Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• Stephy01
    Stephy01 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2019
    Options

teaka123, nice idea. This is really sweet of you

• Askmissa
    Askmissa Member Posts: 32
    edited September 2019
    Options

I made this YouTube video on items I purchased for my double mastectomy surgery and recovery- https://youtu.be/vWWdvMMfbsQ

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited August 2019
    Options

Just a quick comment -- there is a really broad range in types and complexity of surgeries, and with it a really broad range of needs. If you're checking into this thread for the first time, don't freak out at the long list of things recommended to buy! Depending on your own circumstances, you will need a small portion of them. Same is true of the chemo recommended-to-buy lists. Not everyone needs everything. (I bought a bunch of stuff I never used, for both surgical and chemo needs, including hair loss items.)

Wishing all the best to everyone going through this. It's tough to navigate, stressful and tiring. Just keep going, one step at a time.

• RadQueen
    RadQueen Member Posts: 310
    edited August 2019
    Options

Your list was great used most of it for my Surg on 8/19. the one thing I wish I would of packed is some Weathers lozengers. My throat was so dry and no amount of water helped. I needed something a little oily to sooth it and to get the phlegm moving.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    edited August 2019
    Options

RadQueen, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're so glad to hear you found the list helpful. Thank your sharing your tips too!

Please know that we're here for you if you need help navigating the forums, or have a question you don't see posted already.

Again, welcome to the Community!

The Mods

• PinkArmor
    PinkArmor Member Posts: 51
    edited August 2019
    Options

RECOVERY

The best advice I can give is DO NOT rush your recovery. Rest, sleep, drink plenty of fluids and eat if you feel like or not. My surgery went fine but I made some terrible errors during recovery. I was pushing my self to get back to work with only 12 days off. I had both breast reduced, they remove 6 lbs from each side and the lumpectomy on the right was part of the reduction. My BS did the lumpectomy and the PS went in and finished up with reconstruction of the right and reduction on the left. Other people had told me they recovered in a week. What I didn't realize was their surgery was minor; just one incision. My surgery was major- I had an anchor cut done. Cut under the breast in the crease from between the breast to the side under my arms- both sides. Then a cut from the crease up the middle to the nipple and then an incision around the nipple b/c they did a nipple graft and reduced the nipple size. I thought I should recover in a week so I pushed. It was a huge mistake. I also didn't eat or drink properly and I didn't take the pain med like I should have. Because of this perfect storm I created I passed out while taking a shower and fell face first into the tile edge of our shower. I ended up with a lip that needed 7 stitches, a hair line fracture nose and a busted up knee. The worst though was that 3 days later I ended up with open wounds from the fall. I opened up an incision on the crease on the right and one on the left around the nipple. They were large and deep. That has delayed my radiation treatment. I am still dealing with the wounds 3.5 months later. All this happened because I was dehydrated, hadn't eaten well at all and had been trying to do things I shouldn't have been doing and my body rebelled against me.

So please take my advice and do not rush things. Someone else can do the housework, cook or whatever. Let people help and don't try to be a hero. Take the pain meds that's why they give them to you. Rest rest rest- sleep is a great healer. Eat well- protein is a big must. Your body needs protein to heal. They put me on Boost to up my protein because I haven't had an appetite since surgery. Just please learn from my mistakes because they have been costly.

Good Luck to all who are going to be having surgery.

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,496
    edited August 2019
    Options

PinkArmor, I'm sorry you went through all that and I wish you the best on your continued recovery. Hindsight is a great thing but not something we have in advance.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    NoMoreKindaCCups Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wow, this thread is amazing! After reading I don't know how many pages, I had an Amazon moment where I ordered all kinds of expensive stuff (the Brobe, a mastectomy camisole, etc) but I'll be sending them back. First, I loved the cheap solution someone posted here and went out to Home Depot to grab a nail apron under $1.50! Second, my amazing new friend Alex from The Pink Lily Cancer online store is an expert at dealing with insurance companies - she's working to get gap exception coverage for stuff like drain-management camisoles and post-mastectomy bras that are not available from anyone who is actually in-network.She came out to my home and measured me for what I would need. Fingers crossed that she wins, then I get to have the good stuff that insurance really ought to cover!

Thanks to everyone here who has helped prepare me for my surgery later this week!

• Askmissa
    Askmissa Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hre is a video I made on what I bought for my double mastectomy surgery - https://youtu.be/vWWdvMMfbsQ

• aussie-cat
    edited October 2019
    Options

NoMoreKindaCCups, I'm glad you've found this thread helpful. I hope your surgery goes well and your insurance covers everything you need.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks, Aussie-Cat - I still haven't heard about the gap exception, but still hopeful. I've been reading your posts for a while. I was lurking since the ultrasound doctor started patting my arm... that's when I first knew it was cancer just over a month ago. I'm glad to finally be getting to the other side of surgery.

• aussie-cat
    edited October 2019
    Options

NoMoreKindaCCups,I read a lot of posts here before my surgery too. It certainly is good to get the surgery over with. Let us know how it goes, if you feel up to it.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited October 2019
    Options

Just sharing a little good news - between my BS, the BC nurse navigator, and Alex at The Pink Lily, they were able to convince Anthem BC/BS to cover my cami and post-sx bras with the gap exception! Bless them all!!

• aussie-cat
    edited October 2019
    Options

That's great, C Cups!

• stauggie
    stauggie Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2019
    Options

I'm scheduled for a MBX with immediate reconstruction in two weeks, with tissue expanders placed. My instructions say I need front closure sports bras for 6-8 weeks. I think that I've read that that I should get them larger than my normal size due to swelling. Should I go up one size? Or two? Get one of each and see which fits best lol?!? I can always order more later, thanks to the speedy shipping options so many stores offer now. Please let me know what worked for you! I don't normally wear sports bras, so I'm clueless.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    edited October 2019
    Options

St Augie - I woke up in a surgical bra and got one more before I left the hospital. I wore nothing else for at least a week. BTW - Kotex pads and gradually Light Day Panty Liners work really well inside of the bras across the incisions instead of bandages. In addition I bought two front closure cotton bras from WalMart - Fruit of the Loom something like this... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Womens-Comfort-Front-Close-Sport-Bra-Style-96014/13997192

Definitely NOT something you have to pull over your head or stretch past your incisions. You probably won't be allowed to raise your arms above shoulder length for awhile. You will likely have some fill in your TEs, but they won't be fully expanded so it's hard to see why you'd want much bigger that what you're already wearing. But if you can try them on now, you'll be able to judge before you won't want to try them on.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    LiveLoveLaugh2020 Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2020
    Options

Haven't read through all the pages but just in case wanted to add: electric razor! A wax is a good idea as well. I waxed my underarms knowing I wouldn't be able to shave for a while and love my electric razor so much that I use it all the time now. Hope this helps.

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited January 2020
    Options

after chemo and I lost all my hair (everywhere) my underarm hair never came back. Lucky me!

• striveforhealth
    striveforhealth Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2020
    Options

rljes, Your underarm hair didn't grow back after chemo....I'm so glad there was a really great positive side effect to your chemo treatment. No more underarm shaving for you!! :-)

• VeeHow
    VeeHow Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2020
    Options

I haven’t started looking for bras yet. I know I’m just getting a lumpectomy but this plus sized lady wants to get one that fits. Who knows what’s going to fit. I’m afraid to order.

• VeeHow
    VeeHow Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2020
    Options

I just need to know what’s I’ll need for home care. I’m just having an outpatient lumpectomy but I won’t have any help after the first day and I’m afraid I’m not prepared..

• minustwo
    edited March 2020
    Options

Bumping to the top for a new question

• minustwo
    edited April 2020
    Options

Bumping for Daze

• minustwo
    edited April 2020
    Options

bumping for Belle

• missallycat519
    missallycat519 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2020
    Options

I had a double mastectomy & reconstructive surgery back in march of this year after being diagnosed with stage 1 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma...from my understand of what I've read on this site is that it's very common to experience pain in the arm area of where lymph nodes are removed...which in my case, I did have a few removed from my dominant side which is my right & they were negative....but ever since surgery my arm pain seems to be getting worst or I'm just getting annoyed by the numbing tingling pain & tightening sensation I've been experiencing off & on ever since surgery. ..from my right shoulder all the way down to my wrist...over the counter pain meds don't help & it hurts to do arm stretching exercises but I try to do them & push through the pain....Any helpful tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited May 2020
    Options

missallycat, what you're feeling is probably very normal, if painful! I recommend talking with your doctor to get a referral for physical therapy. As far as the numbness, that might continue for a long time. I'm a year past surgery and the numb feeling is pretty minimal now, but there is still some sensation of it. But DO please talk to your doctor.

• minustwo
    edited May 2020
    Options

missally - have you talked to your doc about lymphadema? Unfortunately most docs don't know much, but it's real. You can research on this site below and there are lots of LE threads on BCO

https://www.stepup-speakout.org/

• Lostchick
    Lostchick Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2020
    Options

TRS Post Surgical Drain Bulb Carrier Pouch for Shower Plus Day/Night Apron Ostomy Mastectomy Supplies https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073MPWNBN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oej0EbRVFKCK4

I hope this shows up. I bought this for my bmx on 5/12. It was a lifesaver!! For 25 bucks, I never had to worry about pinning my drains or what I was going to do with them. The extra mesh apron worked great for the shower too! (I was thankfully allowed to shower with the drains). On a funny note, my kids said it looked like a waitress apron and kept jokingly asking me if I had a straw for their drink.

• Tiffin68
    Tiffin68 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hello Everyone. I'm trying to get all my items early for my June 24th DMX. What size wedge is best for sleeping the 7.5, 10, or 12? Any help is appreciated.

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

Tiffin - Assuming you mean bilateral mastectomy? (BMX) Sorry I didn't buy a wedge. I just had a lot of pillows that I propped on both sides of me so I couldn't turn by mistake.
    Interesting I was always a side or stomach sleeper. 9 years down the road of course I don't sleep on my stomach, but I'm now comfortable sleeping on either side and often wake up sleeping on my back - which I never did before BC