Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,101
    edited April 2019
    Options

Bumping again for all the newbies. Such GREAT information

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited May 2019
    Options

Bumping for Charlene . . .

• erin_t
    erin_t Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2019
    Options

I have a tip for those new to constipation, or medications that cause it. If you're taking anti nausea medicine, take colace that day and keep taking it. I took it for the week following my AC treatments.

See, being a vegetarian and previously healthy, i didn't have hardly any experience of what constipation feels like. I didn't recognize it for what it was at first.

So don't suffer like me. Take the colace.

• minustwo
    edited May 2019
    Options

All of my docs recommended Colace and or Sennacot S if the former isn't enough. Especially after anesthesia or if you're taking pain killers. There's great thread about constipation that isn't really active but I'll find it and post the link

Here is the Constipation thread link

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/...

• Nico1012
    edited June 2019
    Options

Bumping for Vicki . . .

• minustwo
    edited June 2019
    Options

Good going Nico. I just copied the link to another thread, as I usually do. Guess I should bump at the same time to keep this more active.

• minustwo
    edited June 2019
    Options

Bumping for Beve

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi All,

My best friend is on treatment 6 of 8 and has developed a dry cough from the chemo. Does anyone have any suggestions on what she can do to relieve these symptoms

• Nico1012
    edited June 2019
    Options

Butterfly1234 ~ One of the products I used during chemo was Biotene spray. It really helped to relieve the dryness in my mouth and throat and lessened the coughing.

• Nico1012
    edited July 2019
    Options

Bumping for Stacie . . .

• minustwo
    edited July 2019
    Options

Doubling down. I often just copy this thread for people who are new, but you are so great about keeping it active, Nico. Thanks

• Melmax
    Melmax Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2019
    Options

ACT for dry mouth lozenges- a friend found them for meat Walgreens in a blue box.

• minustwo
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thanks Melmax. I'll post again to keep this going and I know Nico will hit it up later in the month.

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi all!

This list helped me immensely during chemo, so I thought I'd pay it forward with a few tips of my own now that I'm almost five months out from my last treatment.

First and foremost because I wish I had found it much much earlier is this bra from True & Co. It is completely wireless, so light and comfortable while being very supportive (I usually wear 36B or 34C, so the medium is perfect in this bra), but the best thing is that it doesn't irritate the skin at all over the port because it just stays in place. I had such problems with bra straps and fabric in general rubbing or just brushing against that very sensitive area, but now that I found this bra, I am so happy! Of course, my port comes out in less than a month after I found it. Oh well, but I'll keep wearing it because it is SOOO comfortable. I've already purchased 4 of them! Also, my physical therapist thought it was great and has already recommended it to other patients.

But here's the website: https://trueandco.com/bras/wireless/true-body-v-neck-bra/dulce

And I think this link will take you to a promotional offer of $15 off your first purchase. https://www.talkable.com/x/qy6QtR

Second, you will see lots of recommendations for various products, but there are two that really made me feel best about myself during chemo and while my hair was growing out. For those of you who will be going through chemo in the cooler and colder months and have decided not to "wig out," I highly recommend a style of cap known as the slouchy beanie. It is very comfortable, comes in multitudes of colors, fabrics, prices, and styles, so you can wear them for any occasion, casual to formal, and the best thing is that they don't scream "chemo!" In fact, it took me a while to find them because they aren't often advertised as being appropriate for those undergoing chemotherapy. When I got tired of seeing what was available when I searched for "chemo" headwear, I branched out a bit and found these. I'll be wearing them again even with hair once fall and winter come around. And here is an example of one of my favorites, and you get two for $12! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M05LZXY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other product type I would recommend is an eyebrow kit that allows you to essentially create your own eyebrows that look very natural just with a little makeup, mostly an eyshadow type powder or gel and an eyeliner type pencil. Here is an article that gives you some ideas for what's out there now. https://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/tips/g8723/best-eyebrow-shaping-products/

Granted, these things are more for outward appearances, but they are relatively inexpensive - unless you get in a buying frenzy like I did with those beanies! - and can make a big difference in making you feel normal - at least on the outisde. It may have been an illusion, but with my beanies and my eyebrows, I believe that it was extremely hard for the random person on the street or in my office building to tell I had lost my hair at all. I just looked like a normal person, which really helped during those days when I certainly didn't often feel like one.

Best of luck to everyone starting on their chemo ride. It's up, it's down, it's all around. A lot like an amusement park ride, and you won't want to ride it again, but you'll be able to say you did it and be proud.

Anne

• Nico1012
    edited August 2019
    Options

PiperKay ~ THANK YOU so much for your post! These are great tips!

• minustwo
    edited August 2019
    Options

Glad to see new ideas.

• Nico1012
    edited August 2019
    Options

Bumping for Gwen . . .

• Nico1012
    edited September 2019
    Options

Bumping for Roberta . . .

• Nico1012
    edited October 2019
    Options

Bumping for Jill . . .

• minustwo
    edited October 2019
    Options

Bumping for Chickadee

• Vicki3
    Vicki3 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2019
    Options

PiperKay—Thank You for the post of amazing tips! I am a newbie here and have just completed my first of four Chemo infusions. Well, actually, I completed it on 10/17 and have been pretty sick until now. Thanks to all the information on this site, I think I have a good understanding of hair loss, products to purchase and even the mouthwash recipe to use if needed.

You are all great and I am glad I found this special place! I feel less alone now.

Thank you all for that.

• Nico1012
    edited November 2019
    Options

Bumping for Doris . . .

• Cutie
    Cutie Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2019
    Options
  • minustwo
    edited November 2019
    Options

bumping for Chelsea

Fantastic information everyone

• chelsea1
    chelsea1 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2019
    Options

MinusTwo, you're wonderful. So appreciate your thoughtfulness. I am so happy I found this site!

• minustwo
    edited November 2019
    Options

Chelsea - glad you found it. I really should remember to bump it more regularly. Nico has been good about doing that.

• cathywh59
    cathywh59 Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2019
    Options

what is this bump stuff? I’m a newbie to this

• minustwo
    edited November 2019
    Options

Cathy - it 'bumps' a thread that is otherwise not very active to the "active" thread. Many people check active threads without searching further in this site.

Sorry you had to join us but hope you will find helpful information.

• cathywh59
    cathywh59 Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2019
    Options

Thank you!

• Nico1012
    edited November 2019
    Options

Bumping for Brianna . . .