Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Options

Comments

• bluedasher
    bluedasher Member Posts: 350
    edited November 2008
    Options

I have a question about Biotene. So far my mouth is fine. Do I start using Biotene toothpaste proactively to prevent problems or do I wait until I have problems?

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited November 2008
    Options

I didn't use the toothpaste. I did use the mouthwash 2-3 times a day throughout chemo and never developed any mouth sores.  I'm a believer in prevention, to be honest, and it doesn't necessarily have to be with a fancy-schmancy mouth rinse; Otter had success with baking soda + water, I believe!

My body became slower and slower to heal as chemo wore on (a mosquito bit me at the beginning of chemo, and I still had evidence of the bite four months later). I was afraid if I developed mouth sores, my immune system would not rally well to heal them!  

Short answer: Proactive is good. An ounce of prevention, etc.

• np312
    np312 Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2008
    Options

THANK YOU THANK YOU THNAK YOU !!!!  I don't have enough words to tell you all how much this is appreciated !!!!

My mom is starting TAC this coming Monday (11/17/08) - she will have 6 treatments every 3 weeks. She lives with me so I will be there for her - I am also planning to take time off - i was thinking to take the 1st week off (after the chemo) - then may be I can work 2 weeks and again 1 week off. - Is the 1st week the worst???? She will be also taking Neupogen for 8 days starting day 3. Any SE's from that??? What can we do to lessen it??? Also - Neupogen has to be self-administered (or I can do it for her)- I am scared to death to inject her Cry.

She  doesn't have a port or picc line in - they wil be using her veins.

• bluedasher
    bluedasher Member Posts: 350
    edited December 2008
    Options

np312, I've been injecting myself with Neupogen. It isn't so bad. I do it in the abdomin and it doesn't hurt. But 8 Neupogen seems like a lot. I take 3 or 4 shots per chemo cycle. My oncologist said that one Neulastin is about equivalent to 10 Neupogen doses. If I was needing 8 Neupogen, I would ask about Neulastin.

Either can cause some bone pain - particularly in the large bones of the legs and hips. I haven't had that. My doctor indicated that if I was getting it, the dose was too strong. Some people take Aleve and Claritin to address that symptom. 

• np312
    np312 Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2008
    Options

Bluedasher:  Thanks. Actually my mom ended up having total of 11 Neupogen shots - her insurance says that 'Neulasta' is NOT a formulary drug for them so have to take Neupogen. My mom really had a rough time with the 1st chemo so her 2nd is delayed. We will see Onc this coming monday. My mom did have severe bone pain (hip and lower back) - Onc said to take Vicodin.

• kaylamarie626
    kaylamarie626 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2008
    Options

Your list is better than the book they gave me for what my mom may or may not be able to keep down you totally rock !!!!

• lemonjake
    edited December 2008
    Options

A quickie to say that I'm very happy the list is helpful!  I'm rooting for all of you.

PS If you (or your mom) have just started chemo, you might find it helpful to join a "month" group, e.g., "Starting Chemo in December 2008" or something. You also should feel free to read what advice people had say, in April 2008 or May 2008.  

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited December 2008
    Options

Bumping for Mary

(Hey Rock!)

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

Bump.

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

Bump to the top!

• lemonjake
    edited December 2008
    Options

Nico -- HOW ARE YOU? 

big smooch and a hug.  Oh, I needed to see your name today!!!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

rock-

Doing OK here. Big kiss and hug back atcha!

Congrats on the book there lady!

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

A bump for the newbies.

• lemonjake
    edited December 2008
    Options

Nico -- xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo.

• Fllorik
    Fllorik Member Posts: 381
    edited December 2008
    Options

Any hints for Doxil users?

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

Rock -

Have a great holiday and a great trip!

Nico

• lemonjake
    edited December 2008
    Options

Fllorik -- sorry, I don't know anything about Doxil.

Nico -- Thank you!  Happy Hanukkah/Xmas/Kwanzaa to you, too!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

Bumping for the Jan '09 Jewels!

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

Bump again!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

A bump for the newbies.

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

Bumping.

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

Bumping again for the newbies.

• Nico1012
    edited December 2008
    Options

Bump.

• Debbie1218
    Debbie1218 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2008
    Options

Hi there,

I - along with others would like to thank all who put together the list- is has been invaluable! You are all awesome. I just finished round 2 of AC, and am really tired and emothional this time. But- it will pass I'm sure. I have 2 more to go, then 12 weekly Taxol, then 6 weeks of daily radiation, so I have a long way to go.

np312- figure out the cost of each. If the neulasta shows to be less expensive, you likely can get approval for it. Also, file an appeal with the insurance since she has to have so many shots compared to the neulasta. You might be able to get it approved that way. Always try an appeal, all they can say is no, and then at least you know you tried. Even appeal the appeal. The higher you go the better chance you have.

Debbie

• Debbie1218
    Debbie1218 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2008
    Options

Question- what does it mean to "bump"? what does it do?

Thanks

• Scrappygrl
    Scrappygrl Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2008
    Options

deeg- Bumping just means that when someone posts to "bump" the thread/topic to the top of the page because it can get lost in all the posts.  This way they keep it towards the top of the page for the newbies.  Hope that I explained it well enough. 

• NanaOfTen
    NanaOfTen Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2008
    Options

• lemonjake
    edited December 2008
    Options

NanaOfTen -- I think Proudafwife explained it pretty well.

Bumping for a new year . . . and for Nico!  Happy new year to you, happy new year to you . . . !

xo 

• NanaOfTen
    NanaOfTen Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2008
    Options

• Nico1012
    edited January 2009
    Options

rock ~

Thanks and same back atcha!

Several sisters have posted that vitamin B6 helps with neuropathy from chemo.

Does vitamin B12 help with muscle aches or also with neuropathy?

Nico