Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,101
    edited May 2020
    Options

A173 - thanks for your input.

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited May 2020
    Options

Bumping . . .

• Nico1012
    edited June 2020
    Options

bumping for Mary . . .

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited June 2020
    Options

bumping with love

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

So I'll bump too just to keep this active

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited June 2020
    Options

I just ran across a recipe that a dear friend made for me when I was initially diagnosed and going through chemo the 1st time. I remember it as one of the most thoughtful gifts during chemo. In her memory, I wanted to share these 2 recipes for chemo popsicles. Tofu provides protein when nothing tastes good. Just blend and fill popsicle molds.

MANGO-ORANGE: 4 oz orange juice, 8 oz mango pulp, 4 oz soft tofu, 1 Tbl honey

RASPBERRY-BANANA: 4 oz raspberries, 1 banana, 4 oz orange juice, 4 oz soft tofu

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

nopink - great recipes. Thanks for sharing. Something cold in my mouth always felt good.

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

bumping

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

And since the threads are moving so fast this afternoon - bumping again.

• IsMe
    IsMe Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2020
    Options

hi

I have questions... if is better to exercise daily, but only shower hair once or twice week, will it cause more oil at scalp? When we should reduce washing hair after first chemo? I am using cool cap

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

I washed my hair once or twice a week until it started falling out not long after the 2nd infusion. Sorry, I didn't cold cap so I can't speak to that. If you're preparing for chemo, you should probably join the June chemo thread. Or even the May chemo thread. Either of those should have someone who knows.

Do go to 'my profile' and put in your diagnosis & treatment plans to date so people responding will be able to give better answers.

• Nico1012
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thank You ~ MinusTwo ~ for keeping this thread so active!

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

Nico - no, thank YOU. There are so many good tips that I hope can help some newbies.

• minustwo
    edited July 2020
    Options

Bumping for Iamloved

• minustwo
    edited July 2020
    Options

Bumping just because there's so much good information

• Nico1012
    edited July 2020
    Options

Bumping for Sheila . . .

• IsMe
    edited July 2020
    Options

what is the best advice to reduce diarrhoea? I had tworound chemo done and diarrhoea is the one if the main SE, it will thn cause fever if I didn't manage well.., now plan to plan ahead remedy for round 3..

• minustwo
    edited July 2020
    Options

IsMe - If you read through even just the header of this thread, you will have seen this:

Diarrhea
    • Imodium is good for stopping this
    • Key worry is dehydration, so keep drinking water!
    • Stay away from sugary things, as refined sugar can aggravate diarrhea
    • From a dietary perspective, you can try the BRAT diet: Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Toast

The main danger is that you will be come dehydrated. I actually went in to the infusion center and had a full bag of saline infused in between each 3 week chemo treatment. I went on a BRAT diet - (see below). You can add plain boiled potatoes or plain crackers. If it got really bad, I took Imodium a couple of times - WITH the approval of my doctor. Do talk to your docs first since the addition of any drugs should be discussed & approved. It always stopped after the first week of 10 days. Edited to say - I still lost 60 pounds that I didn't need to lose.

The BRAT diet is a bland-food diet that is often recommended for adults and children. BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce andToast. The BRAT diet can help you recover from an upset stomach or diarrhea for the following reasons: It includes "binding" foods.

• minustwo
    edited July 2020
    Options

IsMe - there's lots of discussion about diarrhea among those currently in chemo. Here's the link to July2020 chemo thread. I found it very useful to read & discuss what was happening with others at the same point in time. I also went back & read the month before.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics...

• IsMe
    edited July 2020
    Options

MinusTwo-

Thanks. Yes I read about these info. Took immodium, drink water and BRAT. And I practice all. I am just wondering if we know if it will happen on let’s say Day 4 after the infusion, are we able to reduce it if we do something ahead like one day 2 and 3 onward and it will help to reduce the quantity or frequency of diarrhea? Trying to figure out anyways to pre-plan so this will be less impact

• minustwo
    edited July 2020
    Options

IsMe - check out the July 2020 Chemo link. It's good to compare with others currently going through the same things. And ask your doc what he will approve.

• IsMe
    edited July 2020
    Options

MinusTwo-

Yes I will read from there as well. So far practicing few tips from this thread help me reduce alot of SE. Just for this diarrhea part seem only have steps to stop (Imodium etc) when it happen but we do not have steps to preplan ahead to reduce the impact. Will try out possible ways and ifit work for my round 3, I will share here as well

• minustwo
    edited July 2020
    Options

bumping for Melbo

• Nico1012
    edited August 2020
    Options

Thank You, MinusTwo, for your dedication to this important thread!

• Nico1012
    edited September 2020
    Options

Bumping for Carol . . .

• minustwo
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hey Nico - Yes - this thread has sooooo much good information. I wouldn't have made it through without many of these tips.

Sorry I forgot to bump last month to keep it active on the list for the new member. Maybe I'll remember twice in September.

• minustwo
    edited September 2020
    Options

Bumping for Sara

• minustwo
    edited September 2020
    Options

Bumping again to keep active and for Denise.

• minustwo
    edited September 2020
    Options

Bumping yet again to keep the thread active. SO many good tips.

• minustwo
    edited September 2020
    Options

Go for two days in a row? FIghtingMama found the surgery thread useful. So maybe this one too?