Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• Ihavehope
    Ihavehope Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I finally got my surgical date, it is not until the end of March.  I won't hold my breath as it depends on all doctors getting together.  I will have a breast surgeon and 2 plastic surgeons helping my plastic surgeon.  Gee wiz, I am lucky I live in Canada and it is all paid for by my healthcare system. Wink
  • Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thanks for all the great tips ladies! I have my mastectomy and ovary removal on September 25th. Trying to make sure I have it all covered!!

• Izzy
    Izzy Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies!

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and posting how your surgery went. I had 3 lumpecties 12/08 and 35 radiation Feb-Mar 09. Now I have a new cancer in my R breast. So Oct 16 going for bilateral MX and Latissamus Dorsi immed recon with implants. Oh so excited - NOT!

Suggestions? How did you get your hair washed in the hospital? I have thin, fine hair and it is nasty if not washed daily. How is the hospital stay, do the nurses help or are they too busy? I will be in 3-4 days.  Also, how much help will I really need when I get home? I am married and have a wonderful caring husband. Thank God. I have a step daughter that is off at college. No family around and friends all working. My husband has some vacation he is going to use, and maybe able to do some work from home.

Thank you all for our openness and care for one another.

Izzy 

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

I will think of you later this month Dragonfly. 

Izzy, I can only relate from my hospital stay when I broke my leg last year.  There were nurses assistants that took me to a shower but I used the extension to wash myself.  I am sure if I asked the assistants would have helped me if I needed it.  The first few days  after surgery I only did a basin bath.  Now I was in because that is when my cancer was diagnosed as metasticised outside my breast and I had a number of scans to determine the actual extent at that time.  Also I live alone and they didn't want to send me back to a 2 story house without assistance until I was stronger.  Good luck with your surgery.  Smile

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited September 2009
    Options

Had my preop today I will be going in on 28th for my scond mastectomy.Dragonfly we will be recoverying at same time.Keep in touch

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2009
    Options

Mumayan - Wow, we are close together. I will try to get on here soon after my surgery and update on how it went!! You say this is your 2nd mastectomy? So you know what to expect to a point?

• mumito
    edited September 2009
    Options

Yes The first one was a radical mast which included underarn nodes this time its just a simple mast.Still the same recovery with two drains to take care of.Here in Ont we go home the same day but have nurses check our incision and drainage daily.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2009
    Options

I was surprised when my breast surgeon said 3-4 nights in the hospital. I think maybe because I'm having both breasts, and the ovaries removed in the same surgery? I'll take it though either way! I have a 9 year old at home, so at the hospital I can rest more :)

• mumito
    edited September 2009
    Options

I think our biggest worry is getting an infection or catching some virus.Try not to stay in the hospital too long.Do you have help at home for the first week?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2009
    Options

Yeah, that would be awful to get sick from all this while in the hospital. My parents are coming up for the surgery, as well as my grandparents. My Mom and grandparents I know are staying a week at least then it depends after that. I also have a couple friends that offered to help with dinner, so I have them lined up for the first few days home from the hospital.

• mumito
    edited September 2009
    Options

Sounds like you have plenty of help.Just make sure your help doesn't bring any cold virus's with them into your enviorment. Are you scheduled for chemo after or rads?

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2009
    Options

Well not much I can do about the virus stuff, just be cautious. I had the chemo, but will have rads after the surgery. Not sure when they usually do it.

• mumito
    edited September 2009
    Options

I also had chemo before my surgery and rads about 11/2 months later.You have to have your flexability in your arms back before you do rads.The arm exercises will be inportant durring your recovery.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2009
    Options

Wow 1 1/2 months later? I never realized the range of motion in your ams would have an affect on rads? Learn something new every day :)

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

IT looks like you ladies are ready.  I will continue with herceptin and clodronate and tomoxophen after my surgery but my double mastectomy isn't until next spring now.  It give me time to get fit for the operation so I do better in the recovery.  I don't have any help, I live on my own, but I prefer that so I don't feel like I am hosting anything.  Last time I came out of the hospital and my mom came to visit and it was so hard on me even a month after surgery as I had a broken femor.  I will be in hospital for 6 days, probably because it is a double mastectomy with removal of lymph nodes on one side and reconstruction at the same time.  No radiation so no need to wait for reconstruction TG as I only want one recovery...one is bad enough. 

I will think of you ladies next week. (hugs)

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2009
    Options

Ihavehope-

I sure wish I didn't have to have so many surgeries but what can ya do huh? I know when my Mom and I met with the surgeon she told the surgeon she'd be here as long as I needed her. I thought AHHHHHH!!! I am so used to it being just my daughter and I at home that having family there will be crazy, however I know I will need the help with my daughter, so I will bite my tongue and take it! My surgery is a week from today, so I've been shopping and making sure I'm stocked up on food and necessities for a couple weeks! I'm ready to get this step over with for sure!

• lauramc
    lauramc Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2009
    Options

I'm going to be having a double in December with some lymph nodes removed.  I'm in chemo now and rads after the surgery.  How long is it before you can raise your arms?  I'm wondering how many button down shirts I need to buy because I don't usually wear them.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited September 2009
    Options

Lauramc - I'm having the same thing next week!

• transplante
    transplante Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2009
    Options

Lauramc,

I had my bi lat mast with DIEP flap on September 3. 

My PS said I could wear "over the head" shirts after the drains were out. I was lucky and the drains came out after a week. Before I left the hospital the occupational therapist gave mea list of exercises to do which have helped a lot in loosening up the arms.

Hope that helps!

Ann

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Ann, I am so happy things are going well for you. 

Dragonfly, I am thinking of you today.  I hope things go as well for you as they have for Ann.  I am glad I have minimized my surgeries by having the reconstruction at the same time as the double mastectomies and lymph nodes removal.  I have had 2 surgeries already with my broken leg and am glad it is finally healing - pathelogic break in the femour. 

Laura, things have been different for me, I started with daily radiation for a week on my femour and then chemo last year and herceptin and tomoxophen and clodronate ever since.  My tumours have all reduced and now I am a candidate for surgery.  My surgery won't be until spring which allos me time to lose the weight and gain some strength I need.  My cancer is now well maintained, no further growth and nothing new since we started treatment in the spring of 08.  I wish I could help you but Ann and Dragonfly are your best advisors.

I feel lucky that I have great medical support and great personal support here as well as with my friends.  I know that we will all be fine if we take things one step at a time. Laughing

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2009
    Options

Lee...I am 41, just finished having a DIEP in NOLA (New Orleans) 3 weeks ago..as for panites...I went commando in hospital. In the hotel, I wore my usual and since then...SPANX!! You will have to be in compression for weeks so underwear becomes nearly obsolete for awhile. I still have one drain left and hope to have that out next week. Pick my brain anytime! Good Luck

• mumito
    edited September 2009
    Options

Dragonfly Hugs go out to you today I am in surgery tomorrow let us know how you are doing.Hang in there.

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hoping you are feeling Okay , Dragonfly. Hope you are getting lots of rest .

Happy

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thanks Warrior, that takes me back to the commando idea, LOL.  I hope you heal quickly and get out of the drain soon. 

Have a great week everyone. Cool

• LeeMcC
    LeeMcC Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi all --  My DIEP surgery was Sept 22, so I'm a week post-op and doing really well! The second surgeon with Dr Craigie in Charleston happened to be Dr Allen! My new girls look great .... and they even gave me nipples (a jump start on Stage 2!). My day nurse at the hospital had this same surgery 5 years ago with Craigie and Allen, so she was a real help in the hospital.

I left Charleston to come home yesterday, and the breast drains are out. I now just have the hip drains -- and they should come out within a week. I'm up and walking around a lot, and trying to improve my posture (standing up straight) a little each day.

it's wonderful to be on the other side .... and I can't say enough great things about Dr Craigie/Dr Allen and having the surgery in Charleston!

Lee 

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi Lee,

Such great news!! I do not know Dr Craigie and I do know Dr Allen. How funny about your day nurse. I adore Dr Allen! He also made a nipple for me during sugery (I was able to keep one )and may not need stage two- too soon to tell.

You take good care of yourself this week. I am convinced that the first week post- op is easier than week two. 

Great news! Glad you are feeling well and keep us posted on your recovery, LeeSmile

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thats great to hear Lee!

Sounds like you are doing pretty good.  Rest & take it easy.

Pam

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Good to hear from you Lee.  I'm glad to hear you are so chipper and are doing so well.  Cool
  • mumito
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hows everyone doing? I am only taking painkillers at night.Surgeon ended up taking a bit more than she originally planned including a few lymphnodes to be sent to pathology.She was just being  cautious. Dragonfly Hope to hear from you.Hope everything is going well.

• Ihavehope
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Glad you are doing so well Mamayan.  Laughing