Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair Hair Hair - Another question

Options

Comments

• cbk
    cbk Member Posts: 323
    edited May 2019
    Options

TWillis

Yes! My PS said you need to be on Retin-A or Vitamin C serum one or the other. Tried and true!

Other than that it’s Botox or Restalyn; she says all these new versions are a bunch of BS! Just repackaged and re-marketed Ha! No opinions on products!

I have prescription strength Retin-A but I’m not sure I don’t like my Mad Hippie C serum better. I use Retin-A every day. Maybe the steroids in the infusions agreed with skin?

Well I think your profile photo looks beautiful! And I’m glad you could laugh a little at yourself between the tears. I despised myself for so long I barely looked in the mirror. When I would go to wig store for adjustments I’d make them turn the chair so my back was facing the mirror for them to take my wig off and put it back on. I have beautiful wigs but nothing like my your own hair!

Thanks Moth ... I will get to reading this link and checking out products!

Ohhhh Ladies thank you so much for sharing! Youhave me in tears TWIllis, but good therapeutic tears! 🤗❤️

• Onlyme64
    Onlyme64 Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yesterday, I finished my AC & T treatment.. super excited.. but first part down, now node removal then radiation. I did use a cold cap during my entire treatment and lost about 50% of my hair. It is very thin and some bald areas on top. Just wondering how long does it take for hair to stop shedding and growing back after the last taxol treatment?

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    edited May 2019
    Options

Justme, I started Taxol 4/26 and my hair started growing back. My oncologist said this past week it will continue to. I'm about a good half inch all around. It's currently light blonde and very soft and wispy. MO said that won't be the permanent texture or color so I'm curious to see how it progresses. My hair prior to chemo grew pretty fast. I'm hoping that hasn't changed.

• bheg79
    bheg79 Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2019
    Options

Justme1964 - I also cold capped with Paxman - my crown is where I thinned the most (almost bald up the rest) and I’d say within 2 months of my last infusion it had filled in really well - now it’s just trying to style all these different lengths of hair lol plus the chemo curl - but I am thankful to have kept about 75% of my hair - I honestly feel like my hair is coming back thicker and more healthy than before I was diagnosed - I finished chemo the end of October and just started blow drying and taking warm showers the beginning of April and I feel like my shedding is back to a normal rate

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2019
    Options

I never lost all my hair, although I did lose about 60% -70% with definitely bald spots and what is there is pretty sparse. I don’t think I’ve lost any since my second TCHP treatment and I just had my 5th treatment on May 14th. What is left has definitely grown a little (I had buzzed it when it started coming out in clumps) but I haven’t noticed any new growth. I’m hoping new growth will happen shortly after my last treatment on June 6th. What is others experience with TCHP and timing for new growth

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited May 2019
    Options

guys! I went to the hair salon! I actually went through with the appointment this time!!!!!

Only almost cried like 3 times while there. omg wtaf is wrong with me??! It's hair. I seriously liked it bald more than I like it now & I worried about it way less all my life (& I've had some super duper hair disasters and perms and other total misfires) but now suddenly the thought of trimming 2 mm makes me weepy? I was gonna post here for support but I didn't have the passwords stored on my phone lol....Anyway...

She put in a bunch of foil highlights and toned it all over with a cool blond. I still have a fair bit of root showing through which I like so I'm glad about that. The yellow is pretty much gone now in most lights but i suspect the toner will wash out of those hairs faster so I might have more multitonal highlights in a few weeks

Here you go, another picture of my ear 😂

this is 10 months PFC, first hair cut, trimmed only the neckline (scroll up a few days ago to see what it was like at 9 months with absolutely no cutting at all)

As far as cutting, all we ended up doing was just the neck hairline. She just trimmed and cleaned all that up and left the rest. She blow dried it smooth and it's not really me (kind of prissy looking tbh; I sort of feel like a presidential candidate instead of like Pink! or Scarlett Johanssen which is more the look I aspire to) but it was interesting to see another way to it and this showed how much length there is so that was nice. She left the ears because it's almost long enough to comb over for a fake mini flapper bob.... or I can put a wispy sideburn forward and tuck the rest. Apparently the long sideburn thing is trendy now so there's that.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited May 2019
    Options

It looks really pretty Moth!

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,799
    edited May 2019
    Options

Moth, that is so attractive!

• Yndorian
    Yndorian Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2019
    Options

Moth: I like it! Well done!

• Yndorian
    edited May 2019
    Options

My hair grew during taxol is rough and lifeless, like a mat. Probably I should to shave it again, but I don't wanna go bald to de surgery! I know they won't allow me to use my wig and I think I won't to be able to put me a scarf with just one arm, so I'll keep it

• krose53
    krose53 Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2019
    Options

Mine was six weeks. I started getting some clear, translucent bristles of hair. Last about 4 wks and all fell out. Back to baldness. About 2 or 3 wks later real hair started coming in

• Toni_S
    Toni_S Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2019
    Options

I am two months out from my last chemo and no hair growth yet. I have stubble, but I've had that all during treatment. I am starting to panic, if there's nothing after 2 months does this mean permanent hair loss? Anyone have their hair grow back later than 2 months post treatment? I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now

• Kat22
    Kat22 Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2019
    Options

Toni: Fear not. Mine took at least that long to start coming back. I was worried, too, that it might be permanent. I finished chemo mid-September and now it's sbout an inch long on the top and longer everywhere else. It's slow, but getting there. Thinking about a trim just to give it some shape.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    edited June 2019
    Options

moth--I'm only just seeing this and I think you look wonderful (particularly your ear). I'm also 10 months PFC, but kept my hair super short until about three months ago--the chemo curl was making me crazy. I think I'm at about 1.5-2" now and have my first Big Hair Appointment (well--not Big Hair but Big Appointment--cut and color) at the end of the month. I bet she won't cut much off cuz I really want it to grow out but I'm looking forward to getting it lighter. She said it likely won't be long enough for highlights, but all-over color (which I've never done!) will help, I hope.

For those of you waiting for hair to grow, I stopped wearing head gear about 12 weeks PFC. It wasn't quite as long as I'd hoped but I had a business trip and didn't feel like packing baseball caps. It's typical for soft, light fuzz to grow in first. When something more like normal hair returns, I know a lot of people are surprised by the color, often because they've been coloring/highlighting it for so long they're not sure what their actual color is. Toni--if you can at all avoid it, try not to look every day. Once a week might make the change more noticeable.

• Yndorian
    edited June 2019
    Options

imageI'm 37 days PFC and these bands are now my new best friends. I had an Homer Simpson's during AC, it slowly became a Burt Simpson's and now is almost a Lisa Simpson's. I will have a cut when I get a Marge Simpson's! LOL

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,799
    edited June 2019
    Options

Yndorian, that is a thick head of hair! You are doing good!

Eleven weeks PFC (taxol only)

• BellasMomToo
    BellasMomToo Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2019
    Options

Toni, I didn't have any hair growth until 3 months PFC. I didn't have enough hair to go w/o covering until 8 months PFC. So don't give up hope!

• Yndorian
    edited June 2019
    Options

Mary: thank you, yours looks great!

Toni: My hair was growing during taxol so it has a weird texture because of the drug. I didn't shave it because I don't wanna be bald when I finally have my surgery, something is better than nothing, but I think that the really good hair starting to grow up when the body is detoxified, so be patient. You will there!

• GoMama
    GoMama Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2019
    Options

sorry I can't read through 25,848 posts, so I have to ask

I had my second infusion of Taxotere nine days ago. I didn't completely lose my hair during the first cycle. What are the chances it will stay thin? Am I going to lose the rest next week?

• biscuits
    biscuits Member Posts: 2,158
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hello GoMama! After my second infusion, my hair was very, very thin. I had shaved it down pretty short by then. Looking back through my photos, right after the third infusion, I was totally bald. Everyone is different through the hair shedding process. Hang in there!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2019
    Options

same here biscuits. I had mine super short by 3rd treatment. My scalp was so sore by then it was actually a relief to have even the shorter hair gone. I was fortunate to have stubble growing pretty quickly. Everyone is definitely different.!

Go mamma, once you are done with treatment talk to your MO about what supplements are OK to take. I started alternating biotin and a hair skin and nails vitamin as soon as treatment was complete. I also used a gentle clarifying shampoo and argan oil during treatment. Keep the scslp clean and hair follicles clear. Argan oil kept my scalp hydrated and soff. Hang in there. You will get through this!!

• fairchild
    fairchild Member Posts: 138
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hey, y'all, I thought I'd share a bit of information I got a couple of weeks ago.

It's been more than 9 months since I had my last chemo treatment, and I've been really concerned about my hair growth, or lack of it. Friends treated around the same time have far more hair, and I only have about an inch in all these months. I finally broke down and consulted a dermatologist here who has done research on chemo-related hair loss. She examined me and took a good history. She said my hair is growing, but it was probably significantly delayed because I was so nauseated during and for 4 months after chemo that I lost about 40-45 lbs. When you lose that much weight, she said, your hair just stops growing for the time being. She checked my head and said it clearly is growing now but might continue to be slow for a while longer. I thought that information might be helpful to others like me whose hair is very slow to come back.

• beesy_the_other_one
    beesy_the_other_one Member Posts: 170
    edited September 2019
    Options

Fairchild,

It makes sense that extreme weight loss would affect hair growth. It's my understanding that Herceptin will also slow hair growth, so that may be adding to your issue. I had my last chemo 12/26/18 and my hair is maybe 1 ½" long at its longest.

It's looking like one section of my eyelashes is lost forever--another casualty, but I'm alive!

*edited verb agreement!

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited September 2019
    Options

I'm 80 days pfc and have about a quarter inch of hair in most places. It's still a little patchy but closing in pretty quickly now. Still you can see my scalp everywhere. It is very straight so far and sticks straight up from my head.

Though I'm a bit frustrated at how slow it was to start, I think by a month from now my head will be covered enough, it will almost look like I wanted a super-short hair cut. And by the end of the year there should be enough to actually have a good hair cut done.

Some people have asked if I'll keep it short then. How could I possibly know?!?

• Newfromny
    Newfromny Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thank you for your post. I’m about 7 months from chemo and hair growth is very slow, at best I’m 1 inch growth, and still really thin in some spots especially the back of my head. I started out about 125 weight and went as low as 102, I was terribly nauseous during chemo. I’m slowly gaining weight at about 114 nowbut I do think the hair growth is slower for me than most.

• Pommom1809
    Pommom1809 Member Posts: 161
    edited September 2019
    Options

I lost all of my hair from the chemo, some started growing back, but Taxol took it away again. All chemo was done by March 27, but my hair is growing very slowly. It’s coming in curly & frizzy, needs shaping..

I lost 30 pounds or more, but the chemo never made me sick. I can’t seem to gain weight yet, I hover between 105 - 114 pounds. I don’t know if this has any effect on my hair growth. I did have hair loss before the cancer. I used Rogaine daily, but I may not use it any longer. I like wearing wigs, don’t have to fidget with my hair. They aren’t uncomfortable or hot depending what kind one gets. If my hair eventually grows I’ll keep it short.

Doris

• orangedaisy
    orangedaisy Member Posts: 129
    edited October 2019
    Options

I visited this thread in the early stages of hair growing back and found it helpful. I’m 22 months PFC, and my hair is close to its original texture and color. It might be a little less coarse and thick, but I still have lots of wavy hair.

Before chemo - mostly my natural color (color had been growing out for 8 months)

3 months after chemo - stopped wearing hats (hated wigs)

9 months after chemo with chemo curl and hardly any dark

22 months after chemo highlites and lowlites, but no base color

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You look beautiful OrangeDaisy!!
  • Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    edited October 2019
    Options

OrangeDaisy: you look younger than your "before" picture! How many haircuts did you need to make your hair look straight? Mine is coming very curly and I don't want to cut it ... but I don't know what to do with it either!

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    edited October 2019
    Options

I have to say Orangedaisy, that I really like the 3 month picture. Of course also the 22 month one. But there is something about the 3 month. I also hated the wig and wore it just once