Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437

Nanna- I have had 3 cortisone shots in my shoulder on the BC side which has lymphedema but the dr said the shots were ok. They have made a world of difference.

• nanna
    nanna Member Posts: 138

Has onyone had to stay on femara longer than 5 yrs?

• nanna
    nanna Member Posts: 138

Does arimidex  do as well as femara? 

• Mimidi
    Mimidi Member Posts: 48

I was changed from arimidex to femara.  I still feel tired, worn out and old.  I have 4 more years to go and am wondering how I am going to handle taking femara.  Don't know of anyother options.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790

Mimidi I have another 4 1/2 years with it so I am pushing myself to workout everyday.

I bought a treadmill and it's in my bedroom where I have to either trip over it or get on the darn thing. I have been doing this for 6 months now and I am at the point where I am FINALLY enjoying it and challenging myself to stay on longer each week. I strongly

Believe it is helping me, plus doing a few weights 2 or 3 times a week....I am 65 and

between my new diet regime, exercise, and MANY supplements, I feel healthier now, physically, than I did before BC....I can hardly believe it myself.....go figure!!!!!! That's my recipe for dealing with Femara, or for me Letrozole. Maybe some more lovely ladies will give their recipes💪

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437

Exercise is the key to getting rid of the joint and muscle pain from letrozole. Just start walking as slowly as you need to and build it up over time. It really helps!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Nana I have heard of some ladies being on one of the AI's for longer than the five years and they are as far as I know testing to see if there is a benefit to staying on them longer.  The AI's are Arimidex, Femara and Aromasin.

Different people react differently to all meds.  Some may not do well on one but extremely well on another.  When you get right down to it, the three of them do a very similar thing but are put together differently but the outcome is usually good.

Hope this answers your questions and please feel free to ask more if you need.

To the other girls asking about getting trough the fatigue, try taking your tabs at night as that really helped me with the fatigue bit.  It also helped me to eat pretty much gluten free and make sure my B12 level was good.

Love n hugs.   Chrissy 

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Scottiee, exercise is the key for me too. I eat a healthy diet with lots of veggies and I try to get an average of 1.5 hours of exercise a day, mostly walking and some light weight work.

Chrissy, I have been wondering about B12, because I had some things going on that could be from low B12. Any particular reason you focused on B12?

• chrissyb

Momine I have always had a problem with low B12 and fatigue and know from experience that a good level works wonders.  B12 is a water soluable Vitamin and the body does not store it so eating well and supplimenting for me is a must.

• Momine

Thanks, Chrissy. I have taken a B supplement for the last two months and it does seem to have helped various ailments. I was thinking of getting my level checked next time I have blood work done.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

ktab - I have had minimal SE the same as you.  I am exercising more and eating better now which may help.  I take melatonin to help sleep but my pain problems are due to osteoarthritis in my knees not associated with BC.  The only major thing is the osteoporosis in my lower back.  I have a zometa infusion every six months to help that out.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

My MO told me last visit that they are currently running tests to determine whether or not a longer time on femara/letrozole would be more beneficial.  To be honest, I don't much care.  I am completely determined to do the full 5 years, and equally determined not to do a moment longer.  I've been on it 9 months now.  Exercise and supplements help, but my joints do hurt.

• justagirl
    justagirl Member Posts: 633

I absolutely hate taking Femara for the side effects I have - mood swings, depression, apathy, joint aches, leaching of calcium from my bones and total lack of sex drive.....................

but as much as I hate taking the Femara I live every day in constant fear of a recurrance and if the oncologist says it's best to take for 5 years to starve off any lurking bc cells in my body - so be it.....and if at the end of 5 years she says keep on taking it, I will.  23 months in, 3 years to go.

• chrissyb

Femara is keeping me alive full stop. I hope I can take it for the next twenty years!

• mrscrj
    mrscrj Member Posts: 4

Yes, you can have the cortazone injection on your affected site, at least my doc thinks so. I had much pain from OA in the joint of my thumb on the side w/cancer and had the first injection last year, with much relief and no ill effects. I would strongly recommend it but remind you to make sure the doctor knows your situation.

• bevg49
    bevg49 Member Posts: 461

I took my first dose of Femera today and I am scared to death of SE. I was under the impression that the only side effect might be hot flashes but I see this impression is wrong. Just googled it (dangerous thing to do sometimes) and I read the whole list of possible SE's. Of course, I'm going to do what the MO says. The thought of some sneaky stray cells lurking is more scary than SE's.  It just sucks that with BC, it's always something.

• justagirl
    justagirl Member Posts: 633

Chrissyb: it is your spirit in dealing with what you have been dealt that keeps me taking Femara.  I look up to you as a 'guiding light' on dealing with our life's issues.  Thank you!

• Ihopeg
    Ihopeg Member Posts: 92

Hi Everyone,

Well, I have one more month of Femara, after being on it since 2007!! Two different oncs say that they haven't proven its beneficial after 5 years, so I have to stop. I am so scared to stop taking it! You all can make it fine for the 5 years. It seems like the side effects got much better after year 3. I actually havent felt the pains, aches and general fatigue in a long time. Actually since I havent been having side effects, I hope its still working. Just think of the SEs as proof that you are fighting this.

• Momine

Bev, I have been on it for four months. I have had joint pains, mostly feet and hips. If I walk it goes away. The more I move, the less it hurts.

The hot flashes are annoying, but mine are already getting milder.

I have had a couple of other odd SEs, like dizziness for example. But they tend to go away after a few weeks. So far it has not been as bad as I had feared, and if it stays like this it is completely doable.

I do think exercise is key though.

• bevg49

Momine, thanks so much for your response. Of course, I'm going to take the meds regardless of SE's. The thought of stray cancer cells is way worse. From what you say, it does sound doable, if not entirely pleasant but what is pleasant about BC anyway?? I've had a rough time of it. Had an MX of right side which was totally uneventful and much easier than I thought. Got great news and 1 week after - pathology report showed everything gotten. On the 8th day my chest swelled like a balloon, turned purple and green and I was in agony. Surgeon said rush to ER where he did emergency surgery for a massive hematoma and took out 1,000 cc's of blood. 3 days later, I started massive bleeding again and needed another emergency surg. I was so sick. Blood pressure 80/54, just sick. In intensive care then it just started improving. So I go home and then the surgical scar opened up which is where I'm at now. Have to clean it, put bacitracin in it and bandage it 2x a day. My original surgery date was 6/7 so this is going on awhile. I'm diabetic which is why it's healing so slowly. I guess if I dealt with all that, what's a few SE's, right?

• gardengumby

I hope no one felt that I was discouraging ANYONE from taking femara/letrozole.  I will absolutely take it for the full 5 years, and if I should go to stage IV, I will take it as long as necessary.  (Chrissy, you are an inspiration!)  I'm just not planning on taking it longer than 5 years.  That's just me.  I am most assuredly NOT wanting to discourage anyone else from doing more!!!

• ktab96
    ktab96 Member Posts: 48
    Walker2222 - I also exercise everyday.  I work with light weights, walk, Pilates, and Zumba.  My Radiologist strongly recommended I take up exercise, eliminate all alcohol and eat whole foods to mitigate side effects.  Its definitely working for me. Smile
  • superfoob
    superfoob Member Posts: 121

So right on the no alcohol!

I drank a couple of Smithwick's yesterday at the neighborhood pub and, boy am I paying for it. My belly won't stop rumbling and I feel so icky/nauseous. BLECH. Yell

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

I have tried wine and endup having a big hot flash.  Not worth the flashes eventhough I like a good Zen!

• gardengumby

Can't do beer or the hard stuff, but wine doesn't seem to affect my SE's.

• Isabelle2
    Isabelle2 Member Posts: 231

bevg49,

I am on day 40 with Femara, and like you, I was scared to death...I waited 2 weeks even to fill the perscription and then another few days before I popped a pill.   So far I have minor hot flushes, not so bad, first few days a little dizziness and that passed.   My biggest problem now is emotional...I am constantly in tears, super sensitive, my family and good friends are aware of this and are being very tolerant.   If this is as bad as it gets I will deal with it....this too will pass.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393

Isabelle2,

I can identify with you on the emotional thing.  I too had that 'problem' when I first started with the Letrozole (aka: Femara).  I think it was a combination of the med, radiation, and just adjusting to the idea of having the BC...  The emotions have leveled off to more normal now, (most of the time).  Hope you too will have it ease up...

Vickie

• bevg49

I'm on day 3 of taking the Femera and I have to say, I have not had any SE's whatsoever, not even a hot flash. I don't know if they are going to start later on, but if this is it, I consider myself lucky. The really bad thing is the emotional part. Even before starting the med, I am having major problems with moods. I am either crying for almost no reason or enraged at people, mainly my husband, sister, son and daughter. They have been there for me during this horrible time and I don't know why I am overreacting but very little things make me super mad then I end up crying for 10 minutes. My husband made fun of a show I like to watch. I told him to drop dead then cried.... I offered my sister a booklet on lymphadema (she was diagnosed same week as me). She said thanks but no thanks, she knows it all and doens't want to know too much anyway. It hurt my feelings and I got mad then cried... I am losing it and I'm afraid the Femara will make it worse. Of well, time will tell I guess. There are always psychiatric hospitals lol.

• Isabelle2
    Isabelle2 Member Posts: 231

bev49   I could have written every word that you did....be sure and read my little blog above.   I have had more upsets in this past month of Femara than ever in my life....& it is just not me.   I have always been fairly sensitive but not like this.   I was told by my onc.  that would I wil  adapt but I am just not sure how long it will take. 

I feel that cancer is not only a physical disease but an emotional one....and it affects family and friends.  I had my first rad treatment today & cried through it..certainly not from pain, only fear.  Tomorrow is my first visit with a counselor and maybe she will set me straight.    I can only  hope I do not destroy every relationship I have before I am through this.   It is a good thing that I have an easy going saint for a partner.  LOL  It is so good to have this site to share.

As for the Psych, hospitals, there isn't enough room for all of us.  Wink

Scottie, I got my Gazelle & have started with 5 min. sessions 4x per day and have worked up to 10 min....

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393

Sisters!!!

I know what you are going through.  I believe that the BC 'plays' with our emotions a lot!!!!  I too have had some of those days where for no apparent reason the tears won't stop flowing (yesterday was one of those days) but they are happening less frequently than a few months ago.  I have been glad to be able to use this site to vent on and know that others feel things too, (guess that is where the statement "misery loves company" describes us).

Sorry if this to too much of a repeat of a previous post....

WE ARE STRONG AND ARE DETERMINED TO BEAT THIS MONSTOR!!!  keep hanging in there friends...

Vickie