Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• Isabelle2
    Isabelle2 Member Posts: 231

Thank you Scottie, I will try it for sure as I think the Femara/radiation fatigue is setting in however I got the peach pies made today (with my man's help...he blanched & peeled the peaches) and I will be so happy to meet you on Sunday.   So far the tears and fatigue are the most difficult things to deal with.   The little aches and pains are not bothering me too much and I am on day 51 with Femara.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790

I'm so happy you are willing to try it.....if you get my results, you will not regret it. BTW..

Peach pies are sugar free, right😜

• bevg49
    bevg49 Member Posts: 461

I wonder if they sell it in the USA?

• Scottiee1

Oh bevg49 I hope so.....it' s amazing stuff.

• Isabelle2
    Scottie, most pie recipes call for 1 to 2 cups of sugar,now you have to have a little bit...mine have 1/4 cup of sugar, that is all...okay for diabetics too.   if you do not love them you can shoot me.  lolSurprised
  • Scottiee1

That's quite a difference Isabelle....good for you....Is this your own recipe?

• Isabelle2
    yes....I am a slapdash cook & baker...love to do it...do not follow any rules and most of the time seems to turn out okay.  You will be the judge.  see you Sunday.  Smile
  • Scottiee1

Looking forward to meeting you and everybody else.

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• Scottiee1

Sorry Day, yes it will contain Iodine for sure.

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437

Superfood- Yes I have the foot pain also after sitting for just a little while. I also was diagnosed with fibromyalgia which we think was triggered by the trauma of my 4 surgeries last year. I have definitely found that swimming and walking help it. Maybe if you cannot swim you can walk in the water?

• superfoob
    superfoob Member Posts: 121

Thank you, Ginger. I may try that. I do worry a tiny bit about getting a cut and bacteria.

Have a wonderful weekend!

• trudy-erl
    trudy-erl Member Posts: 11

Hi:  As we all know, we are all totally different. Mine kicked in 4-5 weeks after starting it. If there is anything else I could give my opinion on, please, don't hesitate to ask.

trudy

• nanna
    nanna Member Posts: 138

Oh my, my thumbs and wrists are killing me. I have had this for about 2months. Went to dr had see np and thought i would get shot but she told me she couldnt give me the shot. The dr was behind and couldnot give it to me. Needless to say that was a wasted trip. Has anyone had problem and what did you do. I will get to see dr next week.

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• Scottiee1

Curious if anyone has experienced a sore throat while taking Femara????

• ktmimi2
    ktmimi2 Member Posts: 23

Hi Ladies,

I have a question. I have been on Femara for almost three years. My major side effects are bone pain and severe stiffness. In the last six months, twice, I have gotten what I thought was a UTI, out of the clear blue. I was so dry inside and had intense burning high inside that I could scream. I know that Vaginal dryness is a major side effect but in the almost three years, I have not experience it at all. This last bout has taken me down in the pain category. I went my GYN yesterday and she gave me some Estrogen Cream. She said I was so dry that it created the UTI also. My ONC said it was O.K. to use the cream to get things in balance. I cannot believe the pain I was in as I could barely sit. It felt like I was on fire in my body. Has anyone experienced this????? Can you help me with suggestions as to why all of a sudden this is happending? It has been almost three years of a nasty quality of life. I am ready to call it quits only because there is not one day when I feel semi normal. Help is appreciated...advice?

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639

ktmimi, several ladies have mentioned coconut oil as a natural lubricant.

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437

Ktmimi- I did not have it as bad as you but my Gyn and onc also prescribed vagifem 2x a week. Definitely helped.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I kept having UTI's - I started taking cranberry supplements daily.  It has stopped the UTI's in their tracks!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

OK - what is a UTI?

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740

Urinary tract infection

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

urinary tract infection

• Cher56
    Cher56 Member Posts: 140

Hi everyone. sorry to meet you all here, but grateful your here!!!

I usually am a motor mouth typer.. have a nightmare story, but heck.. now I know I'm not alone!! I haven't started the Femara yet, 'have the script' but need to get moved etc before the 'dreaded se's' start.

Thanks to SuperFoob for leading me here.. now I'm overwhelmed AGAIN.. crap.. seems to be my MO of the last few months. I'm now nervous as hell at the SE's. I'm doing ok with my RA/OA/FM/CFS right now (that's the short list) as it's summer, Onc said it's going to be significant increase in pain & most def will get OsteoPor..been on prednisone for 5 yrs. HRT for 19 yrs staved off bone prbs, ...

Chemo was pushed out as a choice. Surgeon screwed up with mis-dx & other things, 2 others messed up with me. this Onc ran his hand through his hair, rolled his eyes in a OMG fashion.. so .. yes I'm after another Onc. one thing he did say when asked: what if I take NO treatment, what happens if BC comes back (now I figure BC also means anywhere in the body??) he stated: it'll be incurable, but we'd be able to slow it down & would probably be a stage IV. what ?? huh?? omg!! haha... thought I was TN for months as 'weakly positive ER' this is what Ms.Surgeon said.

ok, now I actually DID motor-mouth-type... sorry, so many questions! so many thoughts! so when thinking of getting off AI or not taking it.. the outcome is ummmm pretty lousy.. need another opinion for sure.. have you had any answers like that?

Bless you all .. and your families.

Cher 

• Cher56

PS...I couldn't sleep....& now feel apprehension /anxiety for what is to come...man I need to get my positive attitude back! Worrying about pain etc that hasn't happened yet...Geesh!!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi Cher I've been on Femara almost two years with little to no SE's. Not everyone gets bad SEs and sometimes if you do changing the brand of Femara you take can improve how you feel.

Good luck! (oh by the way I am stage IV and Femara has kept the cancer in check)

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Cher56

Hey thanks Chrissy!! Wow great to hear...think I'll go with you...lol

Didn't think it fair the Onc already determined I'd have so much pain.have a great day! '

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

Cher56 - I've been on letrozole for 10 months.  These are the SE's I've experienced:

hair loss and nair breaking - started taking 8000 mcg of biotin daily and that has stopped

tiredness - take daily vitamins, drink lots of water and other liquids and exercise all of which help a lot

overall achiness - same as above, but the achiness isn't terrible.

diminished sex drive - this bothers my husband much more than me, but we still have sex at least once a week, usually more, so he's satisfied, though possibly not as happy as he could be.

I was scared of the side effects, as the side effects of tamoxifen were brutal for me.  This has been a walk in the park in comparison.  If the letrozole does get you down, there are some other AI's you can try as well.  Some people do take pain medication, I've heard, but I haven't needed anything like that.  I did have fairly severe pain in my hip and left leg, but finally found that was not related to the letrozole, but rather a herniated disk in my back!  You'll be fine, and the SE's of taking it are much less than the SE's of NOT taking it.

Edited to add:  I've noticed that when I am exposed to any allergens, my achiness intensifies.  As a result, I've become much more cautious about my exposures.  I stay away from wheat entirely, and have cut WAAAYYYY back on dairy (I'm allergic to both).  I avoid cats and dogs like they carry the plague (for me they do... Frown) and try to diminish any other allergens as much as possible - obviously highly allergic people (like me) have a harder time doing that than does someone who has few if any allergies.

• Cher56

Hey thanks Gardengumby! I'm going to start it about mid Sept. The Fall cold & dampness has started & the pain switch is on...now achy, pain,stifness is back..uggg...but AI is only hope for me. Cdve had Rads but surgeon screwed that up with wrong dx & due to having open wounds wait for chemo puts me past window for it & Onc said 'risk to my life' outweighs the advantage of it. ...COPD + RA mainly he said. Am glad its not severe for you! I've heard of the Biotin + other supplements..will head to health store next week..am on lots,but I see I'll need much higher dose of supplements!

• Scottiee1

Hi guys....just jumping in here to say that I have had LOTS of hair loss since starting

Letrozole. Went to see a Dermatologist who said I was taking too much Biotin (600)

and that the body could not absorb all of that . She has me taking just 100 three times a day. Seems so little, but I am willing to give it a try. Take care everybody.