Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair Hair Hair - Another question

Options

Comments

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    edited October 2019
    Options

Orangedaisy thanks so much for coming back to show us your progress. I'm in the trying-to-be-patient phase. I'm 14 months PFC and am getting a lot of compliments on my hair but people don't seem to get that this isn't really my hair. It's finally long enough to start some color but I still look like a stranger in the mirror. Some more length will help but I'm really waiting for it to straighten out. I keep reading maybe around two years PFC—does that sound right?

• orangedaisy
    orangedaisy Member Posts: 129
    edited October 2019
    Options

Yndorian1, I started back to my regular Salon visits 7 months after chemo. The hair in the back grew really fast, and I was in danger of a mullet. Every 6 weeks, my stylist nipped the edges all over to encourage growth. It took a really long time for the top to catch up with the sides and back. Several times she had to cut the Bozo look out. It was still pretty curly in February(13 months) and in April still had curls on the ends. I think we finally cut out the last chemo curl about 3 weeks ago on the left side.

DogMomRunner, I like the 3 month pic too. That was the day I visited a charity group that brought me meals during treatment. I felt empowered and healthy without a hat!

Ingerp, I'm a couple of months away from 2 years, so sounds about right. Mine could be longer if hadn't cut the back and sides, but it would also be a crazy mess.

In the last pic, I had just finished a makeup makeup lesson at Ulta. The aesthetician did a really good job!

Thanks everybody for your positive responses. Embrace the curls. Don't blow them out. Use products made for curls and let it air dry or use low heat. You'll miss them when they are gone.

• orangedaisy
    orangedaisy Member Posts: 129
    edited October 2019
    Options

Toni S, at 8 weeks out, I had no hair. It started showing soon fter that. I was really worried!

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited October 2019
    Options

OrangeDaisy, thanks for sharing. You look great, very pretty. Today is my 3 months PFC and my hair is quite a bit shorter than yours. (Of course, 3/8" and 1/2" aren't really very different!!)

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited October 2019
    Options

Ingerp, I finally fired up the flat iron and straightened my hair... felt like a new woman instantly. I feel like myself again. This is 14 mos pfc. I wear it tucked behind my ears or down like this like a little mini bob. I shower wash and blow dry in the evening (I apply holding mousse and sort of try to dry it smooth but don't fuss with it very much. It looks bad at that point - though early 1980s me would probably have loved it. Sort of curly and feathered back and very poufffffy all over.) In the morning, I flat iron it and voila. It's taking more time than I like to spend on my hair but I like the result so .... vanity is prevailing LOL

(trying to upload photo again. I cropped it to make it smaller in case that was the prob)

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    edited October 2019
    Options

Orange thank you for sharing your progression of hair growth!! I like the 9 month look!! You also look wonderful now!!😊

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    edited October 2019
    Options

Empowerment! That's what it is. Smile

I still have the sparse, sticking straight up, mostly scalp but I am only 6 weeks out

• ingerp
    edited October 2019
    Options

moth I’m not seeing the picture. :-( For now I am embracing the curls and could see almost sorta liking them once I get some more length. My PT told me a patient of hers was so disappointed two years after chemo when she lost her curls that she started getting perms. :-) I *am* appreciating the fact that my hair takes no time. I’d have more length but it was *so* curly until about seven months PFC that I kept buzzing it to about 1/2”. moth I think I’ll leave the blow-drying until it straightens out (never did really figure out the flat iron) although with cooler weather here I’m wondering if I’ll need to do some gentle blow-drying so I’m not sitting around with wet hair for several hours.

Here’s me about four weeks ago, so 13 months PFC.

• dutchiegirl
    dutchiegirl Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2019
    Options

This is the back of my head, starting about a month post-chemo and then weekly thereafter. We called the first pic my mouse fur hair and then it started to change. The back grew (and continues to grow) faster than the rest but it's time for me to get rid of the wig and go au naturel. My hair has come in mostly white and grey but there is a dark blonde coming in now too.

I had a haircut last week (16 weeks post-chemo) just to even up the scraggly ends. It is very thick and the wave/curl is coming back too! I'm on Herceptin till May 2020 so not expecting to grow as rapidly as those that are not on Herceptin, but I'm please with the results so far.

• ipenelope
    edited October 2019
    Options

Inerp and Dutchie- I LOVE your guys hair!! I line seeing how everyone's hair is coming back in. Im getting some length on mine and noticing more and more waves. Bring on the chemo curls!! Lol. Ive had very straight hair majority of my life so I'm looking forward to the curls, no matter how crazy they get!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!!

~Katie💗

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2019
    Options

it’s been 7 months since chemo stopped. I have the curls, especially at the back of my neck, but the rest looks like a hedgehog. It’s brushy looking & longer on sides & back. I need to get it shaped to see if it looks better. I’m still wearing wigs which I’ve gotten used to. I may keep wearing wigs since my hair was thinning before the cancer.

Orangedaisy I would love it if my hair looked as nice as yours

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    edited October 2019
    Options

Moth: I think you do a great job with the flat iron! you look beautiful.I am having problems with my growth, It is very curly in the back and straight but rough on top.I think I will have to stay in the stage of headbands for a few more months. Then the flat iron will follow. I'm one of those people who really don't look good with short hair...

I like this thread, I like to talk about hair ... it brings some normality to my life. As before "D" day

• L_w
    L_w Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2019
    Options

hi moth

You look amazing, I also use my straighteners but only wash hair twice a week. I have had 6 cycles of chemo off for last one today no 7, so hope my hair can get back to normal after this one, I have cold capped all the way through and hair has thinned but no bald patches so far. Like you if your hair looks good you feel good. Was going to upload photo but no sure how to, if I figure it out they will follow xx

• ingerp
    edited October 2019
    Options

L_w I love the hair pics. You'll see an icon above your post that looks like two little mountains. That'll allow you to insert a picture.

• cbk
    cbk Member Posts: 323
    edited October 2019
    Options

I love the photos!! Beautiful and healthy looking ladies!

Ingerp your hair is beautiful curly. Beautiful! Im nearing the two year mark PFC and these curls are not about to quit. I think my chemo curls may be here to stay. I’ve had 4 haircuts as well

I couldn’t straight iron if I tried! Awesome look Moth! image

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited October 2019
    Options

CBK, they probably put some hair growth vitamins into your IV!

God bless you all, ladies. This is me. Not sure you can see my hair, though. My husband was going to the glamour shot, I think 🤣.

• cbk
    edited October 2019
    Options

InnaB.

😂 they may have, since I cried about losing my hair incessantly in the infusion room. Funny thing is 3 months post chemo, I went for a check-in with oncologist and I was growing facial hair too! It was wild, even my MO didn’t have an explanation.

I took it off with facial hair creme remover and thank God it didn’t grow back.

Stranger yet, people that haven’t seen me in a while ask if my hair is a wig? Seriously people if I was going to wear a wig do you really think it would look like this?

Well I see your hair and the color is radiant, Inna! It looks very thick and healthy.

May you all continue to thrive and shine!

• ipenelope
    edited October 2019
    Options

CBK- I love your hair!! Mines definitely got some waves/ curls to it but it's still fairly short.

Inna- you look beautiful and your hair looks great!!

Here's mine a week ago so 4.5 months pfc. The color is pretty close to what my natural is.

I hope all you strong ladies have a wonderful week!!

~Katie💗

• debrac
    debrac Member Posts: 63
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi ladies! Thought I’d jump on this hair topic. I’m 4 month pfc. I’ve always had fine straight hair. Was hoping for some curl. Think I’ll get some? This picture was a couple weeks ago at my first social event with no hat or head band

• cbk
    edited October 2019
    Options

J Penelope

That’s about when my hair started to wave around 4 months and then by 5 to 6 months started the full blown curls!

DebraC. Hair looks thick! You got a shot at wave... and maybe curls. See below : top shot was 31/2 months PFC when the wave began. Then 41/2 months and 51/2 months the next two shots! My hair came in at first a nice brown, then turned this lovely shade in the last two shots! Very strange huh? I colored at the 51/2 month mark.

You ladies have beautiful color already! Luckyimage

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,898
    edited October 2019
    Options

that’s exactly how mine came back, once it got a little longer it returned to being exactly what I had before chemo. Now it’s half way down my back and grows like a weed. I did have the salt and pepper thing going on at first as well, but once the shock wore off of my roots, it returned to my chestnut brown color. I promised I’d never go through that again no matter what. But as they say, it does grow back. I am living proof. My hair is soft and healthy, shiny and looonnngggg! It will kick in. With growhh everyone is different !

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,898
    edited October 2019
    Options

that's exactly how mine came back, once it got a little longer it returned to being exactly what I had before chemo. Now it's half way down my back and grows like a weed. I did have the salt and pepper thing going on at first as well, but once the shock wore off of my roots, it returned to my chestnut brown color. I promised I'd never go through that again no matter what. But as they say, it does grow back. I am living proof. My hair is soft and healthy, shiny and looonnngggg! It will kick in. With growth everyone is different !

Also it depends on the product you use. Never harsh chemicals. I recommend anything with kerotin in it. Wen is extremely gentle and i only wash my Hair once a week. I wet it the rest of the days. No extreme heat for a while. I blow dry on warm. Use product with frizz oil. Like redkin glass , I have my hair back! You will too! Just takes time unfortunately. What doesnt ?

• seawell
    seawell Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2019
    Options
    All of you look so beautiful....it’s pretty amazing how fast the head hair is growing.
    I have a question about EYELASHES
    I made it through 4 doses of TC with only some thinning of my lashes and the ones I kept were very long. I wore mascara and they looked normal. My brows disappeared but I had microblading months before my diagnosis so that was helpful.
    Now, 9 weeks post last chemo, my brows are starting to grow back very quickly but I’m losing my eyelashes. It makes no sense! Anyone else experience delayed lash loss and when did they grow back?
  • beesy_the_other_one
    beesy_the_other_one Member Posts: 170
    edited October 2019
    Options

seawell, I lost my lashes the first time weeks after the last dose of TCHP. It is not uncommon to lose them late with Taxotere, according to my MO's office staff. Sadly, I've lost them several times since then, in cycles (for a total of four times so far). The last lash loss was only one segment of my left eye, but boy am I ready to have them all return for good. I used to curl my lashes but quit because it became apparent it wasn't helping matters. My tumor was HER2+, and taking Herceptin for a year seemed to slow all hair growth, so I'm not sure my slow return of lashes (or hair) would apply to you. Hoping for quick-growing lashes for you!

ps All of you who posted photos: your hair looks great! The short hair highlights your beautiful faces!

• ingerp
    edited October 2019
    Options

seawell—I think eyelashes actually do come out with the other hair but it takes longer for them to fall out of their shafts or whatever. A lot of us (me included) had small lashes growing out as soon as we lost ours. My MO said it’s like the new lashes push the old ones out. I have a feeling the roots are deeper than we think?

Anyway—be prepared for several rounds of losing lashes. I’ve read that while normally we lose a lash or two occasionally, chemo sets them all on the same growth cycle. Expect shedding at about four-month intervals, but it should be less each time. After about a year PFC, they should be pretty much back to normal. My only complaint is that mine are not as long as they used to be. I had been using a lash conditioner pre-BC that was working pretty well. I’ve been using one consistently but they’re definitely not as long as they were. I dunno. Not a huge problem.

• seawell
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks Beesy and Ingerp....your new information helps me.....I’m hoping to see new baby lashes then real soon. I have a bottle of Latisse ready to go once they pop out! (I have used Latisse in the past before being diagnosed with great success) And I won’t be so shocked if they fall out again.
  • britgirls
    britgirls Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2019
    Options

Just did Taxol 9 of 12 so still have about a month of Taxol to go. Now getting some downy fluff on the head. Barely any brows left (but I get them microbladed and am filling in with Anastasia Beverly Hills brow powder), eyelashes very sparse for me. I'm happy to have the start of hair coming back.

• seawell
    edited October 2019
    Options

britgirls.....yay! Hair! Your brows and lashes look beautiful as well as your skin. Good luck with the rest of your tx.

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2019
    Options

orangedaisy. you look so vibrant!! 💞

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hello all,

It been awhile for me, been away. I am doing well. NED 5/6 years. To answer a question my eyebrows then lashes were the last to go. I thought I had been spared. They came back, took a while to fill in. Hair also came back all white and I have been dyeing it ever since. I let it go to my waist before cutting it a bit, still wear it long. Not as full/thick as before, but I am happy with it. Believe it or not there are days when I don't feel like combing out the knots, that I remember how much easier it was when I didn't even have to comb it. Changed my pic to show recent.

Wish you all well, if I can answer any question...ask away.

Vivian