Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone on just Taxotere and Cytoxan?

Options

Comments

• sharonw
    sharonw Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2008
    Options

Sunshine - Nose running and bleeding is a SE of Taxotere - not much you can do to prevent it - only treat it - my onc says to use neosporin on a q-tip and to use the over the counter saline sprays often to keep hydrated - I also turned up my humidifier and that helped - oh and try not to blow so hard : )

Have a better day girlfriend!

• KathyL
    KathyL Member Posts: 109
    edited February 2008
    Options

Guitar:  I have used Zofran for nausea and it does not cause sleepiness.  It works great (though it is constipating-- aren't they all though??) and even comes in a dissolvable tablet you just put under your tongue.

Sunshine:  Yes, I have the runny nose, too.  I think the taxotere does it.  I use vaseline around my nose at bedtime and just keep moisturizing during the day.

• PAlady
    PAlady Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi ladies!  Happy Valentines Day!

guggerty - I do hating "losing it" anywhere in public because I cannot cry pretty!  My eyes get red and swollen pretty much instantly and my nose gets red two. I made a beeline for the bathroom to try to cool myself down and just left without trying to make eye contact with anyone!  I am going to Las Vegas with dh the week after my last treatment. I am hoping that my se's are at least consistant so I can enjoy the time away. I hope you can get to go to AZ.  Was your peach fuzz still dark? Mine is pretty much light. 

SharonS - welcome!  It is good to have a plan isn't it? I'm sure if you read back through the thread you will find some great info!

Sunshine - I have had constant sinus problems since starting this. The second time around wasn't quite as bad because I was better prepared. I use vaseline on a q-tip in my nose. I started that earlier this time and made a big difference in the bleeding. I also used a humidifier this time around too. For me the second week is the worst. I have used the saline sprays constantly.

Well I went to the onc this morning in prep for #3 tomorrow. She said everything looked good. My liver enzymes were up a bit, but she wasn't concerned about them yet. She said if they got to 3x higher than normal they would rethink it. I asked her about the claritin for bone pain. She said she didn't agree with that as it is not a histamine reaction. She did say this time I should try the Advil (guggerty!) and if that doesn't work to call in that day for Darvocet. I usually have the bone pain for two days.  I wanted to get control of this so I can deal when on our trip next month. I also started TOM for the third stinkin time since I started chemo.  I thought chemopause was supposed to be an se?!?!

Have a great day everyone!

• WellWater
    WellWater Member Posts: 4,524
    edited February 2008
    Options

PA - I'm so happy you're going to be able to get out of town and into some sunshine or "neon-shine"?  We're hoping to be able to fit that trip to AZ in but with the number of people we would have to visit with and by the radation onc scheduling me to come in earlier than I had thought I'd be going, I'm not sure we'll make it.  We have friends up in MI who have a fabulous home and it might just be a trip up there....we'll see.

I'm a bad weeper also - some gals can cry so beautifully.  I try so hard to stifle it that I cannot even speak.  Oy.

For V day, I had my most wonderful hubby shave my head down to the skin......it really feels weird but I'll get used to it.  I was really getting tired of those little spiky hairs everywhere.  I also notice that my one eyebrown has thinned.....gulp.

Well, today is chemo day for some of us...my 3rd.  I'm packing my "care bag".......a magazine, a book, cottage cheese w/fruit, pudding, yogurt, grapes and some fig newtons, just in case they are a laxative  - :).  I'm going swimming for a good hour and then meeting a friend for breakfast before going in.......

Have a wonderful day............

• sharons
    sharons Member Posts: 177
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hello All - This thread has answered lots of questions, I think will help me prepare for the 26th...still waiting on the call about my port procedure.

PA lady...yes, I am glad to have a plan.....

Everyone have a great weekend...

• Rachelgators
    Rachelgators Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2008
    Options

I started TC on 2/7. The Decadron gave me a bad headache and messed with my blood sugars and I started having joint pain in my hips and back on day 2. I have actually had more diarrhea than anything else. My appetite is okay. I do have some fatigue and my skin got very oily at first. My hair has already become thinner, but you can't tell by looking at it.

• wrsmith2x
    wrsmith2x Member Posts: 127
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hey guys.  Just back from round 3 and it went well except doc was late again and that put my schedule off.  He apologized profusely but it's OK.  Gave me an excuse not to go to work today.  I physically feel like going but mentally don't want to make that drive and be there on a Friday afternoon.  So now I wait.  Fatigue will hit sometime between Saturday nite and Sunday morning and Sunday and Monday I will sleep and "veg" and Tuesday I will recover.  At least that's the way its been going.  Everytime they weigh me I have put on even more weight.  Last year at this time I was on my way to losing 24 pounds (did by end of April) but this year I seem to be putting it back on.  That is making me more depressed than anything I think.  Oh well, I plan on starting the diet back as soon as I get thru the chemo.

Started reading the book my mom gave me and I have to admit its very interesting.  The guy uses thermal imaging to spot "hot spots" in the body where inflammation exists and ALL (without fail) of the women that come in with breast cancer have some issue in their mouth (he calls it Oral Pathology).  And the cancer is always (without fail) on the same side as the mouth issue.  Its just interesting.  I'd like to go and get him to do a scan on me and tell me what's wrong with me.  See if he can really tell (since I already know what's going on) what is wrong with me.  Anyway, if I do that I'll report back to the class on that also.  Hell, at this point I really have nothing to lose.

So I hope that the other ladies (Guggerty and PALady - the ones I know of) that have treatment today do well with it also.  And I hope all of you who are here do well whenever you go.  To the newbies - I have to say that it has been WAAAYYYYY easier than I thought it would be.  I wish the same for you also.

Eyebrows are still hanging on but I can tell eyelashes are thinning a bit.  Hair is still growing on my head and legs but we shaved my head again Wed. nite.  Had a nice VD with husband and some friends.

Cheers to all and better days ahead!

Wendy

• chj127
    chj127 Member Posts: 146
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi Wendy & everyone,

I've been a bit AWOL - had treatment on Monday, & Neulasta on Tuesday.  Wednesday I still felt reasonable, just extremely sluggish & dragged out.  None of the terrible bone & joint pain, though.  But then Thursday I started coming down with a chest cold!  Jeez, I'm coughing and I feel like crap.  I am ache-y all over, and I have no idea if it's the tx or the Neulasta or the cold/flu.  I am so sick of being sick, I could just cry!  I'm sore in the gut from coughing & from the constipation, though I finally had some "movement".  I sure hope I turn a corner soon, because I just want to have a few good days.  Is that so much to ask???

PALady, Trina, and whoever else, hope it goes well for you today.

CHJ 

• sharonw
    edited February 2008
    Options

wrsmith - can you tell me the name of the book about the thermal testing and oral care - I'm interested in reading about that - thx!

• lpacemissoula
    lpacemissoula Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2008
    Options

Oh CGH I'm sorry you are feeling down and crappy today. I feel for you. Having chemo SE's to deal with are more than enough, let alone a chest cold. I hope you can sleep alot and get rid of the cold.

PA Lady, Trina, Wendy I hope your 3rd chemo treatment recovery is not too difficult. I am thinking about you guys.

I have been awol lately because I am studying for a pharmacy certification test that I am taking tomorrow morning. Chemo brain is NOT helping matters. Oh well, if I fail I fail. At least I have an excuse.

My chemo #4 is next thursday. I wish it was my last! I talked to my onc to see if there are any statistics that show the benefits of having six treatments versus four. She said that they won't have those statistics for another 2 years. There are trials going on now to study this. She is going with her gut instinct in having me do six. My oncotype score is very high (35) and the cancer is grade 3 so that plays into the decision.

Good to hear that the runny nose thing is common. It really didn't happen for me until after the 3rd treatment. Haven't had any nail issues either. I am lucky because the neulasta shot does not cause me any pain.

My stomach acid and nausea issues were worse after the 3rd treatment. Also had a searing headache. My onc is changing main primary nausea med from Zofran to Kytril because a SE of Zofran is headache. It also took me several days longer to overcome the fatigue after the 3rd. Once it subsides I am able to run 3-4 miles which helps lessen anxiety/depression. I've always run because of depression. It helps so much!

I wish you all some happiness today and hope you can find a way to pamper yourself.

Laurie from Missoula

• Dean15
    Dean15 Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2008
    Options

Laurie from Missoula, My first treatment was 2/4 and I also had very bad headache from the Zofran. As soon as I took the last one the headache went away. My main se were nausea, heartburn, headache that lasted day 1,2 and 3. Woke up day 2 and day 3 with sunburn "like" redness on face, neck chest and arms. My onc is also changing my main primary nausea meds.

Tammy

• wrsmith2x
    edited February 2008
    Options

Sharonw - The book is "Am I dead?  ......or do I just feel like it." by Fred Hughes.  In case you didn't read all the thread my mom, I fondly call her the witch doctor, is a "natural homeopath will fix everything" kind of gal.  And I do love her for it.  But I don't believe everything she does.  I try to give alot of it the benefit of the doubt and I know that alot of natural things work great.  In fact I take alot of them.  However, my cancer diagnosis was a different issue and I decided to go with conventional medicine.  This guy, Dr. Dowling, who does the thermal imaging says that its the oral pathology that is causing the cancer and if you don't fix that then the cancer can/will come back.  Anyway, I'm skeptical but interested.

CHJ - you have had it so bad and I am so sorry for you.  I sure hope you get better soon and in the words of my great friend Lynne, "Feel your feelings.......cry, rant and rave and whatever you feel you need to do and then move on."  We love you - feel the Love!!!

I am feeling good - having had 2 cosmopolitans by now - woohoo!  Friday night howls!  Have a great weekend, ladies!

Cheers, literally!

Wendy

• lpacemissoula
    edited February 2008
    Options

Tammy,

I'll let you know how the switch from Zofran to Kytril goes. Perhaps your onc will go with Kytril also. You had a worse time of it than I did. I only had the headache for 1 day. Our stomach/nausea issues sound the same. I wonder about the sunburn-like redness. Is that a known SE? I am curious.

Hope you are doing well today, glad to see you posting.

Laurie from Missoula

• lpacemissoula
    edited February 2008
    Options

PALady,

A few days ago did you write about having had a recurrance? If so, how did you find it and what was the treatment? Radiation?

I hope my addled brain did not just make that up. If it was someone else can you comment?

I just had my 3 month chest x-ray and am waiting on the results. It got me imagining that a lump on my left had side was a recurrance. I think it is likely just my rib though! I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and had extra bleeding on the left had side, so now 11 weeks out from my surgery the swelling from the bleed is finally going down.

Hope you are well,

Laurie from Missoula

• PAlady
    edited February 2008
    Options

Grrrrr, I just had a long response in here and lost it! I'll try again.

Treatment went well today. One more to go! Sounds like yours was fine too Wendy - hope the se's are mild. Hope yours went well too guggerty.  My stomach is all acidy again. No nausea, but lots of acid. Took a pepcid and am now wishing I would have taken the max strength. Will do that in the am. I have a feeling I may be a bit more tired this time. I took a nap for about an hour and a half this late afternoon. Normally I can't nap till Monday. But I only slept about 4 hours last night, so it could be that.

Wendy - When you were talking about that book, it reminded me of this story (don't know why, though!).  Last April I went to a medium for the first time in my life. I was always interested but quite skeptical. From the time I sat down, she was right on many things and on a lot of specifics, not just generalizations. Fast forward to a few weeks after I was diagnosed, and I remembered she had mentioned something about a mammogram. So I sat and listened to the tape I had of the reading. She had asked me if I get mammograms. I told her I did. She asked if I just had one or was just due for one. I told her I wouldn't get one until July. She told me in the mean time I need to start doing self breast exams so I could get to know exactly the shape and feeling of my breasts. I did not do this. I had my mam done in July and it was all clear. Then in October I was getting ready to take my son to school and had an itch. I felt a lump quite by accident. I went to get a sonogram and mammogram two days later and they still did not see the lump on the mammogram. I guess hindsite is 20/20. It was pretty weird to go back and listen to that tape, though!

I have noticed my eyelashes are thinning too. I just want my lashes and eyebrows to hang in there until our trip. I am not going to bother shaving my head anymore. It is growing and I feel like I would be going backwards by shaving it. If I don't lose any more of this, then I will probably just even it out when it gets a bit longer.

Rachelgaters  and Dean15 - Hi and welcome. Not a great reason to have to meet, but it's a great place to be if you have to.

chj - ((((Hugs))))  You need to be cut a break, girl! Sending you healing thoughts.

Laurie - That is great that you get to run. I have been on my tm 3-4 days a week since I started. I did intergrate a bit of running this past week. When I turned forty I started the C25K program. My goal was to get to run in a 5K race this year. Unfortunately I was in a ski accident in March and injured my back. I never recovered enough before all this started to get back at it. I couldn't get past walking. So I was very happy to get in some jogging this past week. I think even just the walking does so much good mentally. I get headaches off an on throughout just from the sinus junk.

I have not had a recurrence, but I was asking Leesa who had popped in about hers. I just had a lumpectomy on 11/15. I had some changes in the breast shape and of course my mind went all over the place too. I don't see the surgeon again until July. I asked onc about it and she said it is normal to still see some changes to the shape this far out. It just freaks me out though!

Good luck on your Test!!

Stay well, ladies!

• WellWater
    WellWater Member Posts: 4,524
    edited February 2008
    Options

Good Morning:  Well another sleepless night - oy.  I thought for sure that since I didn't sleep before my chemo tx, I'd sleep (as has been the case) last night since I know I won't be sleeping tonite or tomorrow night.  I guess I'll have to take a sleeping pill - I really need to sleep.  I know it's the steriods that they give me that keeps me awake.

Wendy:  We must have the same doctor - mine was late also and the chemo nurses get so antsy because they want to be done early on a Friday....and I'm a 3-1/2 hour minimum.  They hustled him into my exam room before lots of others to get me going.  My blood counts were, in the word of the blood tech "fabulous" so all my doc did was run the stethoscope over my chest and off I went.

My clinical nurse came to see me in treament and said that I would definitely get the tingling in the hands and fingers (s/e from T) .....that could range in severity from mild to crippling where I would not be able to button a shirt BUT it would be temporary.  I said I had never experienced it and she said it generally comes after the 3rd tx.  Now, wouldn't you know that today my hands and fingers feel a little numb and tingly?  Great, just what I needed.  She looked at my nails and thought they looked just fine and I shouldn't worry about losing them.  One nice thing.

All the nurses agreed that it is NOT the Neulasta shot driving the Mack truck which will do me in this weekend but the chemo.  The N lays dormant until 6-10 days out when it comes out to do battle with the low wbc's.  I go in today at 11am to get my shot - cracks me up how we are all on such different protocols. 

PA - My eyebrows are thinning.....and I'm being careful not to wipe them.  I had to shave my head - the peach fuzz had been growing until this past week when it starting shedding....those little spiky hairs are so annoying when they shed and get caught in your shirt - like you've just had a haircut.  And, when I picked my head up off my mom's pillow and saw the massive amounts of little hairs I knew it was time.  I hope you can keep yours.....along with a few eyebrows and eyelashes.

CHJ:  So sorry to hear that you are again dealing with an infection.  There have been several reports on the news this week that the flu has hit the states and it's a pretty bad strain.  I live in such fear of picking up a bug.  I wanted to ask if you have contact with small children?  My friend had a heart transplant last summer and had to stay away from his grandchildren for months - even now he has minimal contact and will wear a mask if he's going to be around all of them.  Do you see your PCP for this or your Onc? 

LPACE:  Good luck on your test....what a bummer having to study and deal with this at the same time!!!  Yes, sweetie, your onco test score was higher and having those 3 nodes definitely plays into the number of treatments......but before you know it, you'll be done - well maybe you WILL know it, but time flies whether we're having fun or not.  My O score was 15 and with no bad nodes I could have opted out of chemo but decided I needed to throw everything I could at this and hope for the best.  I think your Onc is making a right decision for you at this time.

Rachel and Tammy - Welcome, glad to get your input on this board.   Sorry to have to meet this way..........

Have a good day gals.......Trina 

• Rachelgators
    edited February 2008
    Options

Is anyone having muscle pain in the upper back and shoulders? I feel very stiff, like I have done a lot of upper body exercise. Also, my hands are starting to hurt. Even though I know what the side effects are, I am having a hard time knowing what is "normal" to expect.

Rachel

• Rachelgators
    edited February 2008
    Options

One more question--I have a friend who keeps asking me if I have considered trying Juice Plus supplements (I know, just one more piece of unsolicited advice). Just wondering if anyone has heard about whether that or Mona Vie or anything else like that have helped SE's. Thanks.

Rachel

• guitarGrl
    guitarGrl Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2008
    Options

hey guys - you all put everything in perspective for me. When I read about all your SEs, I realize how lucky I've been so far.

Of course I'm only 1 week past treatment 1 & probably shouldn't jinx myself by writing this, but so far except for sleeping a lot the first weekend & dry mouth & the fact that everything tastes like cardboard, I'm ok. I've felt like me since Wed. Of course I had to test what would happen if I didn't brush my teeth after every time I ate, and those results weren't pretty. And we won't talk about biking home in the cold rain ...

This Wed., I'm taking a preemptive strike and having a balding-out party. One friend will shave my head and a few of us will go out for drinks afterwards. Well, they'll drink- so far I've only tried beer & it tasted like carbonated cardboard. Everything I've read points to hair starting to fall out on day 14 or so, and I just can't deal with that or peach fuzz - so bald I go.

I've also had no Neulasta or anything & feel fine. Biked to work on Thursday and walked yesterday (about 1 mile uphill). So am I in the honeymoon period or did things slam down on you from day 1?

The thing I'm truly dreading is the tingling. Good to know I have 2 more treatments before that starts!

susan

• PAlady
    edited February 2008
    Options

Rachelgators - Did you have a neulasta shot or the neupogen shots? They can cause aches and pains for a day or two. I have had pains in my fingers after each treatment, but it only lasts for 2 -3 days and it was usually within the first week.  As far as supplements, I wouldn't take any without talking with your onc. Wouldn't want to interfere with the chemo.Wink

Guitargirl - Glad you are feeling better. My hair started loosening about day 15 and was then clumping out on day 18-19. Shaved it on the 19th day. Good luck with yours!

• sharons
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi Ladies...Hope all that are feeling under the weather, perk up over the weekend...Laurie from Missoula and Susan good to see you are still exercising...I am going to try to keep it up...sweating, especially in the winter helps my mood...I signed up for the Shamrock Half long before this diagnosis...I still plan on going....the date will hit 2 days before my second treatment....so we will see.  If I can't run I will cheer on everyone else and it will be a nice little beach vacation before treatment #2.

Sharon

• trumpet84
    trumpet84 Member Posts: 22
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi Everyone!  The sun is out and the sky is blue here in Northern VA and I hope it is where you are as well!  What seemed like a long time before round #1 (2/25) last week feels like a supersonic jet stream this week.  I am going to get my hair cut off 2/18, labs 2-19, final dental work & cleaning 2-20, port installed 2/22, high school play 2/23, and I am sure something will creep in 2/24!! 

Stay well ladies & thanks for the continued support and dialogue!!

Trumpet84  

• wrsmith2x
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hey guys - just checkin' in to say hi and hope that all are feeling well today.  The mack truck has rolled over me today but at least he hasn't backed up and rolled over me again yet.  Doc says se's would be less and less and so far he seems to be right.  Will veg on the couch and watch Daytona with hubby today.  I thinks its supposed to rain today (and since we are in a drought that's a very good thing) so it should be a good day to lie around.

Hope all your se's are less also.  Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

Cheers!

Wendy

• KathyL
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi girls!  I've had a fairly boring weekend, which is a nice change for me.  Other than a cold with congestion and runny nose, all my SEs have subsided...for now!

Guggerty:  so sorry to hear about your brows and lashes.  Mine are holding on so far, but tx #3 next week my do them in.  I notice that when I've plucked some borws to neaten them up, they come out way too easily!  I'm also trying not to rub my eyes at all.

Trumpet:  It's probably good that you're going to be so busy before your first chemo.  I found this was my best distraction beforehand.  You'll do fine-- the anticipation really is the worst.  And of course we're all here to help you through the roller coaster ride of SEs.

Guitar:  You sound like you're doing very well.  Good to hear it!  I found that most of my SEs hit on day 3-4.  I had tingly fingers after round one on day 5-6, but none on this past round #2.  I have #3 next week and will be curious to see what comes this time.  Round 2's fatigue and aches definitely hit me harder than round 1.  Everyone seems to think the fatigue is cumulative, but some of the other SEs like aches and pain are better with round #3.  I had not heard about the n-pathy starting with round #3-- everyone I've talked to (so far), said their's happened right away.  It's weird how everyone is so diffenrent and even each round for one person can be different.  Keeps us all guessing...

Hope everyone has a good week!

• KathyL
    edited February 2008
    Options

Wendy:  We must've been posting at the same time!  It's soooo good to hear your onc say the SEs are LESS each time-- that's the first I'd heard that and it gives me some hope for round 3 next week. 

• guitarGrl
    guitarGrl Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2008
    Options

Ok guys - a strange question. Can you have steroid flashbacks? I'm still feeling good, but nowhere near as bouncy as I was yesterday when I ate everything in sight & couldn't fall asleep till after 2.

Yes I am a child of the '60s. Could be I was just reacting to not reacting to the poisons.

susan

• sharonw
    edited February 2008
    Options

Good afternoon TC Girls -

Trumpet84 - I live in Leesburg, VA - and my onc is in Fairfax - do you live nearby?

KathyL - I go for my third TC treatment this Tuesday - am feeling strong - have stayed indoors all weekend - going a little stir crazy but want to avoid crowds - lots of flu going around here and that's the last think I need on top of chemo!  so far my worse side effect on TC has been the metallic taste and dead taste buds for the first two weeks - things get back to normal the last week and then am hit again.  I continually worry about the neuropathy from TC - am praying to get thru without it.  Nails, eyebrows and lashes hanging on-  good luck with your third tx!

• trumpet84
    trumpet84 Member Posts: 22
    edited February 2008
    Options

Good Evening!

KathyL- Yes in deed; the anticipation is crazy!  Thanks for the encouragement!

Sharonw - I am about 10 miles away from you in SR!  I have to go to WRAMC in D.C. to my onc.  I only wish I could go to Fairfax...so much closer!

• sharons
    edited February 2008
    Options

Trumpet84 and Sharonw...I am down here in the shenandoah valley....I am with trumpet the waiting is getting a bit old...I do well during the day, but then at night I eat everything in sight.....

I hope everyone has a good week

• KathyL
    edited February 2008
    Options

Sharon W:  Keep us all posted on #3 and how you do.  Sounds like you'll do well.  I have the dull "buds" too for about a week-10 days after each round.  I have to say though that my worst SE has been the bone aches for 2 days after each round (day 3-5).  And the constipation just about killed me the first round... I learned my lesson for round #2 and it wasn't as bad then.

Good to luck to anyone having TC this week!  Kick some BCA girls!