Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• chinablue
    chinablue Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2009
    Options

What kind of clothes do you wear the first week home from the hospital?

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2009
    Options

My suggestion is anything comfortable and easy to put on and take off.  My surgery (bilat with expander recon) was in June 2007, I wore front button tops, elastic waist shorts/capri's, slip on shoes. My surgeon put me in front zip compression bras that I had to wear the first week.

Sheila

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,808
    edited July 2009
    Options

I went for my pre-opt appointments yesterday afternoon.  Met with both surgeons and also went over to the surgery center for EKG, etc.  Learned that the only kind of panties you're allowed to wear during and after surgery at this surgery center are cotton.  So I guess I'll buy at least one pair of cotton panties.

This list helped me a lot in preparing for my bilat. with one-step recon. coming up on Fri.  I went to Dillard's and found cute pajamas on sale.  They button down the front and have elastic waists in the cropped pants.  Modest enough that I won't need a robe when I'm back at home recovering.  Normally I don't wear pj's so they will probably be throwaways or giveaways afterwards.   I also bought a couple of blouses that button up the front, a little larger than I would normally wear.

My surgeon said no to the camisole.  I'll come home in a surgical bra that he wants me to wear.  The drains will be held in a fanny pack that will also be provided.  I won't be able to shower until the drains are out especially during the first 5 days because I'll have a pain pump that apparently shouldn't get wet.  I bought a package of disposable washcloths at Walmart.  The surgeon doesn't expect the drains to be in more than a week.  From reading these forums, I'm prepared for the time to be longer. 

I'll only be in the hospital overnight barring complications.  I'm borrowing a wedge pillow for my bed that I'll use when I get home the next day if necessary.  The surgeon didn't recommend it but I read on these forums that some women sleep in recliners so I got the impression that it might be difficult to sit up from a lying position. 

Can you use deodorant after the bilat?

Breastcancer.org has been a godsend for me.  So much support and information.  Thanks to everybody who participates.

• Ihavehope
    Ihavehope Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole, ask your surgeons but my understanding is no deodorant day of surgery or until the incisions heal.  Now if you don't have any incision under your arm or near your underarm, you may be ok. 

• MapleTree
    MapleTree Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2009
    Options

I discovered an inexpensive, versatile, and comfortable way to wear the drains: I took some shortie cotton athletic socks, cut them off 5" below the top, and sewed straight across the cut edges.  Then I could slip a drain bulb all the way inside and use another large safety pin to pin the sock's top cuff, rather than the scratchy plastic hanger on the bulb, to the bottom of my bra.  You would think it would make more sense to cut 5" up from the toe, but then that leaves a raveling top edge that doesn't hold the safety pin well.  The few times I went out of the house with my drains, I chain-linked two or three huge safety pins for each sock, which put the drains right at my hip bones.  Under a blousy, thin cotton sweater with a bottom band just below the drain level, the drains didn't look too ridiculous.

I would also recommend having your family member or friend bring Clorox wipes to the hospital.  As soon as he or she gets into your room--preferably even before you do--he or she can wipe down everything: bed rails, nurse call button, phone, TV remote, sink taps, toilet seat, the metal box around the toilet paper,and so on.  My cousin, who was staying with me, even poured some bleach into the hospital toilet to sit for ten minutes before flushing it out.  And we had rubbing alcohol to disinfect my feet whenever I forgot and touched the floor with them (though I tried not to do that).

My cousin and a friend who also stayed with me some in the hospital kept a log of my medications and of every other procedure administered by the nurses.  Even the best hospital personnel can make deadly mistakes, especially around the time of the change of shift.

Once I came home, I was glad I had bought an extra-long, extra-wide foam bed wedge and foam leg elevation cushion.  I also had bottles of rubbing alcohol and latex exam gloves for myself and friends to use when stripping my drain tubes or before touching anywhere near my incisions.  I also was glad for a pair of short, round-ended surgical scissors, which were good for trimming off loose bits of steri-strips and gauze--after sterilizing the blades with rubbing alcohol, of course.

Oh, and a week before the surgery, I raised my Netflix membership to the five-movies-at-a-time level.  I'll lower it again soon, since I'm now back at work, feeling lucky to have gotten through the worst of everything. 

• MapleTree
    edited August 2009
    Options

One more thing: before my surgery, I bought a stack of cheapo white cotton washcloths, folded them in half, and sewed them into mitts.  Be careful; if your hands are large, some inexpensive washcloths are too small for this.)  After surgery, during the long period when I couldn't shower, I used the mitts dipped in rubbing alcohol or distilled water and wrung out to clean near my incisions, and I used them with regular water everywhere else.  The mitt shape helps keep them from dripping on incisions, where you don't want them to drip.

• ferndiva
    ferndiva Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2009
    Options

If I buy the bra before surgery, should I get a larger size bra? Actually I don't wear one usually, but assume everything is swollen and will need a larger size. I will be having a lat flap done in Sept. so I am unclear how to plan bra size since it is really a front and back surgery.

FernDiva

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467
    edited August 2009
    Options

I found it cold in the mornings in the hospital and so I would suggest you take a pashima/shawl with you to wrap around your shoulders while you sit in bed.

I packed some sanitary pads with me because my period was late.  Sure enough the day after the surgery my period started.  I was sure glad I had my own thin maxi pads to use rather than the bulky hospital ones!

I had a tote bag that I kept on my bed with my magazines and candy (werthers and campino) and I also had a small zip bag that I kept with me that held my glasses, lip gloss, ipod and phone.

• mychoice
    mychoice Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi all....I wanted to add something because I didn't think about at all.....I'm a HUGH caffeine addict.  Have been for too many years.  I had N/V  after my bmx because of the general anesthesia  and pain meds but what I didn't plan on was the caffeine with drawl headache!   One more pain too remember.

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Wow some great suggestions, I love the socks idea.  I am not much of a sewer but I will take some antibacterial and some alcohol sanitizer with me.  Wink
  • MapleTree
    edited August 2009
    Options

If you don't sew, you can still make the sock holders: just pin the bottoms with another huge safety pin.  You may want to make several pairs, since un-sewn ones don't wash well in the washer.

By the way, I see that a couple of my suggestions had already been posted earlier by other people.  I had read through the entire thread weeks ago, before my own surgery, but had forgotten some of the content.  Sorry for the duplication!

• MapleTree
    edited August 2009
    Options

FernDiva, ask your surgeon whether he or she is going to provide a bra.  The bras worn right after surgery are compression bras--a whole different species from even sports bras.  My surgeon required that I wear the two bras he had provided for three weeks, day and night.  I got really tired of them, since they were made of nylon, but compression bras don't come in cotton--and they really do help control the pain, swelling, and bruising.  After those three weeks were up, my surgeon said I didn't have to wear a bra at all.  Magic!  No sagging!  He says I can wear a sports bra now if I want, but not the kind that has a band right under the breast.  Unfortunately, that includes 99% of the sports bras out there.  In addition, because of the weird shape of the tissue expanders--especially in these early stages, when they're under-inflated--nothing but a sports bra would fit well over them. I'll be changing sizes so much during the next few months that it doesn't make sense to me to spend a whole lot of money ordering something fancy from online, and I feel perfectly comfortable without a bra at this point, so I'm going to wait at least a few months before I buy a bra.

• transplante
    transplante Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2009
    Options

Yesterday, at my pre-op appointment, they gave me some pillows to use under the seatbelt on the way home. Former patients designed them and make them for the office to give out which I thought was just lovely.

I keep hearing "pillows, pillows, pillows and more pillows!" In case anyone is interested in yet MORE pillows, Target has body pillows on sale for $7.50. The PA suggested that I get some to keep me from rolling over (I figured the pain would keep me from doing that, but whatever) and I stumbled on to this sale.

Thanks for all the great tips - I am starting my packing list tomorrow.

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thank you again Mapletree and don't apologize for duplication, good suggestions are worth rementioning.  :)

No targets north of the 39th but thanks Transplante.  I found one of those pillows at walmart and its very soft.  :)

• transplante
    edited August 2009
    Options

This thread started me thinking about what my husband will need. So I am starting a basket of "surprises" for him. A friend is bringing it to the hospital to give to him after I am in surgery.

iTunes gift card - so he can dowload a book on tape, music, movie, whatever

roll of quarters - for the pop machine

deck of cards - surgery is supposed to be 8 - 10 hours. He can play cards with whoever shows up

remote control car -pure silliness but he will think it is fun!

box of Special K meal bars - at least he will have something semi-healthy to snack on

chapstick - hospital environments can be very drying

bottle of special single malt scotch - something he would never buy for himself, but will appreciate very much when he gets home

travel blanket - hospital can get cold

framed picture of the two of us

tissues

Any other ideas out there?

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

Minihand sanitizer Transplante so he can eat in the chair he is sitting in knowing his hands are clean, especially when hopsitals are places with sick people. 

Maybe a bag of popcorn that he can microwave in the kitchen.  My hospitals have kitchens on each unit for patients use.  Bottle of water.  Decaf coffee mix and a reusable cup.  Inflatable pillow for his neck if he feels he needs a nap.  A book.  Kleenex placket.  A card with a loving note.  : )

I love this idea Transplate.  How lovely for your hubby.

edited to add:

A couple DVDs to play on a laptop?

• transplante
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks - those are great ideas, especially the hand sanitizer.

He has been so incredibly supportive through all this that I wanted to do something for him. Plus, it helps me focus on something else besides myself!

Off to figure out what books and movies he would enjoy....

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

Awww that is so sweet Transplante.  Maybe you can also give him an IOU massage sometime? or IOU golf game or tickets for a future sports event or circle some sports event the two of you can watch together afterwards on a TV guide.  : )

• transplante
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Another great idea! He would love to go to a Navy football game - gonna check that out right now!
  • spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited August 2009
    Options

Before my mastectomy I put an egg crate mattress on top of my mattress and bought a long body pillow.  Loved them and made it so much more comfortable.  Had an insulated cup for drinking and book and lamp by the bed.  Since I couldn't raise my arms or life a gallon of milk my husband would pour my milk and put it in the bottom shelf of the ice box before he went to work.  If a can of something needed opening he would open it and put it in a microwave bowl for me. Lots of people have said they slept better in a reclining chair at first.  God bless you, wishing you the very best. 

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks spar2.  I have one on my bed because my bed used to be too hard.  :D

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

When is your surgery Transplante.   I would like to be thinking great thoughts for you that day.  : )

• transplante
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks - I need all the positive thoughts I can get. September 3 is the big day for me.

I had all my pre-surgery testing today: blood work, ekg, physical. When I tried to get my chest x-ray, they told me I had to drive back down to my home town to get that because the radiology lab does not take my insurance! So two hours back down the road we went and it is all done. Stopped at Old Navy and bought pajama pants and a buttom front shirt for the ride home. Now all that is left to do is the worst part: wait.

• LeeMcC
    LeeMcC Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2009
    Options

I'm taking very good notes ... and starting my list from this thread. My DIEP surgery (BMX with immediate recon) is Sept. 22. I know about the camis and Marsipial Pouch (belt for drains), but nobody has mentioned what kind of panties are good. I'm sure nothing that hits at the hips will feel good against an inscision. So, granny panties? No panties? 

Lee

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

I will keep you on my mind 3 Sept Transplante.  I still don't have a date, awaiting my plastic surgeon's receptionist to call me, its only been 6 weeks since my consult with the plastic surgeon.  :o

:LeeMcC, I don't know, but I planned on goiing commando :o 

• transplante
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks, Ihavehope! Six weeks? I cannot even imagine... It has to be excrutiating

Commando? Wowza! I bought some boyshort undies two sizes bigger than I normally wear. Hopefully that will work. if not commando it is! We can start a trend! How about it Lee?

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

I could have had my double mastectomy in May but I want both surgeries at the same time and as my Cancer is well maintained, it hasn't grown or had new growths since we started treatment and in fact it has either shrunk or 3 of my bone metastices have gone with radiation treatments.  Too bad we couldn't do that with all of them but I think if the rib was radiated or the vertibrate, the issue would be nerve and internal organ damage.  But the chemo, herceptin, tamoxophen and clodronate are working and that is what counts.  :D  Just happy to be here and know that I will get rid of the primary and lymph node tumours soon.  : ) 

OK I am now a part of the commando team.  :D

• terrij152
    terrij152 Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2009
    Options

I had double mx, lat flap reconstruction with TE's placed on 6/18 and found that granny panties were very comfortable for me.  I also wore pajamas that buttoned down the front and also bought several button down shirts for when I had to go out to the doctors or just needed to get out of the house.  I bought the shirts a couple sizes too big so it could hide the drains, they came in handy!

Good luck to you all!

• LeeMcC
    LeeMcC Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2009
    Options

I will be thinking good thoughts for you, transplante, on Sept 3. I'll be away for the weekend, but will watch for a post from you after Labor Day.

Funny about the "commando" thread. It seems everything else is talked about on these threads -- even pooping after surgery -- I just thought it was weird nobody mentioned what kind of undies they wore!

Geez, I turn 48 two weeks after my surgery... if I'm housebound in a button-front granny housecoat wearing granny panties and watching daytime soaps somebody better come shoot me! Nope, I'm gonna be aiming for getting back into my low-cut jeans with a new tummy that doesn't roll over when I sit down ... and bigger boobs! :)

Lee

Lee

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

ROTFLMAO Lee, you will not be an oldie, just a goodie.  I just turned 47 and I didn't watch the soaps, just the gossip shows after my femour surgeries.  Lee, your surgery iis on my mother's birthday 

I will have to think on the grannie panties, I have lots of soft cotton sweats and leisure pants.  They shouldn't chafe.  I have never gone commando and I think I like the idea of being a teenager again.  :D.

It takes me back to skinny dipping.  :D

Thanks Terry for the advice with the experience.  I will think about it.  If I see anything I will keep it in mind.  I was thinking of buying some silky mens pjs at Walmart. I figured they would be cool if I was having another hot flash.  LOL