Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• a3vee
    a3vee Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2018
    Options

If you have an outlet mall close to you, try there. I went to the outlet mall in Rehoboth beach and went to Maidenform store. I found the sports bras that zip up front. I wear a 40 DDD. The sales lady told me any thing that I needed they can also order for me to be shipped to me or any store close to you. She told me to come back when I start chemo, so she can put me in a soft bra. Hope that helps.

• Willow22
    Willow22 Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2018
    Options

this may have been added to the surgery "bring to hospital list" already - but bring a charger for your cell phone and any other electronics (kindle, ipod, ipad, etc)!

Willow

• momof2girlies
    momof2girlies Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi, all. My surgery is coming up on July 13th (double mastectomy with TEs), and my sister is setting up a Meal Train for me. She asked how many meals per week I want people to bring, but I have no clue! Thoughts?

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi Momof2girls, mine was two weeks. After that I was picking up premade food at the grocery store. I think I cooked about a month out light things

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited June 2018
    Options

momof2,

I think having a meal brought to you every other day is about right. That would be 3-4 meals a week. Most people make enough so you will have leftovers. That also assumes that you will already have easy breakfast and lunch foods at your house.

How nice for your sister to arrange the meal train.

• fairchild
    fairchild Member Posts: 138
    edited July 2018
    Options

Question: I'm having bilateral mastectomies on July 26. Wondering what I need to deal with the drains...I've read everything from lanyards to special vests. what's the cheapest, easiest thing I can get to help with this? thanks!

• fairchild
    edited July 2018
    Options

Also, a friend asked about what kind of food I'd like. I have no idea. What will I feel like eating after the surgery?

• janett2014
    edited July 2018
    Options

Fairchild,

Everyone is different, but here’s what I did. A nice breast cancer survivor came to my hospital room the day after my BMX and gave me a drain holder to wear around my neck. It was easy to deal with, and I wore it when I was home. When I went out I either safety-pinned the drains inside my shirt or to my bra. Sometimes I just put the drains in my pockets if I was wearing loose-fitting pants or capris. For showering, I tied an old pair of pantyhose around my neck and “strung” the drains on that. So really I spent nothing on drain issues.

Regarding food, I wanted small quantities of pretty much anything. I didn’t have much appetite and my husband is not a big eater. We didn’t need a lot, but people tend to want to bring big quantities. I also had stocked up on easy-to-prepare items ahead of time.

One of the most challenging things for me was sleeping on my back for a few weeks. I would prop up with lots of pillows. Somehow leaning slightly one way or the other kind of gave me the illusion of sleeping on my side until I could actually do it.

Go back and read lots of good tips in this thread.

• janett2014
    edited July 2018
    Options

Fairchild,

The same lady who brought me the drain holder also gave me a padded mini pillow with Velcro on it to attach to the car seatbelt. It was very helpful; a small travel pillow works well too. Put it between your chest and the seatbelt.

She also gave me two heart-shaped pillows to hold on my sides while sitting. They definitely added to my comfort.

• fairchild
    edited July 2018
    Options

Folks, I'm getting nervous... My surgery is scheduled for July 26, and suddenly it's July! I have several different kinds of soft, unconstructed bras. I have several pajama outfits that button up the front and have short sleeves (my Amazon purchase!).

What else do I need? Friends will bring food, and my brother will be here to take care of me. (I"m single) My husband bailed during my first cancer 20 years ago (sarcoma), so it's a pretty difficult time.

What are the pillows for? Will a pillow from the bed do? I have a lanyard at work that I can bring home for the drains....How many drains are there?

I'm sorry if I'm asking the same questions over and over. I'm just nervous...

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,496
    edited July 2018
    Options

Fairchild, it sounds like you're doing well in trying to get prepared for your upcoming surgery. I'm sorry it's such a difficult time for you. There's a good list at the top of this page about what can be helpful for hospital and going home afterwards. I didn't use some of the things I brought to hospital but it was great having lip balm and a magazine to read. A small cushion for the ride home and any other car trips really helps the seat belt not to hurt. Women find a lot of pillows can be helpful to get comfortable in bed but I found an extra triangular pillow has been enough to help me sleep on my back. I had two drains on each side but it varies depending on the kind of surgery you're having, and the decision of the surgeon. My drains didn't drain much and two came out on day 2 and the other two came out on day 4. I hope your surgery goes well.

• fairchild
    edited July 2018
    Options

Aussie-Cat thanks so much! That's encouraging to hear about the drains. And now I get the picture with the pillows!

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,496
    edited July 2018
    Options

You're welcome, Fairchild. It's so nice having each other to ask questions to and listen.

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited July 2018
    Options

My Plastic surgeon sent me home from the hospital with a handy little velcro belt that you attach the drains to. I can think of one other thing (because I too had a large list) which probably sounds pretty odd, but get your underarms waxed 3-4 days before the surgery. No shaving worries for a month or so.

• Jt3
    edited July 2018
    Options

awesome waxing! I didn’t even think about that

• Courtz
    Courtz Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2018
    Options

I am headed for a double mastectomy and reconstruction. Currently still waiting to see the PS. Hoping that a DIEP Flap will be possible. Mine is luckily not for cancer, but rather a very aggressive diabetic mastopathy that is causing a lot of pian and turning my breasts into stone. That coupled with a high risk family profile, my BS has suggested that this is the only way forward. This thread has been very insightful, so thank you!

• macmomma
    macmomma Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2018
    Options

I just had my BMX with DIEP 8/6. I echo the difficulty with sleeping on my back. I did get an electric recliner, but I'm much more comfortable in bed. My husband makes me what I call my "pillow cup" with pillows at my back, knees, and both sides. I, too, find it easier to sleep on my back if I lean a little to one side or another. I have the heart pillows that the volunteers gave me, and I put those under my cheeks so it feels like I'm sleeping on my side. One thing I did that I haven't seen is to use a half slip for a nightgown. I'm in the corset and binder 24/7 so am very covered up--I just want to cover the drains and my privates. A large half slip does that very well and very comfortably. The one I have is probably 20 years old--don't know if they even make them any more!

• desertpup
    desertpup Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2019
    Options

These lists are great. The adult baby wipes were AMAZING. For your face, your bum, your armpits, everywhere! Really made me feel good to self care and get fresh each day. I went a little nuts with skin care too and enjoyed the ritual of nightly face/neck/chest love. Cleanse, exfoliate, serums, eye cream, moisturizer. LOVED it. I had a basket on my bedside table that held all my pills and lip balms, water bottles and fans for hot flashes. I also put a large tray on the bed that held my remotes,eyeglasses, lip balm (I love lip balms) and other things that were great to have close by and stable. And pillows- SO MANY PILLOWS. King size, standard, soft, hard. They made it so nice to be propped up, under the legs, under the arms or leaning to the side. Agree on the Walmart tip for bras and jammies. The bras feel so good holding it all in and up while the swelling goes down.

• desertpup
    desertpup Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2019
    Options

RE: The waxing. I was told not to touch my armpit area with any razors or wax for 2 weeks prior to surgury. The risk of an open cut or abrasion causing infection was too great.

• Christene502
    Christene502 Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2019
    Options

I want to prepare as much as possible before my DM surgery - have to say, is sounds too much to take in for me.

The list is extremely helpful. Just not sure about wearing a bra right after a DM.... Ouch! Sounds painful.

How do you shower? I can not get down in the tub, had total knee and hip replaced. Plus frozen shoulder due to fracture and bone infection.

• janett2014
    edited April 2019
    Options

Christene502,

You will probably be wearing a surgical bra when you wake up from surgery. Your doctor and/or nurse will give you instructions on when or whether you can change to a different type bra or maybe not wear one at all.

They all have different opinions on showering too. Mine said it was fine after 36 hours as long as all incisions (including drain incisions) were covered with Tagaderm. It’s like the Press ‘n’ Seal you use in the kitchen. Before showering I looped my drains (4) to a knee high stocking and hung it around my neck. That worked well.

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited April 2019
    Options

I woke up with a 1960's ish binder on (some well meaning volunteer made it ) - but due to itchy skin, I had to wear a pillowcase under the binder.  The staff gave me Lanyards to attach the (bulbs? - chemo brain )  when showering. They also gave me little pockets to attach to my shirt with safety pins to keep 'bulbs' in place.  (i'll wake up 3am with the name).  I'm not sure how long I had to wait to shower.  I remember the binder, tho itchy, felt good keeping everything nice and tight. 

• crossh
    crossh Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2019
    Options

I have a large snap in the front shirt with the pockets inside to hold the drainage bulbs. It was perfect after my BMX. It was given to me by a friend who went through the same thing. I would love to donate it to someone. These shirts are very expensive. Let me know if anyone wants it. I’ll ship it out to you if you’re not local to Philadelphia. Private message me.

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi Everyone, 

That's very nice of you crossh - For those of you needing such items, I bought button down shirts at a Thrift store.  The cancer clinic gave me little pouches to keep my drainage bulbs in, and just safety pinned them to my shirt. Nothing fancy.  You will only need them for a few weeks. 

PS - just a reminder, if you have a dog that needs to be walked during this period, I wrapped the leash around my waist so not to pull on my arms. My dog seemed to know I wasn't feeling well, and behaved great! 

• Kellyruss
    Kellyruss Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2019
    Options

Printed out your list. My surgery is in 3 weeks. Does anyone recommend toilet seat aids? Is it hard to get on and off the toilet? I did get a shower chair and a remote recliner. Diep flap surgery with double mastectomy.Thank you.

• Jt3
    edited May 2019
    Options

You won’t want to be using your upper body much after the surgery bearing weight etc.

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    edited May 2019
    Options

Kelly, Jt3 is right. I had a BMX on 4/2 & then revision surgery on both for an infection. With expanders in you DON'T want to be using upper body for much at all. SOOOO uncomfortable! I had my expanders taken out (will get them back after radiation is done) and it's been 9 days and there are days that I want to slap myself for trying to us my elbow to prop me up in bed, even for a min! I didn't do the flap so I'm not sure how you're going to feel there but the specs need time to heal and get used to being abused. ALSO prepare yourself for your arms being VERY,sore after surgery... it has to do with how the "tie us down" during surgery. Tendons get pulled and they need time to heal.

Good luck with your surgery.

• HopeWins
    HopeWins Member Posts: 81
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thank you for the information! Can anyone answer the following.? I'm having DIEP.

• How long until we can lift our arms over our head?
    • Generally, how long should we expect to have drains?
    • Should I get a bra that will be very snug or very stretchy to allow for swelling?
    • Low riders or high waist pull on pants considering the abdomenal incision?
    • Any other tips for DIEP/abdomenal recovery supplies/prep?
    I just ordered a couple front snap bras but they're stretchy cotton, so I'm thinking those won't work if we need compression.

Thanks!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hope - as I'm sure you know, every person is different. Dive in and start reading the postings on several of the surgery threads to get a better feeling. That said, every doc has different recommendation too. When you get a chance, got to 'my profile', fill in your info and make it available. It's easier to answer questions if we know your particular issues.

I did not have a diep, so supposedly easier recovery but:

I had to wait 6 weeks before moving arms higher than my shoulders. I had one drain a week and the second two weeks. I know people who have had drains 4 weeks. Many of us wake up after surgery in a surgical bra that the docs require for several weeks. That said, every doc is still different on what he/she recommends. Many require underwire bras - some say never underwire. Many require Spanx on the abdomen, some say never.

• teaka123
    teaka123 Member Posts: 29
    edited August 2019
    Options

HopeWins, consider a long skirt with an elastic waist. You can pull it up midway between the incision and the breasts. My DIEP was delayed as chemo came into play for me. I had purchased several skirts in anticipation of the surgery. My best to you!