Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Comments

• Cceandme
    Cceandme Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2014

One of the drains removed didn't hurt at all. The other just felt like they were pulling my skin. Hurt but only for like 5 seconds once it was out it was such a relief

• IzzyB
    IzzyB Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2014

Like Cceandme said, the drain removal was quick and only hurt for a few seconds afterwards. Honestly far less pain than having them inside! My pain dramatically lessened with the tube removal and first TE filll.  I did have to keep a gauze pad & Rx antibiotic ointment on for a few days later -- the larger tube continued to drain a bit for a couple days post removal but at least not painful. Just count to three, take a big breath and they will be out before you even realize. 

• dragomirova
    dragomirova Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2014

Thank you for the tip about hair washing!  I am scheduled for a double with reconstruction this August, and am gathering any and all info about preparing for recovery ahead of time.  I am all alone, no family support (thank God for my friends, but I don't like to pester them), so I to get ready any way I can

Best to All

• dragomirova
    edited June 2014

Dear All,

Thank you all so much for your tips!  Last year, I had a lumpectomy + rads on the right, now I have cancer in the left.  So I am getting a double mastectomy with reconstruction.  How long before any of you went back to work?  What about resuming other normal activity (yardwork, lawn mowing, sports, driving, etc....)

Best to All

• twoam
    twoam Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2014

Prior to sx, this was my biggest concern. My husband is currently not able to work (hip replacement sx) and I LOVE my job. My BS encouraged me to take at least 6 weeks (and maybe longer) because my job requires that I lift 60 lbs. I am so glad he did. Even though I am getting stronger every single day, I tire much more easily and am very grateful knowing that I have the time to properly heal. I am 7 days out and feel fine walking as much as possible. Chores that use my arms make me the most tired. Pain meds and antibiotics make me feel nauseated, so its nice to be able to take a break when that hits. If you are able to take the time, do it for yourself. I dont regret it now.

• Ally2345
    Ally2345 Member Posts: 96
    edited June 2014

dragomirova- Things that helped me were: bathing cloths from Walgreens (just wet and wipe down and you feel more clean and fresh), lip balm, a trial size bottle of mouthwash to take to hospital (I used that rinse rather than taking a toothbrush), note pads and pens by bed (to mark off/record meds) and in bathroom (to record drain output), dry shampoo to spray on hair, mini-pads to line bra, wedge pillow and a couple of small pillows under each arm, ginger ale and tea (together- really helps with any nausea first day or two after surgery.  Just pour ginger ale in a mug, put in a teabag and heat up.  It tasted so good after surgery and I never would have thought of it but another bc sister told me about it).

Ally

• jeninfla
    jeninfla Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2014

I am having my surgery on the 28th. The doctor said I would be in the hospital for 23 hrs. How much stuff do I really need at the hospital? 

I have a 4 yr old son and I am a stay at home Mom. He goes to school till 12:30 everyday. My biggest concern is, how intense is the pain? I am not concerned for me, rather for him. I want him to be as unscathed as possible by all of this. I am having reconstruction at the same time as the dbl mastectomy. The doctor said that each week, they would increase the expander in each breast. What is the one thing people told you would need and didn't and whats the one thing you WISH you had gotten to have at home before the surgery that you didn't have?

• Ally2345
    edited July 2014

jeninfla-  There is a great list at the top of this thread and on the Aug Surgery Sisters thread.  I wore to the hospital what I wore home so an oversized button shirt (men's) and yoga pants with slip on shoes.  I don't recommend taking anything of value unless you will have someone there to give to.  Otherwise, at my hospital, they make you check it in with security.  I liked having lip balm and a small trial size of mouthwash rather than dealing with a toothbrush.  You will likely have drains so it is nice to have something to put them in or pin them to your shirt.  I slept or watched a little tv and that was all I felt like doing.  If people could make some meals for you, that really helps.  I recovered pretty quickly but it was nice not to have to worry about feeding your family and my kids loved all the different meals they got to have.  I slept a lot the first day home then was in a chair with an ottoman in the living room the next day.  I did not need pain meds by the third day and only took tylenol as needed.  You really aren't in pain, just uncomfortable and the drain entry points can be sore.  Good luck and I am sure others will chime in with helpful hints!!

Allly

• jeninfla
    edited July 2014

Thank you so much Ally2345, I did see the list. I just want opinions on what is totally a waste as well as the "Awe man, I wish I would have gotten....." :) Good to hear you recovered fairly well. I did well with my C Section as well as both my needle biopsy and my lumpectomy as well. thankfs for the advice. Do you think a lanyard is better or maybe a fannie pack for the drain bags?

• Ally2345
    edited July 2014

jeninfla-  A nurse at the hospital made this little pouch out of material that they use on burn patients.  I wore it around my neck and it hung down past by breasts.  It was almost like a really large sock but with two tails that could be tied around my neck.  It was made of this netting and really lightweight.  Probably not doing a good job describing it but it was great to just put the drains in and no one could see them with an oversized shirt on.  Using pins did not work as well for me but they work really well for others.  Just remember to pin to your shirt and not your pants because you pull our pants down and don't want to pull the drains!! The fanny pack may do the same thing as my pouch but it has to be deep enough to hold the drains so they won't fall out because you probably can not zip the bag.  I took my iPad and a book to my biopsy and never used them so I did not take them for the BMX.  At the hospital, I was so tired from the anesthesia, I tried to sleep.  However, the constant checking of vitals, etc. doesn't lend itself to a good night's rest.  I gave my phone to my DH and then got it back after surgery.  I was actually glad to have that later to send a few texts and see the time.  At home, my notepad for recording info was helpful, especially for meds.  There was one medicine I had to take twice a day for a week (to fight infection) so I had made a chart with each day and had two boxes for my mandatory antibiotic so I could check those two doses off.    For the first day or two, take the meds as soon as you can.  Don't wait til you feel bad or "get behind" on the meds because is really is hard/hurts to catch up.  You probably remember all that from your C section but, if a reminder helps, great.  Also, tank shirts with no bra shelf were great to just step in and pull up then put a large button down over the tank.  That was my outfit for about 2 weeks.  I purchased 4 or 5 from Walmart and they worked great.  Just as an fyi, I came out of the surgery with 150cc in each expander so I had a little something and was not completely flat.  With a loose shirt, most people could not tell I had anything done when I went back to work the following week (desk job).

You will do great!!

Ally

• jeninfla
    edited July 2014

WOW! Were you driving that soon to be able to go back to work? My plastic surgeon said she would put some fluid in so maybe I wont be totally flat either. I am optimistic and seeing others comments makes me feel like if all these women can get through it, so can I! I am 46 but with a 4 yr old, I don't feel 46.....most days anyway. Haha. how old were you when you had your surgery if you dont mind me asking? I heard lanyard works well for the bags too. Not sure about that. Thanks for the tip about pinning to my pants. That would NOT be good. :) I live in Florida too Ally, what area are you in? I am in the Tampa Bay Area

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246
    edited July 2014

jeninfla - I am also in Tampa, and have had a number of surgeries here.  I am glad I had button front pajamas, used a clean shoelace to string my drains on like beads on a necklace, which I used for showering.  Glad Press N' Seal is good for showering if you are not allowed to get wet, as is a handheld shower head.  I pinned my drains  to the inside of my shirts - no problems, didn't use any belts, etc.  I think it is a good idea to have a basket that has a box of tissues, meds, pen and paper, your phone, remotes, glasses, etc.  That way it is all in one place and stuff is not scattered everywhere.  Write down when you take the pain meds!  You will forget - because you are on pain meds, lol!  My DH also got these genius things - lamp dimmers - they are inexpensive at Home Depot - you plug the lamp in, then plug the dimmer cord into the socket.  It is a slide switch that allows you to turn off the lamp without reaching over.  Here is a link:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Credenza-300-Watt-Plug-In-Lamp-Dimmer-White-TT-300H-WH/100001525

I used a lot (seriously, a lot) of pillows and did not use a recliner.  I used a small step stool and climbed onto the bed, then crawled toward the pillows and turned around and sat.  I did best elevated to a half way to sittingposition, but some people get a foam wedge from Bed, Bath & Beyond.  You could also use those things that are a pillow with arm rests, you know what I mean?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/plush-backrest-in-black/1016476501?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bedding_&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6J2eBRCpqaW0857k9p4BEiQAWarYbAUA8VD2J2Kx_mZzIMoZGYDazcgOOfKMXWmKqt4906oaAuva8P8HAQ

• Ally2345
    edited July 2014

jeninfla-  I am in Gainesville.  I was 49 when I had my surgery...just hit the big 5-0 a couple of weeks ago.  Surgery was Monday, off pain meds by Wed morning and was able to drive by Saturday.  I did not go on any interstates and I parked where I could pull out so I did not have to back up.  My kids are older (15 and 13) so that makes a big difference.  Short walks help get my blood flowing and putting my feet up helped.  Also, doing some of the arm exercises that your doc clears you for and then going to see a PT as soon as recommended.  The PT really helped massage areas and helped with my ROM.  You will do great!  Definitely have that pen and paper (I had one set by my bed and the other in the bathroom where I measured the drains).  

Ally

• jeninfla
    edited July 2014

Thanks Special K! I got one of those pillows at Target and my living room lamp has a dimmer switch on it. I might just spend a few nights in our big comfy recliner anyway so that will work. 

I appreciate all the information you girls are giving me. I have my pre-op appt tomorrow and it seems that the closer to surgery, the more I start to really think about it. I will only be in the hospital for 23 hrs. Which seems NUTS to me. I was in there for 5 days when I had a C Section, but they cut both breasts off and kick you out the next day! Strange! :) Special K, who was your plastic surgeon? My Breast surgeon is Dr. Jason Hechtman and my plastics is Dr. Dana Coberly. 

Much love to all of you ladies. I know I will get through this and I am grateful for your support and knowledge! Prayers going up for all of us.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246
    edited July 2014

jenninfl - they don't keep you as long for a  BMX because it is more of an external surgery - a C-Section involves moving organs around and is far more invasive, with more bleeding and complication risk. I don't know your BS, but I do know your PS.  My team was Cox/Soler.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited July 2014

Hi Jennifl, the one thing I didn't have that I wish I had taken was throat lozenges. I had a really dry sore throat from the breathing tube and although I was ravenous when I woke up, I couldn't swallow the sandwich, which was the only food they had for me

The other thing I found invaluable was a V pillow. They are nice and big and can be used to sleep with or to sit comfortably in a chair or on the couch. Also, don't forget a small cushion to protect your chest from the seat belt in the car on the ride home.

All the best!

• crs629
    crs629 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014

Thank you for all of your useful posts/tips to prepare for surgery. I am so grateful to have found all of you for support!  I am pretty compulsive about planning too and want to start getting things together for my surgery. I will have a BMX and DIEP flap reconstruction on August 21.  I don't have a recliner chair and am worried about comfort in bed. What is a V pillow? 

Thanks all, Cristina 

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited July 2014

Hi Cristina, if you Google V pillow you will see what I am talking about It is a pillow shaped like a V about 2' high on either side so you can wrap it around your body or use it to lean against the couch, or to support your upper arms if you're sitting up in bed.

I had a Unilateral Mx and found it was something I dragged around with me from the couch to the bed to sitting outside in a lawn chair. I still have mine in the corner of the couch for if I want to sit for any length of time and read. It's more comfy than a regular cushion.

The one I have is filled with micro fiber and is allergy free and covered in a pure cotton cover.    

• SueEllenWisconsin
    SueEllenWisconsin Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014

insurance paid for two bras post double mastectomy.  Ask your breast surgeon it was the receptionist at mine who told me and even had one there for me.  I went to a "pink" store attached to another hospital and got my second one that zipped up the front and was lots more comfortable.  You are right, many bras hurt under the arm after surgery.  If you have so done to help you, I wonder if a wide wrap bandage would work?

• SueEllenWisconsin
    SueEllenWisconsin Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014

I didn't have a recliner on my first surgery either.  Pillows, pillows.  Someone at work posted a used pregnancy pillow for $3 but I didn't think about how useful this v type pillow would be.  You can stick the pointed edge part under your back when you are on your side and then lean back.  I'm going to look for one today.  It's more of a triangle wedge pillow than the V pillow

• twoam
    edited August 2014

Personally, for me, this thread was a life saver. It gave me some control over a situation in which I had no control. And I like making lists, and being prepared. A few things that worked for me:

My friends had bought me a cami with drain pockets. I got myself a fanny pack. I took both to the hospital. The fanny pack worked better for 4 drains, but the cami was super comfy wearing home.

I have to have stuff to read. I took magazines instead of a book. That turned out to be a good decision, as books where a bit uncomfy to hold up at first.

My surgery took 7 hours, so was not done in time for me to get a hospital meal. From past expericence I knew the first thing I would want to do is pee, and eat. I am also vegan, and did not want to bother the hospital staff with this. Hubbys first assignment was to bring me a bagel w/peanut butter, and lots of chopped up fruit. Dont try chopping things by yourself at first lol.

I had taken a baggy pair of shorts to come home in. They are at least 2 sizes to big. I could not get them on. Lots of fluid retention. Thankfully I had packed some baggy sweat pants in case I got cold. Go as big, baggy and comfortale as you can. You will not care what you look like at that point.

I did not get a laynard, but wish I had. I kept my drains in a fanny pack, or in my pockets. I was not allowed to shower, so would wash up with baby whipes. I cant tell you how many times I forgot about the drains, pulled my pants down, or unhooked the fanny pack...it hurts when those drains fall!

The non-childproof caps. We asked but did not recieve. Ask harder. I am 6 weeks out and still have to put the bottles between my knees and twist with all my might (and I have a lot of strength back). Your peck muscles dont need the hassle.

Dont skimp on pain meds (in other words dont be a hero. I learned this the hard way) and stool softener. And take it every day. If you dont, not only will you be miserable, but you will think your gaining 10 lbs, when actually, your just full of poop!

Most importantly, dont forget to take your sense of humor :)

Finally, I am NOT suggesting this..but...I wanted to get out of the hospital asap. I have 7 special needs dogs at home who need me. When I had to go pee, I had to call the nurse to unhook all the machines. She would always say "when your done, call me so I can help you back". I was able (dont do this if your not able) so I would just go back and sit on the bed until they realized my stuff was not hooked up. It was very annoying to them. They couldnt wait to get rid of me.

Sorry this is so long, but hope it helps :)

• dragomirova
    edited August 2014

Dear Twoam,

Thanks for the info.   I am going in on Wednesday for a double with reconstruction.  I have 3 cats myself and want to get home as soon as possible.  But hearing about your (and others) issues with opening meds bottles, etc., I wonder if I can care for them.  Will I be able to open up a can of cat food (pull top lids)?  Lift a 5 pound bag of kibbles?  Pick up my cats (all under 10 lbs)?  I think I must sound like a psycho going on about my cats...

PS- thanks for the tip about how to get out of the hospital as soon as possible!

• dragomirova
    edited August 2014

Hi Ally,

Thanks for info- I hope I do as well as you did (I am going in Wednes).  How soon before you could drive anywhere, go back to work, do yardwork?

Thanks!

• dragomirova
    edited August 2014

Hi Ally,

Sorry, just read this post after I sent my last reply.  You went back to work 1 week after a bilateral?  You are amazing!  I too have a desk job- I wonder if I could do it?  I put in for 4 weeks leave, maybe I will be back sooner.  Any more tips you have would be greatly appreciated

• twoam
    edited August 2014

dragomirova - You absoltuely do not sound psycho. My biggest concern was caring for my dogs. When I woke from sx, I could not even press the lever to flush the toilet, or turn a door knob. The next day I could. Its amazing how fast our bodies heal. I definately could NOT have opened a pull tab can, but I could have lifted 5 lbs easily (different muscles involved) BUT as so many have said on here, just because you can do it, doesnt mean you should. At 2 weeks out, PS said I could start doing light aerobic exercise. At about 4 weeks, he still would not approve of lifting any more then 2 lbs. I was going to only take 2 weeks off from work. My BS talked me into taking 6 weeks because my job is very physical, and I have to be able to lift 60 lbs repeatedly through out the day. I am so grateful he did. Even though my body feels great, it is amazing how quickly I still tire. Someone told me that it takes 1 week for your body to recover for each hour that you where under anesthesia, and I beleive it.

• dragomirova
    edited August 2014

Thank you!!  How many/ how often follow-up visits did you have after surgery?  My first (hopefully to remove drains) as 8 days after my surgery date.  Then I don't know what else will happen.  I have the best surgical team and nurse navigator, but even then, I feel like I can't get enough info...

PS- were you able to lift 60 lbs  after 6 weeks out?  You are AMAZIING!  I know "everyone is different"  but I hope to do as well as you...

• twoam
    edited August 2014

Dragomirova - I am sure everyone, and every PS is different, but I saw mine weekly at first, and since last fill, every 2 weeks, so he can check that all is going well. I can lift 60 lbs now, but I DONT. PS is still adament about not doing exercises that engage the chest muscles. I am blessed that my job offers 3 months temp medical leave. At first I was going to go back after 6 weeks, and then leave again for the exchange, but since that would mean applying all over again, and a waiting period for benefits, my work approved of PS extending the leave, and my exchange will be Sept 8th. It would have been August 18th, but I decided to get one more fill, and that moved it back, as he likes to wait 4-6 weeks from last fill. I understand about wanting to get as much info as possible. This forum, and the ladies on it, are a true blessing, and I would have been lost without both. Please make sure to keep us updated on how your surgery goes!

• Ally2345
    edited August 2014

Hey all-  No, I am not Wonder Woman. I was able to go back in a week because I only work about 2 miles from my home and it is an easy drive with pull thru parking. I am sitting at a desk and was able to use a chair that the side arm rests could be raised so I was comfortable. Sitting at home was causing me to do too much.  I would see something that should be fixed and it would just weigh on my mind til I tried or got DH to do it. I think he was more glad than me to have me out of the house. Yard work was much longer, probably three weeks and only pulling small weeds. My stamina really stunk.  I would get winded easily; the physical side is still a bit of an issue. Just feeling better and now we have round two.  Finally, our dress is pretty casual so I was able to wear an oversized button down over a tank. I still had two drains so I put them in a little bag that hung around my neck and had the drains resting on my tummy. The drain lines never pulled on the sites during the day so there was no pain. It worked well for me.  Also, if I got tired, I could leave. They were really good to me!!

As for advice, ease back into it and take naps. I still don't sleep well so naps when I can take them are great. As much as it winded me, small walks did make me feel better.  Lots of water (I think I spent most of my recovery in the bathroom...lol) and protein. 

Hugs to all and know you have got this.  Just take it a day at a time. Everyone is different so just do what is best for you.

Ally

• Straitlover
    Straitlover Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2014

If you have a way to check w/ the nurse navigator at your hosp, to it. The one at my hospital (Duke Raleigh), brought me a little bag. It had a small pillow, two bags to hold drains (two in each bag), two nono sleeves (lymphedema sleeves), a brochure about a support group and a business card for the cancer center there. Very nice gift and very nice lady!

Also, I had a catheter, so no getting up and down for the bathroom. Once that came out, I had to be able to pee on my own before they would let me leave.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited August 2014

I have told people that one of the only good things (!) about having cancer was the nice little lady (a bc survivor) who came to my hospital room the day after the BMX. She brought me a drain pouch, two heart-shaped pillows to go under my arms, and a cute little pillow to velcro onto the car seatbelt. I used them all quite a bit and greatly appreciated the lady and the very helpful items. She also assured me that I would get through it even though there would be difficult times ahead.