Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

FEMARA

Comments

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437

I just found out I have mild osteopenia. One says calcium, vit d and weight bearing exercise. This scan was done less than 4 weeks on letrozole so hopefully it is not getting worse with time.

• Jaybird
    Jaybird Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the replies, ChrissyB and Isabelle2.  I have been happy with the Tamoxifen.  The side effects were manageable.  I am getting ready to start an intense medical internship at a local hospital.  I will need to be sharp and able to think clearly.  I guess all I can do is try the medication and see how I feel.  Will be doing a bone density scan this fall to monitor my progress.  It is hard to weigh the benefits of taking Femara with the real risks of developing osteoporosis.  I  support myself and can't afford to be out of work due to illness or injuries.  Please keep us posted with your progress.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

Scottiee - my hair started falling out and I began taking biotin.  I'm taking 8000 mcg per day and am no longer losing hair like I was.  I also use Kerastase shampoo and masque, which I think helps with the dryness. 

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790

Thank you for the advise...I have been taking 2000 but I guess that's not enough, and I will try the shampoo because my hair is also so dry.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    GrandmaV,
    I found the strontium drug fascinating.  I knew that strontium can replace calcium in the body in bones  But it is normally radioactive.  So I found out that they separate out the radioactive atoms from the non-radioacive strontium.  This is a positive approach - I think it is still being tested in the US but not sure.
    I have been on Letrozole since February (5 mos.) and mood swings are common.  I have very thick hair and I do not notice it falling out.  I do not think it causes weight gain - perhaps water retention (similar to PMS, menopause).  But the mood swings have sometimes been why I grab the wrong foods.  I am able to walk every day and I also eat a modified South Beach diet.  I managed to lose about 10 pounds in 10 days; but eating bad for 2 days and not walking gave me back 3 pounds.  I got more than I wanted there.
    It is getting to be a battle at this age (60+) even though I am very active and working.
    Overall, the Femara generic is tolerable.
    Best wishes to everyone here....we do have to fight for that "normal" life by doing all we can to stay healthy.  With that, I need sleep!
    Joan
  • nanna
    nanna Member Posts: 138

I can't take this joint pain and feeling awful all the time. Calling my onc tommorrow about taking a break from this little pill.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    Nanna, I hope you can feel better with a break.  Sometimes a switch of generic makes it more bearable. Good luck with this
    Joan
  • gardengumby

Had my 3 month checkup with the oncologist yesterday.  The good news is I now don't have to return for 6 months!!  Smile.  Unfortunately, we also discussed my plan for taking a one month vacation from letrozole in December.  She's no longer OK with it.  Apparently a study of men with prostrate cancer just came back.  They had been of the opinion that it was OK to give men breaks from their cancer medication, but when they did a comparative study of men who've been given breaks and men who had not been given breaks - well, the men given the breaks didn't have nearly as good an outcome long-term.  Soooo, I guess no break for me Frown

Also, she had been including the 6 months I was on tamoxifen as part of the 5 year hormone therapy.  It sounded to me like she no longer felt that it should be included either.  So, I guess I've got another 4 year and 4 mos of this stuff.  She (my oncologist) said that they are finishing up a study comparison of 5 years and 10 years, to see if 10 years gives more benefit, and if it did - she'd want me on it for 10 years Yell.  I don't think I can do 10 years of it, even if it does provide a better long term outcome - let's face it, I'm 62 - just how much more "long term" would it be anyway...  Undecided.

• FilterLady
    FilterLady Member Posts: 74

Garden:

congrats on your good checkup.......6 months!!!! I know you are glad of that.

I'm still on every 4 months but hope to move to 6 months after next checkups and mammo in September!

Have a great day!

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639

Gumby, I'm with you. I will try to do the five years on Aromasin but ten, no way I'm 66 and certainly don't want it until I'm 76.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Good news girls, after my 6month checkup I'm still hot n heavy with the stable boy!  Thank you Femara!! Still going strong after almost two years.  Just goes to show that that little pill sure packs a big punch.

Glad to hear that it's working for others as well.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy 

• FilterLady
    FilterLady Member Posts: 74

Chrissy........I'm doing the happy dance for you!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Scottiee1

Congrats....I'm also doin the dance💃

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045

chrissyb, That's wonderful news.  It gives us more incentive to stay on it. 

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

That's wonderful news chrissyb!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Chrissy, that is good to hear.

• chrissyb

Thanks girls!  I was just thinking that if it's doing that for me, a stage IV just think what it can and is doing for you.............it sure is mind boggling!......lol

Love n hugs all.  Chrissy 

• Isabelle2
    Isabelle2 Member Posts: 231

chrissyb...you are an inspiration...today is day 15 for me on Femara & I am still so afraid of it.  I go for my radiation consult today.

• chrissyb

Isabelle please don't be afraid of it nor the possible side effects........not everyone gets them and some people get very mild ones that are easily delt with.  If I were able to have this medication when I was first dx'd then there is every possibility I would not be stage IV now. At that point of time the AI's, which Femara is one, were not available but I sure am happy we have the opportunity to have it now...........aren't we the lucky ones!

Good luck with your rads consult! 

Love n hugs.  Chrissy 

• gardengumby

Isabelle, don't worry about the letrozole.  It has some SE's, but the good thing is that one of the things it affects for me is my memory - so I don't really remember how I felt before I started taking it!!  LOL Laughing Laughing.  All kidding aside, you may not be one of the people who has side effects.  I will tell you that my oncologist is really high on the stuff.  She says it's pretty much the best stuff available - so pop that little pill and tell it to run right down there and knock out any stray cancer cells that may be wandering around your bod....  Smile

• Isabelle2
    gardengumby...i am on day 20 with Femara and charting everything..if I could just forget that I am popping those little pills, maybe I would not even notice. Smile
  • RobinNY
    RobinNY Member Posts: 136

Well, it's time to say goodbye to this forum....after 28 months Femara is no longer effective for me. On to Faslodex! Good luck to everyone...

hugs!

Robin

• chrissyb

Good luck with Faslodex Robyn sure hope it does its job for a long time.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Scottiee1

Good luck with Faslodex Robyn.

• Scottiee1

Anyone experiencing lots of nausea with Femara??????

• Isabelle2

Good morning Scottie,

So far (day21) with Femara, so it may be a little early, just very teary throughout the day for no reason & other than that no s.e.   Little light headed for the first few days but that has passed.

• Scottiee1

Hi Isabelle2: I couldn't get out of bed yesterday for the nausea...today I have a slight fever, headache and some nausea again....could this be due to Letrozole...could it be the debilitating heat we are experiencing in Toronto??????

• chrissyb

Scottie the nausea could be either or both.  Have you tried taking the Letrozole after food?  Also, with the heat you are experiencing you may not be drinking enough water which will give you all the symptoms you describe.  When it is that hot you should be drinking at least 2 litres of clear water a day and that doesn't include any other beverage.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy 

• Scottiee1

Thanks Chrissy's: I have not bee drinking a lot of water...tea, yes...not a big water drinker

But will try.

• chrissyb

Scottie, a good trick to make the water go down easier is to put two or three drops of fresh lemon juice into it to give it a taste.