Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited October 2016
    Options

As far as driving goes, my BS said it was Ok once I was off the Rx pain meds AND I felt physically comfortable enough to do it. Of course you need pretty good flexible arm movement to drive. I think it was about two weeks for me.

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thank you!! I will continue to pop on here as I get closer and I'm sure with more questions! LOL

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2016
    Options

Mastectomy shirt or belt for drains after flap surgery? My surgery is in a few weeks and I've been shopping online for what I'll need during my recuperation. (Unilateral mastectomy with flap reconstruction from my abdomen.) I'm right handed and surgery is also on my right. Since I'll have drains from both the breast and the belly, which of these options will work the best?

1. mastectomy shirt with inside pockets for the drains?

2. mastectomy belt with attached drain pockets to wear under my clothes?

3. lanyard or similar to connect the drains? (I already have one drain pocket "tote" to hang around my neck - stitched by a local Girl Scout troop).

Does anyone have suggestions for the best method for carrying drains following flap surgery? Thanks!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    edited October 2016
    Options

jcn16, thanks for adding your helpful suggestions! Very appreciated! We hope you are doing well!

• jcn16
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks for your encouragement - I'm hoping for ideas on the best ways to carry drains following breast reconstruction. I'll have drains from my breast and abdomen and not sure of the best type to use. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

• janett2014
    edited October 2016
    Options

jcn16,

I used the pocket thing around my neck when I was home; it was just easier. When I went out I either pinned the drains to my bra under my arms, or I just put the drains in my pants pockets which worked best after I was down to two drains and the pants were kind of loose fitting.

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited October 2016
    Options

jcn16: So many excellent things to do/get/remember before and after surgery have been mentioned. Let me add one more and that is give yourself permission to excuse yourself from any activity and go to your quiet place and rest for frequent naps. I went to my bedroom, put in earplugs, listened to my favorite music and usually fell asleep. May you find your quiet space to heal, to process... Hugs

• Tasal
    Tasal Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2016
    Options

jcn16 I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate free tram flap reconstruction about 9 months ago. I had researched everything to death on these forums, books, etc. I can tell you that I did not end up using any of the things I had purchased for my drains (I had 6- 4 in breasts and 2 in abdomen). Instead, I found that it was easier for me to just continue at home what the nurses had started doing during my hospital stay- which was to safety pin the drains to the inside of my night shirt/gown (oversized, comfy material, button or snap up). I ended up bleeding a little on these shirts so who cares about some pin holes too! I had bought a lanyard for when I showered, but again I ended up using a drain belt that was provided to me from the hospital when I was checking out. When I went out I just pinned the drains to the lower inside of a snap up sweatshirt. I'm sure this is on the list already but I found a shower seat (since you won't be able to stand up straight- this is a good place to sit and wash yourself, soak in some warmth and no pulling on the drains) and some of those soft (sort of flat) little pillows to put under your arms most helpful. I wish you all the best!

• jcn16
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks everyone for all of your ideas - much appreciated! After reading your suggestions, I think I'll pass on buying the mastectomy shirt and belt and just see how it goes. I did read in a post to use an an old bathrobe and cut holes in the back/inside of the pockets to slip the drains in. Surgery is scheduled for Dec. 2.

Tasal - since you also had immediate free flap reconstruction, may I ask you: why won't I be able to stand up all the way? My surgery is on the right side only, so hopefully there will only be 3 drains total. Thanks for the info!

• Tasal
    Tasal Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2016
    Options

jcn16 I do not want to scare you as I did have a bilateral mastectomy as opposed to one side... However, it was at least 5-6 weeks before I was able to stand mostly upright. It may depend on your body type and how much tissue they are removing from your abdomen but mine was pulled very tight and between that and the upper surgery- I left the hospital hunched over at my waist. That's why I suggested the shower stool- can get for less than $20 on amazon. Because when you are hunched and have limited arm use and drains- just made things easier to be able to sit (I also have a hand held shower head). If you have any more questions about the surgery please feel free to message me directly. Best wishes!

• Keiki
    Keiki Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ideas to add. Could be duplicates, didn't read all pages.
    If you use a stool beside a higher bed, a walker will help stabilize you if you are woozie or unsteady. Sit on the edge until you get steady. Walkers and shower stools are usually available at thrift shops, especially hospital shops and Goodwill.

For the ride home, a small plastic trash can just in case of ongoing nausea.

At home, a remote control for your bedside light.

Sheepskin, or faux sheepskin tube for seatbelt. Use Velcro so you can move to other cars or when you drive.

Nail apron, like from Home Depot. Holds drains, cell phone,etc.

Be careful with stretch pants, leggings, at first. It's hard to pull up tight pants.
  • lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,425
    edited December 2016
    Options

For the ride home and used for sometime thereafter, bought online, a sheepskin seat belt cover. Do buy genuine sheepskin as the fake fleece ones tamp down/mat flat. Buy the longer length - super soft and warm also displaces the weight of the seat belt across your chest, making it far more comfortable than without.

• TinaMarieF
    TinaMarieF Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks for this wonderful list.

Can anyone who has had a double mastectomy with reconstruction comment on how it was after the first surgery (mastectomy and first plastic surgery)? Very painful? Stiff? Many many thanks!

• meg2016
    meg2016 Member Posts: 188
    edited January 2017
    Options

TinaMarieF, Do you mean having tissue expanders placed? I am not gonna lie, it is painful. I tend to think of myself as pretty tough, but I did have quite a bit of pain. Make sure you get your pain under control before you leave the hospital. There are many combos they can try and it might take some experimentation. Then for the first couple of nights at home, set an alarm for your caregiver to give you pain meds at night on whatever schedule you are on pain meds for. When I would wake up in pain (and be pretty unable to get up and take care of it myself) was the worst. After the first two nights home, I could stretch out the pain meds. The advice they gave me at the hospital was to first, just start taking the pain meds further apart and also to take something between then to take the edge off. Mine lasted six hours, so I would take one, then around hour 5 take some tylenol, this allowed me to be comfortable for more like 8 hours before I needed something. I gradually replaced the pain meds with the tylenol. I felt much better overall after I got off the pain meds, but when you need them, you need them.

Also, make sure to use the Physical Therapist who comes by in the hospital and really understand the exercises you need to do and do them. I tried to do mine just after my pain meds kicked in so they are not so hard. Even though they may hurt, they are so critical. They help prevent a lot of stiffness and other complications from not moving enough. I also went to physical therapy starting the week after my surgery, which I think helped a lot. Good luck!

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi Tina, welcome back to bco after your hiatus. Did you stay on Tamaxofin? Did you adopt?

I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction 11/11/15. I was sore and stiff for a while. No driving for two weeks, no heavy lifting, and no raising arms overhead. My husband gets queasy around blood, so I really had to take care of myself during that time: emptying drains, changing dressings, and showering myself. Drains were a bother, but manageable.

We decided not to drive the 300 miles to visit family for Thanksgiving that year so I could recover. However, I did make a nice Thanksgiving dinner for our family of 5 with some help from my teenage daughters.

Since everyone is different, you may find it helpful to read through some threads. For example, you could read through the Surgery threads of November or December 2016 to see how those folks are doing. Their surgeries were fairly recent, yet they have recovered by now. Is your surgery this month? You could join in the January 2017 surgery thread and do through the process with your "surgery sisters" here on bco.

Best wishes, Mominator

• Yvonne_M
    Yvonne_M Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2017
    Options

This is a wonderful topic, 976 results as of this post! My Mast is this week, just found out last week, so it's crunch time. I've got one of my husband's flannel shirts laid out for surgery day, maybe some easy to pull on shorts and my slippers. This is getting really real! Thanks for all this information!

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396
    edited February 2017
    Options

I had mine on 1/31, and I've been using zip up sweatshirts the most....just easier than trying to button and unbutton all the time! I got the wedge pillow...definitely helpful. Make sure you can squat well (up and down off the toilet without your arms) and your stomach muscles are ready to help you out of bed (try to sit up without your arms). Making sure I could do that has given me more independence! I also got a neck pillow and didn't think I'd like at first, but I have a hard time sleeping on my back and it's helping! I had 4 drains, down to 1. The more you move, the longer you're going to have them. So it's a balance (don't want to lay around too much, but don't go out shopping, etc).

• sunnyside22
    sunnyside22 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017
    Options

I am a master planner myself but some days feel overwhelmed and found this to be very helpful, thanks

• Teaberry
    Teaberry Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Options

I'm 3 weeks past surgery for a right breast mastectomy. It was really hard for me to sleep on my back and any other position has been really uncomfortable. Lots of pillows in assorted sized helped some but I want to share something that worked best for me... Before my surgery I had purchased a down alternative comforter (not expensive, think an amazon best seller). I had wanted a light weight one for spring/summer but this was a little too warm, so I tossed it in my closet. But when I couldn't get comfortable with pillows, I remembered that fluffy comforter. It was just great! It was easily fluffed in all the places a pillow wouldn't conform. It made a real difference in my comfort and ability to get some rest.

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2017
    Options

hello everyone,

I will be undergoing a mast w/o recon in August. Could you give me advice as to how many recovery clothing items to buy? I have a Rx for a post surgical camisole with pockets for the drains. Do I also need button up or zip up shirts with drain pockets? Did you find a drain holder for the shower useful? How about a small pillow for recovery?

When I resume my yoga practice, what should I use for comfort? A sports bra?

Thanks in advance

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    edited July 2017
    Options

MarilynIllinois: If you have a post surgical camisole with pockets, you won't need drain holders. I didn't have a camisole w/pockets.

I bought about 5 button up shirts. None of them had pockets. The drains have clips on them, and I clip the drains to my bra. If you don't have clips, you can use a safely pin to connect the loop to your bra.

I clipped the drains to a washcloth while I was in the shower, and then I put that behind my head.

Pillows are you friends. My best friend was a reading pillow that I used for sleeping as well. I slept sitting up for the first few weeks. Sitting up prevented me from rolling onto a side.

https://www.amazon.com/Porter-Bedrest-Pillow-Purple-Lounger/dp/B00KLALPRQ/ref=sr_1_92?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1498952386&sr=1-92&keywords=reading+pillow

Check with your PS when you can resume your yoga practice and how much support you will need then. We are all different, and your PS will know what is best for you. Some of us will heal faster or slower. And most important, we're all difference breast sizes and shapes, which will need more or less support.

edited to make more clear

• tnd22
    tnd22 Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2017
    Options

MaryinILlinois- I was NOT allowed to shower until after the drains came out. I have to make due with sponge baths. Fortunately for me the drains came out at day 8.

I bought a brobe from a website called thebrobe.com. It was a bra and robe combo with pockets for drains! Really good for being home with drains. The bra is detachable.

Big button up shirts are helpful when you can't put your arms above your head. Pillows, like someone said, are good but you can use small ones of your own- espeically in the car. I carried one every time I went somewhere to clutch to me in the car so it wouldn't more.

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50
    edited July 2017
    Options

Mominator and tnd22,

Thank for the good suggestions. I am planning to make good use of pillows. I've had 2 MRI guided biopsies this spring and the 2nd one left me with with a big bruise and hematoma. I should have used more pillows then

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi,

This may sound silly, but I had a wide ace bandage from when my daughter had knee surgery. It's been so hot this summer and was hot when I had surgery I couldnt wear anything but loose tank tops. I wrapped the ace bandage lightly around my stomach and put the drains inside. I did this really for the fact that I was up and walking around right away outside and could not stand to be in house. It stayed snug, but not too tight and I was able to wear minimal clothing due to heat.

• kims1961
    kims1961 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thank you for the list!!!! It is so helpful and assists me in feeling more in control and prepared for surgery! Awesome

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    edited October 2017
    Options

I was fortunate to meet a survivor who had just finished her swap out from TE to permanent and her loan out to me has been the MOST valuable. It’s called a Boppy. One of those U shaped pillows you use for infants for feeding, sleeping, sitting. It is WAY cheaper than the post surgery pillows I found online and has been a life saver for my arm positions as I sleep and rest. It also helps keep me from rolling over to my side which I’m not sure I’m ready to do yet anyway.

Between that pillow (which I still use at 4wks out) and a drain shirt, those were my two biggest helps

• reyepsf
    reyepsf Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2017
    Options

Two very helpful items for me that I don't often see posted were a large blanket scarf or pashmina that a BC survivor friend recommended. I used it instead of a robe for coverage and also as a 'lift' for getting out of the hospital bed. Even with the hospital bed lowered and the head raised, it was hard to get into a sitting position to get up and walk around. My hubby could hoist me up by the pashmina which was more gentle than just pushing me from behind. I wore it like a shawl at home for modesty since my top was often unbuttoned to easily check in my drains.

Another item I received as a gift that I loved was an 'As Seen on TV' Grabbit. It was great for getting down a blanket or extra pillow or other items from a closet before you can raise your arms. Or reach something hard to get to before you can really lean over or stretch out.

• Shadie
    Shadie Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2017
    Options

OK, I haven't seen this one answered yet.

Re: bras and camisoles. I know what my size is know, pre-surgery, but how the heck do I know what size I will be immediately post surgery (in my case, BMX with expanders)? I would like to buy bras in advance, but need guidance here. I normally don't wear a camisole, so what is the argument for getting one now, in lieu of wearing a front-closing bra?

Thanks!

• MomB
    MomB Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options

Post MAST will my daughter be able to go up and downstairs? Bedroom on third floor. Or should there be a way to sleep on first floor? Bathrooms on 1 and 3. Kitchen on 1. Am I understanding that either a recliner or a hospital bed is the ideal?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

• janett2014
    edited December 2017
    Options

Shadie,

Your plastic surgeon should be able to give you a general idea of post-surgery size. You will wake up in a surgical bra. I recommend that you buy a couple of inexpensive stretchy bras. Hanes makes a front-closing one you can buy at Walmart. About a week after surgery I liked (and still like) the Genie bra. It's comfy and stretchy so you just need to get close on the size