Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair Hair Hair - Another question

Options

Comments

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    edited May 2019
    Options

Actually—Taxol is known for hair loss. I read 96% of women lose their hair on it.

• Yndorian
    Yndorian Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2019
    Options

CBK- I had a growt during taxol too! I shaved my hair 3 weeks post AC because the new hair was like a fluff, but then it started to grow. But I meet a women in the hospital who lost again all her new hair finished taxol. I hope to not. My eyebrows and eyelashes are another thing. They are slowly vanishing. But I can disimulate it with some pencils. Thank you

Ingerp, I actually know that, and I've not expected to have hair two weeks after finishing taxol, this is the reason of my worry. Too good to be real!

I don't still preparate to leave my wick but this babies can see the sunlight soon!

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    edited May 2019
    Options

My hair started to grow again after chemo was winding down. When I started the Taxol my hair fell out again. I finished the Taxol the end of March & the hair that I have is a sort of peach fuzz on the top of my head.

Doris

• cbk
    cbk Member Posts: 323
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yndorian

I don’t think losing hair you sprouted on Taxol is common. My oncologist told me after I finished AC I would sprout on Taxol, I did and never shed a thread on Taxol except eyebrows and lashes. But I lost them all! 😤

Your head hair will look like fuzz or fluff when it starts growing in.... at least mine did. Then it will start sprouting what looks like more “normal” hair.

Good luck

• Yndorian
    edited May 2019
    Options

CBK - I imagine that you have a pretty pixie now. It is curious, I have some things more important to worry about, but to have hair makes me feel a bit better in the middle of all this sh@#$%t. Thank you!

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited May 2019
    Options

Mine didn’t start growing until 3 weeks after I finished Taxol.

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    edited May 2019
    Options

I finished Taxol 11 days ago and I have had peach fuzz for about a month so before the end of Taxol. Ive noticed over the last week it appears my fuzz is getting a little thicker and I have some looking pieces lol. My eyelashes seem to maybe be growing a little too. Just remember everyone and how their body responds is different! I hope your hair, all of it!! grows back quickly!!

• cbk
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yndorian-

Ha! Long past pixie stage!! You will have that around 5 to 7 months depending on how your hair grows!

But I have NOT lost my chemo curls ... I'm 17 months PFC... and my hair is wild! It would be grazing my shoulders if it was straight! It's just beginning to get weighted down by the length!

Yes...thinking about hair and talking about it gives some normalcy in all the insanity. And you should talk about it as much as you want!

• Yndorian
    edited May 2019
    Options

CBK. It is autum here so I have an excuse for my covered head for about next four months. I hope to have a more credible pixie by the spring. By the way I didn't noticed what bald men suffers the winter!!! Jajajaa

• cbk
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yndorian

I was bald as a cueball through autumn and the dead of the winter. I bought a cheap headband with hair and put all sorts of hats over it!! I had a turban under the headband with hair, the wig, and a hat! I never ever went out without a wig, I was so self-conscious. I wore my wigs to two surgeries and all 16 of my infusions. Omg!

We had a pretty miserable and cold autumn and winter that year, which was just fine with me! All the more reason for me to cover up!

• TWills
    edited May 2019
    Options

CBK, I was self conscious as well, no one, and I mean no one husband included ever saw my bald head besides myself and that was one too many lol. I think it was the one thing I could control and I needed that.Used lightweight turbans when I was home and never not once left the house without my wig, several surgeries, chemo, rads, and yes even the mailbox, everything! I did this in Florida from Feb-Oct, which is basically our summer, needless to say, it was beyond hot!!!

I absolutely commend everyone that feels comfortable not wearing a wig or cover but I didn't and I didn't feel as though I needed the added stress that it would have caused me.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,799
    edited May 2019
    Options

I wore headcoverings consistently, although my wig was uncomfortable. Gradually, as my hair approached 1/2 inch, I became comfortable seeing myself in the mirror. I wore headcoverings less and less. Then I got depressed, and concerned about what people thought of me. With some counseling, I realized that it stemmed back to a workplace harassment situation. Basically I was caught between homophobes and heterophobes. With my choice of a celibate lifestyle, it doesn't matter, so I refused to disclose. And a short haircut is called a butch. Sheesh!!!!

I am proud of how much my hair has grown. I wear makeup, and my glasses are fem. It doesn't matter what others think. And, yes, I carry a scarf in case my head gets cold. How bald men can do it, I don't know.

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    edited May 2019
    Options

I wear my wig everyday. I was away this past weekend for my daughter's graduation. It was the first time since I started chemo that I stayed in a hotel. I forgot my wig stand and used the retractable handle on my suitcase to hang her up for the night.

There were pictures posted on FB of all of us celebrating and several compliments on my new haircut. Not everyone knows I have bc and I like it that way.

The weekend was a huge taste of the normalcy I've been missing and I enjoyed it but once the wig comes off and I look in the mirror I know nothing is normal now. Hopefully a year from now, it will be but for now it's not and that sucks.

• TWills
    edited May 2019
    Options

Exactly DawnS1962, not many people knew I had BC and I liked it that way as well. I also went to my daughters college graduation with a wig. Congrats to your family on her graduation, exciting times:

Funny enough I sometimes feel judged or feel as though others going through BC think it’s silly or vain to need to wear a cover or a wig. As far as not caring what others think, I don’t, it’s about me and what I’m comfortable with. The last thing we need is to be uncomfortable, physically or mentally. Wear something or don’t, one of the few personal choices we get to make during all of this.

• mcbaker
    edited May 2019
    Options

I so much agree.

we have great conversations,like how much curlier is it going to be. I discovered that I have two whorls going in opposite directions. They are right next to each other, one is dominant, the other less obvious. No wonder wash and run is the best way. I can't make it do what it doesn't want to do, it looks better if I let it do what IT wants to do.

• TWills
    edited May 2019
    Options

MCBaker, I’m a hairstylist and I tell that to clients often. You can fight your hair but it works out better when you work with it. Most of the time anyway lol

• kber
    kber Member Posts: 243
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi - I had "hair" start to grow in about a month before I finished Taxol, but man it's slow!  I put hair in quotes, because it's more like goose down still.  Snow white and fine.

I'm hoping that it will pick up a bit now that I'm done with chemo.  

I have the beginnings of eyelashes and brows, but they too are snow white.  It's, um, interesting.

I invested in a very nice real hair wig that I wore exactly once.  I'm more comfortable in hats and have quite a number of them!  I forgot my hat once.  Was dressed in my work skirt and silk blouse, make up applied, pantyhose and heals on, dangly earrings in.  Didn't realize I was bare headed until 15 minutes into my commute.  Thought about just continuing my drive, but decided that the world and I were not ready for that, so turned the car around, grabbed a hat and started out for work again.  I keep a hat in my computer bag now, just in case chemo brain starts again!

Anyone use castor oil?  I just got some and apply it to my scalp morning and night.  Not sure if it regrows hair, but it feels nice and makes my goose down less itchy under my hats.  

• Yndorian
    edited May 2019
    Options

My avatar is a photo taked today. I started to use a band to disimulate my rare and bad cut pixie jajaj. It is cold here so I will still covered my head. I think in september I will have a real normal hairstyle. Patient!

• mcbaker
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yndorian, you are somewhere south of the Equator. Your ESL errors resemble those of a Spanish speaker. I would guess Chile or Argentina?

• Yndorian
    edited May 2019
    Options

MCBaker, yes, I'm from Argentina. I know there is a spanish community but it is no so large than this. I hope my mistakes are adorable, don't kick me out please! Jajaa😜

• mcbaker
    edited May 2019
    Options

They are adorable!! Jajaa LOL'ing.

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yndorian, I love that your hair is growing. Gives me hope this nightmare will eventually end.

Also, I think your English is great😊

• cbk
    edited May 2019
    Options

TWillis-

Omg. I still think back and cry over the loss of my hair and what I felt was shame over it’s departure. There was no damn way anyone was going to know I lost my head of hair that I didn’t want to know. I also didn’t want one ounce of pity from one passerby! My husband wasn’t allowed to see my bald head either!

I went out and bought a wig that looked exactly like my hair. Nobody knew ... people said wow your new color looks great. Wig was a little more vibrant and maybe a bit thicker than my pre-MX strands. But almost a dead ringer.

When I finally ripped that wig off about 7 months PFC, acquaintances were giving me kudos on my new cut! For months this went on... and i began to let go of my holding on; letting no one in about my cancer. I began to laugh and say ... so you really think I would have cut my hair like this? . these are chemo curls!

The most amazing stories were shared out of that exchange. I feel like I’ve started tocome back to be the strong person that somehow that hair stripped away!

Yndorian- Fantastic photo. How the heck do you have that much growth already? So cute! So amazing!

• rrshannon
    rrshannon Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2019
    Options

It is always so awkward for me when people I know don't know about the BC and see my wig and tell me ow they love my hair cut I almost feel like I am lying. But I just smile and say thanks. Yesterday I ran to the store with my hat on and forgot i had on my shirt that says My Oncologist does my hair and i got so many complimants on my shirt. :)

• krose53
    krose53 Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2019
    Options

I lost all my hair on Taxol.I had just the very beginnings of growth between chemo sessions but would lose it as soon as that round of chemo was under way. At the end of my chemo, I grew this weird almost translucent bristles like a brush. They fell out and my real hair started growing back 6 wks after chemo. I now have a big crazy head of chemo curls.

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    edited May 2019
    Options

I wore stocking caps during my chemo as the weather was so cold November thru March. October wasn’t cold, but I hadn’t lost my hair yet. It was falling out at that time. I’m wearing the wigs most of the time now, but when I had my mastectomy my head was bald for the world to see. I just forgot that I was bald, also realized they had probably seen quite a few bald heads!

I wasn’t bald around the house since it was cold without some sort of covering. I let my husband see my head from the beginning as it was too much trouble to keep my bald head hidden. The wigs I have are very comfortable & lightweight. We went to Gatlinburg a few weeks ago & it was the first time I wore the wigs all the time.

My hair is coming in white & very slowly. It’s like a very short Brillo pad. The eyelashes started coming in last week. They were pretty thin, but now are thicker. The eyebrows look like stubble at this point. At this point I’ve adjusted to being bald, but at the very beginnings I thought it was the worst thing that could happen to me! How stupid was that!?

Doris

• Yndorian
    edited May 2019
    Options

I don't know about castor oil. I've rubbed DMSO in my scalp, feet and hands several times during taxol and take zinc, selenio, manganeso, ALA, vit.b complex, MSM, aminoacids and a long etc. All this shit to avoid neuropathy. I didn't avoid it but seems to worked with my hair and my nails. In the other hand my eyebrows are still vanishing and my eyelashes are almost white and short.

Dawns1962 your daughter is breathtaker!

Congratulation for the graduations TWills, and you have an amazing hair now!

Llshannon, lying? Wigs, implants, make up... We are women, we have the right to feel good with ourselves, cancer or not cancer

CBK thank you for your kindness!

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited May 2019
    Options

You're all beautiful, truly lovely human beings, hair or no hair, wigged or capped or nekkid-headed. Thank you for your frank talk about this. My hair will go soon. I'm not happy about it. I'm not happy about any of it.

But in the last few days I've started thinking less about how cancer might kill me and more about how I can kill cancer. Killing cancer means either losing my hair or being the natural exception or cold-capping, which I'm not willing to do. So BUH-BYE, HAIR!!! Every day I see my bald head in the mirror, and every day I feel the stubble on my scalp, and every day I find a stray old hair on a shirt or blanket or in my quilting fabric, I'm gonna say F^#& YOU, CANCER. I am KILLING YOU. Knowing that I'm killing cancer, and that the hair is proof of that, will be my consolation.

That's my aspiration. That's how I hope I feel, like a warrior. An Amazon. A WONDER WOMAN.

• Flower216
    Flower216 Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2019
    Options

MountainMia….losing hair is not easy. Honestly though, for me losing eyebrows and eyelashes were harder-I felt that I looked "sick". So just a suggestion-I bought (from Sephora)Benefit Foolproof Brow Powder. Its so easy to use and really gave the look of brows. They also have a gel pencil that looks great, but it was a little to hard for me to get the hang of it. I didn't want false lashes, but always put on eyeliner that made my eyes look more normal. By the way....you have a great attitude!

• Yndorian
    edited May 2019
    Options

Mountainmia, your post is very touching to me. We all feel the same fears, the same pains, the same sadness, but all of this is temporal, we are amazons. We are fighting cancer and we will win. Hugs