Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Options

Comments

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited October 2009
    Options

Oh, thank you. I needed to hear that today. I won't lie, I did. xoxoxxo

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited October 2009
    Options

Hey Rock!

When are you coming home? It feels strange somehow to know that you're so far away.

Miss your posts.

Nico

• lemonjake
    edited October 2009
    Options

At the end of December.  I really don't want to leave, to be honest. I feel a little guilty about that.  I think a big part of me wants to separate myself completely from my life before cancer.  I know that is not healthy but I have enjoyed so much moving to the other side of the world where I didn't know a soul (except a wonderful woman who I met via these boards!).  (Are you on Facebook, by any chance? I do a lot more updating there.)

xoxoxo 

• BooBee
    BooBee Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2009
    Options

For those of us "Pleasingly Plump" ladies

Trade your stylish, binding underwear for 100% cotton during chemo and change them often. Many women suffer from chaffing and an adult form of diaper rash. I turned my underwear inside out to protect my skin from the seams. Hanes for women makes the best underwear I could find for chemo. Buy one size too big and make sure the leg ribbing is also cotton. It also helps to use diaper rash cream or Vaseline as a moisture barrier at all times. Use this externally only. You don't want to contribute to a yeast infection.

Vaginal dryness can lead to pain and discomfort durring intercourse. A water based lubricant is recommended. My Onco said......To prevent possible introdution of bacteria you should also use condoms durring the days your white blood count is low.

• meggybb
    meggybb Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    Options

Thanks for your help Rock.  I just had my last A/C Friday.  My first two went pretty smooth but the 3rd took its toll on me.  According to my doc, just like you, my power walks pushed the chemo through my feet.  My hands look horrible too even though I have been slathering them with Aquaphor.  Doc is promising me all will be better in a few weeks.  I bought some new crocs and they are a blessing right now!  I start Taxol in 3 weeks so I plan to live in them.  I read on another thread that wearing cold mittens and booties during Taxol will help with neuropathy.  Any thoughts on this?  I did go buy L-Glutamine and Vit.B6 in preparation and I will be ordering the Utterly Smooth.

Thanks again for all your advise.  I have now got all the other annoyances under control.  Oh, and I chewed ice all through A/C last time and used the Biotene.  NO THRUSH this time!!! 

Meggybb

• lemonjake
    edited November 2009
    Options

Go, you, Meggybb.  GO YOU.  You keep pushing on and looking after yourself. It is good to keep moving. It is also good to know when to rest and be extra-gentle with yourself. 
    I gotta say though, it still hits me RIGHT HERE when I think how many women are going through this...  I have never known I could feel such empathy and love for complete strangers. 

Keep on keeping on.

• lemonjake
    edited November 2009
    Options
    bump for nico. how are you, nico?!Kiss
  • Nico1012
    edited November 2009
    Options

Bump for Rock. I'm still rockin' on! How are you?

• Nico1012
    edited November 2009
    Options

Bump.

• lemonjake
    edited November 2009
    Options

Bumping great, Nico. xoxoxo

• Sally2009
    Sally2009 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    Options

Thank-you to everyone brave enough to fight the fight, share experiences and add some humor into this process.

• Nico1012
    edited November 2009
    Options

Sally2009 ~ Welcome to the club that no one wants to join. Keep checking back to this thread for updates, it saved me when I went through chemo!

Meggybb ~ I used the ice on my hands and feet through each infusion and have NO NEUROPATHY!  The Udderly cream also saved my hands and feet from the awful red scourge.

THANK YOU ROCK for the Crocs advice, I still live in them.

"Keep on keeping on", Oh Rock. I'm so thankful that I "met" you!

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited November 2009
    Options

Bump

• cka0706
    cka0706 Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi everyone. Great tips and ideas here. I start chemo on Tuesday 12/1 (TC x4 every 3 weeks). 

I have two questions. First -- should I bring some food with me. I was told the infusion takes 2-1/2 to 3 hours. I know I'll get hungry during that time but not sure what to bring (other than saltines, which I really don't like). Any ideas?

Second -- is anyone else allowed in the treatment room with you? My dear friend offered to stay with me and I loved the idea. (Some people I wouldn't allow in the treatment room ever - too negative!). 

Would love your thoughts on this.

Carolyn

• lemonjake
    edited November 2009
    Options

Depends on the centre, but "mine" (MSKCC) often ran late.  I advise steering clear of cheese (constipation can be a problem).  Fiber (e.g., nuts, fruit) is not a bad idea.  In the early chemos, a sandwich appealed to me. Bring whatever you think you might like and then see what happens, would be my advice.  I stocked up on crackers etc. and then never even touched them.

Re: company.  Again, depends on the centre. (Why not call them and find out? It can go a long way to helping you prepare for the Big Day)  But a good friend can make the time pass. I rotated among pairs of friends for the A/C.  (That way, they could entertain themselves while I saw the onco, spaced out, etc.)  But on Taxol, the infusion was too long and I was too out of it to want company. That was just me, though.

I wish you all the best, Carolyn. 

And Nico, I STILL wear my Crocs (even though I look like a complete tool on them. There is nothing better for painful feet!).  I am very happy to have met you, too.  Big big big hug.

• cka0706
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi Rock. Thanks for the feedback. I am planning to check with the center but wanted input from my chemo classmates. I realized that some people I would not want with me while others would be fun and helpful.

I think I'll just pack a variety of snacks and see what appeals to me. Fear of the unknown is not fun but I'm taking one day at a time. 

BTW -- your name says nyc/cape town. We have a wonderful friend in SA and still hope to get there someday.

Carolyn

• Nico1012
    edited November 2009
    Options

Bumping for our December chemo sisters.

• bf2009
    bf2009 Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2009
    Options

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooo MUCH for that list :)

was wondering??? since I'm getting chemo for : they say 18 weeks, will my hair not begin to grow back until after all the chemo is over? Due then to get rads... will that make any new growth fall out again? Just don't know when to expect to be getting back some hair !

thanks

• Nico1012
    edited November 2009
    Options

bf2009 ~ The credit goes to our  wonderful Rock, she's the rockstar who merged all the other lists and gave us this goldmine of information.  Some of the gals here have reported hair growth returning towards the end of chemo. I think it's an individual thing. Mine started to grow during rads a year ago and is now 6 inches long, thick and very curly. It may seem like it's taking forever, but grow it will! Wishing you all the best.

Nico

• BooBee
    BooBee Member Posts: 288
    edited December 2009
    Options

ThreeLollies.com  I found this product while researching products used in other countries.  This is widely popular in the UK and mentioned in several different cancer forums there.  It's marketed as a morning sickness remedy and an aid to provide relieve from a queasy stomach associated with chemo treatment.  It comes in drops as well as sucker form.  This company has generously offered us 10% discount with the coupon code ChemoSolutions.

(Again, I'm not benefiting financially from this.)

• Nico1012
    edited December 2009
    Options

Renee S ~ Thank you for this info! Natural products are always a nice switch from the conventional anti-nausea treatments. I used candy drops called "Gin-Gins" during chemo Available at Whole Foods and they helped a lot. Ginger tea is also great and it even seemed to help alleviate the bronchitis symptoms I got with each chemo. LOVE to get new tips here, keep 'em coming!

Nico

• yjswan
    yjswan Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi--new to site

I just had my first chemo today and apart from not being able to sleep well, I am having a terrible time with temp control--I'm 57 and was on estrogen patch, post hysterectomy.  With breast cancer, no more patch.  I also have hypothyroidism and take levoxyl.  All I know is one minute, I'm sweating something fierce, then the next, I'm freezing with chills.  Worse today after chemo.  Any thoughts?

PS  Thank you, Rock and others, for all your helpful advice and tips!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2009
    Options

yjswan ~ you might want to call your endocrinologist or even your onc and tell them about these symptoms. It sounds like you are running a temp. Remember, FLUIDS! FLUIDS! FLUIDS! You may be dehydrated and even need some IV fluid replacement. It really can't be stressed strongly enough how important fluids are! Please let us know how you you're doing as you progress through tx. And, QUICKLY go get something to drink!

Nico

• lemonjake
    edited December 2009
    Options

YJSWAN:  "What Nico said."  Especially the "call an onco doctor" and "fluids" part.  This is not the time to gut things out and assume they will get better on their own. That is how I ended up with severely constipated with bleeding 'roids, my friends!   (And trust me, you do NOT want to wait until a Friday to try to reach a doctor....)

Sending my love out to all of you who have the misfortune to be bald during the cold winter months.  Bleah.  I didn't enjoy having my newly drawn on eyebrows sweating off during the summer (always an attractive look) but at least I wasn't freezing.

xoxox nico xoxoxoxo

• Melykfarm
    Melykfarm Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2009
    Options

Geez you just answered every question I had.. Holy cow. .I am going Friday to find out my chemo cocktail.  Will get my hair cut next week, as I have very long Red hair.  Just ordered my "red" wig..

• cka0706
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi everyone. I made it throught my first chemo yesterday. My dear friend drove 2 hours to sit with me. I fell asleep after the first hour but she was smart enough to bring her laptop and work while I snoozed. We went out to lunch afterwards. It's good to have such caring friends.

Chemo brain hit hard and fast. I couldn't remember some pretty routine stuff and I can't type at all anymore. Plus I'm so hyper from the steroids. Weird. I got a Neulasta shot today (hurt like crazy) and I'm not looking forward to bone pain, but I've had 2 nasty infections this year that landed me in the hospital so the onc isn't taking any chances. 

My biggest accomplishment today is buying a wig. I put that off because I didn't want to think about losing my hair. I think next week I'll get a short cut (my hair is shoulder length). I asked my 25-year-old son if he wants to give me the buzz cut when I'm ready for it. I told him the decision was his but he thought that was pretty cool.

I love the tips and I re-read them now that they're more specific to my needs. So thanks for sharing them! I definitely want to find the Gin-gin drops at Whole Foods. Dry mouth is a problem.

Good wishes to my chemo sisters!

Carolyn

• lemonjake
    edited December 2009
    Options

Carolyn and everyone, if you haven't already, check out the chemo group of women who started chemo about the same time as you.  (My group is May 2008, for instance.)  To say these women were an invaluable source of support is the understatement of the year! It was SO incredibly helpful to compare notes on not only side effects, but coping strategies.  And don't feel like it is too late to join a group if you started chemo awhile ago! 

Thus concludes my two cents for the day.

Congrats, Carolyn, are clearing the first one!

• yjswan
    yjswan Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    Options

Thanks Nico and Rock for your input.  But, I'm not running a fever and have been pushing fluids.  I have also mentioned it to my oncologist, her NP, my surgeon, his NP, and no one has been alarmed.  Was put on Ativan and Oxycodone yesterday after horrible achiness and anxiety following neulasta (sp?) shot.  Feeling better, but still can't sleep for more than 1-2 hours at a time.

• Nico1012
    edited December 2009
    Options

yjswan ~ Many ladies on these boards have gotten relief from the Neulasta shots by taking Claritin. PLAIN Claritin not Claritin D. The achiness is supposedly an allergic reaction and Claritin being an anti-histamine helps block the allergic response. The insomnia is probably from the steroids. On the highest dose of steroids I had 3 days go by with NO sleep for me! They will wear off in a few days. As for your other se's, gosh, maybe that is just your bodies reaction to the chemo. Be sure to keep the fluids flowing. The faster you flush out the chemo, the faster you will feel better.

Nico

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2009
    Options

cka0706 - I start on the 10th  - 4 x TC every 3 weeks too.  I will be checking to see how it is going for you...kinda get "preview" for myself.  Good luck to all here!!!