Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is anyone else an atheist with BC besides me?

Options

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited September 2022
    Options

❤️❤️❤️

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,944
    edited September 2022
    Options

I love her and that smile!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,074
    edited September 2022
    Options

Traveltext, your article, Thanks for your offer of prayer, but I'm an Atheist, really resonates with me. I’ve never read such a thorough story on the topic. You received so many incredible insights from members of bco.org, and added your own.

I use the “look up” feature on my ipad daily to find out what words mean. I’d always heard the word proselytizing, which you use in the article, but never knew its meaning till now: the policy of attempting to convert people's religious or political beliefs, to induce someone to convert to one's faith.

Wow. This is exactly what I’ve been subjected to numerous times this past year. I didn’t realize there was a name for it.

So many excellent insights in the piece:

“I haven't ever thought that suddenly believing in the unprovable, illogical fairy tales would be particularly helpful. I adhere deeply to morality, values and ethics, but I haven't ever felt the need to shop at the religion mall to acquire those.“

“…..I have been able to dig deep and find inner strength. There is nothing comforting to me about abdicating responsibility for my health and happiness to a supernatural being."

When a woman received her mbc diagnosis a couple of years ago, she found that "the only things that could truly relieve her anxiety were love, medication, exercise and meditation. "So I guess these are my gods and my religions now."

“Not once did I blame a deity when these series of unfortunate events transpired, nor did I thank one when they were over. I put my trust in science and reality. I balanced all the bad things with time in nature, from taking short recovery walks in a woodsy park to longer day and multi-day trips to other parks.“

“Whilst I’m not overly spiritual, as a humanist I believe in common values, freedom, and the independence of human beings, and place great store in morality.

After a bc diagnosis: “The effort some put into prayer, I put into research”

I’ve bookmarked the story to keep as a handy reference. Thanks for posting the link.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thank you for sharing TravelText.

Love it miriandra!

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited October 2022
    Options

wrenn, yep, can’t live with BCO, can’t live without BCO. It’s the people, for sure. The smart, friendly, lovely people. They’re not everywhere these days.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022
    Options

I had a nice phone conversation with my now former line dance teacher. I planned on going back to class after taking August off to enjoy summer. But the break made me realize it really wasn't working for me anymore. I told the teacher that my heart wasn't in to the senior center where class is held. It's very true. She wanted us to fund raise for the center. That's not why I took dance class! But she took the news that I wouldn't be returning well. Of course, another major issue was the unending religious talk and pressure to pray, etc., but I didn't tell her that. I never discussed bc with her, but mentioned that I was having some health issues and needed to listen to my body. In her squeaky, little old lady voice she said, "Yes, God tells us in the Bible that we are to take care of our bodies because they are a temple…blah, blah, blah."

Aurrrgh! I felt like I was in friggin' Sunday school. The woman cannot seem to hold a conversation without bringing God in to it. I am so glad to be done dealing with that.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,071
    edited October 2022
    Options

One less zealot to deal with.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,880
    edited October 2022
    Options

Sounds like a great decision. It can't be the only dance class in town.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022
    Options

Due to expenses, the class moved last spring from my hometown in Ohio across the river to a town in West Virginia. It’s only about a ten minute drive, and I love WV but I did not click with that particular town so that was another issue for me. I do have a couple other options for line dance class and they do not appear to be fraught with religious under/overtones. Thank goodness.

• cardplayer
    edited November 2022
    Options

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2022
    Options

cardplayer, I love your post and couldn’t agree more!

• alicebastable
    edited November 2022
    Options

Cardplayer, that's perfect!

• kathleen1966
    kathleen1966 Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2022
    Options

I’ll never forget the card I got from a relative after I was diagnosed. “You will pass this test”. It still bothers me. My religious history is the same as alwaysmec, but I would define myself as agnostic. I get great comfort when I watch “time lapse of the future”, which discusses the universe and its end into nothing forever. The concept of heaven/religion “god” is too small and linear in the universe. It just makes no sense. It does make sense that there are questions that we don’t have the answers to. Go watch time lapse of the future on YouTube! The soundscape is also great.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2022
    Options

kathleen, yeah, what kind of a “loving god” tests a person with cancer? Is this the “I will prove that I love you” god? Or the “prove that you love me” god? Either scenario is the type mindset that I think sets women up to accept abusive relationships in their life. Religion is full of obedience and punishment and still professes god is love. Ugh.

I will check out the youtube video you suggested.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited November 2022
    Options

I love that card too! I also think too many have a linear picture. I personally don't think there's a beginning and/or end to our universes. I consider myself to be a non-theist. If others need the comfort of a religion that is OK with me. Just don't try to make me a believer or thrust that way of life on me.

• alicebastable
    edited November 2022
    Options

Socallisa, Hey, it's great to see you here again, it's been too long since I've seen posts from you! I also prefer to describe myself as a nontheist. To me, it more accurately reflects what I feel is the human default of "born with no gods to accept or reject." But if someone tries to cram their god down my throat, I can switch to full-steam atheist in a nanosecond!

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited November 2022
    Options

My husband's best friend's wife told me "God gave you cancer, he is responsible for every hair on your head". She thought she was being loving and supportive, but, I was insulted- but, asked a bunch of people what they thought- 100% said - Kick her to the curb, what an awful thing to say.

I was raised by atheists, and worried that my children needed religious education so they wouldn't be ignorant and could accept or reject god etc If they wanted to (I was so ignorant of religion). I couldn't provide it and DH made a paltry attempt which they rejected soon after.

They are all extremely loving, moral people.

Have a lovely day everyone!

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,064
    edited November 2022
    Options

nkb: so God must be responsible for me ending up with a head like a hard boiled egg, no eyebrows, eyelashes . no short and curlies. What a stupid thing to say to you. Why would a loving God give someone cancer. A test? F**k that noise.

• dnazyme
    dnazyme Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2022
    Options

Glad to see this thread on the active topics. Agnostic scientist breast-cancer-haver, checking in.

My two worst chemo infusions were when a nurse wanted to talk about God. One obviously evangelical, and one a Jehovah’s Witness. I didn’t want to be insulting—they’re the one who’s going to be pulling the port needle out later—but it was unpleasant. I’m sure they thought they were being a comfort.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2022
    Options

dnazyme, how unfortunate to have to put up with that during chemo. I get that you want to watch what you say or how you react when the nurses are the ones wielding needles. Their topic of conversation is uncalled for and I think unprofessional of the nurses.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited November 2022
    Options

• wren44
    edited November 2022
    Options

So true

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2022
    Options

spookiesmom, agree 100%

• cardplayer
    edited November 2022
    Options

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2022
    Options

idk if anyone is a metal fan. Five finger death punch has a song called " thx for asking" . One line says "idt god is listening, she told us to follow but left us behind". I know god is laughing, she gave us our wings but never taught us to fly".

Cardplayer: could not agree more

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,349
    edited November 2022
    Options

Cardplayer - Whether atheist, agnostic, or believer, your post is spot on.

• wren44
    edited November 2022
    Options

I attended an Episcopal memorial yesterday that included communion. Although I attended this church in college, it seemed to be completely foreign. I currently say I'm Buddhist (which I am sort of nominally). There is no central Deity in Buddhism. Buddha was a teacher. My spiritual being is in the woods and rocks and I want my ashes scattered in the forest somewhere.

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thank you all. I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

• alicebastable
    edited December 2022
    Options

If I had the money, I'd buy a bunch of outdoor Christmas gnomes and swap them for people's nativity scenes. Awesome neighborhood improvement!

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,071
    edited December 2022
    Options

Cats In Nativity Scenes - Cats Invade Christmas Hilariously

Cats invoking their god-like status.

He is risen! They're all risen!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!