Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,101
    edited November 2021
    Options

Mallow - we're talking reconstruction implants. They are no longer available.

If you go to 'my profile' at the top, you can add your diagnosis & treatment to date so we can make more sensible answers. You have to choose "make it public" for it to print under you posts.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021
    Options

Bumping again

• minustwo
    edited December 2021
    Options

For those getting ready to start chemo - or even those who have already started & want to update ideas.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021
    Options

Bumping for the new year.

• Blinx
    Blinx Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2022
    Options

This whole list and thread is great! A few weeks before chemo started I stopped by the drugstore and foodstore (loving the curbside pickup option!) and stocked up on a lot of things I didn't have. Even if I never use some of them, I have peace of mind knowing that they're on hand and I don't have to run out to get them when I'm feeling at my worst (I live alone).

I've only had 1 infusion so far, with mostly good days. I put a lot of the supplies along with some food into a tote bag and take it with me from room to room (and up to bed). If I'm parked on the sofa and really don't feel like moving, it's handy having applesauce and a few crackers right there, and then I go back to napping. I'm seeing a dietician next week and will get her input for nutritious/protein-rich foods for when I just don't feel like eating.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022
    Options

Bumping this topic for the new year.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022
    Options

Bumping again for a 'nail' question

• minustwo
    edited February 2022
    Options

Since someone ask about the surgery thread today, thought I'd go ahead & bump the chemo thread too.

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    edited May 2022
    Options

This is a great list! I used it heavily to fpget ready for my first session today.

• minustwo
    edited May 2022
    Options

Glad you found it SarahMaude. Several of us used to try to bump both this and the surgery thread on a regular basis. Unfortunately with the BCO platform changes, it's too difficult & too takes too long to find & participate in many of the valuable threads.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,019
    edited May 2022
    Options

We are glad you found it too, SarahMaude. Hope your session went well today. Please keep us posted. Medicating

• sarahmaude
    edited May 2022
    Options

It went well yesterday! I'm so glad that I was prepared, both mentally and supply wise

I had all my cold capping kit ready, and that was great. At home, I have Biotene mouthwash and spray which has been amazing for dry mouth (likely from steroids this soon).

Here are some of the other items I've already used:

Miralax
    Colace stool softener
    Satin pillowcase
    Queasy drops (like the pops, but hard candy sized)
    Utter cream (it is really great and the price can't be beat)
    OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener treatment clear nail polish
    Onsen cuticle cream
    Nateen toothpaste (no irritating chemicals, all natural)
    Toothbrush sterilizer (UV light, charges by USB), I got the Wagner and Stern brand recommended here
    And these comfy Kubua slipper shoes in hot pink, because why not? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KJ6XVRQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov...

• laback31
    laback31 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2022
    Options

WOW! Getting ready for this next step in my journey: 1st chemo treatment on Wednesday! I am scared. But hope to find some comfort and strength in your stories shared here. You all seem to be very strong women!

• moderators
    edited May 2022
    Options

Dear laback31,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are so glad that you joined us. We hope that you find support and information here that will help and guide you along the way. Good luck with your first chemotherapy on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes. Send us a private message if we can be a help to you here as you navigate your way around the discussion boards.

The Mods

• minustwo
    edited May 2022
    Options

laback - glad the tips helped. What chemo will you be doing? I had four different drugs and my infusion day was usually at least 8 hours. Yes, I lost my hair & yes I was tired - but fortunately I was not nauseated. Still - I was able to drive to every one of my infusion sessions by myself & drive myself back home. I did start icing my fingers the very first day, but neglected to ice my toes on day one so my big toe nails detached. But I didn't lose them entirely. Good luck. Please do check back in.

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022
    Options

I’m commenting here to bump this thread higher in the active list.

• minustwo
    edited June 2022
    Options

Good SarahMaude - I used to do that when I could more easily see 'my favorites', but it's a real pain with this 'new' design.

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022
    Options

Sigh. The new design makes me sad. But the people here, like you 😘, make me feel better, so I’m doing what I do with all the inconveniences I encounter…compensate.

• minustwo
    edited June 2022
    Options

SarahMaude - so you started chemo on 5/4? I guess you've likely had two sessions? Hope everything is going OK and your side effect are minimal.

• sarahmaude
    edited June 2022
    Options

Minustwo, I’m doing well, relatively. My biggest challenge so far has been neutropenia both cycles. Lots of fatigue this time. I’m feeling well today, and have nine days until my next treatment. I’m hopeful these will be good days. Knowing I’m halfway through is a motivation for sure! Last treatment is 7/6.(Rads to follow, of course).

• laback31
    laback31 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2022
    Options

@ Minustwo; You are amazing, especially to drive! My 1st treatment was last wednesday. I am taking cytoxan & taxotere. I used the penguin cold cap also- I am not for certain, but during that day, my eyes were a little woozy from the flourescent lighting in the room, the meds (& nerves of it all), or the tight frozen caps on my head. After a few hours it felt good to to shut my eyes and listen to music. It subsided later that night, so i assume it was the cold. As for this past week, I challenge with the mental game: is something happening? when will it happen? am i okay? Actual symptoms were constipation, cotton/chemo tongue, and a higher pulse. I go in thursday for a blood draw check. Next treatment is in 2 weeks.

• minustwo
    edited June 2022
    Options

Oh constipation... I had the opposite - "Big D". The was a very informative thread about bowel issues by SAS, but it's gone inactive. Hang in there ladies!!!

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

bumping for new members

• windwalker27
    windwalker27 Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2022
    Options

thank you.

• birddr
    birddr Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2022
    Options

hi. My first post. I had my first chemo treatment on Monday (AC) and now have severe constipation. I just ate some dried apricots and dates. Husband is getting me prune juice and stool softener but that won’t be here for a little while. Any immediate suggestions? So far this is my first side effect. And I’m always regular with vowel movements. Thanks

• birddr
    birddr Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2022
    Options

and that should have been bowel, not vowel

• moderators
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi chickadee, and welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're so sorry to hear of your troubles with treatment, but we're glad you've found us and decided to post. You're sure to find our Community a wonderful source of advice, information, encouragement, and support -- we're all here for you!

While you wait for the always helpful tips from others here, we wanted to share with you a couple of pages from Breastcancer.org that you may find helpful:

Also, we'd suggest if you don't get many responses here, try starting a new thread here in the Chemotherapy forum so others can respond specifically to your questions.

We hope this helps and that you feel better soon. Please keep us posted with how you're doing!

--The Mods

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

chikadee - Be prepared because nothing will be like it used to be - so "regular" will be off the table for awhile and you'll find new patterns. Actually two days shouldn't be critical. You should check with your doc first because we're all different - Your oncologist probably has a nurse navigator or PA that can take these kind of calls. Or hopefully you have access on line to something like My Chart.

My doc had me take Senacot S regularly during treatment. Some docs recommend Metamucil for extra fiber. Some recommend Miralax. If you are in serious discomfort - ask your doc about using a one time saline enema (like Fleet). Good luck.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 389
    edited September 2022
    Options

That caught me my first time around also. Lasted about four days along with what felt like a brick in my stomach. I assume because nothing is moving quickly. Anyway miralax once or two a day and a stool softener every meal. Should take you about two to three days and then you'll notice things moving pretty regularly. If you want to head it off next time start miralax with first meal after chemo and then once a day after that. A stool softener two or three times a day, also. That seems to be helping me this time around. Still got that damn brick but it's not quite as heavy in here :)

• ericjo
    ericjo Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2023
    Options

Has anyone had bloating lower abdomen later in treatment