pain is not my friend. My challenge is that my tollerance is high to medicine and low to pain. It takes alot to help relieve me. Getting hooked is the last concern for me. Just want to get through it. I want to look at it as only 3 more, not 1 down.  My body really does remember that I have been through this before...not pleasant. Not itching much any more just need to relax.  My hubby is so understanding, that when I go up, he asked if I needed anything to help me relax better.

Ladies, we will get through this. Knowing that I'm not alone in this "suffering", is a bit consoling. Sorry that we have to do this, but I prefer this to the alternative.  Stand strong my sisters and have a self-centered day. Tomorrow will be here soon enough.Smile

• 40somethingMom
    edited February 2008
    Options

goldilocks-- You sound like an allergic reaction like I had?  The steroids really helped me with the red face, puffy lips.... ?  can you take them are you already? 

What you said about the girl not understanding about your hair is how I felt, before I lost my hair every time i tried to talk to a friend about losing my hair they would all say, maybe you won't loose it.  it drove me nuts!

I also have decided to not worry about addiction to meds I am taking sleep aid every night or I can't sleep!  Only 8 more weeks I can get through all this!

It's true we going through this are the only ones who can really understand what we are all going through,  so glad to have this site to vent!!

Sun in Michigan as well, I just love it, went for a beautiful walk today with my husband and dog,  made my day!

• guitarGrl
    guitarGrl Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2008
    Options

40something - I hear you about the hair. My favorite is "just because your doctor said you'd lose your hair, doesn't mean it's going to happen."

Then there are the - it's oks. "It always grows back thicker and without the gray". Oh yeah? My doctor didn't tell me *that*

I'm jealous - we are supposed to have the good weather, but it's pouring rain today. But those of us in the San Diego area are getting together for lunch today, so I'll have people around me who understand.

• nomadnan
    nomadnan Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hello, everyone!

I'm halfway through my 4 TC treatments. If I'd have had better information in the beginning, I think my experience would have been okay. Long story. I'm grateful for this group.

Had 1st tc on 1/31/08. Neulasta on 2/1/08. This was followed immediately by nightsweats, jittery feelings, metallic taste, lost taste for most things. And just weird feelings in my body, as if I could feel this poison in there killing things. Achy, like corkscrews in my bones from Neulasta, I think. Some tingling, not too bad.

I had never experienced heartburn before, so when it started, I thought I was having a heart attack. At 0322 one morning, I was writhing in pain, and decided not to call 911--just let whatever was supposed to happen- happen. I was scared and just wanted to quit. Frankly, I was hoping for the heart attack.

Later that day, I got very serious with my MedOnc, and I got the meds I needed for nausea, nerves, pain--both light and heavy. I had been taking Advil which had only made my stomach irritation worse. In short, I starting taking whatever control I could take. Since then, things are much better. 

My hairloss started at day 10, I had my hair cut very short then and actually liked it and liked having the transition to having my head shaved just less than a week later. I got a wig that I'm still adjusting to, but I just wear a cap at home. My nails are still okay, no discoloration or pain or chipping.

I had my 2nd treatment 2/21, and I'm feeling tired today after lots of energy yesterday. I have a sore throat, also, which I had the 1st time. My blood count was good, so I didn't have to have Neulasta this time.

I'm resting, drinking lots of water and eating small amounts frequently. Mostly I seem to do better with cooler foods, like a sandwich that I can stretch out, rather than eat all at once. Most things have lost taste to me, but I've found certain things that taste good like Root Beer, which I hardly ever drink. Cold feels and tastes the best, I guess.

I've been told that with each treatment, I'll become more tired and more prone to infection. I'm being very careful with everything I can think of to avoid any problems. I came here today to check into that subject, but I know how it feels to be searching and if my little story helps anyone here, I'm happy about it.

The best advice I could give anyone is to be prepared. I'm new in a smalltown--a "nurse practicioner" provided good info 2 weeks after my 1st treatment. However, I do like the RN, Pharmacist, and the Onc, so we have progress. Only 1 Support Group here, meets 1x/month, but I was sick on that date. Again, I'm very grateful for this group.

I guess it's a different experience for everyone, however we get into it. I can say that as I've taken more control, I'm not great, but I feel better and not as scared. I know I've still got a long way to go, but at least, I feel I can do it now.

Positive thoughts and the best of everything to all of you.

• Dean15
    Dean15 Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2008
    Options

Getting ready for TC number two of four tomorrow. Started the dexamethasone(steroid) today. Head head, racing heart and crying have began. Hoping to have most se under control this time. Heartburn was terrible last time.

Yes positive thoughts and best of everything to all of you.

Tammy

• wrsmith2x
    wrsmith2x Member Posts: 127
    edited February 2008
    Options

Well here I am on day 10 of 3rd round and have to go get blood counts done today.  I am hoping that the Echinacea has done its job and boosted my wbc's so I won't have to have that damn Neupogen shot again.  Sorry for the language but I hate those shots!  They make my bones hurt so bad!

Anyway, other than that I am doing OK.  Every time I look in the mirror I am sad, though.  As vain as I am I DO NOT like the way I look.  I know its temporary but I am feeling alot less than attractive these days.  Oh well.....

Hope all have a great week and hope your se's are light and fleeting.

Cheers!

Wendy

• WellWater
    WellWater Member Posts: 4,524
    edited February 2008
    Options

Good Morning:  Hope everyone is ok this morning.  I made my "baseball cap" debut yesterday while on a shopping trip with friends and found that unless you have something really weird sticking out of the middle of your head, people really don't pay much attention to you at all.  And that's a good thing.  Cashiers are kinder and more patient and that's also a good thing so I know now that when our weather gets warmer, I won't have a problem just slapping a baseball cap on and running out.  I'll wear wigs for work or going out to dinner, etc., but for everything else, I'm just not going to worry about trying to pretend I'm not bald.

Welcom Nomad - Good luck with your s/e's.  I can tell you that I have NOT become more tired with each tx (just finished #3) and if I'm more suseceptible to infection, you couldn't prove that by me.  I have been super careful from the start to make sure I wash my hands, etc, that my food is cleaned properly and if there is someone with a cold or flu in the general vicinity, I wear a mask.  I do find that around day 8 I seem to feel as tho I'm "coming down with something"...tired, achy - my nurse said that was when the Neulasta was leaving the bone marrow and coming out to do its job battling the low wbc counts. 

Good luck Wendy, I hope you can pass on the nasty-lasta shot also.

I have found that popsicles are refreshing and eat a couple each night, other than that everything else has that lovely styrofoam taste.  When do our taste buds return?????

• KathyL
    edited February 2008
    Options

Goldilocks:  Have you tried Miralax for constipation?  I tried EVERYTHING, and this worked the best.  I start it the night I do chemo, and continue it for 4-5 days.  No more nausea and stomach cramps from being backed up!  Miralax used to be prescription only, but it's over the counter now and works without cramping-- it's so gentle I use it all the time for kids I see in my office.

Tammy:  just think... halfway there after this round!  Hope it goes well. I found round one was my "learning curve" and round 2 went better with SEs b/c I was better prepared about what to do.

Wendy:  Hope the counts are up today!

Guggerty:  My "buds" seem to disappear for about 7-10 days each round, but then come back again until I do the next round.

I'm getting ready for round #3 on Wednesday.  Tomorrow I see my onc for labs and a check-up.  Gotta start the steroids then, too.  So today's my last day of feeling "normal".  Ho Hum!  I just want to be done!!!  I am SOOOOO tired of doing this.

• 40somethingMom
    edited February 2008
    Options

Day 5 of TX#2 started out good and by the evening I was feeling horrible.  Terrible headaches, throbbing all evening, took motrin, then vicadan, finally ativan.  I wonder if the cold front that came in had anything to do with it or is it my scalp reacting again (anyone have this TX#2)??  This morning is rough still-- with head ache, not to mention the usual terrible taste(miss my morning coffee taste) and bone aches.  I'll forget my plan for the gym and take a morning nap! 

OK, because of some of your comments here, I am going to ask about not taking the neulasta shot for TX3 at my next onc appointment.  My blood counts have all been high, they say that is good??  I am a little afraid of changing things tx #1 was not too bad and when I changed the steroids tx #2 seems to be much worse. What to do--What to do 

Kathy I want to hear good news about TX#3  Good luck to you & everyone!

• goldilocks
    edited February 2008
    Options

Morning all.  Feeling fuzzy and a bit shaky this morning. Did however decide to come to work.  I think it will be better than me staying home not doing anything.  People here have their crazy comments about my hair.  "I really liked your long hair, you shouldn't have cut it."  Guess I just should let it fall out and then see what they say. Oh, sorry did I say that out loud!  I suppose I''m a bit testy today. 

Will be going for the daily shot later.  Food is starting to taste a bit bland.  I can however report that my insides are back in order. At least for the moment. I've noticed that I develop heartburn if I do not take my nausea meds at least 30 minutes before I eat. If I take them, I am doing pretty good. 

So, did just get my hair cut short, and already some pieces are breaking off. My wonderful hubby is going to check in the shed today for all my scarves, hats, etc. so that I will be ready whenever I decide to get into them. Hope everyone has a good day. Thanks for all the encouragement.  Was hoping that I won't struggle so much this time, but will get through this.  My hot flashes are so intense that I actually glow.Cool  Cold drinks help. I usually would drink lots of fluids, now I am having to force myself to drink. Hot tea seems to help keep me better balanced.  Need to get busy, everyone have a good day.

• cc01
    cc01 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2008
    Options

Well girls hair started coming out on day 14 and today is day 17 and there is barely any left. 2nd TC is on 2-29 Friday. Did most of you keep your eye lashes and eyebrows? So far mine are OK and also so far the nails are OK as well.

• chj127
    chj127 Member Posts: 146
    edited February 2008
    Options

cc01 - I am 2 weeks past my 2nd tx, and so far I still have most of my eyebrows (they may be thinning a bit) and I still have more than 1/2 of my lashes.  I guess it's a matter of time. 

Wendy - I'll keep my fingers crossed for your wbc's!!! 

Hang in there everyone.  I still have my cold, though it is getting better.  If not for that, I would feel OK.  I still have 9 more days of feeling decent until my next tx on March 5th.  I have my taste buds for sure - I can't seem to get enough to eat these days!!  It sure is a roller coaster ride.

CHJ

• nomadnan
    nomadnan Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2008
    Options

Thank you for your welcome, Guggerty. Smile
    I took my car in this am and decided, like you, that I'm not going to fiddle with that wig everytime I go outside. I have a soft, kind of slouch hat that I wore, and it was okay--or not. I got through it. I'll try the ballcap approach next time.

I didn't sleep last night--partly, I finally realized, because my hair is still growing in places, and it was scratchy and noisy against the pillow--and the jitters and the night sweats, of course, but finally I'm off of the dexamethason(steroid) today. Maybe that's the difference.

This is Day 4 after 2nd tx. Does anyone else experience a sore throat and laryngitis after the chemo? Not bad, just something I have. By the end of the workday, almost no voice left.

I am new here and have noted how the posts are so varied--we're all in this together, same fears, concerns, etc., yet so varied in our respective situations and where we are as we go through it together. I've learned a whole new vocabulary that I never wanted to learn. It's just so--HUGE--isn't it. The impact on one's life is incredible--a life changing event that I never expected to happen to me. Sometimes, I'm surprised that the rest of the world seems to be moving along as if they don't even know this is happening! Does everyone feel that way? Are you shocked by the numbers of "us" there are? 

I thank all of you who share or just drop in to say hello. 

I plan on coming in every morning to see who's got something scary planned for the day so that I can send out some warm comforting energy to maybe help someone else. 

~Tammy. I hope it's easier this time, at least the unknown is out of the way. At least, that made it easier for me.

Best to everyone this week, wherever you are, whatever's happening with you.

• KathyL
    edited February 2008
    Options

40somethingmom: I would think if your WBCs and ANC are high or even normal, you may be able to forego Neulasta (lucky girl), especially if you have had no problems with them dropping so far.  They are the cells that fight off infection, so high is good; chemo makes them drop low and some people bounce back fine, others don't.  I've not had the HAs you describe.  I hope it's better for you today.  I'm hoping next week I can post some good news for you about #3 Smile . I've had enough drama so far.

goldilocks: I loved your thought on the "hair whore's" comment (I borrowed that one from a gal on another thread that coined it-- love it!).  Like you should just leave your hair long and go to work with it falling out like you're a Chernobyl victim...!  Sheesh, some people just don't get it.

cc01: My eyebrows are thinning on the ends after 2 tx, lashes are ok so far.  I'll let you know the "fallout" after round 3.  I try sooo hard not to rub my eyes and I rarely wear makeup so I don't have to rub the area to take mascara off.

nomadnan:  I had the sore throat after tx 1, but not #2.  I wonder if it was a cold?  I agree with you how everyone else in the world seems to be chugging along in life and I feel like I'm at a standstill watching all of them.  At times (not when I'm on here, of course), I really feel isolated and alone.  And, yes, it's sad/shocking how many of "us" there are.  I hope someday soon they find a cure, so our daughters and granddaughters don't join the ranks.  That is my biggest prayer.  My daughter (she's 5) once asked me if when she grows up, she'd have to take the medicine like me that makes my hair fall out.  It was so hard holding back the tears when I looked into her little face and answered her, "hopefully not, baby".

• sharons
    sharons Member Posts: 177
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi all - Tomorrow is the big day for me.  Went to the store today...to get all the "goods" everyone mentions....miralax, tylenol PM, etc....

Was in Target and started getting very anxious....one of my thoughts was "a stool softener?....I have never needed anything but the morning newspaper to read!"

Since then have been very busy with meetings, paperwork, etc....

afterwork need to pick up the steroid...going to try to stay busy this evening as well.

Any last minute suggestions?  Here is a question...what do you wear...I was thinking sweats and a t-shirt...that is what I feel best in...my college roomie sent me a blanket...it is monogrammed...

norahs....in college when we were tired...our super hero name was our name backwards....

Thanks to all of you

• sharonw
    edited February 2008
    Options

ok girlfriends - it's day 6 after my 3rd TC tx - drugs seem to be staying in my system longer this round - like KathyL, I'm sooo tired of this routine!  But having finished three rounds here are my bits of wisdom:

1.  After round 1 (I did not have any reaction to the premeds) but I was jacked up on steroids (dexamethasone) and then given Neulasta - I asked my onc if I could cut back on the roids and not get the Neulasta unless my counts dropped -he agreed.  Let me tell y'all how much better round two was because of those two changes.

2.  Round two - my counts dropped a little but stayed within normal - they damn well should have after that Neulasta truck ran me over!  There are body aches for me with the Taxotere, and if Advil doesn't work I resort to 1/2 of an Ativan or 1/2 of an oxycodone - I let myself suffer too much through round one.

3.  Round three - same drill - reduced roids (so I can sleep better) and no Neulasta - I have stayed indoors alot these past two weeks because of the flu going around - getting lots of organizing projects done Laughing  FYI - Brows and lashes hanging in there as are nails - hair keeps trying to grow back and then bam hit again with TC and hard earned stubble falls out -

4.  I also do acupuncture and theraputic massage - I swear by both and lots of insurance co's cover acup now

5.  Worse SE for me - dead taste buds and everything tastes like crap - upside - have lost 20 lbs. since TC.

PALady - I finish TC on March 10th - two weeks from today -my girlfriends assure me there will be champagne and bubbles involved !Tongue outTongue out  I am researching rads done in the prone position - on your belly like an MRI - eliminates rads to your heart and lungs - they have done the procedure for years in europe and canada and for the past two years in LA and NYU - I also heard at Sloan.  I had clear nodes and very wide margins and am looking to minimize SEs from rads.

bdatlanta - some ideas to fight the depression - a big one for me has been to make plans for when all this crap is done - I have scheduled already a beach week, a Canyon Ranch stay - they have a special program for BC survivors and spouses both at the Berkshires and Tucson, and I am visiting friends all over the place - I have brochures, photos, etc, all over the house.  Also get in a small walk every day - the air does wonders for the spirit - I do yoga too - (of course onot on my tx weeks)- this is also a great idea - I order small gifts for myself through catalogs to be delivered the first and second week of txs - I look forward to the package on the doorstep - gets me off the chemo couch too - these are not expensive, just something I know I'll love - bath salts, a book, a funny movie, you get the idea.  All of things have helped to some degree - and of course the best tip - when you need to let it out girl - my neighbors have heard me rant at midnight on the driveway - primal scream therapy cannot be underrated!

Sharonw

• 40somethingMom
    edited February 2008
    Options

thanks for sharing shraronw--sounds a lot like what I have been experiencing, although dropping those steroids did not work for me, I will at least ask should I not give myself the nuelasta for tx #3 --we'll see what my onc thinks (I think that shot is a lot of the se I would like to forego)

my hair too has reacted again and seems to have lost a lot of the stubble not gone from tx1 my head is more comfortably smooth --eyebrows are thinner and some eyelashes falling,  I heard the fast growing hair like on head goes first and slower growing brows, eyelashes... happens later

I had the sore throat  tx #1 on day 5 -7

tx#2 day 7 (definitely harder) my headaches have gotten better as the day continues  but I am fatigued and my chest feels heavy 

• Believer0711
    Believer0711 Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2008
    Options

Oh, where have I been? This is the thread I need to be in. I'm getting geared up for my 2nd TC on Thursday (Feb 28).

But my period is flowing like Niagara Falls. I don't feel dizzy or anything, so I think I'm ok. I'm taking iron pills and eating liver to boost my red blood cells. I'm scared of getting anemic!

My hair is going fast. I'd pinch a little, and find 5 strands or more - I go, "Hon I found 5", he'd go "Put them back". So I put them back on my head, sort of replanting them :-> Gotta find humor in this, or I'll go bananas! We have the same haircut now, so at bedtime, we'll rub each other's heads. It felt relaxing.

I had my eyebrows tattooed about 20 years ago, so I have some color there, in case it starts falling. My nails hurt a little, but not that bad.

Congratulations to the ladies who are halfway there, or almost done. It will be over before we know it!

God bless,

Aurora

• PAlady
    PAlady Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi Ladies!

Dean15 - hope your treatment went ok. I have horrible heartburn for about the 1st week and pretty much take Pecid 24/7.

Wendy - I went and got my bloodwork done today too. It was high again at 55, so that is good. I hear you on the whole hair thing, plus I have gained about 9 pounds since I started and it is depressing. I guess I am vain, too! Hope your  counts were good.

Guggerty - I wish I had your outlook!  I wear a scarf out when I am running my kids around etc, but if I have to go in anywhere I wear my wig. (except to the cancer center).

Cc01 - I had my third treatment on the 15th. My brows thinned but seemed to have stopped. My eyelashes may have thinned but not noticeably  A friend of mine had her last TC treatment on January 31st.  I saw her last Wednesday and she still had her eyebrows and eyelashes, they had just thinned a bit - but not anything that anyone would even notice. I was so happy to see that as that mean there is still hope!!!

Chj - I hope you get better soon, girl!  I have the same problem you do - just keep eating. The first week is the worst - I think it is the steroids.

Nomad - Hi!  Yes, I think that feeling that everyone is just going on ads to the depression at times. I think it is just scary how many women are touched by this. And I am really surprised at how many of us are under 50. Just seems like so many of us do not fit into the high risk categories, yet here we are.  It sure helps having others to share it with, though.

Kathy - I am doing the same thing you are on trying not to rub eyebrows and lashes. Even when I put in my contacts I try not touching my lashes. Your daughters comments are so sweet. It's funny how their little minds work, isn't it?

SharonS - Good luck tomorrow. I say just wear something comfortable. I always were a t-shirt with a zip up hoodie.  I take a prayer blanket that was given to me. I always seem to get a little cold there.

SharonW - are you doing the acupuncture and massage during treatment? I would love to try acupuncture. What do you think it does for you? I am just starting to get anxious about the radiation. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea of having to do it when I had clear margins and I have done the chemo. If the chemo is supposed to get the "loose cells" why do I need the radiation? I did the primal scream therapy when I was getting ready to lose my hair - it actually works wonders! ;)

40something - You have to give yourself the shot? I couldn't do it?  Are your headaches sinus headaches? I get them the first week - a decongestant has really helped with them.

Believer - Welcome!  I have had my dumb period with every infusion - it is annoying. My last was very heavy too. Lucky you on having the eyebrows tattooed!

Hope everyone has a good evening.

• sharonw
    edited February 2008
    Options

PAlady-

I get an acupuncture treatment the day before my TC and then again a week later.  Acupuncture for me does the following - relaxes me and gives me energy, lowers my blood pressure (onc nurses cannot even believe how normal mine is all the time), stimulates my appetite and relieves nausea, and I believe it keeps my blood counts up - I haven't had a Neulasta shot since my first tx.  My acup doc also says it keeps my liver healthy to detox the chemo drugs - at any rate, I love to go and was never a big believer but now am!  I also get massages one week after tx - after the taxotere truck runs me over it gives me a lift!  I actually can't wait to start rads - I can see (and smell on taxotere) the finish line!  Or maybe I smell my boobs cooking - lol

Nite,

Sharonw

• beegirl
    beegirl Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2008
    Options

You all are so great at sharing what's going on during this treatment. I can't begin to respond to each of you.

Had tx#1 on the 21st, Neulasta on the 22nd, and ended the steroids and Emend on the 23rd. Yesterday I was achy but managed to go water walking at the pool and out shopping. Unfortunately I continued to take the senokot-S for constipation so had the runs this morning. The Dr's office responded and told me to stick to the BRAT diet for the day. Still feeling achy though did get to the office for 4 hours. Next time I'll have the chemo a day earlier so that I come off the meds on the weekend. I'm getting used to the dry mouth. Hope to do something for exercise tomorrow.

Regards to all having chemo this week.

Bee

• GrandmaWolf
    GrandmaWolf Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Options

Dear SharonW and all you other posters.

I haven't been on this site for quite a while.  I just finished my last t/c treatment 2 weeks ago.   I agree with everyone, the worst SE was what it does to your mouth and taste buds.  Mine are just getting to the point, where I have a "sense" of taste, and everything isn't tasting like something died in my mouth.

I also had that Neulasta shot with every treatment...and yes at first it did add to the body ache of the taxotere. I was in tears.  After tx 2, 3 and 4, it helped to take the Aleve before the aches started. Did you realize that, that two second shot under the skin, cost upward of $2,000? I found, around day 7, if I started taking brisk walks (and yes I had to force myself) when I got back, I was feeling better.

As for bald, at times I do get awfully sick of always having something  on my head; so with big earrings I do go bald. Thankfully, I kept a few eyebrows and lashes, so makeup and big earrings make bald look better. I recently had a very confirming experience at the local grocery store.

This one day, a younger woman cried out as she approached me in the store, "It is SO good to see your bald head."

She was wearing a pink baseball cap, and on closer look, I saw she was as bald as me.  We hugged each other for 30 seconds, never exchanging a word, but moving on.  That hug truly confirmed we were "sisters".

It saddens me that women feel they need to hide their baldness.

We are a strong, proud bunch (despite feeling like @#% sometimes)... and unless it is cold out, men don't feel the sense of "shame" or need to hide their baldness.  I think I'm gonna wash the floor with those wigs.

Starting last fall I was dx with a 2nd primary in my contraleral breast.  Then over in the breast that I had a lumpectomy eight years ago, a 3rd primary was found.  The mention you made SharonW of the prone radiation was very much of interest.  I am finding a "salvage" mastectomy doesn't always yield as much worry from recurrence as it would first appear.  There are many studies looking at a 2nd lumpectomy and this radiation information is worth pursuing.Thanks for bringing up this new information.

To everyone inching to the chemo finish line, I cheer you on.  You too will cross it, and your taste buds will celebrate with a dinner of you favorite foods, a month or so later.

Grandma Wolf  aka Dakota Wolf