Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Options

Comments

• cka0706
    cka0706 Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi Ginnie. Welcome to our circle. There's also a "Starting chemo December 2009" thread that you might want to join. It's for all of us beginning the chemo journey the same month. It's under the "Chemotherapy -- Before, During and After" forum. They are keeping a roster of all the December chemo sisters at the top of it. Check it out. I just posted on it so it should be "bumped" and easy for you to find. If not, PM me ("private message") and I'll send you the link.

Cute kids!

Carolyn

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2009
    Options

cka0706  Thanks for the info on the other post.  I just signed up there.  And thanks for the comment on my grandbabies!  They are what is getting me thru this again!!!

• cka0706
    cka0706 Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi Ginnie,

Grandbabies! How wonderful. I'm not quite there yet, though my children are 25 and 18. Some of my friends are entering the grandparent stage. I'm looking forward to it but it will wait a few years :) 

Good luck with treatment. I 'll look for you on the "Holiday Chemo" pages.

Carolyn

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2009
    Options

CU There cka....

Posted this on other post, but probably should be here.....

everyone does know you can get free wig from American Cancer Society?  Can get free knitted and crocheted hats from http://www.hatboxfoundation.org/, and a free scarf from Good Wishes at http://www.franceluxe.com/

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited December 2009
    Options

Bumping for Michlady.

• michlady
    michlady Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2009
    Options

Thank you :)

• navygirl
    navygirl Member Posts: 369
    edited December 2009
    Options

Bumping for those of you just starting....

A shout out to Rock, who was smart enough to put all this in one place for everyone! Thinking of you and hoping things are well ... 

• yjswan
    yjswan Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    Options

Nico--thanks for the tip on claritin.  My next chemo is this coming Monday, followed by neulasta shot on Tues, the 15th.  It really kicked my butt the first round and the nurse warned me it will probably be worse each time.  Had to take Oxycodone for muscle aches.  Will try claritin. God bless.

• Nico1012
    edited December 2009
    Options

Yup, that Rock girl REALLY rocks!! When are you coming anyway?

• michlady
    michlady Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi...I begin my third chemo on Tuesday, yet another "sympton" just appeared.  I seem to have what feels like blisters (but their aren't any...maybe a bit red only)  on the bottom of my feet and my palms.   This just started yesterday ... 10 days AFTER my 2nd chemo.  They were numb until a few days ago, now this.    I was feeling great for the first time otherwise.   I've been diligent about putting cuticle oil and lotion on my feets and hands twice a day, so was surprised when this happened.    It's always got to be something, I guess.....I see that the list mentions "neuropathy"...maybe that's what this is?    I've been using a baby lotion...think Uddly Smooth would make a difference?   Does anyone else experience this?     Any suggestions?

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited December 2009
    Options

michlady -- are you exercising? i had similar problems when i was jumping rope, boxer-style. the AC is really hard on the capillaries.  try to stay off your feet (an exercise bike is good because it reduces pressure on the soles).  wear crocs.  never go barefoot. continue to keep your hands and feet lotioned up.  avoid hot water. (lukewarm or warm is okay).

and ask your doctor if you can take some b6 (i think).

nico -- i am back in the US on dec 28th.  just back from a 12 day, 4200 mile road trip through southern africa. stunning scenery. i highly recommend namibia!

• 5andcounting
    5andcounting Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2009
    Options

I start chemo on December 30th and cannot thank all of you  enough for sharing the tips here.

Rock, I don't know why any of us have to deal with this but you have certainly helped hundreds of us and are a truly remarkable soul. Thank you so very much.

I will have AC(4rounds) followed by T (4 rounds) every two weeks with Neurlasta after each treatment.  I'm scared but determined to finish all this as soon as possible and live my life again.The radiation following the chemo seems like a breeze to me right now.

I had thought I'd buy a treadmill to help me exercise in winter, do you think a stationary bike better? 

• lemonjake
    edited December 2009
    Options

CRS319 -- a stationary bike is not necessarily better.  As soon as i finished chemo, mine became a drying rack!   the best exercise program is the one you'll actually DO, in my opinion.  For me, walking was a godsend, but then again, i lived in NYC and did chemo through the spring and summer months.

thanks for the thanks. but really, this is what women do all the time, right? help each other out.

still hits me RIGHT HERE to think about women starting chemo. it just does.

love, me.

• clellene
    clellene Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi!  I'm new to this list.  I'm IBC triple neg 3b - that makes me kind of an "odd duck out".  So, here is what I want to know.  I have 4 cycles of AC (of which i'm thru the 2nd) followed by 12 treatments of T (taxol).  So, 6 months of chemo prior to surgery. 

I'm so tired.  I seem to "hit the wall" day 4 and went down for 36hrs the first treatment, and 72hrs the 2nd.  Does this seem to be about what everyone experiences?  I heard that the Taxol is a little easier on the system.  What does that mean?  I am struggling to keep my full time job and do it right.  I lost 1 day of work the first round and 2 1/2 the 2nd (thanks to the holiday the first time).  Is there a "regular" reaction of when the wall comes up to strike you down? 

Please let me know what progress you experienced?  I am not just curious, but trying to survive here.

Thanks!

Clellene 

• lemonjake
    edited December 2009
    Options

Clellene: Everyone's experience is different but . . . I feel like my body would rebound each chemo, but over time, it would never rebound to the health/energy I had at the time of the previous chemo.  So it would take more out of me each time to recover, and I would recover less and less each time.  HAVING SAID THAT... I got better about taking care of myself, anticipating my low energy days.  Whereas in teh beginning, a Wednesday AC would leave me starting to sag on Friday night and all day Saturday, by the end, I was wiped out for the whole weekend. I did find Taxol easier in a lot of respects, but I was wiped out.  (It was also summer and the heat didn't help.)

In terms of survival strategies... I learned to  just cut myself as much slack as possible, to be as gentle with myself as I could. (I am single, without children or others to care for.) If you can afford it, this is a good time to arrange to have your laundry done or eat pre-prepared food or take taxis.  (I am not rich, but I told myself that the money I was saving on haircuts could be put toward taxis!)  Treat yourself to things that make you feel good, e.g., nice socks, a warm hat, a hot water bottle, nice herbal teas.

I was in decent health going into treatment. I walked 5 days out of 7 in most weeks. I think it helped me retain some strength and stamina (and spirits) and made recovery easier.  So, if you can, go for a walk.  It doesn't have to be a power-walk. Just some movement to get those chemo chemicals metabolised, to hang on to some muscle and some energy.

But above all, be kind to yourself.  let friends and family know what you need. They might not be able to give it to you, but you need to tell them what you need (e.g., a lift, company, someone to run an errand.)  The fatigue can really do a number on the mood.

I also have a theory -- JUST MY THEORY -- that those two years before I was diagnosed when I was feeling so tired all the time, my body was probably trying to fight off the cancer.  So it is completely understandable that you are tired, in my mind, even without the chemo.

For what it's worth, I finished radiation at the end of October 2008.  It is now over a year later and I am living in Cape Town, South Africa. I just spent a long wonderful day with my girlfriends, listening to music and having a nice dinner.  My point is:  The chemo will (hopefully) end.  You will not always feel like this. 

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but know that you are in my thoughts. 

xoxo rock

• clellene
    clellene Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2009
    Options

Thank you for a kind and thoughtful response.  So, to be clear, there is no "wall" with taxol like there is with AC?  I feel it is ok to hit the wall, it is just proving to me that the chemo is doing it's job.  I plan on laying down and vegetating until my brain clears. 

I think maybe the exercise is a key.  But, after Christmas shopping yesterday, I was completely fagged.  It took 3 tries to get all the gifts into boxes, and several hours.  But, today, I was able to completely wrap all the gifts..  Hooray!  Dont get me wrong, it was only about 20 boxes and stuff like socks and underwear...  (a couple of better gifts) 

I used to be a Scout leader and sitting still just annoys me.  I miss being able to work on the Christmas tree lot, and go rock climbing and hiking.  Thank GOD for my family and friends.  I have cried more because of unexpected kindness than because of my own situation since diagnosis.  I am so blessed with the good people in my life.  I am trying to allow helpfulness of others whenever possible.  I'm just tired. 

I suppose I will be in better shape tomorrow.  I will try to exercise and will take the pug for a walk with his new Santa suit.  If nothing else, it makes me laugh!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2009
    Options

Bumping for the Jan. 2010 chemo starters.

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited December 2009
    Options

Bumping.

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi, Nico!

otter 

• lemonjake
    edited December 2009
    Options

Merry BUMP Christmas. and a Happy BUMP New Year.

PS Cl:  I don't remember a wall, but by that point in treatment, I seem to recall feeling like I was constantly trying to climb a wall pretty much every day!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2009
    Options

Love to BUMP! Especially a thread that is SO important. For this we can thank Rock. And we do. THANK YOU ROCK!

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited December 2009
    Options

Bumping it up for the January 2010 group.

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited December 2009
    Options

Bumping for TeriJo.

• BooBee
    BooBee Member Posts: 288
    edited January 2010
    Options

Bumping in honor of Nico, our gatekeeper extraordinaire.  You are awesome.

• Nico1012
    edited January 2010
    Options

You are so sweet! Love your avatar. My DGD plays soccer for O,  GO DUCKS!

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited January 2010
    Options

Bump, bump, bump.

• lemonjake
    edited January 2010
    Options

And a bip, shedoobop, bip bap bop!

• BooBee
    BooBee Member Posts: 288
    edited January 2010
    Options

Nico....I have a couple of campus rentals and my favorite tenants are athletic girls.  I've had socker players and last year I rented to a few girls on the track team.  They're the best.  Focused and they don't take crap from guys.  Guys, on the other hand, are a nightmare.

Keep me in mind if she needs a rental.Yell

• Nico1012
    edited January 2010
    Options

Will do Renee.

Nico

• KAJDerby
    KAJDerby Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2010
    Options

I have to say that this has been one of my most valuable threads for preplanning.  Got my port last Tuesday, start chemo on the 20th.  I printed this post out and then put everything in a special basket and used a label maker to put the directions on the caps for ease in use.  I also have my little chemo bag that I can move from my "Hope Bag" to my nightstand.  Thank you for this wonderful resource!!!!