Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Comments

• chelev
    chelev Member Posts: 417
    edited August 2014

Remember that when the implants are put in, they are often times putting them without the benefit of having any fat in the breast tissue or even a lot of breast tissue at all.  Usually a plastic surgeon will go a bit bigger on the implant to compensate for the loss of fat and tissue.  Once the healing and swelling is done, you should then see how you like living with the "new" ones - you may find you like being a bit smaller (and perkier?) or that if you want to go larger, the skin and tissue has had time to stretch to accommodate the implant and you can either upsize or fat graft (benefits there are the lipo to get the fat out - viola, smooth tummy!).  I work for a medical device company that makes the Keller Funnel, it is a clear plastic cone that the surgeons place implants into the surgical pocket with a no-touch technique (they never touch the implant, the funnel passes it into the breast), and I talk with a lot of plastic surgeons at conferences, and they say that oftentimes with reconstruction, it can be a series of adjustments to get the desired size, but that they recommend the patient live with the new breasts for a bit to see how they like them and go from there.  Kind of like driving a big SUV and going to a sportscar.  You are sure if you will like it, it is smaller and you are used to big, but wow, are you perky!  I know after my lumpectomy, and all of the swelling healed, that I wished I had the same thing done on the other side, because my surgeon did such a great job, it was about the equivalent of a lift, and the bc side is now a nice, round perky (I am 51, so the drooping has begun) and the non-bc breast is starting to droop a lot faster.  Ahhh, boobs.  They are such a pain, aren't they?

• dragomirova
    dragomirova Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2014

Thanks Chelev,

Really useful info!  I am hoping with the fat grafting, I can get them a bit bigger- I think I'm a bit too obsessed with that, but after all we've gone through, I figure we may as well have the best results possible.  I will talk to my BS at next weeks' follow up, but I always wondered how well the fat grafting "takes"- does it stay put?  Ever get re-absorbed?  Anyone have info on that?

Chelev,  Cool that you work for a device company- I work for a pharma, so I know about chemo, but not what you know about implants

Best to all you brave ladies!

• JanetP1507
    JanetP1507 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2014

Question! I'm going to be in the hospital just one night (getting BMX, reconstruction-hopefully direct to implants--and oophorectomy). The lady from the hospital I just had a pre-surgical phone call with said to pack an overnight bag.What will I need for just one night? do I need PJs or will I be in a hospital gown all night?

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited September 2014

Hi Janet! Sorry you're going through all this. I wish you all the very best for your surgeries!

I think what's meant by the overnight bag is your toiletries, clean underwear, a front buttoning shirt so you won't have to reach up over your head, to dress to go home. I was in a Hospital gown and didn't bother to change into my pj's.

The one thing I always mention as super important to take with you, is throat lozenges. I woke up and although I was starving, my throat was so dry and scratchy from the breathing tube that I couldn't get anything down. The Nurses were running around trying to find something for me. Also, take a pillow for the drive home to protect your chest from the seat belt.

There are threads here that cover all the things that women have taken with them to Hospital and I am sure others will come here to suggest other things for you.

Let us know how you get on!

• dragomirova
    dragomirova Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2014

I  just had my second surgery- post-op 5 weeks, bilateral mastectomy.  Don't bother with PJ's- you'll not be not changing into anything until your discharge.  I took a very small bag with my I-phone (as long as your hospital can lock it up during surg) and very few toiletries (they give you a pack in hospital- toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, ect).  I wore a large men's button down cotton shirt, shorts, and comfy sandals to the clinic, and that is what I just changed into going home.  this was my second surg, and I found the less I had to pack, the better (don't forget the cell phone changer!!!).  I found don't bother with extra's- you won't be caring about them while in hospital, they are just extra stuff to lug around. 

PS- I took gum and vitamin c throat lozenges with me, but since they check on you every couple hours while in hospital, I had no shortage of water otherwise, just kept chugging it down and asking for more!  Also, every time a nurse showed up, I asked to go for a walk around the unit -don't know about others, but I wanted to get the heck out of bed for a change!  If I can do it, so can you!!!  You go girl

• JanetP1507
    JanetP1507 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2014

Thank you ladies!

• Bippy625
    Bippy625 Member Posts: 602
    edited September 2014

i'm so grateful for this thread. I will be having a BMX in early December. Today my DH is taking me to Goodwill where we will purchase large soft button up shirts, since I normally don't wear them and have none,  

If they have any decent looking silky PJs I may get another set, along with a long warm robe.  I don't want to spend a lot of money and have a feeling I'll wish to donate anything related to surgical recovery right after anyway.  Slippers i will buy new. 

I'm starting my bag packing now......  I printed the list and will start marking it off as it goes into bag, thank you my sisters!

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited October 2014

My nurse navigator strongly recommended taking my own bed pillow, stating that the pillows in her hospital were truly dreadful. Since I'm picky about pillows (can't sleep if they're too hard or too bouncy) that was very helpful. I wouldn't have thought of that and was thinking in terms of the less the better. 

She was also kind enough to take me on a quick tour of the admitting area, the family waiting area, and the pre-op area.

• hopeful82014
    edited October 2014

Help!! 

Someone in one of these discussions (and I think it was in this thread) posted a bright red hand held up in a STOP gesture, reminding staff and visitors to wash their hands. 

I've been trying to find it again and would ideally be able to print one out and take it to the hospital with me. Does anyone else remember that or have any info on where it was posted??

Thanks for any help at all!

• hopeful82014
    edited October 2014

Never mind - I found some great images on line, including one for Global Handwashing Day, which just happens to be one of the days I'll be in the hospital!

• AlexaP
    AlexaP Member Posts: 90
    edited October 2014

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread!  Wow now I feel so much more prepared!!!

I'm getting prophylactic mast done as I'm brca+ but mammo is questionable so I really won't relax until I have my pathology back...  We are doing a sentinel node bx too and also getting ovaries out...  Too much going on!

I wanted to add that I have heard great things about the Elizabeth bra it has cut outs in the sides for the drains and rings to hang drains off but it is expensive...  Anyone here try it and if so is it worth the $?

Site is BFFL.com. Thanks again

• knmtwins
    knmtwins Member Posts: 438
    edited October 2014

Bippy - I'm scheduled for Dec 2nd BMx w/ TE's.  We need to start a December 2014 Surgery sisters.

• edukes1002
    edukes1002 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2014

Who starts the December thread? I am scheduled for December 5 for a BMX with SNB and DIEP Flap recon.  Not sure how I am going to get through the next month of waiting! 

• twolumps
    twolumps Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2014

Hi, y'all.  I'm having my surgery on Dec. 2nd, as well.  I love the lists.  I'm a compulsive planner, too, but my brain is mush already from this whirlwind.  I walked into a screening mammogram on Halloween and I will be having surgery about 30 days later.  I know how lucky I am, but still my brain is pretty scattered.  Looking forward to the December 2014 board.  :)

• hopeful82014
    edited November 2014

Alexa - I don't know if you've had your surgery yet and thus, whether you still need the post-surgical bra? If you do, ask your BS about an RX for the bra. Many time insurance will cover if requested by your doctor's office. It's certainly worth asking about. In my case it saved quite a bit, and the breast care center did all of the paperwork, too.

• AlexaP
    edited November 2014

Thanks, my surgery was set for October but had to reschedule because I got really sick. Now set for November 20th. I went ahead and bought the bra, anything that makes life easier is ok with me. Hadn't thought about the Rx but it's too late now but thanks anyway! Wish me luck! Only I would come down with walking pneumonia 2 days pre-op... :p

• hopeful82014
    edited November 2014

So sorry to hear about both the pneumonia and the resulting delay in your surgery, Alexa. I hope you're feeling much stronger by now.

You may want to go to the October surgery thread for additional tips and tricks. There's a wealth of great advice and experience there.

I'll be pulling for you over the next week and sending lots of healing energy on the 20th and beyond. Take care!

• AlexaP
    edited November 2014

Thanks so much! I'm feeling much better although still stuffy. Going to see ps tomorrow since it's been awhile and my pulmonologist says I'm fine for surgery. I'm sooo afraid to get sick again that I've practically become a hermit germaphobe lol. I'll be sure to look at the October list as you suggested but I think I have my bases covered. Even found a pink heart shaped pillow for under my arm at Walmart for like $3 and a travel pillow for those long nights in the recliner... And a nice soft jersey cotton robe that zips up for the walks in the hospital... Hubby even bought me a whole toothbrush kit in a bag. So sweet! I hope he remembers the requisite chocolate too lol. Hanging in there. Can't wait to get this over with and praying, praying for negative pathology.

• knmtwins
    knmtwins Member Posts: 438
    edited November 2014

EDUKES December Surgery Thread https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topic/...

If you know, please reply with date of surgery, type, if BMx, if one is prophylactic, which one, if recon type of recon

• mommacat4
    mommacat4 Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2014

I just would like to add that if you are having a loved one stay at the hospital with you during and after your surgery it might be a good idea to pack a change of clothes and snacks and music or reading material or cards or something for your partner as well. They have a tough job too. My surgery was a 5 hour surgery, my husband works nights so my recovery time would have been technically during his midnight sleep hours. Then he had to assist me that day into the next and then drive me home. It took a toll on him too.

He still only gets about 2 to 3 hours of sleep before work each night. I keep telling him he needs to sleep but bless his heart he is trying to take care of me.

• lmdi
    lmdi Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014

If you have enough time before surgery, I would also recommend talking with your doctor about getting both a flu vaccine AND a pneumonia vaccine. (I had one but not the other and wished that I had had both.) That way, you have a few less things to worry about as you recover.

• Jmo06
    Jmo06 Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2014

Thank you all ladies moms getting ready for surgery in January.

• AlexaP
    edited December 2014

Hey all! I had my surgery 11/20 and it was so much easier thanks to all the great tips I got here! So prepared I had things the nurse needed and I would say "oh I have that in my bag" lol! Thanks everyone! :)

• hopeful82014
    edited December 2014
    Glad you were so well prepared, Alexa, and hope you are doing well.
  • kris1114
    kris1114 Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2014

Old pharmacy trick. I was a technician for many years. The lids on the medication vials are made in 2 parts. The top part is the security feature and what makes the bottle child proof. But the 2nd piece to the lid is just a plastic screw on cap or a flat plastic lid that snaps onto the vial.

Find a lip in a counter. Turn bottle upside down and find where the two pieces meet and pull foward to release the two pieces. Bottle openers do not work. For me it was the features and design of my dishwasher that enabled me to do this.

• Susie_Maryland
    Susie_Maryland Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2014

I am a cheapskate, so I didn't want to spend one more dime on this @#$% mastectomy surgery than necessary! No pricey drain belts or camisoles. To hold my drains, I bought a little cotton carpenter's apron from Home Depot for 77 cents!! It's just a little pouch with two pockets, that ties around the waist, which builders use for holding nails. I washed it first in cold water to get some of the starchiness out. I actually got two, so if one got too grungy I could throw it out. I also wore my husband's old cotton tee-shirts, after cutting a slit halfway down the chest so I could step into it, and just safety pinned it closed. Then I topped it off with one of his old button down dress shirts. Gonna buy some new earrings or perfume with the money I saved on mastectomy gear.

• AlexaP
    edited December 2014

Hopeful thanks so much. Feeling good now, no pain meds no motrin even... Have had 2 fills and maybe only one more to go. Would you believe though that I got sick Again? Yesterday. Because I went out and did some shopping. Since it's winter I'm just going to wear gloves ALL THE TIME. Grrrrrr. But post-op is finally good :)))

• hopeful82014
    edited December 2014
    Dear Alexa - Glad to hear that you're feeling good again and hope that by now you've kicked the flu to the curb, too. I hear you on gloves and avoiding viruses, etc., particularly sine it sounds as though this year's flu vaccine was a dud. :(

Best wishes for your continued recovery from the flu (and everything else) and for a bright and happy 2015, Alexa.
  • Gingercake
    Gingercake Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2014

I had my BMX on Dec. 18 and I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for all these tips! Between them and member feedback, I was able to figure out what I did/didn't need.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited December 2014

Hi Gingercake, so sorry you have to be here, but very glad you found us and the information was useful!

I hope all is going well and that you have speedy and uneventful recovery, take it easy!