Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo in Sept 08

Options

Comments

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited August 2008
    Options

Susan, please have someone with you during your first session.  I hope to have my dad with me - he really gives me great comfort.  It's ok to feel weepy; I have mini/maxi meltdowns almost everyday.  All it takes is someone being kind to me and I turn into a blubbering, snotty mass of goo! So much is happening so fast to us and we're so into researching everything that we kind of distance ourselves from what's actually happening - and when it happens, reality has a way of getting vivid fast.  My sister-in-law (a God send and amazing story for later) told me that I need to take the airline approach; when the oxygen masks fall, place it on your face first and make sure that it's working and then assist those around you.  I'm so used to taking care of my family's needs first, that I take care of me second.  Well Sis-in-law has shown me the errors of my ways!  She told me to take care of myself first and then let everyone else do their own thing.  I need to alleviate pressure (mostly self induced), not make any decisions (leave that to others), and chill out as much as possible.  I can take care of myself at this point (actually do not like other hovering over me asking what they can do [no decisions!]), I just don't want to be expected to take care of anyone else (husband - he's capable of taking care of himself).

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2008
    Options

Here ya'll!  I'll take a cue from Nancy and our 'Surgery in July thread' and make us a list here.  Smile Chemo Dates:

Sept 02 - Jacuelyn32  TC or TAC

Sept 02 - kmg1015  TC x6

Sept 03 -  Priz47    A/C (Port inserted Aug. 28)

Sept 03 - 2z54   (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 04 - Emily2008   A/C x4 

Sept 05 - yuyueno  TC x6 every three weeks (Port  placed Sept. 29)

Sept 09 - Tanzie   A/C x4  two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 15 - Sue508    TC x4  three weeks between

Sept ?? - Curlieqz 

Sept ?? -bettysgirl    FEC+T

So, that makes 10 of us so far.  If anyone else comes along we can add them.  We also can change and add as we need to, and as treatment dates are found out.

I hope everyone starting treatment this week has a wonderful extended holiday.  I'll be thinking of you ladies as your days come up.  Thanks so much for being here and sharing.

Tanz

• Alicia
    Alicia Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2008
    Options

Hi again, everyone. I'm learning so much from this post. I ended up ordering from Headcovers.com, too. What a great site. And yes, Biotene can be bought in OTC in regular drug stores. I got mine at CVS.

I feel like an impostor here since I started in August, but with all the talk about anticipation, I wanted to share my positive experience. I had my second AC treatment Thursday, with few side effects other than a bit more fatigue than the first time.

Also, as they warned me, my hair is starting to come out pretty swiftly after the second treatment. It actually hasn't fazed me that much - I just can't help thinking, this means the chemo's working! Having dealt with unwanted hair in the past, I had actually been thinking I would be the only breast cancer patient on earth who's hair didn't fall out! 

• Emily2008
    Emily2008 Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2008
    Options

See, now that's intersting, Alicia.  Your hair started falling out out after the 2nd treatment, but others experienced it about 2 weeks after the first.  Why is there such a difference?  I met a lady whose hair fell out 2 weeks to the day from when she had her first txt.  So I was thinking that around the 18th I'd be bald (or balding), but now I'm wondering if it will be longer than that.  I just want to get this over with!!!!

BTW, Themissinglink, I'm the same way.  Anybody, anyplace, anytime who is kind to me, looks me in the eye and says something nice---forget about it---I just dissolve into tears.  It's very uncharacteristic of me since I've never been much of a cryer.  I'm sure making up for it these days!

• curlieqs
    curlieqs Member Posts: 806
    edited August 2008
    Options

Tanzie, that is awesome you put the schedule together. I was going to do that but you beat me to the punch Laughing Thank you!

Alicica I like your attitude about your hair falling out. I always hated my hair and now that it will be going, I decided I want to keep it! Isn't that how it ususally goes, huh. I will check out headcovers.com, thanks.

Missing wink, good advice, thank you. Sometimes we all need a reminder that right now we need to be the first priority. It is in our nature as women to worry and take care of everyone else, but now it is time for us to take care of  ourselves. That is one thing I learned throughout all this, I have to worry about me too.....not just those around me who I love.

One day at a time..................

~~~Have a good day to all and take care of you~~

K

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited August 2008
    Options

Tanzie,

Thanks so much for the schedule!  I'm going to print it out so I can keep up with everyone.

Alicia - thanks for posting and don't feel like an imposter. I think it is wonderful how ladies who have already begun chemo post and try to help those of us who are about to begin. It really helps sooo much!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Susan

• woorus
    woorus Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi

I am new here and everything is happening so fast.

Saw my breast doctor 21 Aug, had a bilateral masectomy done 22 Aug and start chemo 8 Sep (4 x every 3 weeks) followed by (12 x every 1 week). Everything is so unfamiliar and uncertain but everyone on this forum is so positive and quick with knowing what to do and how to help one another. Have not done any shopping, got my hair cut, seen dentist. I am going away on a short trip (2 - 5 Sep) - is that ok? We just felt the family would like this break before chemo starts.

Thank you so much. 

Sam

• Sue508
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Sam,

Welcome!  It's nice to have you although I'm sorry for the circumstances!  Things have happened fast for you - I feel like things are dragging for me.  I want to get this over with. 

About your trip - we, too, are taking a family trip (well, depending on the hurricanes) next week before I begin chemo Sept. 15.  I think your short trip is a great idea if you feel up to it.

I have a question for everyone - does anyone know how long the first treatment should last?  I'm sure not everyone will be the same and I think I've read that they do things more slowly for the first treatment to watch for reactions, etc., but I was wondering about how long.  Also, what do you plan to bring with you?  I've read about blankets, snacks, etc.  I imagine I'll bring a couple of snacks and water, but is a blanket necessary?  Shouldn't the infusion center (?) have that?  Lastly, have any of you been given prescriptions of anything to take before your first treatment?  I've been given nothing.  I plan to call Tues. since we'll be out of town next week to see if I need to get anything first.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm finally remembering my questions.

Susan 

• Tanzie
    edited September 2008
    Options

Sept ChemoChicks!

(Adding woorus.  So, sorry you have to be here, but so glad you stopped in! )

Sept 02 - Jacuelyn32 TC or TAC

Sept 02 - kmg1015 TC x6

Sept 03 - Priz47 A/C (Port inserted Aug. 28)

Sept 03 - 2z54 (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 04 - Emily2008 A/C x4

Sept 05 - yuyueno TC x6 every three weeks (Port placed Sept. 29)

Sept 08 - woorus  6 tx every three weeks

Sept 09 - Tanzie A/C x4 two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 15 - Sue508 TC x4 three weeks between

Sept ?? - Curlieqz

Sept ?? -bettysgirl FEC+T

You girls please let me know if I need to add anything!

• Tanzie
    edited September 2008
    Options

A trip away before all this starts sounds wonderful.  Unfortunately, it's just not possible for my bunch. :/  I hav, however been promised a trip to Disney once all this mess is over!  Laughing

As for how long it will take-- well, my Onco said that mine would take on average about 3 1/2 hours.  He said to be prepared to spend more time the first time around, since they would be setting up and making sure I don't have some strange reactions to anything.  

Hubby will be going with me the first time around, but he will be bringing his laptop, so....

I plan on bringing a book, and perhaps my MP3 player loaded with some podcasts.  Maybe some word finds or even a coloring book and colored pencils.   I LOVE to color. (Don't laugh! It's very therapeutic!   And actually Amazon has some great coloring books geared towards adults that are pretty elaborate.)

Snacks- Yes, since I've read that it's better to keep something on your stomach.  I've also read lots about Popsicles and icy things to prevent mouth sores?   I guess this would involve a small cooler?  Maybe just a large Sonic Route 44 with that wonderful pelleted ice would work?

Sue, you'll get a 'script for Amend, I'm sure.   I got mine last Tues and already have it filled.  I was told not to take it, but to bring it with me...     

Well.. I'm off for the night.  We're keeping an eye on Gustav here, though it looks like he'll come in west of us.

Nite ladies!

Tanz

• Wink
    edited September 2008
    Options

Please add me Tanzie, I don't know the exact date, but it will be in Sept.

Donna 

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hello BC Sisters~

On the Forum "Chemotherapy: Before, During and After" there is a thread "pinned" to the top of the first page called "More Tips (and a shopping list) for Getting Through Chemo". It was brilliantly crafted by a sister in the May '08 group and it is about as complete a guide as I've seen on these boards. I will "bump" it to the first page of the boards for the next few days so ya'll have a chance to see it.  You sound like a great group of ladies, sorry for the reason you are here, but WELCOME! You came to the right place.

Nico

• yuyueno
    yuyueno Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2008
    Options

Tanzie,

Thanks for the Chimo Chicks list! Great!

• Tanzie
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Sept ChemoChicks!

(Adding TheMissingWink -- Love the nick, Donna! :)

Sept 02 -   Jacuelyn32    TC or TAC

Sept 02 -   kmg1015    TC x6

Sept 03 -   Priz47    A/C (Port inserted Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   2z54    (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 04 -   Emily2008    A/C x4

Sept 05 -   yuyueno    TC x6 every three weeks (Port placed Sept. 29)

Sept 08 -   woorus     6 tx every three weeks

Sept 09 -   Tanzie    A/C x4 two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 15 -   Sue508    TC x4 three weeks between

Sept ?? -   Curlieqz

Sept ?? -   bettysgirl    FEC+T

Sept ?? -   TheMissingWink

You girls please let me know if I need to add.

Thanks yuyu!   I can't take all the credit though.   We had a similar list for my July Surgery group, and it made it so much easier to keep up with everyone.    And when Kelly (kmg1015) mentioned writing down everyone's names, I was like 'doh!'--  The List!

Also,  thanks for the bump, Nico.  I really appreciate all of you that have/and are going through this stopping by to offer support.  It sucks that I'm having to run this race, but at least the company is good.   (I hope that made sense! Undecided)

Tanz

• Alicia
    Alicia Member Posts: 17
    edited September 2008
    Options

To clarify, Emily, my treatments are two weeks apart. It's called a dose-dense regimen. So my hair did start falling out two weeks after the first treatment, which coincided with the second treatment. But the second treatment seemed to accelerate things. 

Woorus, congratulations on getting through the bilateral mastectomy! It was my surgery, too, and I'll never regret it. I only wish I'd gone to the dentist like you did. When I asked my oncologist if I could get a cleaning now, the answer was NO!

• floridamom
    floridamom Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2008
    Options

hello all...Sadly I have now joined the club.

Got my port in last friday and starting my first TAC chemo treatment tomorrow..I read an article about the benefits of fasting before chemo.  I was thinking of giving it a try..anybody else hear of this?

• Barbeqrn
    Barbeqrn Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2008
    Options

I had 6 treatments of TC which ended late Oct....I found that "Hip Hats with Hair" was a great alternative to wigs.  It was really comfortable and I wore mine every weekend under a ball cap!  It looks like a ponytail and no one ever knew I had "fake hair" on.  I wish all of you the best and hope the side effects are minimal.  Barb

• Barbeqrn
    Barbeqrn Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2008
    Options

FloridaMom,

I always got gastritis post chemo so  I ate bland stuff prior...what part of Fl are you from?  I am from Tampa!  I have not heard about fasting though!  Barb

• Wink
    edited September 2008
    Options

FloridaMom,

EMPTY STOMACHS MAY EQUAL BETTER TREATMENT 
    Apparently, what you eat -- or don't eat -- seems to affect chemotherapy treatments. At the University of Southern California, researchers will ask patients to fast for two days before chemo treatments. (However, please don't attempt to fast before chemotherapy treatment on your own, doctors say. This USC effort is part of a carefully monitored medical study.) Why are they doing this? Because testing with lab mice has revealed that mice with empty stomachs given a high dose of chemotherapy did much better after the treatment than normally fed mice. Test-tube experiments with human cells that were deprived of nutrients to simulate starvation have met with similar results.
    Here's the theory behind the study: When deprived of food, healthy cells go into "lockdown" mode, researchers say, protecting themselves by becoming more resistant to exterior stresses. Cancer cells, however, never go into lockdown because, by nature, they are constantly looking to grow. Therefore, during chemo, healthy cells stay healthy after fasting, but cancer cells remain subject to elimination. USC is planning to test this fasting theory in the fall on humans with lung and bladder cancer.

My father sent me this article from USA today about fasting two days before chemo.  

• floridamom
    floridamom Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2008
    Options

I am from the east coast of Florida.  Our weekend newspaper, Florida Today, has a little magazine titled, USA Weekend.  Inside was an article, Fight Worth Winning, that mentioned a study done on rats.  These rats were straved before their first chemo treatment.  The deprived rats faired much better than rats that ate before their treatment.  Researchers are just now studying this theory on people.  Just wanted to know if anyone has done this before.

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Ladies...I am joining this Sept. '08 chemo group also. I will be receiving my first of 4 TC treatments on Sept. 8. I am not getting a port...was told I have good veins and only need 4 treatments. Let's hope that's the case.

This site has been such a great source of information and support the past couple of months. Hang tough and good luck to you all.

• curlieqs
    edited September 2008
    Options

Just a note to say I will be thinking of you Jackie, Florida Mom, and kmg1015 for your first treatment tomorrow. I hope all goes well. Get plenty of rest tonight.

Good night to all and take care of you.

K

• Sue508
    edited September 2008
    Options

thinking of you ladies who are starting today!  Hope everything goes smoothly!!  (((((((())))))))

Susan

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi all,

I am in California and am having a re-excision and port put in on Friday, 9/5. I felt a lump in May and am finally getting close to starting tx. My tumor was 2 cm, IDC, nodes clear. I haven't heard yet about ER, PR or HER2 status. I think I am having 6 treatments. I read the May 08 chemo posts, so I have already picked up my pre-chemo stuff. I've ordered hats, scarves and wigs. I love all the support I have seen here.

Juli

• Tanzie
    edited September 2008
    Options

Adding floridamom, Lili46, and Juli50!

Looks like this is going to be a busy month for chemo. :/

Sept ChemoGals!

Sept 01 -   FloridaMom     TAC (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 02 -   Jacuelyn32    TC or TAC

Sept 02 -   kmg1015    TC x6

Sept 03 -   Priz47    A/C (Port inserted Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   2z54    (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 04 -   Emily2008    A/C x4

Sept 05 -   yuyueno    TC x6 every three weeks (Port placed Sept. 29)

Sept 08 -   woorus     6 tx every three weeks

Sept 08 -   Lili46    TC x4

Sept 09 -   Tanzie    A/C x4 two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 15 -   Sue508    TC x4 three weeks between

Sept ?? -   Curlieqz

Sept ?? -   bettysgirl    FEC+T

Sept ?? -   TheMissingWink

Sept ?? -   Juli50    (Port placed 9/05)

You girls please let me know if I need to add.

• Tanzie
    edited September 2008
    Options

There will be 7 of us that start tx this week. 

Just want you all to know that you're in my prayers.  I know we can never really know how things will go, but I'm praying for the best for all of you.   ((HUGZ))

Tomorrow, I myself will be going to the PS for a check up on an infection that I've been fighting in my left expander.  Frown  I'm scared to death this thing won't heal and I'll end up having to have it out--- or that its going to delay my chemo.

Thursday, my MUGA scan.

The plan is to have treatment and exchange surgery before the new year and my insurance's deductible rolls back around!   We have an MSA, with a 8,700 out of pocket before it will pay *anything*.  The OOP is more for out of network doc, which my PS is so....

Anyway, guess I shouldn't be borrowing trouble.  I've got enough like it is. Undecided

Tanz

• curlieqs
    edited September 2008
    Options

Priz and 2z54 good wishes sent to you for tomorrow.

Sorry Tanzie and hope the infection is clearing up. That is a bummer. The insurance deal is stressful as if the added stress is needed! I feel like I am on the phone alot questioning charges (I supposedly had an MRI of the brain too after my breat MRI, funny I don't remember that, maybe I NEED one! LOL!) Anyway, I hope you can get as much done this year as you can to avoid those pesky out of pocket expenses. Why do you need a MUGA if you don't mind me asking, in prep for the chemo? Take care. Smile

K

• yuyueno
    yuyueno Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2008
    Options

Just wanted to send positive thoughts and prayers to Jacuelyn and kmg who are having first tx today!  Hope your treatment is going well, and let us know what it was like. I am really worked up for this Friday when I am receiving my first tx.  I am really scared.... 

I had my port placed last Friday, I am having a little bit of hard time getting used to it.  It still hurts a lot when I move my arm.  Does anyone have the same issue?

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2008
    Options

I'll start FAC on Sept 10 for four months, then Taxol 1 x weekly for 12 weeks...

I'm glad to be in a group with so many awesome people! 

• curlieqs
    edited September 2008
    Options

Welcome the prettiest mess. You and Sue 508 have the best avatar! Thanks for the smile.............

K