Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo in Sept 08

Options

Comments

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thanks again K :)  Welcome, ThePrettiestMess - love the name!

Susan

• kmg1015
    kmg1015 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone.  I started with TC today and didn't have too much trouble.  I had a slight reaction they think to the Taxotere.  Just some itching, blotchiness and fuzzy vision.  It meant a little extra time to do some other meds, but nothing horrible.  I would describe the feeling tonight as just plain wierd.  I feel like I can feel all of my veins and they are just heavier.  The thing I notice the most is my mouth feels different, also kind of heavy.  Not really metallic yet but just a strange taste.  I would hope that this would mean I am out of the woods, but apparently the side effects of TC peak at day 3-4, so I have my fingers crossed. 

Yuyueno, I also thought the port was a little tougher to adjust to.  I had mine put in a week ago and it was still sore this morning. 

Good luck to Emily tomorrow and Yuyueno on Thursday!

• horselover
    horselover Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hello all!  I guess I fit right in with this group. I had my port put in my chest Fri. Aug. 29th.  Which I was told was a easy oper., but due to the antistesia  sp?? My half hour oper. ending up taking from 9:20AM to 2:30AM.  The drugs don't get along with my body.  I was in recovery 7 hours after my unilateral masectomy, too.   So, needless to say I am VERY nervous about the chemo, which I start tom. on Sept. 3rd, like several of you other ladies.  My body don't like the anastesia so how is it going take all those chemicals??  They wanted me to do a clinical trial with the avastin, but it could have extended my chemo time up to 8 months to a year, depending on which arm I got.  Instead of the 4 months with the Adriamycin and cytoxan 4 X every 2 weeks, and then taxol 4 x every 2 weeks.  I could not financially afford the drive or my husband missing more work, so I opted for the regular dose most women get, according to my chemo Dr.  Is this what most women are getting??  I have stage 3 cancer, and I'm 40 years old.  They say its very aggressive and rapidly spreading.  I have had a pet scan that shows clear.  No bone scan, don't know why??  Says my risk of reoccurrence with chemo and my 6 1/2 weeks of rads following will be 15- 20 %.  Without 45 %- 50% .   The Dr. recommends I don't even ride my horses while on chemo, and that just SUCKS!  I don't think I will listen.  I rode a little over 3 weeks after masectomy with immediate recon with expander.   I rode the day after my port was put in.   I don't know how I will deal with not being able to ride.  He scared the crap out of me with the "what ifs".    I hope I didn't make a mistake about not chosing the clinical trial with the avastin, also.   My Dr. also told me right out to cut my hair off now, and don't think I'm going to be the miracle person that doesn't lose there hair.  He said I will lose it by the second treatment.  I had long naturally wavy blonde hair down to my thighs.  I cut 14 inches off before the masectomy, because I didn't think I would be able to comb it (good thing I did, with that lack of arm usage).   Now its at my lower back, and I guess I will wait till just after the first treatment to cut it up to my shoulders, and then the last miserable step of shaving it all off.  My Dr. even said I may lose my fingernails too........ and to top it off, after all this I should think about having my ovaries removed too!!!!! 

Good Luck to All!! 

• jacquelyn32
    jacquelyn32 Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Everyone and I want to say welcome to the new ones. I saw lili46 had joined the group. There is a lot things going on this week. I will keeping everyone in my thougths and prayers. It definitely has helped me get through this situation.  Tanzie, I hope everything will go well at the appt. hopefully they can give a strong antibiotic to fight the infection. Also, thanks for making the list and dates of who will be starting what on what date. It's very helpful. Priz47, I will thinking of you as you start AC tomorrow. This day was better than I had expected. I was there for awhile (5 hours start to finish) The nurse was great!!! She went over everything. She started me with ativan to help calm the nerves which helped. Then I got Decadron to help with the swelling from taxotere and any side effects that may occur. I did not have allergic reactions. So that was great news. The Taxotere took abouth 1 1/2 hours and then I got Cytoxan and that took about 30 minutes and again no side effectes. Oh, I forgot, I also got Aloxi with the Decadron. The Aloxi helps with nausea. I didn't have a problem with eating afterwards. I feel great. I did get up early this morning to walk. My day was so much better than I had expected. Do not let yourself get upset over this. If you are nervous, let the doctor know and they can give you medicine the help you relax. I have had my port in for 3 weeks which made it painless. The nurse said sometimes the port can be sensitive if you get it put it in within a week but they can spray it with some freeze spray so just ask for it. I did, even though. it had been three weeks and it didn't hurt. I probably won't use it next  time since she said it can make the skin sensitive. I will keep everyone in my prayers and yuyueno, I was nervous too and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Just think positive thoughts.

Best wishes to all !!!

• curlieqs
    curlieqs Member Posts: 806
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thanks Jackie and kmg for the updates and glad you are doing well. Horselover, I am so sorry you had a rough recovery time from the anesthesia. I pray for you that tomorrows chemo will go off without a hitch...... without any complications. Stay positive! As far as not chosing the clinical trial, as a friend once told me, whatever decision you make is the right one for alot of thought has been put into it. Don't look back, just deal with what today brings. Have a good rest tonight and let us know how it goes tomorrow...........you too priz and 2z54 Smile

K

• yuyueno
    yuyueno Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi, Jackie and KMG.

I am glad you both had no-so-bad first tx!  Such a relief to hear that your experience was with no major problems.  I really hope you will be with no major side effects for next few days. 

Hi, and welcome Horselover.  I was also told I have stage 3 cancer and it's very agressive.  But, like yours, my CT scan came clear with no apparent lymph nodes activity.  But, I guess it is still considered stage 3 cancer...? I think some doctors like to be on a bit pessimistic side...  My thoughts and prayers are with you, good luck tomorrow with your tx. 

Yuyu

• cjh
    cjh Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2008
    Options

Dear September Girls,

Just got a call from Mayo Clinic and I am cleared for their clinical trial on September 9th! I start Chemo that afternoon and am so greatful as I have a cancer that appeared overnight in the size of a lemon and spread to the nodes in less than 2 weeks accoding to MRI scans. I so want to know about side effects as I have clients scheduled for the day after chemo...I may be in denial, but think because I had a total of 20 seconds of morning sickness with four pregnancies and felt a little "uncomfortable" during natural delivery that I will be spared the chemo side effects.  My back up plan is for Yoga and total denial...I think defenses when carefully chosen can serve us well...

• drcrisc
    drcrisc Member Posts: 134
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Women!

Just popping in from the May 08 group to give some support and maybe some new advice.  I just finished 4 rounds of Carboplatin/Cytoxan and am now on weekly Taxotere for 12 weeks. 

1) If you are prone to constipation, be ware and get ahead of it.  I found a plum juice made from the same plums they use in prune juice and it worked fine as long as I took it 1-2 days ahead. 

2) Biotene is a must (or something like it) - I've never had severe mouth sore, but any time my mouth feels a little funky, I rinse with it. 

3) Someone mentioned a while back that she was getting "regular" toothbrushes and going to dispose of them every couple of weeks.  Great idea and do the same with disposable razors.  I've had 2 staph infections (just regular staph) and one was because of my razor. 

I noticed there is a Kelly (hey!) - that is one of my dd's names and like you, Kelly, I have been the "keeper of the schedule" for the May group.  I don't mind at all and it has helped us to know who is going when on a given week.  Support each other - that's been the most helpful part!  And feel free to visit us or PM me if you need/want any more info!

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Ladies, Tanzie thanks for pointing me in this direction, yes please add me to the list for September.  I am due to start my 2nd round of chemo tomorrow 4th Sept.  I have already had 6 x TC and then my surgery 3 weeks ago, 2 x lumpect and 28 lymph nodes out. 10 were still positive so I am getting another blast just incase there are any nasty cells hanging around!  This time I am on FAC, so lets swap stories and support each other.  I will say to anyone who hasn't had chemo yet, don't panic, a lot of what goes on is in our heads, my last round although not pleasant, wasn't so bad and I managed to still enjoy my life and do all sorts of wonderful things on my good days, which was most of the time.  Although we will all have bad days, try to stay positive and enjoy each day as it goes by.  I am lucky enough to have other chemo girls close by as I have joined a local breast cancer support group, but for those who can't, you will really benefit from this group, it's fantastic and no worry or question is too small. Come of girls, stand tall and keep smiling, we can beat this!  Chris

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2008
    Options

Cj, so sorry to hear how fast your cancer appeared, it must have been shocking. Don't worry you are in the right place for questions.  Just as a guide, last time I have TC, I felt pretty good the day of chemo, day 2 was also pretty good and I could go out with my husband, walk the dog, but went early to bed.  Day 3 I began to feel tired and had a fuzzy head, then day 4 and 5 I was completely exhausted and bearly moved from my chair, except for many toilet trips as we should all be drinking an enormous amount of fluid to flush the chemicals out of our bodies.  I then began to pick up on day 6 and 7, and by day 10 I was completely normal again and had 11 days of doing anything I wanted.  Not sure how I am going to do this time as the drugs are different, but even though I am having my new round tomorrow, I am planning to have lunch with my husband and we have a dinner in the evening and a few things on over the weekend.  Listen to your body and if you feel alright, do anything you like. Don't get over tired though as you need your strengh to fight the cancer and the chemicals.  Good Luck.  Chris

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thank you, curlieqs! I've always loved Pigpen...thank goodness we still don't have Smell-a-Vision, though...!

• jacquelyn32
    edited September 2008
    Options

kmg, I am sorry to hear that you had a reaction to the taxotere. Did they give a steroid before they started the taxotere? I hope you are feeling better today. I'll be thinking of you.

• jacquelyn32
    edited September 2008
    Options

Horselover, I know how you are feeling about the treatments. I met with 2 oncologist to get their opinions. The first oncologist was going to start me on AC  X 4 cycles then Taxol for 4 cycles. He was rushing me and I didn't have my drains out or port in and I didn't feel comfortable with him even though he was very nice and his staff was very thorough. Another lady I knew had breast cancer and told me about a doctor in Nashville. Ninety-five  percent of her patients are breast cancer patients. She is very clinical and research oriented. As far as studies go, she is on top of her game. She definitely did'nt rush me to get treatments started. She wanted to make sure I was well and healed before I began. I am involved in a clinical study where one arm gets Taxotere and Cytoxan and the other arm gets Adriamycin, Cytoxan, and Taxotere. I am getting the Taxotere and Cytoxan. I know there are several women getting Adriamycin, Cytoxan, and Taxol. It's important you feel comfortable with your treatment and your doctor. The doctor probably doesn't want you to ride horses because once you start taking chemo you do not have a lot of white blood cells to fight any infections you may get. You would be putting yourself at risk of getting something  or getting hurt. If you get sick or hurt, it will only delay your chemo treatments. The quicker you can get your treatments over with the soon you will be able to ride your beautiful horses again. We use to have horses and I enjoyed riding them too.

• jacquelyn32
    edited September 2008
    Options

Yuyueno, I hope you are doing okay. I noticed that you're diagnosis is IBC. If you look at the staging on this website, it states that IBC is considered at least stage IIIB. That may be why they told you that you are Stage III. I hope that helps. I am feeling fine today. I'll be thinking  and praying for you.  Jackie

• jacquelyn32
    edited September 2008
    Options

Chris, Thanks so much for the encouragement. I started my first round of chemo yesterday. I love your attitude and I know all of us can beat this. I am not going let it stop me from enjoying life. Life is too short. Thanks so much for sharing your story and being so strong for us.

Jackie

• HeatherL
    HeatherL Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2008
    Options

I have to join your group for a September chemo start.  Having my last scan Tomorrow and see the Dr on Tuesday for set-up.  My treatment plan is FEC x3 and Tx3 and Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year followed by radiation for 5 weeks.  Still have not heard about my port.  Dr said I might have to do one treatment before getting it.  Will let you know starting date soon.  Thanks for all the good tips and good luck to everybody starting there first treatment.

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2008
    Options

KMG and Jackie, thanks for the updates and the details! Glad things went well!  Hope y'all are feeling good today.

Welcome Horselover, CJ, Chris and Heather! Hope I didn't miss anyone.

I'm going for my regular haircut tomorrow (my hair is short anyway). I guess this will be the last cut for a good while. Once I get close to losing it (end of September, I'm guessing), I'll call my hairsylist and get it buzzed.

I called my dr. office today to see if I needed to get any prescriptions filled before my first treatment (Sept. 15, but we'll be out of town all next week).  She said I don't need anything filled beforehand (?).  That sounds different from others on this board (or maybe other boards I've been reading). 

Good luck to the ladies starting treatment today!

Susan

• 2z54
    2z54 Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Everyone!

Well, 1 down and 7 to go!  I just got back from my first round of chemo and picking up three different anti-nausea prescriptions (I really don't like nausea!) from the pharmacy.   Ate lunch, because I'm not really sure what I'll feel like at dinner time. But, so far, so good!  

Love reading everyone's posts. We're all going to be great!   Thanks for your support!

sue

• yuyueno
    yuyueno Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Sue,

Congrats on your finishing of first round of chemo!  It sounds like it went well! 

Susan,

I was given 4 different prescriptions beforehand.  They were all for nausea and vomiting, I think.  One was Steroid which is to take one day before and after the chemo, which supposed to help me with nausea.

Yuyu

• curlieqs
    curlieqs Member Posts: 806
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thanks drcrisc, singapore chris, and 2z54 for the tips and glad you are feeling well. Emily and Chris, I will be thinking of you tomorrow and good vibes sent your way!

Have a good day everybody, thanks for the positive thoughts and take care of you!

• carolbythecreek
    carolbythecreek Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2008
    Options

Just wanted to share my hair loss story. I listened and read with great worry about losing my hair, my identity. Then before I started chemo I cut my shoulder length hair to just at my ears. I took control. It was fine. 12 days after starting my FEC combo of drugs my hair started to fall out; clumps on my pillow, on my clothes, handfuls in the shower. I cried. I then shaved it to about 1/4 inch long, looked hard at myself and  realized how liberating this is. No more cutting, colouring, bad hair days. I put away my blowdryer and gel, pulled out my scarf and hat collection which my family has had fun donating to and away I went. I really look forward to seeing how my hair will look when it grows back in the meanwhile I consentrate on getting through my treatments and getting on with my life. I am still me.

• 2z54
    edited September 2008
    Options

great story, Carol by the Creek!  Just had dinner on chemo day 1.   Thought I was gonna lose it for a while, but took another anti-nausea med.  How come they don't mention the headache? Or am I the only one who gets that?  

Also.... I have Ativan and Composine and Kytril for nausea. Kytril I have to start tomorrow, but I can use the other two tonight.   Do any of you think one is better than the other? Should I really do both, or just when I really really need both?  Since this is day one of chemo 1, I thought I needed to ask. Thanks!

Oh... I'm going to be working from home during this chemo 'venture, but I've already got chemo brain (fog) - so this should be good!  I'll just lie down for a while now and watch the Repub convention. That should either make me laugh... or sleep!  Goodnight everyone!

Sue   

• 2z54
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thanks for the congrats yuyueno.  I'm happy to have gotten through the first chemo too!   I was on Adriamycin and Cytowhatever.   

It sounds like you may have gotten the same anti-nausea meds that I got.. but, they put the steroid in the intravenous for me this morning. Tomorrow I go back to get a shot of Neulasta... which I'm not looking all that forward to, but.... it keeps us healthy! 

Goodnight... and good luck!!!

Sue

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Tanzie, so sorry about the insurance issue.  I've probably fulfilled the max out of pocket, but the hospital that I work at starts their fiscal year in Oct, not only do I have to fulfill the max again, but we are switching to a new insurance company (I was not able to attend the meetings - was recovering from surgery) so will have to learn all of the new rules about deductibles and preferred providers....whine, whine, whine Cry
  • Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2008
    Options

Adding:   theprettiestmess, horselover, singaporechris, cjh, and HeatherL.

Wishing you welcome and so sorry for the circumsances that brought you here. 

Sept ChemoGals!

Sept 01 -   FloridaMom     TAC (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 02 -   Jacuelyn32    TC or TAC

Sept 02 -   kmg1015    TC x6

Sept 03 -   Priz47    A/C (Port inserted Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   2z54    (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   horselover     A/C x4 every two weeks  T x4 every two weeks  (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 04 -   SingaporeChris    FAC

Sept 04 -   Emily2008    A/C x4

Sept 05 -   yuyueno    TC x6 every three weeks (Port placed Sept. 29)

Sept 08 -   woorus     6 tx every three weeks

Sept 08 -   Lili46    TC x4

Sept 09 -   Tanzie    A/C x4 two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 09 -   cjh    

Sept 10 -   theprettiestmess     FAC & T

Sept 15 -   Sue508    TC x4 three weeks between

Sept ?? -   Curlieqz

Sept ?? -   bettysgirl    FEC+T

Sept ?? -   TheMissingWink

Sept ?? -   Juli50    (Port placed 9/05)

Sept ?? -   HeatherL       FEC x3 / T x3

You girls please let me know if I need to add, or if I've forgotten anything!

• Wink
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Tanzie,

I'm scheduled to have my port installed next Monday, chem to start w/i 2 weeks.  Onc is trying to decide which cocktail to give me.  Talked about Taxomere and  Cytoxin  or Carboplastin and Taxomere not sure of the length of course.  

• Tanzie
    edited September 2008
    Options

Heya TheMissingWink!

Thanks for letting me know, I'll add it next update.  It's crazy, but Firefox won't let me cut and paste, so I have to fire up Explorer to change the list without having to retype everything. Tongue out

A  big high five to the ladies that have already taken their first treatments.   It's so great to hear that everyone is doing well.   It continues to give me hope for myself!

And I say, welcome again to theprettiestmess, HeatherL, SingaporeChris, cjh and horselover!  This is a terrible way to have to get to know someone, but I'm glad to have the chance just the same.

My PS isn't sure exactly what is going on over here on my left side.   It hasn't gotten worse, but it isn't better either!  Errf.   I'm not running fever anymore, I don't have any 'leakage', and short of actually lookin/cuttin' there is no way to say for sure.  So, I stay on the antibiotics and we just keep a close eye on things.  

Good news is that he OK'd me for a fill today.  Whoo!  100 cc's per side.  I'm pretty uncomfortable, but it isn't anything I can't handle.   I was happy I was able to take so much, since I'll be going from once a week fills to every two weeks-- right before my tx, so my white cell counts will be at their highest in the cycle.

My nurse told me today that my PS is meeting with 8 ladies tomorrow for reconstruction. consults.   It seems they've seen an inordinately large amount of ladies dx with BC in the last few months..  She said that many of them were young.    :/  It just makes me sad....

Wink ;) --  We have met our deductable this year.  {{YES!}}  So, If can stay on plan-- my exchange and all chemo treatments will all be 100% covered.   Not to mention anything else that crops up between now and then!  lol  We've all gone to get check-ups, been to the dermatologist, ect.  Might as well, yanno?    It sucks rocks that you're having to start over in the middle of all this.  You won't have to change doctors or anything, will you?

Nite all!

Tanz

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Tanz, Glad to hear that your treatment will be covered, money is the last thing we need to worry about at the moment.  I passed my driving theroy test which I had yesterday, again not something I needed to worry about the day before my chemo, but it's over now.  I had my first dose of FAC today, my dh and I went out for lunch afterwards, did some shopping and came home, so far so good.  My urine turned bright red from the Adrimycine, but that is normal. A tip for everyone, sounds strange but it really works.

As all chemo is very toxic and can burn or irritate your skin when you have been to the toilet, use a barrier cream every day after your shower, I use it the day of chemo and for at least a week after. I found out the hard way with sores and rashes that drove me crazy, I suffered until round 3 before thinking of this, it works so well.  Use the kind of think you would put on a babies bottom!

Good Luck everyone and well done to Priz47, 2z54, so glad your first dose is over Hope Horselover and Emily2008 are doing well. Take care Chris

• Tanzie
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hey, that is a great tip!  I would have never though of that, Chris!

I'm heading out this weekend to buy my 'chemo supplies'.  I'll add Boudreaux's Butt Paste to the list.  It's wonderful stuff!  

Keeping you all in mind,

Tanz

• Wink
    edited September 2008
    Options

Where do you find Boudreaux's Butt Paste?  I'm going to try to start on my shopping list this weekend.  What about Witch Hazel wipes; do they provide relief and are they better to use as opposed to toliet paper?

Tanz, I don't think that I will have to change Docs.  There aren't any other oncologists that come to our little town ;-)