Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Options

Comments

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited January 2010
    Options

Thank you for the kind words, Grace and I'm sure all of the authors and contributors here really appreciate it. It sounds like you are good-to-go with all of the prep you've done. Remember the mantra.............. FLUIDS FLUIDS FLUIDS.......... this can't be over-stated! Really, it makes a gynormous difference. Best of luck to you in your tx.

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited January 2010
    Options

Bumping along for the Feb 2010 chemo starters.

Hey Rock!

Nico1012

• Nico1012
    edited February 2010
    Options

Bump.

• KAJDerby
    KAJDerby Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2010
    Options

Nico1012 - I drank so much water!  It really helped.  The first day I was the sickest, but I just kept sipping.  Every time I rolled over, I took a sip.  My doctor came in while I was getting the chemo and saw my 2 bottles of water, 1 completely finished, and told me I was a good patient.  Made me chuckle!  My chemo basket and bag were wonderful and reallyhelped! 

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited February 2010
    Options
    NiBUMPco!
  • Nico1012
    edited February 2010
    Options

Funny Rock! Funny Funny Rock! Funny Funny Funny Rock Rock!!

And it's only the first day of being house-bound by the blizzard.

Nico

• Ezscriiibe
    Ezscriiibe Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2010
    Options

This is an awesome thread. If there were no other reason to come to visit this site, this thread alone would be the one to bring you here!

I have a question, that may have been answered in some of the previous pages, but I can't dig through them right now.

I have some Protein powder supplements that I used after some surgery I had done this past summer. They provide 20 grams of protein with each drink. I generally make a smoothie out of them (the powder + ice + a banana + splash of milk).

Would something like this be okay during chemo to help get protein throughout the day?

• michlady
    michlady Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2010
    Options

I've been told it is okay to drink protein smoothies with whey (for me...limited soy products).  

• misty09045
    misty09045 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Options

Wish I had this list before my first chemo, but, I'm getting ready to go for #2, and I sure will be thinking of things differently now! I am actually on my way out to get last minute things for Super Bowl supper, and am going to stock up on some chemo essentials! Thanks for this post! It sure does help having other people to help get through the rough spots!

LOVE TO ALL

• Nico1012
    edited February 2010
    Options

It can't be said often enough . . . .  THANK YOU ROCK!!!    

Nico

• lemonjake
    edited February 2010
    Options

I think we're all pretty d*mned amazing. And Nico, without your bumping, where would we be?

Honest, people. I have been going through kind of a rough patch.  Nothing serious, nothing even direclty cancer-related.  Feeling like the experience of chemo didn't begin and end with me, that we can all learn from others' experiences, support each other... that we're NOT in this alone... it means a lot.

Stephanie, whenever I see someone like you whose third post was to this thread, it makes me really proud. It also breaks my heart a little.  You take care of yourself.   Know that people you have never met, will probably never meet, are thinking of you tonight, and wishing you well.

xo rock

• lemonjake
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Happy Valentine's Day to Nico and to everyone.  We might be missing other parts of our bodies, but we stil got lots of heart. xo rockKiss
  • Nico1012
    edited February 2010
    Options

Thanks Rock. And another BUMP.

• Nico1012
    edited February 2010
    Options

Bumping.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2010
    Options

Thanks for this list Rock. 

I would like to add a different perspective on chemo which I think might be helpful.  I came into this whole experience being very fit and participating in cycling and skiing endurance events last year so view chemo as a five month endurance event.

The only way you can do something like a double century (two days of 100 miles on a bicycle, back to back) is to carefully manage energy.  I have done the same throughout a very brutal chemo regimen (AC + T) once every 2 weeks.

The two things that have helped most in this respect:

1) eating a lot of protein early in the day to forestall energy crashes.  Was particularly important with AC.  For me this is usually yogurt or eggs.

2) exercise every day, no matter how dragging I am.  Walking is a godsend and gets me out of the house.  So important for the senses as well as for the weight bearing exercise benefit.  I do a minimum of a mile daily.  I have been cycling on weekends, even with depressed cardio function.

I also do a routing of weights/crunches which my oncology team signed off on.  Not sure they signed off on the cycling in the rain part though!

When I was preparing for chemo, I came upon the work of Anna Schwartz who studied patients who walked 30 minutes a day vs usual care patients.  Bone loss was 2% for the exercisers vs 8% for the usual care crowd.  You didn't have to tell me twice to get out there and walk.

Other benefits for me have been much deeper sleep, minimal depression, feeling in contact with the world, able to carry out normal activities.

One thing about the list is to have it handy, but not to assume you will need all these things.  I am saying this because I have eaten only FOUR of the prunes I bought to prep for surgery.  So I will need to whip up a large batch of prune something or other.

Also expect odd food cravings.  Towards the end of AC, I didn't want red meat and craved salty foods.  So just switched my protein sources.  Eggs were a godsend.  (I buy organic ones as regular store ones taste like sulphur to me.)

I ate tons of fruits and vegetables to keep my digestion on track, and I think it helped.  Pears were one of the things that helped the most.  Took a probiotic daily and also ate tons of yogurt.  Because I was taking Neulasta, I didn't have to worry particularly about infections so ate normal, not processed, food.  Lots of cheese too.

One final thing I would mention is to tell your well-meaning friends and family who are headed you way with casseroles and baked goods is that most chemo patients gain, not lose weight these days.  My neighbor has been feeding me stuff like grilled fish and vegetables. 

So the idea is to have them pick up a bag of pears, not a cake!  Will help big time. And invite them to take a walk with you.  Just so wonderful when my friend Amanda went cycling together.  Felt absolutely normal....even if we both got soaked to the skin. - Claire

• Nico1012
    edited February 2010
    Options

Thank you Claire for the great advice!

"Other benefits for me have been much deeper sleep, minimal depression, feeling in contact with the world, able to carry out normal activities."

I'm putting on my walkin' shoes as I type this!

Nico

• frosty1
    frosty1 Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2010
    Options

A friend of mine had a niece that went through chemo and her onc center gave her a great cookbook.  He liked it so much he went out and bought one.  I just picked one up as well -- Betty Crocker Living with Cancer Cookbook.  It is written with the help of doctors and gives you ideas and recipes for dealing with sore mouth, nauseau, bone pain, what to eat when you don't want to eat.  Great resource.  I highly recommend it.

And thank you so much for creating this thread.  Had my port put in on Thursday and start chemo on Wednesday.  I have my list of questions for my doc and my bag packed.  Thank you!

• lilacsandoldlace
    lilacsandoldlace Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Options

Wow, great advice!!!!  I went thru AC 11 years ago and will be doing TC this time around.  They SAY it's not quite as bad!!!  Will be starting next week.  Time to be looking like Uncle Fester again!  lol

• Nico1012
    edited March 2010
    Options

Bumping for the March chemo starters.

• Nico1012
    edited March 2010
    Options

Bumpo

• Nico1012
    edited March 2010
    Options

Le Bump

• Terry731
    Terry731 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    Options

Hey ladies! I am new to this website and had no idea what a chemo bag was! How clever! I had my surgery in Feb and s/b starting on April 1st (no joke!) and this info will be so helpful! Confused but very anxious to start (and finish!). My question is: if you can't take vitamins during chemo treatment, how do you keep your energy level up to the point where you CAN take a walk? I don't have enough energy NOW, and I havent started yet!

• michlady
    michlady Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2010
    Options

Check with your oncologist, but mine wanted me to take a daily multi-vitamin as well as a Vitamin D supplement.  

• lemonjake
    edited March 2010
    Options

Bimp.

• Nico1012
    edited March 2010
    Options

I LOVE BIMPS!

• Nico1012
    edited April 2010
    Options

Bumping for the April chemo starters.

• Nico1012
    edited April 2010
    Options

Bump.

• Nico1012
    edited April 2010
    Options

Bump again.

• Nico1012
    edited April 2010
    Options

Bumpity!

• mom2Bnegativex3
    mom2Bnegativex3 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2010
    Options

eye drops! The reason why our eyes water on Chemo is cause they are to dry. I got some samples from my eye doc and he gave me some great samples with and without preservitives. They start with an O and it is very popular. My eyes got so bad they were crusted over every morning. Now not more!! good luck!