Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Comments

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited September 2008

That's probably true.  I don't use the "active threads" feature, but others might.

otter

(this serves as a bump) 

• MustangDragon
    MustangDragon Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2008

This is no doubt the best post I've read so far (I'm pretty new to this site). I appreciate it so much, and have copied down certain things I want to ask my onc about, and certain things I want to remember... a shopping list.

Bless you for posting this! (And yep, I have two pair of crocs, and they are the best!)

• priane
    priane Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2008

hmmm....sounds like I'm going to have to treat myself to a nice pair of crocs!!! LOL

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited September 2008

Why is it recommended to eat a popsicle or something cold when getting Adriamycin? My son got his in a liter bag and it was weird watching 'red' fluid drip in. He never complained when it was infusing, so i am curious what the cold is for??

D

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited September 2008

some people says it helps prevent mouth sores or headaches. others say "not so much"!

• lemonjake
    edited September 2008

bump

• lemonjake
    edited September 2008

bump because today i go for rad sims...

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited September 2008

Bump because I'm counting down.................. 4 more tx to go!

Nico

• lemonjake
    edited September 2008

Hurray, Nico!

• LINBAD2
    LINBAD2 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2008

Really nervous about having to go through chemo. I have my consultation tomorrow and I guess I will find out all my details then. This site is both amazing for all your advice and comments but also scarey. At least I may be a little more prepared as to what is to come. I had trouble for my surgeries in them finding my veins and was told about the hot pack and it did work. I am a little nervouse that I have to have them find one each time but then again the port seems awful too. I feel like such a baby about all this but I know I have to go through it. You all are amazing!!!!

• lemonjake
    edited September 2008

Linbad2 -- I won't lie, chemo was not the BEST time of my life.  The first one is hard because you don't know what to expect.  Toward the end, chemo can be hard because your body is getting tired. But! But! If you try to eat well and get regular exercise (e.g., walking), and find as many occasions to relax and laugh as you can ... well, chemo doesn't have to be the worst thing in the world either! I wish you all the best.  YOU are amazing, too, in ways that you might not have realized before but will come to appreciate the next few months.

• AMANN
    AMANN Member Posts: 63
    edited September 2008

I'm bumping now! :)

• dacox
    dacox Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2008

Well Im a newbie, just did my first treatment of chemo, it kicked my butt!  Not sure if it was the chemo or the neulasta shot.  It feels like an out of body experience and each day brings a new side effect.  My drugs were cytoxin and taxotere, the nausea meds worked for me, they were the lesser of the group, i'm still taking them just to keep myself in check.  Also, the bad taste in my mouth is ruining even the simplest of foods.  Any suggesstions??????

thanks

• dacox
    edited September 2008

Let me tell you about vein problems, even the anesthesiologist had a  time finding my veins, so if you are anything like me, get the port, it will make your life easier.  I'm a big baby too, every time I went into surgery they needed to wait for me to stop crying. I was told it was o.k. to cry, I have alot going on  and it is expected. so cry away, be a big baby, this is a big damn deal!

Debbie

• dacox
    edited September 2008

Let me tell you about vein problems, even the anesthesiologist had a  time finding my veins, so if you are anything like me, get the port, it will make your life easier.  I'm a big baby too, every time I went into surgery they needed to wait for me to stop crying. I was told it was o.k. to cry, I have alot going on  and it is expected. so cry away, be a big baby, this is a big damn deal!

Debbie

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited September 2008

Taxotere and Cytoxan are also my chemo tx. For the hand and foot problem of red dry itchy skin,

the very best thing I have used is Udderly Smooth hand and foot cream WITH urea recom. here by Rock, Otter and others. The results even overnight are amazing!

3 to go!  Getting REAL tired of getting my a** kicked every Friday, but the end IS in sight!!

Nico

• dacox
    edited September 2008

I didn't have any of those problems, mine were already drying out last year when I turned 40.    I have all the other side effects and everyday is bring me something new.  I  have 3 more to go, they are 3 weeks apart.  So, it has taking a good 8 days for my body to function at a level were I feel comfortable driving around in a car.  How does everyone work? I have a part-time job and couldn't even do that.  Does this get worse? better? I know everyone is different, but there are people out there that had all of these side effects, how did they deal with this!!!!!  Any help would be great.  It's tough being strong and I try not to complain to my husband, he feels bad cause he can't help me.  I tell myself it is this is helping me and I can do this!

• lemonjake
    edited September 2008

This is a bump for Debbie and Nico and everybody just starting and everybody in the throes of chemo.  (Debbie -- are you hooked up with a chemo group, e.g., "August 2008"?  I found my group (May 2008) to be incredibly helpful w/ advice for side effects, and sympathetic.  Mouth-wise, you might get along better with plastic cutlery.)

• lemonjake
    edited October 2008

b

• NDN
    NDN Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2008

Hi, 

I just wanted to let you know that what worked for me was 1st giveing the naus med than the chemo, I do not know why but my body did not like the chemo, I was sick from that evening to my next dose.  But giving the naus med first worked.

• AimeeFaye
    AimeeFaye Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2008

Hi Nico!  I was just surfing the posts and came across your comment about your Chillow.  I googled the product but wonder if you can tell me how YOU use it?  I'm always on the look out for something to make this chemo process easier...

thanks,

Deb

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited October 2008

I believe I've discovered another product good to have on hand.  I bought a box of latex-free, powder-free gloves (like they use in the doctor's office).  I keep some in my kitchen and some in my bathroom.  They're great for applying desitin and/or vagisil cream.

I have a box at my bookkeeping office because money is so dirty.  I wear them when I am counting out the cash so I don't have to actually touch the money.  I also have a habit of licking my finger as I count the bills, so I can't do that.  

Even before I had bc, I used gloves when I did filing so I didn't get paper cuts or jam my cuticles.

All of your suggestions have been great.  For the most part, I was able to get everything I needed before my first chemo.

• lemonjake
    edited October 2008

Before I call it a night . . .

I'm halfway through radiation now.  For some reason, a little bit ago, the realization that every month, practically every single day, some woman finds a lump, gets diagnosed, learns she's going to have to have chemo -- it just hit me pretty hard.

To any woman who is reading this, getting ready for chemo: My heart really does go out to you.   For some reason, especially tonight.   Take care.

PS Code for free shipping at www.crocs.com:  EVRUNNER08

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited October 2008

Rock,

This is a wonderful topic - thank you.  I have an item to add to the chemo bag (please excuse me if it's a redundant item - I may have missed it on the list) - an extra pair of undies just in case Embarassed.

Donna

• lemonjake
    edited October 2008

bump

• fivekids
    fivekids Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2008

what are some good fiber to eat, how do you stay away from soy if yourER+.

• familyroks
    familyroks Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2008

Lots of fruits and veggies have good amounts of fiber.  I also like high fiber bread.  I get double fiber bread and english muffins. 

• God-is-good
    God-is-good Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2008
    For those of us who have or will lose their hair...sleeping in a Hoodie is great!! Now that its getting cold it makes my head ache. I tried sleeping cap and I dont like anything that fitted when im sleeping and I tried a warm scarf but nothing compares to a comfy hoodie & pj pants to sleep in. If you wake up too warm just push it back until youre cold again Smile
  • AMANN
    AMANN Member Posts: 63
    edited October 2008

Bump Bump

• lemonjake
    edited November 2008

bump