Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Comments

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited August 2008

Hello, Nita!  I'm glad this was helpful to you.  In my experience, the first chemo was the hardest because everything was so new. But trust me, you will get the hang of it! Also, for what it's worth, you are scheduled to start chemo on the day after my last one is scheduled.  I think that -- combined with your friend's port removal! -- is an EXCELLENT sign. If you can keep a sense of humor, it helps. Chemo is hard, but as thousands (millions?) of women have proven, you can do it.  I wish you all the best.

• nita
    nita Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2008

Thanks, I'm trying to keep a sense of humor, but I'm truely finding out that all of you women who are dealing with this are warriors.  I'm so happy for you that you will be having your last treatment.  I know it will be hard for me, but I gotta do, what I gotta do!

Take care and thanks again

• jas
    jas Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2008

Wish I had this list before my chemo ( 4 cytoxan/taxotere) - it is terrific!!! I would just add that the only thing that helped my metallic taste was ginger ale - and it was the only way to keep hydrated although water with a lemon slice was okay. I definitely second biotene for mouthwash.

The sites for the wigs - including someone mentioning ebay are a great help - I never did find those sites.

I am on to radiation (35 sessions)  and herceptin weekly. Thanks to all for the list !   

• aileenwelsh
    aileenwelsh Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2008

Thanks so much.  I have my first session tomorrow.  It really helps to have an idea what to expect and what to bring to make it a little easier.  I've gotten some ideas from other sites, my doctor and nurses, and survivors but yours was very thorough and had a few ideas I hadn't heard of.  My husband plans to teach me pinochle-I think I'd rather play poker but since he is going through this too we can try his game this time.

Aileen

• lemonjake
    edited August 2008

Jas and Aileen:  It sounds so darned weird to say "Welcome to these discussion boards" -- given that it isn't like you any of us were exactly chomping at the bit to be here! Having said that, I'm glad you found the list helpful. Good luck with rads, Jas! And Aileen, I wish I could offer you some pinochle playing tips but while I love to play cards, I am lousy at 'em!  I hope your first session today goes well. I did find that the first session (and the weeks between the 1st & the 2nd) to be the hardest because I had no idea what to expect.

Take good care.

• dhettish
    dhettish Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2008

Glad this finally got bumped to the top. I should have done it several days ago as  I have recommened this to several newcomers asking what to expect with chemo. We need to always try to keep this on the front two pages.

Debbie 

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited August 2008

Debbie, this topic has been pinned to the top of the Chemo forum, It may not stay on the active list but it is always on the top of the chemo.

Sheila

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited August 2008

Debbie,

I agree, this does need to be bumped more often. It's great that it is pinned to the top of the chemo forum but newbies don't always get beyond what is posted on the first 2 pages of the boards at first. It takes awhile to learn to navigate around here!

That said...................   BUMPING for the Aug. 08 group!

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited August 2008

Bump again

• g94u67
    g94u67 Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2008

Bump, bump bump. Thx again Rock. This info is awesome and so detailed. I will be on A/C so this is great.

Making my list for  "D-day" on Friday.

Jeannine Tongue out

• Nico1012
    edited August 2008

Bumping for the Hell's Belle

• lemonjake
    edited August 2008

Bump because it is Sable's birthday AND because Adrienne and I had our last chemo today. Hurray!

• Nico1012
    edited August 2008

Bumping for the Newbies

• lemonjake
    edited August 2008

hey ya, nico!

• Nico1012
    edited August 2008

Hey back at ya!

I miss you to pieces!!

Nico

• wondering7
    wondering7 Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2008

Bump

Let's hear it for the girls of summer 2008!!!!!! You all rock!!!

W7

• Nico1012
    edited August 2008

Bumping in honor of Rock!

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited September 2008

Bumping for the Sept. '08 group.

• Nico1012
    edited September 2008

Bumping.

• Nico1012
    edited September 2008

A Bump for the Newbies

• Nico1012
    edited September 2008

A BUMP for the Newbies

• lemonjake
    edited September 2008

A bump for Nico. (and a hug. It is so cool that you do this.)

• Nico1012
    edited September 2008

Welcome Back, Rock!

• PrincessofPain
    PrincessofPain Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2008

I found that whatever I was able to keep down after treatment was what I ate nonstop until the next one. I also found that watching TV and reading books made me naseous. So you may want to consider books on tape. I also found the setting up part of treatment a little emotional so I had really upbeat can't help but tap your toes music on my IPOD. I would crank the tunes and tell them to tap me on the shoulder once my IV was all set up. I am scheduled to start another bout of experimental chemo next month. Oh Goody!!  The tradition in  our house is that my kids get to have fun shaving my head when my hair starts to fall out. We get a big chocolate cake and have a "It's Just Hair" Party.  Made the first time a little less scary for my kids... and me.  Wish me luck!!

• PrincessofPain
    PrincessofPain Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2008
    excuse my ignorance... but what is a bump??  I am a little new to this. Unfortunately not new to cancer...Kiss
  • kerry_lamb
    kerry_lamb Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2008

hey PoP,

Good luck doing this shite again. You've got a great sense of humor! I'll pray for you during my dex-induced sleeplessness tonight.XX Kerry Laughing 

• Nico1012
    edited September 2008

Bump

• lemonjake
    edited September 2008

PoP -- We "bump" the thread to the top of the boards so that it is easier for new folks to find.  (I love the cake tradition. Hate the reason, love the tradition.  I still have happy memories of the day when I was 10 and accompanied (my still alive) Mom to choose her wigs.  Must have been a not-great day for Mom, but you wouldn't have known it by how silly she was acting in the wig place.  "Look, hubby! Last chance for a blonde!" Bizarrely HER HAIR NEVER FELL OUT even though it was supposed to.  She describes the wigs as "the best $200 she ever wasted in her life."

Bumpety doo dah, bumpety ayy...

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited September 2008

Ummm... can I ask a question?

Since this thread is now "pinned", doesn't that keep it at the top of the first page anyway?  It wouldn't be on the "active threads" list unless somebody posts to it, I suppose...but it's always one of the first 4 threads on the first page, every time I check here.

Or, do you guys just like to "bump" each other, like football and basketball players who make a good play!   :)

otter 

• lemonjake
    edited September 2008

I think that by bumping, it keeps it listed higher up in the "active topics" where brand new BCO users are more likely to find it even if they haven't stumbled across the Chemo fora. Does that make sense?