Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• mommacat4
    mommacat4 Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2014
    Options

gingercake,

I hope all went well during surgery. You are welcomed here by us all (sisters).

Take care of yourself. Stay hydrated! !!

• knmtwins
    knmtwins Member Posts: 438
    edited January 2015
    Options

No clue if I ever posted this, the drug induced fog of post surgery will do that to you... Favorite things:

Someone to spend the night with me - I couldn't move my body and arms enough to push the call button for the nurse, so I would ask my husband to.

SMALL Notebook and Pen, to write questions in, keep track of vitals, whatever. It might be too hard to write, so person you bring with you might do that for you.

Ear Plugs - kept all those hospital noises away

Sleep Mask - hospital rooms have tons of lights that flash - these were GREAT

travel pillow - the u shaped ones. You will be sleeping 'up' this helps so much.

Sleep cap - if you have been through chemo and your head gets cold. BTW in the hospital was the first time I used it w/ my sleep mask, I'm now in love, as the masks' elastic keeps my hat on my head when I turn in my sleep.

Lip Balm - so needed

Book or DVD or something to entertain you. I was drugged enough that I kept falling asleep while reading, but it kept my mind off the pain when I was awake.

Something to put your drains in, if you won't be going home in a post surgical garmet that allows for this. My plastic surgeon just wanted me in a cami. I sewed in a pouch to the cami's I bought, and put the 6 drains in it. I brought 2 of these camis to the hospital (1 extra, just in case). PM me if you would like me to send a photo and description.

Slippers - I brought crocks. They are so wide, they were easy to slide into when getting up to go potty. I did not want feet that had touched the hospital floor back in my bed (GERMS) so I thought, how ugly, but it should work, and they did, even when I had the post surgical support socks on. I wore them to the hospital, used them as slippers and wore them home. Left them in the garage until I was healthy enough to wipe them down with a Clorox wipe.

Big stretchy clothes and shoes, if your feet are prone to swelling. You will be on an IV for over 24 hours probably. I gained over 10 lbs in the hospital and was thrilled I had crocks, sweats a cami and a zippered sweatjacket. My tummy was huge as were my legs and ankles.

If you or the person you bring is bringing a phone, pack chargers for both and an extension chord, in case the plug isn't convenient. I didn't pack my charger, as I don't use my phone... husband used his all day, then switched to mine when his battery died... guess what, both had dead batteries by the next morning.

Food for other person - I've seen this before and it made me mad, but... my husband was starved, 7.5 hr surgery, then 4 hours in post op (I had vomiting issues) the cafeteria was closed by the time we got to the room.

Pillow for car's seatbelt (leave it in the car)

LIST OF WHAT YOU BROUGHT - you won't be packing your stuff and you will be drugged.... I left things in the sheets, like my sleep mask. I was so upset when I got home, I made my husband run to Bed Bath and Beyond to get me another one.

Water... I brought water bottles w/ sports tops, but they were too heavy to lift, and were 24oz bottles. I couldn't even lift the 16oz styrafoam cup, they had to put a straw in the coffee cup size (thank goodness they had a top to it)

BTW I was in horrible pain and at 5am, thought there is NO WAY I will go home today. By 11 am I was walking the halls over and over, was released at 1 and home by 3.

• Robin73014
    Robin73014 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hello @KMTwins!

How long was your hospital stay and did you have reconstruction?

Thanks!

• knmtwins
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had a skin sparing double mastectomy, 2 nodes on the cancer side, a reduction, and Tissue Expanders as step 1 of reconstruction. I was on the table for about 7.5 hours and then 4 hours in recovery as they couldn't get me to stop throwing up. Went to the hospital room around 9pm, left the next day around 2pm. Chances are part of my pain issue was those 4 hours of throwing up, so other people's experiences should be better.

• bluewillowskys
    bluewillowskys Member Posts: 268
    edited January 2015
    Options

im so glad you ladies have made these lists of tips...im going to prepare for a NSM on right side and a lift/implant on left later this Spring/Summer....so glad you keep this updated...

wondering if that Marupial pouch for drains will fit around my waist??? any ideas what the measurements of it are??

• knmtwins
    edited January 2015
    Options

My friend said it was uncomfortable so I made pouches in my camis from Walmart. I cut off the bottom portion of a pair of Hanes panties and attached it to the front of the cami and cut a hole in the cami under the 'pouch'. They were perfect, as it had the elastic at the top, to hold everything in, and was big enough for a bottom to go in, so space for all the drains. This was before my surgery, so I stuffed it with all sorts of things to see if it would be big enough for up to 6 drains. It was. Sometimes I wore it this way, sometimes with the pouch on the inside. Towards the end when the tubes on the drains were making me crazy, I cut open the seem on the underarm and brought them outside and into the pouch. OH, BTW - a secret to the tubes, tape them down with a small strip of tape a few inches from the sutures.

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited January 2015
    Options

knmtwins...this is fantastic! You should go into business selling these! I'm only expecting one drain, and still trying to figure out how to handle them.

• mommacat4
    edited January 2015
    Options

knmtwins, this is a novel idea, it is truly wonderful. I could have saved money. Lol. Thanks for sharing this idea.

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited January 2015
    Options

I bought 3 scrubs tops that snap in the front. They have 2 pockets. Hopefully that will work to hold the drain(s). I am going to try to call the surgeon today to see what else I need. ALND is scheduled for February 12 and I don't see the surgeon till February 10. Not enough time to run around shopping. I will be staying at my sisters for the first few days so I need to make a list of what to bring. She is a retired nurseand lives much closer to the hospital. Hopefully I can go back home in a few days once I know I can handle my drains, meds, etc. Love, Jean

• knmtwins
    edited January 2015
    Options

I doubt I had the strength to snap things those first few days, but I had a BMx with recon and your sister will be there to help.

• mommacat4
    edited January 2015
    Options

zjrosenthal, I also had little strength the first few days. I had 2 camisoles from the cancer boutique store that had pockets in the for the drains. They are velcro down the front and that was much easier than trying to snap or button anything. I did need help to shower the 1st time. My second show took me a while but I managed. The most difficult with showering was not being able to raise my arms above shoulder height. I had a bmx With reconstruction. That limits raising arms. And I also have this mesh over the shoulder thing that holds the drains while you shower so they aren't in the way. That is a wonderful devise. It is called flowerpotz. Their website is www.flowerpotz.com. it's a great tool to have. its worth checking out. And if you are going through reconstruction you will have more drains later on. I hated my drains. I still have not had my implants because of chemo and radiation. My reconstruction will resume after all that.

Good luck and hang in there.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited January 2015
    Options

I cut the leg off an old pair of pantyhose and used that to tie the drains around my neck in the shower. It worked great.

• Shelly74
    Shelly74 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2015
    Options

Great thread ladies... I am scheduled for my BMX on Friday, February 6th. Looking forward to having the first surgery done and getting more info about my stage, treatment plan, etc. Bless you all!

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited February 2015
    Options

good luck Shelly. Prayers and hugs.

• roadrash
    roadrash Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2015
    Options

Good Luck Shelly. I hope you make a speedy recovery.Put frozen veggies in refrig now it really helped me with the pain and cramping.

Knmtwins- That idea on the drains is fantastic. I had 6 drains last time and I had to keep them in for almost 4 weeks I had to go back to work after 6 days. I safety pinned them to my compression bra, but it was so noticeable under my clothes. I am getting ready for my exchange and will bring something like yours for the drains this time. Great idea

• mommacat4
    edited February 2015
    Options

Shelly74,

I see you are new here. Good luck with your Bmx. I hope all the tips here can help you with a easier time of things. I wish you all the best with recovery. I hope you get all positive feedback from your surgery.

• Therockandrollmom
    Therockandrollmom Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hey ladies, here's another tip I just got yesterday from my plastic surgeon...wear maxi pads or pantiliners inside compression bra after surgery to protect incisions from abrasions and skin tears. Seemed odd to me at first, but makes sense. Unfortunately, I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago so have to ask my 19 year old daughter for some! I have my lumpectomy this Thursday followed a week later with bilateral reconstruction. Good tips about pouches for the drains and silky pajamas. I have never thought of wearing silky jammies but might go shopping for some today! Good luck to all!!
  • JLF
    JLF Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2015
    Options

I boughtthese chest tube drain holders and they have been great! I just tuck them into a zippered top with pockets and I'm good to go!image

• knmtwins
    edited February 2015
    Options

How many would it hold? I had 6 drains at first.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,187
    edited March 2015
    Options

We'd love to put a 'complete' list in our next newsletter.

Anyone feel like compiling a list of everyone's suggestions, and we'll add it to the first post?

• Fe_Princess
    Fe_Princess Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Janet2014, What size are you now and what sizer were you before? I am also going smaller. I did choose it, but I did wonder how I might feel afterwards.

• Fe_Princess
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Dragomirova, I decided on the immediate implants as well. How did your surgery go? How long were in hospital? I am having surgery tomorrow and I am really scared.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi FePrincess, this thread hasn't been live for a while, so not sure if those people will see your posts.

If you take a look at the date on the posts, when you are replying, or asking a question you'll see if it is a current thread.

You can start your own thread if you want to to ask for experiences with immediate implants or go tot he recon threads and search for others there.

All the best for your surgery tomorrow, let us know how it all goes. You will, do fine!!!!!

Edited to remind you. Take throat lozenges with you, your throat can be very dry when you wake up, also a small pillow for your chest on the way home so the seat belt doesn't hurt you and a button front, or zip top so you don't have to lift your arms to get anything over your head. Take it easy!

• knmtwins
    edited March 2015
    Options

My Jan 1 post is pretty complete, but I don't think it has the lozenges on it. My Jan 1 list is pretty extensive. Most important someone to spend the night with you. Good luck! I didn't do immediate implants, I had tissue expanders put in, so don't know. The pain was awful but got better with the hours. As in thought no way would I go home the next day, when it was 5am, left OK at 2pm that day. So although horrible, it is quick, then you are just in pain. I was on pain meds for 3 weeks. Didn't drive for 4, because I was on muscle relaxers, and didn't feel it was safe with 3 little kids. Many people recover faster. 4 monts later I can remember, but don't shudder at the thought so couldn't have been that bad. Good luck and hope to hear all about the imediate implant. BTW - I did do a reduction with mine, but I did a double mastectomy, so I'm guessing you are doing a mastectomy on one side and a reduction on the other. Take a xanex and get some sleep. When you see the anesthesiologist tell him you are scared and ask for something ASAP. Have your sleeping buddy keep a notebook of your meds and ask for them when you need them. Many are PNR, so you have to ask what you have and when they can be given. My husband set his phone alarm, but didn't ask what was available, so there was a whole nother pill they could have been giving me, and if I'd had that, life probably would have been better.

• Fe_Princess
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Ariom, let definitely report back and thanks for the tips!

• Fe_Princess
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello KNMtwins, I don't know what PNR means. I have had two surgeries this month so far. A hysterectomy and the SNB so this is my 3rd time going under. It's bee quite a month. I now know to ask for tranquilizers right away. I am doing a single with reduction. I am a long distance runner so I am really quite pleased to have smaller breasts. I feel pretty good all aside, but I developed a seroma under my arm where the biopsy was so it's been quite irritating the last couple of days to sleep, etc...wow I can't believe you left the next day! I have an amazing group of friends in my life who have made a schedule so I am never alone the first week. I am so glad there is this discussion board. I am ready to do this and moveon.org!

• knmtwins
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think it is pnr oops prn, or as needed and in hospital speak it means you only get it if you ask for it specifically. As I have now found out twice (you'd think I'd learn) you can't ask for something if you don't know the doctor wrote it down. So from now on, I will ask (or I hope I remember to) what meds are allowed and written for me? What are they for? How regularly can they be given? I had a pain killer like vicoden, a muscle relaxer and valium. When you added the valium, it was magic. Maybe it helped with the pain, maybe it just knocked you out, but who cares, no pain. BUT no one told me about the valium unit it was 2 hours before leaving and the nurse said, I'd prefer to give this to you right before your drive home... so ... I waited... but it did work.

Dear me, Fe, you have been through bunches this month. Why the hysterectomy...

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited March 2015
    Options

Fe_Princess, I was probably a DD cup before, and now I would say that I'm a full C cup. Of course the DDs sagged too, and the Cs don't. I really like being smaller. It was pretty easy to get used to.

• Fe_Princess
    edited March 2015
    Options

knmtwins, I was scheduled for it before I got diagnosed because I have always suffered from fibroids and they were out of hand. When I got my pathology, they had to take my ovaries too. They did it before since I need the ovaries out anyway. It was laparoscopic and I was literally healed within a week. You think I should ask for valium? Why did they give you a muscle relaxer or is that par for the course on mx? Lordy I'm nervous but I am tough cookie.

• Fe_Princess
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the reply Janet 2014. How long were you in the hospital?