Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Options

Comments

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited July 2008
    Options

'taint nothing. glad it's useful!

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bump for us no pamphlet people.

Sokay, though. Cuz I got SHOVELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2008
    Options

bump for newbies

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

shoobie doobie do a bump-bump

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

*Burp*  (excuse me)

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

BeBop A Bump Bump

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Babaloo BUMP!

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bumpaletta

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

Me gusta bump.

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bumpalotta

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

Emilyjuanita -- bump bump!

• emilyjuanita
    emilyjuanita Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Options

??

Is that like a fist bump?

I'm new to this... 

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

I LIKE the idea that it is a fist bump but it "bump" is simply a post that moves this item to a list of recent posts so that others can find it more easily.

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bump...bump   I wish they would just move this to a section so we do not have to keep bumping this.

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

FloridaLady -- What do you mean "move this to a section"? How does that work?

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

blimp.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2008
    Options

rock, the moderators/admisistrators can 'pin' this to the forum and it will stay at the top. I am not sure how they decide what needs 'pinning'. Pinned topics have a thumbtack next to the topic on the main page of the forum.

Sheila

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

Sheila  -- Thanks to YOU (and FloridaLady), I asked  a moderator, and we're "Pinned!"  Thank you! Thanks also to Nico and everybody who has been bumping this, and of course, to Melissa for starting the original discussion. 

(I feel a little silly saying this, but I'm so proud of our collective wisdom!) 

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Rock,

Me too!

Bump

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bumpng up!

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

For what it's worth, Nico, I don't think we need to bump anymore. If people find the "chemo" thread, this list will always be "pinned" to the top!  Nifty, right?  But if you feel like bumping so it stays as an "active topic" then by all means bump awaaaayyy!

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Cool!

• kris60
    kris60 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    Options

Chemobag: portable DVD player, and ear buds.  It helped me out alot.  I couldn't concentrate on a book, so I brought movies to watch, it really passed the time and kept my mind off of the treatment. I took Senoco-S the day prior to AC, and the day of and after...... everything came out fine. heehee pun intended.

Pop started tasting bad, I was an advid pepsi drinker (no coffee) and it was my caffeine Smile  I bought Twinings breakfast tea (it's hot) and it was great.  It seemed I couldn't have the sweet stuff anymore, it all tasted 'funky'. 

I had 6 AC and 12 Taxol, I finished my last Taxol 8 July and to this day I have my big ol' Stripes mug, get  the Lipton Cold Brew tea bags, and put one in, with 3/4 full of water and the rest ice, and go to town.  I had a regular huge cup at chemo and spilled it all over the floor, so I got the huge one and my chemo nurses called it my 'sippie cup' . Embarassed lol

also ATTITUDE!!! is a key player for chemo.  I always had the nurses laughing, and some of the other IV'ers.  You have to laugh, even if it's at yourself. Keep positive.  I can't say that enough.  For every negative thing you think of, find its positive.  Hair loss = no shaving, no $$ getting it colored, save on shampoo etc....  There's always a positive, you just have to find it, no matter how silly it is....... 

• quinda
    quinda Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Options

Thank You.  I am new.  Just had mastectomy on Thursday and now healing then tomorrow drains out and I am scared to almost death about chemo.  Just gotta wait and see what that is like just like everything else so thank you for this list of suggestions.  This is going to help.

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

Quinda -- It IS hard, but in my experience, chemo does get easier to deal with in a lot of ways as time goes by.  I wish you all the very, very best!

• jacquelyn32
    jacquelyn32 Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2008
    Options

hi- this is a great and useful list. i am a newby. i was diagnosed on july 2nd and had a mastectomy on july21. I still have my drains in and hoping to go monday to get them out. I met with the onc and schedule to start chemo august 11th and then he said radiation is preferred since the tumor was 5 cm which i dread more than the chemo. I am nervous about starting chemo. Thanks for the info. i look foward to getting to know everyone. The past two weeks i have been doing alot of searching and reading. jackie

• lemonjake
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Dear Jackie, I'm glad you found this helpful. I am impressed with how quickly you found this website!  As you will gather from reading the various threads, nervousness about chemo and rads is completely understandable.  You are not alone!  Take good care.
  • justkat
    justkat Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2008
    Options

gack, so much to worry about. and here i was just worrying about feeling poorly. =\

• lemonjake
    edited August 2008
    Options

Justkat -- Oh, I''m so sorry that this reads like a list of things to worry about as opposed to "here's some stuff to help you prepare for chemo..." I really intended for it to ALLEVIATE worry, not add to it. I'm so sorry.  Any thoughts on how the lists could be presented in a less worry-provoking way?! Feel free to post again or PM me!

• nita
    nita Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2008
    Options

Hi:

This is a 1st for me, I have never participated in a chat room .  Any way, I'm supposed to start chemo on 8/14/08.  I found your list helpful, necessary and just what I was looking for.  It had many good tips.  I'm at a point that I don't know what questions to ask. I've just had the thinking of "where do I have to be and when do I need to be there". I have a very good friend who just finished her treatment, Infact the day I had my 1st lumpectomy, she had her port removed!

Thanks,

Nita