Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• jujubee
    jujubee Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Lee, I bought some boy short panties two sizes too big.  They are made by Hanes and the waist band is covered in cotton; I thought that might be more comfortable than elastic rubbing on the incision.  My Tram and BMX is 8/25 so I'm getting down to the wire.  My pre-op was yesterday and my doctor prescribed 2 camisoles (my insurance covered thank God $60 each) they have soft velcro under the boobs and come with little pouches for the drains to go into.  The store gave me extra pouches since I'll have 6 drains: 2 in each boob and 2 in the tummy.  The store also told me that they will fit me for bras post op and that insurance will pay for bras for the rest of my life.  Did anyone know that?  Nobody had mentioned that to me.

• Ihavehope
    Ihavehope Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks Jujubee, I will see if walmart sells the hanes boystyle panties you mentions.  Good luck next week on your surgery, I hope you heal quickly and I will be thinking of you. : )

• transplante
    transplante Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2009
    Options

If not commando then a thong! We are all waaaaay too young to be wearing the granny panties!

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

I tried a thong once, and I would rather go commano.  For me, it was so uncomfortable as it felt like a wedgie to me.  :o

I ran out of time today but when I next go back to walmart, I will check for the hanes boyshorts and mens silky pj pants.Laughing

• LeeMcC
    LeeMcC Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thongs ladies ... no pantilines. You get over the strange feeling quickly!

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

ROTFL it makes me thing of the thong song.  I have a pair and if they work better than the hanes boystyle panties then I can use them and buy more if I need to.   No pantylines with commando.  LOL

• transplante
    edited August 2009
    Options
    There are just some places I don't want to floss...Wink
  • Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

CoolI agree, teeth are all I want to floss 

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

I got some boy short briefs to try.  I didn't buy the PJs because I had a thought to buy some of those basketball shorts that would be like capri pants on me that are silky.  :D

• transplante
    edited August 2009
    Options

Ihavehope,

That is a great idea - I never thought of those! My husband has lots and lots of those that I can "borrow."

Thanks!

Ann

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Glad I could contribute a great idea for our surgery.  Laughing
  • transplante
    edited August 2009
    Options

I am on the downhill slide to Thursday's surgery. I have packed everything I can think of and thrown more stuff in for good measuer. I wasn't this prepared when I had my children! Met with some friends for dinner this evening and she gave me a knitted prayer shawl - it will be perfect for keeping around my shoulders at the hospital when/if I have visitors or am cold.

Anyone have any last minute great inspirations for me to add to the pile?

Ann

• LeeMcC
    edited August 2009
    Options

transplante -- Good wishes for Thursday!  I'll be watching to see how you're doing. Mine is Sept 22, and I think I'll be very antsy the week before.  I've already started my shopping.  It sounds like you are all prepared!

Lee

• transplante
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks Lee! My best friend and her husband just took my husband and me on a boat ride where we saw deer, eagles, ospry, and lots of heron. It really helped me relax to be among all of that beauty.

If I can just hang on to this feeling for a few more days I will have it made!

Ann

• Ihavehope
    edited August 2009
    Options

Good luck Transplante.  I just got back from a minivacation in Nashville.  I got a tattoo, my midlife crisis - cheaper than a sports car  :D

I think the shawl is a great idea.  I can't think of anything more.  I will have you in my thoughts on Thursday.  Cool

• LeeMcC
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hey Ihavehope -- Do you have a surgery date yet?  And what kind of tatoo did you get?

Counting down transplante! I'm glad you're calm. I think I'm going to need valium the week before. Kiss

Lee

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hey Lee. I am sure the date is chosen but my plastic surgeons receptionist is a ditz and even if I called I am sure she wouldn't tell me until the day before I have to go see him and he wants to see me a month before the surgery so at that time I will know.  LOL  I just have to be patient.  She made me wait 3 hours to see him and my appt had been 2 1/2 hr earlier, I arrived a half hour before my appt.  I think she double books and then someone has to wait until the lunch hour and I won the short straw.  It is documented on the internet she has her favourites and takes it out on other patients.  I am trying to use this as a lesson in patience. 

I got a thunderbird tatoo.  In  the haida nation it is a bird of strength and medicinal benefits.  It is like a cuff wrapping partially around my wrist and it is very colourful, like jewels on a bracelet.  I will see if I can upload a photo of it for my avatar.  : )

Transplante, I hope the medications they give you keeps the swelling down and the pain at bay. 

• transplante
    edited September 2009
    Options

Cool tat, IhaveHope! love the colors!

Today was my last day at work - my boss hugged me and cried when I left, so if course I had to boo hoo too! But it was really nice to know that I will be missed!

We are driving up to Baltimore tomorrow evening with four friends and splurging on a fancy dinner out (no wine for me unfortunately). We are all staying at a hotel across from the hospital. I have to be there at 8, surgery is at 10. One of our friends is our minister so he will come to pray with me before hand and off I go! Nice to know that there will be folks there with my husband while I am off on my little adventure!

Think good thoughts for me my friends and I will update you as soon as I can!

Ann

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

Good luck tomorrow Ann.  I will be thinking of you.

Thanks for the complement on the tattoo.  : )  I love it.

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I am thinking of you Ann.  Saying many prayers for a great outcome. Wink
  • Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I hope all went well Ann. Cool
  • djincat12
    djincat12 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2009
    Options

HI;

Those are great tips! 

For a laxitive, Papaya or juice will accelerate things so fast, you will be looking to it's antidote in no time! Also, I am using a Dolphin massager. It's too strong for trauma, but if held lightly, it helps. Only precaution here is to have anti-itch cream ready because your waking-up nerves will itch like hell. 

Jennifer, 10 days after rad masectomy.

• djincat12
    djincat12 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2009
    Options

Dear:

You will be fine. Don't fret. I just had mine done, and it's not that big a deal if you have family and friends around you. It's a big hurdle in a womans life, but you are stronger than you know!

Love, Jen

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thanks for the tips Jen.  It sounds like you are over the worst.  I was planning on using vitamin e oil on my incisions as soon as the doctor says I can put something on them (once there is no concern for infection).  I hope that deals with the itching.   and f

As for family and friends, I was kind of hoping to go it alone as I don't want to have to entertain family and friends keep things up.  You know how it is, you have this need inside you to have cookies and tea and a clean clean house and I know I won't be up to it. I just want to heal under my rock for a few weeks.  Embarassed

• transplante
    edited September 2009
    Options

WOWZA it has been a wild couple days! I don't feel horrible - just really uncomortable. And no energy. My swee t husband has been a God send - taking very good care of me. Today I have had a shower, done my physicial theraphy, had breakfast, and stripped the draines, etc and now I am pooped! After a nap, I am going downstairs to sit in the recliner for a while. That will be more than enough I think!

Thanks for all the good thoughts ~Ann

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

OMG Ann, I am shocked you are on the board so quickly.  I hope you heal smoothly and quickly and that the fatigue goes away soon.  I'm so glad things have gone well for you.  Laughing

Cathy

• LeeMcC
    edited September 2009
    Options

Ann -- Good to hear from you! Geez, you are 4 days out of surgery and on this already! When you have the energy, I want details, details! (My DIEP surgery is 2 weeks from tomorrow- Tuesday the 21st.) What's the worst part? What isn't as bad as you'd thought?

Healing good thoughts and prayers your way. Stay positive!

Lee

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

I'll be thinking of you Lee : )

• transplante
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thanks for the continued cheering - YAY all of us!

Thw worst part of the entire thing for me ws the percocet. Turns out I have an "adverse" reaction to it. Like it makes me feel like I am living in a horror movie. Stopped taking that day 5 and am using Tylenol extra strength. MUCH better, for me anyway.

The things I used the most (in no particular order)

my brush - I have short hair but it still felt soooo good when a nurse or sweet husband brushed my hair.

lip balm

pillows for the ride home - I had a 75 mile ride home from Baltimore and had four pillows stuffed around me. I was fine on the way home.

Since I have been home tht things I have used have been

A "grabber" one of those things with a trigger on one end and pincers on the other to grab things that are juuuuust out of reach. And to help pull panties etc up Sealed

hand lotion - my skin is so dry, and the occupational therapist really stressed to me the importance of taking care of our skin. I mean really stressed it. i figured if she was going to be that emphatic about it, I am going to pay heed!

Old neck tie to use as a lanyard to hang my drains on while I shower. Works like a charm

Shower stool and hand held shower nozzle. This has been heaven on earth. I can sit in that chair and use the hand held to wash my hair etc and then change the nozzle to massage to really un-knot my back.

Good luck gals - I know you will all do great!

Ann

• Ihavehope
    edited September 2009
    Options

Thanks Ann.  I have a chair in my shower right now for my broken leg and I still use it out of laziness.  Good to know it will come in handy.  I hadn't thought of lip balm but I usually carry it with me in my purse.  I need to find my cellphone charger.  You are not allowed to use a cellphone around some of the machines but I will take it anyway for just in case.  : )