Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo in Sept 08

Options

Comments

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited September 2008
    Options

Also, is it a good thing to pick up some monostat to have on hand, just in case?

• jacquelyn32
    jacquelyn32 Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2008
    Options

I hope everyone is feeling well. I doing fine. Sometimes I feel a little sleepy but when I go to take a nap, I can't go to sleep. I haven't been sick at all. I hope everyone is doing okay. Emily2008, I will be thinking of you and hope your treatment goes smoothly. Yuyueno, you have the same treatment as I had on Tuesday. Thinks positive and hopefully you will not have any bad side effects from the taxotere and cytoxan. I just wanted to mention that there are flushable wipes made by cottonelle. I had a hard time finding flushable wipes but I found them at walmart. I know if you have urinary irritation sometimes a moist cool wipe feels better than toilet paper.

• zeppley
    zeppley Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2008
    Options

Dear FloridaMom,

I just read about fasting during chemo in Science magazine.  Here's the link  www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/321/5893/1146a.pdf.  The evidence is preliminary but the mechanism makes sense - your normal cells lie low while the cancer cells keep growing and are thus exposed to the chemo.  Sadly, the usual nausea isn't enough to trigger this response. I wish I had known about this when I had chemo in 2005-6!  I might have avoided the postchemo pain and fatigue that I still suffer.  If the article is gated, email me privately and I'll send it to you.

Best wishes,

zeppley

• curlieqs
    curlieqs Member Posts: 806
    edited September 2008
    Options

I am running super late today for work but wanted to drop a quick line. Thanks to all who already started chemo and letting us know you are all ok. I have my shopping list ready, thanks to everyone for the tips regading things to pick up and how to deal with hair loss. Yuyu good vibes sent your way for tomorrow and Julie, may your surgery go off without any probs and hope you recover quickly. Thinking and praying for all the sisters!

Take care everyone.

K

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2008
    Options

I get my first chemo tomorrow at 9AM EST!!!  I honestly can't wait!  Let the battle begin!  I've had enough talking and testing, let's start getting this thing outta here!

My son is a childhood cancer survivor, so I know what I'm going into.  My advice to everyone is to try to eat and especially drink. 

Also, from what I've heard, it is usually the second treatment that gets the hair, so I'll wait a bit on that one!

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2008
    Options

Adding BrandonMom to the list.   Welcome! 

Sept ChemoGals!

Sept 01 -   FloridaMom     TAC (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 02 -   Jacuelyn32    TC or TAC

Sept 02 -   kmg1015    TC x6

Sept 03 -   Priz47    A/C (Port inserted Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   2z54    (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   horselover     A/C x4 every two weeks  T x4 every two weeks  (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 04 -   SingaporeChris    FAC

Sept 04 -   Emily2008    A/C x4

Sept 05 -   yuyueno    TC x6 every three weeks (Port placed Sept. 29)

Sept 05 -   BrandonMom   

Sept 08 -   woorus     6 tx every three weeks

Sept 08 -   Lili46    TC x4

Sept 09 -   Tanzie    A/C x4 two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 09 -   cjh    

Sept 10 -   theprettiestmess     FAC & T

Sept 15 -   Sue508    TC x4 three weeks between

Sept ?? -   Curlieqz

Sept ?? -   bettysgirl    FEC+T

Sept ?? -   TheMissingWink   (Port placed 9/08)

Sept ?? -   Juli50    (Port placed 9/05)

Sept ?? -   HeatherL       FEC x3 / T x3

You girls please let me know if I need to add, or if I've forgotten anything!

• Tanzie
    edited September 2008
    Options

Bourdeaux's Butt Paste can be found at Wally World (Walmart.)   My dh's dad was paralyzed and bedridden before he past away, and I think BBP is what kept his skin from breaking down.  Like I said, really good stuff.

Oy, lots to type, but just jumping in for a bit right now.  I'll post more tomorrow!

Thinking about all you going in!

Tanz

• yuyueno
    yuyueno Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2008
    Options

Jackie,

Thank you for your encouragement!  I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

BrandonMom,

Hey, we are having first chemo on same day, tomorrow!  Mine is also 9am but Pacific Time.  I like your attitude, yeah, let the battle begin!!!

SingaporeChris & Emily,

How did yours go today?  I hope it went well and you both are having a good rest from the big day.

Yuyu

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thanks K (curlieqz) for the good wishes for tomorrow. I'm a little nervous. I found an ointment actually called "Barrier Cream" by DermaHealth at Walmart this morning. On Tuesday I will find out what kind of ER/PR/HER2 I am and when I start my tx. Well wishes to all my new friends.

Juli

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi girls,  Today is day 2 and I am feeling pretty good, took a sleeping pill and slept like a log, felt a little tired about lunch time and a tiny bit sick, so took a pill for that too! They say we shouldn't have to suffer from side effect so I'm not! Rested most of the day and am going out for a compnay dinner tonight, can always come home early, but I still want a life!  Sitting home doing nothing can make you think about the side effect and make them happen, so monitor yourself and see what happens if you are doing something nice, I bet you don't even notice them.  Get plenty of exercise if you feel up to it, as sunlike is also good for us.  Glad the butt cream has gone down so well, not a word I would usually use, so it does make me laugh, if I type any funnies, please let me know as I am English. As i am living in Singapore the time diffrence is also a bit strange as we are 13 hours ahead from some parts of the states.  jacquelyn32 it is normal not to be able to sleep on our med, they do keep you awake but you need the resst.  Good luck to yuyueno and BrandonMom, you have the right attitude and that's half the battle.  Keep smilingSmile Chris   

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Girls, I am on day 2 and feeling pretty good, slept like a log after taking my sleeping pill.  Felt slightly nauseous, so took a pill, they say we shouldn't have to put up with any side effect, so I'm not. Glad the barrier/butt cream went down well.  I also tried some baby wipes on my slight sore butt last time and it stung, I felt really sorry for all babies. I am off out for a company dinner tonight with my husband, so hope I can last.  My FAC is over one month, week 1 IV then week 2 IV again, then two week rest, so I think I have 1/2 a does on the first two weeks.  When I have TC before it was much more concentrated as I had it one every three weeks. I felt pretty bad the first week, so please don't worry if some of us can do more than others, bit al depends upon the drugs.  Listen to your body and do your best.  Good luck to Yuyueno and  Brandon mum!

• hopefullady
    hopefullady Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi girls,

Not sure of the date, but I will be joining you soon, maybe even next week.

Thinking of each of you.

Chris 

• Wink
    edited September 2008
    Options

My oncologist's nurse just called; I will have my first treatment on Thurs  Sept 11 (hope that's not a bad sign) at 0830.  She said that he still has not decided if I'll be getting T & C or Carboplatin (sp?) & T; she said she will call me when he makes up his mind Undecided.

• yuyueno
    edited September 2008
    Options

Singapore Chris, I am happy you are doing pretty good!  I know, we do need to have a life!

I am getting my first chemo this morning.  I will definitely let you all know how it went!

Yuyu

• HeatherL
    HeatherL Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2008
    Options

Just wanted to pop back in here and let you know I will be starting my first chemo Sept 9 next Tues.  What a reality now!  Good luck everybody.

• Emily2008
    Emily2008 Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi everyone!  I had my first txt yesterday and came home with a headache from the cytoxan, which lasted until I went to bed.  Woke up feeling better (ledd headache-y), but tummy has felt funny.  Not nauseated, just that feeling you have when you had the stomach flu a few days before, and you're not back to your 100% status.  I haven't eaten too much today at all, but I just got ravenous for a salami sandwich.  Go figure!

I'm with all you girls, the sooner we get going, the sooner it'll all be over.  

• horselover
    horselover Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hello All! Its been a few days since my first chemo treatment, and I unfortunately for me my worst fears came true.  I don't want to scare anyone, but its been downright AWFUL!  I went in and they did the saline infusion, then the antinausous stuff, then the steroids, then the adriamycin push, which burnt in the middle of my chest, next the cytoxan which gave me a horrible burning tingling from the middle of my nose across my forehead all the way up to the back of my head.  I took my emend pill before the chemo.  I made it the one hour ride home and that was all she wrote 7 hours of trying to vomit, since my stomach muscles weren't working it was just prolonging it, and it was just sliding out, until about 6 hours then projectile vomit, and finally a hour of sleep, then up the rest of the night. Next day couldn't even sit up in vehicle to get my neulasta shot, they gave me more antinausous drugs and 1 liter of fluid in port.  Felt a little better after that. I couldn't drink anything night before, ever sip of water brought on (trying to vomit).  I am still suffering awful today.  No throw up, but want to soo bad!!  I am in constant contact with my triage nurse, I hope they can come up with something different, cause I don't know how much I can take of this.  Oh yea, the Neulasta shot is causing my bones to ache soo bad also,  the nurse said I could try a ibuprofen, since thats all I can take for pain due to the nausousness.  I don't want to do this again!  Sorry if I'm not making much sense but I feel like death warmed over.  Its taking all I got just to type this out!

Yuyueno,

Thanks for the prayers, I think I may need them to make it through this.  I was diagnosed stage 3A, but I did have 13 lymph nodes removed, 4 were cancerous. But thank God my Pet Scan came back clear.  I hope your treatments continue to go well for you!!

Jacquelyn,

It looks like you went on the same clinical trial they wanted me to do.  Now that I see how rough this chemo is on me, I'm glad I chose not to make it any longer.  I don't even know if I can make it through this regimen.   As sick and weak as I feel now I'm lucky I can make the walk out to even say hello to my horsey's. 

• curlieqs
    edited September 2008
    Options

Emily, so glad you feel well today, hope headache is gone. And that salami sandwich better of  treated you well!  Horselover, I am so sorry you feel like crap. I hope it does get better for you with each treatment (maybe change drugs around??) Nothing worse than dry heaves, they hurt so bad. Try some ginger tea if you can get your hands on some. We used to use that at a surgi-center I used to work at. One of the anesthesiologists would carry some in his pocket to give to his patients when "old fashioned" meds did not do the trick. Anyway, get some rest and hope that tomorrow is a much better day for you. Wink

Take care all

K

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2008
    Options

Oh Horselover how horrible! You poor thing!  Just remember that your first dose is always the worst, my first TC wasn't so great but after the first each dose got easier and easier. The chances are you are over the worst. You must try to eat something healthy that will help remove the toxins from your body, whole grains and lots to drink.  I met a lady last night who has just fallen off her horse and broken 3 ribs, I though of you, but I didn't realise you would be feeling worse than her! Try to remain positive, I know it's hard but the drug are designed to kill the cancer and sometime the price we pay is high.  I will be thinking of you and sending you lots of positive vibes. 

Take Care, Singapore Chris.

• yuyueno
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi, everyone!  Just wanted to briefly let you know my first chemo went very well.  There was no allergic reaction, and all three drugs (Texotere, Carboplatin, and Herceptin) went through smoothly.  I was even being a little doubtful if they are really IVing drugs???  I was so comfortable I fall asleep.

I am back home now a few hours after completion of treatment.  And I feel fine so far.  I drove myself from hospital and even did some shopping afterward.  No side effects yet.  My blood sugar level is a little higher but the doc said it is due to Steroid and told me to take extra metoformin to stablize my blood sugar level.  Other than that, I feel fine for now.  Not even tired at all.  Hoepfully, next few days will be as easy as today was.

Yuyu

• curlieqs
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thanks for the update Yuyu and so glad you are feeling well!

K

• 2z54
    2z54 Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi guys, I'm done with my first treatement Wednesday and was just checking to see how everyone else was doing. I'm OK.   Not overjoyed, but it will be doable. Like Emily, after a few hours after my first does of AC, I had a huge headache (while I was trying to work at computer). At that point I decided to give up, take more anit-nauseau meds and iburofen and went to sleep. Woke up feeling much better. Next day, went in for my Neulasta shot which has been no big deal.  Just a general yuccky feeling that I know will eventually pass. - just 15 more weeks, 7 treatmets!

Hope everyone is resolving their chemo issues by now.  For me the problem may be wanting to feel good enough to do everything. Not sure that will happen just yet. Oh well! 

Have a good weekend!

Sue

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2008
    Options

Great to hear that Yuyu had it easy and that Sue's chemo was alright. I feel good today, day 3, so far FAC over two weeks is pretty good!  I am resting most of the day in anticipation of going to a party tonight.

One thing that helped me when I was on TC, was to keep a short factual diary of how I felt and what meds and food I ate.  I could then look back the next month and predict how I would feel and plan things.  Every dose got easier.  I found that after day 6 there were no entries in my diary as I felt so good. Hope this helps.

Keep smiling girls.  Singapore Chris

• Emily2008
    Emily2008 Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2008
    Options

Aw, horselover, I'm so sorry you fel so bad.  I pray you're doing better today and that your doc can change things up for you.  Dry heaves were my biggest fear b/c I had a TRAM flap recon one month ago and I was fearful that I would blow a stitch! 

I'm feeling really pretty well.  A little more tired than usual, and not my ususal appetite, but that's small potatoes compared to what others have experienced, so I can't complain.  I have been constipated even though my lower intestines have been crampy like diarrhea.  Alas, no movement at all.  I'm breaking out my prune juice. 

Sue, I know what you mean about wanting to do everything you usually do since you don't feel too bad.  I'm forcing myself to lay low and take it easier.  Everyone around me is ultra-sympathetic, so that helps.

We can do this, girls!

• kmg1015
    kmg1015 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hello everyone! 

Sounds like we fit right into the fold of everyone reacting differently to chemo.   I have to say that it has been a little rougher than I thought.  The headache is just constantly unbearable and I hurt to to the touch over most of my body.  Yesterday (day 4) was the worst for me (I hope) and I seem to have a little more energy today.  I am supposed to get on a plane for work on Monday (my first day back since my surgery back in July) and it sounds like a large hill to climb right now.  Are many of you trying to work during chemo?

• woorus
    woorus Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hello everyone

everything is so new to me and happening so fast! all the medical terms and words ...the mind boggles. must get up to scratch.

had blood test done today. chemo starts Monday. getting psyched up for the fight! 

back from holiday yesterday. had a lazy time which is good.

Singaporechris - i am in singapore too. thank you for the helpful information!

All the best ladies!

Sam

• jacquelyn32
    jacquelyn32 Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hey Everyone,

It's good to see everyone is keeping in touch with each other. Horselover, I am sorry that you are not doing so good. Hang in there and I hope you feel better today. Chris, thanks for the info about the food dairy. I have been writing down what I do and meds I take. I feel like I can do stuff but I just don't have my normal energy level. Also, does anyone have any acne breakouts. I started getting acne on my neck and chest. I called the onco. office and they said it's normal just don't pop them or don't dry it out because it can hurt. I plan to go back to work on July15th. The oncologist said it will be good for me to go back to work. I agree. I think it helps you take your mind off of yourself. Yuyueno, emily2009, sue, singaporechris,I am glad to hear you are doing okay. Also, my next treatment is Sept 23rd. Anyone else schedule their next chemo date? Sam, I will thinking of you on Monday.

• Wink
    edited September 2008
    Options

KMG, I will be working throughout my treatments (insurance, mortgage, you know, the "have to make a living" thing).  I have my 1st treatment next Thursday at 0830 and am scheduled to work an evening shift on the same day.  However, I have a wonderful work-family and they have someone on standby for me if I have a bad day 1 or 2.  If I have to have a bad day, I hope that it falls on day 3; that will give me a couple of days before I have to go back to work (would be nice to be able to control over it, huh?).  It does appear that everyone reacts differently.

It sounds like I should have a prescription for Amend prior to my first treatment; will have to call my onc on Tues, just in case. 

Horselover, I'm soooo sorry that you had such an awful experience!  There is absolutely nothing worse than the dry heaves (had horrible, horrible, horrible 24hr sickness with pregnancies for 16 weeks - thought I was going to die....actually wanted to!).  I hope that they can adjust your next treatment (or give you something else) so that you don't have such a bad reaction.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Yuyu, I'm hoping that I'll be getting the same meds as you (one of the options my onc is considering - except for the herceptin, I'm her2 neg). And I can only hope that I have the same outcome as you also!  I am so happy that everything went so well!

Hey Sue, looks like we have the same dx; I'm glad to hear you say that your first treatment was doable.  I too want to be back in my "normal" mode.  I'm almost 3 weeks out from bilat mast and feeling stronger, so I really hope that I don't lose too much ground with the chemo.

"Remember, when the cabin pressure in the plane is lost, put on your oxygen mask first before attending to others!"  Right now, we are priority #1!

• Wink
    edited September 2008
    Options

Tanzie, BTW, I got my Butt Paste and I'm ready to go Wink. Hope your Tuesday goes well (and all your other days too).

• Tanzie
    edited September 2008
    Options

Adding HopefulLady and revisions. :)  Welcome! 

Sept ChemoGals!

Sept 01 -   FloridaMom     TAC (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 02 -   Jacuelyn32    TC or TAC

Sept 02 -   kmg1015    TC x6

Sept 03 -   Priz47    A/C (Port inserted Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   2z54    (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   horselover     A/C x4 every two weeks  T x4 every two weeks  (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 04 -   SingaporeChris    FAC

Sept 04 -   Emily2008    A/C x4

Sept 05 -   yuyueno    TC x6 every three weeks (Port placed Sept. 29)

Sept 05 -   BrandonMom   

Sept 08 -   woorus     6 tx every three weeks

Sept 08 -   Lili46    TC x4

Sept 09 -   Tanzie    A/C x4 two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 09 -   cjh   

Sept 09 -   HeatherL      FEC x3 / TC x3 

Sept 10 -   theprettiestmess     FAC & T

Sept 11 -   TheMissingWink      (Port placed 9/08)

Sept 15 -   Sue508    TC x4 three weeks between

Sept ?? -   Curlieqz

Sept ?? -   bettysgirl    FEC+T

Sept ?? -   Juli50    (Port placed 9/05)

Sept ?? -   HopefulLady 

You girls please let me know if I need to add, or if I've forgotten anything!