Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Nanna have you asked to change to one of the other AI's? Sometimes changing gives you relief from the really bad SE's and well worth talking to your onc about.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Cher56
    Cher56 Member Posts: 140

Thank you Day

• Seashellie
    Seashellie Member Posts: 42

I went to see my primary Dr. last week and very surprisingly my BP was through the roof! She put me on a water pill med and I've been monitering my bp daily. The only thing I can really contribute this to is Letrozole (besides the coffee I had in the morning that I usually have and has not caused a soar in my BP before.) I had no real symptoms except diarrhea and hot flashes for a year but right about at the 1 year point, I started having the joint soreness, muscle aches, memory problems, low energy, weight gain, major hot flashes among other things... and tenderness in my right thumb joint that was a bit debilitating.

I decided to do a "study" on myself and haven't take the drug for 11 days now. By the 4th day most of my muscle and joint pain was gone!... I was amazed. Things have been getting better every day and my BP is steadily going down but still high. Oh, and my major complaint of diarrhea (which began the day after I started taking it a year and a half ago) has subsided and I've had a couple of normal poops!!! Sorry to be graphic, but this is huge for me! I feel almost normal again!!!

Now what? I want to do the best I can to prevent reoccurance but 5 years of this sounds like prison. I'm seeing my Onc's next week. For now, I'm enjoying feeling 47 instead of 80 years old.

• chrissyb

Seashelly if you are having such a bad time with the Femara perhaps talking to your doc about trying one of the other AI's would be better for you. I was on Arimidex to start and like you felt really bad. Doc changed me to Femara and I was much better. I've heard quite a few women have found the same thing.

Good luck!

• Seashellie

Thanks Chrissy,

I've also had different SE's from different manufacturer's of Femara and finally found the one that gave me the least SE's which is Apotex. Milan and another pink one are bad for me. I think I'm extra sensitive or something. Maybe Arimadex would work with me better.  I'm kind of scared right now about playing around with my BP until I get it under control. I look forward to talking with my Dr's. next week.

I appreciate the encouragement and glad you had a good experience changing meds!

• chrissyb

Seashelly high BP is a SE of all the AI's. I had high BP before BC but now it's through the roof and I'm on meds for it. Thankfully they are working well. Perhaps it may be time to look at meds for yours as well. BC sure is a gift that just keeps giving.

• Seashellie

Thanks Chrissy, I forgot to add that my Dr. put me on a bp med - hydro... something 25mg.. water pill and I've been taking that for 11 days. I'm thinking I may need a higher dosage and/or something else when I see her in a few days. This seems like a scary game of roulette. Sure wish there were more difinitive answers... or better yet, a CURE!!

• chrissyb

I'm on two other meds besides the fluid pills. They are Micardis and Noten. The combination of the three seem to do a reasonable job for me. Good luck when you see your doc.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693

Hi! I've lurked around a few times, so thought I would look to see if any of you had answered my question. I've been having lower extremity pain knees, ankle and feet as well as arm and finger pains. I had called my Onc on Friday and she said it was the medication. It wasn't until I started reading that everyone was having the same form of pain. My pain started about 6 wks into the meds and now that I'm 5 mos into it, it seems like its getting worse. Getting up from a seated position kills me, and then having to walk brings me to tears. I'm taking glucosemine to help with some of that. I'm thinking about having my Onc switch me to something else.

I read someone say that their dr put them on Effexor for hot flashes. I've been on it since June and it works wonders, however, one of the SE's of the Femara is excess sweating. So sometimes it works wonders and sometimes I need to go take a shower shortly after i get to work.

christy

• chrissyb

Hi Christy. The joint pain can be a bit of a killer and taking glucosamine is a good thing. You might also like to try an anti inflamatory like Mobic or if you are into the natural, Boswellia Serata and Cucumin. I take all three as I have osteo arthritis as well and with these added into my regime, I get a good amount of relief.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Chrisrenee77

thank you Chrissy. Do you know if any of the naturals you've listed above have any soy or estrogen products in them?

• chrissyb

The ones I take do not but you will need to read the ingredients on the packaging. Boswellia comes from tree bark and Cucumin is part of the spice Tumeric anything else would be from the fillers.

Good luck!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Chrisrenee, I have been on femara for about 7 months now. I get the aches when getting up from a chair, and some days my feet hurt a lot. It is really the joints in the feet, but it feels like they are just aching all over.

It helps to move. If you are sitting for work, puter etc, get up every 20 minutes and walk around the table 3 times. I also try to walk 1-2 hours a day and it really helps. The more exercise you can get, the better it is.

• Chrisrenee77

momine- Thank you for the advice. I feel like such a baby by wanting my Onc to change my medication. When my ankle started hurting me I originally thought I sprained it, but now I know I did not. So I don't know what to do. I'm just so frustrated with it all.

• Momine

Chris, it may be warranted to try another AI. It is hard to assess another person's pain. For the time being, I feel this is doable, but it wouldn't have to get a whole lot worse for me to change my mind ;) I have just been surprised at how much some exercise really does help, in my case anyway.

• chrissyb

Because of other problems I cannot exercise although when I'm up to it a gentle walk does help some so I revert to taking the anti inflamatories which help a great deal.

• Momine

Chrissy, yes, that can be a major problem, very true. But if the anti-inflammatories do the job, that is good too.

• kerrie389
    kerrie389 Member Posts: 19

Hi ladies,

I have been on femara now for 2 months and the joint stiffness and pain seems to be getting worse. I agree that exercise really does help alot. I feel i can manage these symptoms but what i am really having trouble with is the fatigue . I feel like i could just sleep all the time. Has anyone else experienced this.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

yes.  sleep is my friend.  a lot of it.  I used to get by fine on 7 or 8 hours a night.  Now i NEED 10 and really really like 12.....

• chrissyb

Fatigue is one reason I take mine at night. By doing this I don't seem to drag so much through the day.

• Chrisrenee77

chrissy i take mine at night too. between that and my sleeping pills i sleep like a baby.

• chrissyb

Lol Chris, I with on that one, the little pill and a sleeping bomb and the lights are out for at least eight hours and no dragging when I wake. It's a good feeling.

• Momine

Yes, I have had some fatigue on and off. In part because my sleep was not continuous. Again, I find that exercise helps. The more I exercise, the better I sleep and the less fatigue I have.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

I don't really have that much fatigue during the day.  (I also take mine at night).  I just never seem to get "enough" sleep until I've slept for 10-12 hours.  I do exercise daily (well, I didn't today.... up too late last night).  I've just started (a couple days ago) taking melatonin, and I'll see if that has any benefit.  I was taking tylenol to help me sleep (I'm weird it knock me flat), but started worrying, so switched to melatonin.  Hubby says I've been in a better mood the last two mornings, so we'll see....  Today isn't a fair comparison, as I was up extremely late watching election coverage.

• Chrisrenee77

Has anyone switched from Femara to another drug or come from another drug to Femara? My joints are killing me, just when I think I'm starting to do better I wake up and my arms feel like limp noodles. I can barely move them without dying in pain. I'm just curious, I don't know if by going to another drug if I'm going to have worse symptoms. I'm so confused I don't know what to do.

• chrissyb

Chrisrenee I swapped from Arimadex to Femara and I have done sooooo much better since doing that two years ago. To help address the aches and pains try taking an anti inflamatory each day. I take Boswellia Serata and Curcumin and the pains have certainly dissapated. These two are naturals but there is also one called Mobic which works very well also.

Hope this helps a little.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Chrisrenee77

thank you Chrissy! I just have so many aches and pains that I don't know whether it's coming or going. When I wake up my arms kills me, it almost feels like someone has beat the hell out of me at night and I used my arms to defend myself. I don't want to come off as being whiney or anything but this is miserable.

• chrissyb

Oh I sure can relate to that!! You sure aren't being whiney when you star how you feel and we all get it.

I don't know if my aches and pain are Femara related or from my arthritis which is extensive I just know that the anti inflamatories do help.......a lot! and without them i hurt......a lot! If you just take the naturals it may take a couple of weeks before you 'notice' a difference as they need to build up but take them every day whether you feel better or not. Eventually you get the benefits but we are all different how our systems process and use these compounds.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045

I can relate, too.  I was doing pretty good until about a couple of weeks ago.  I had been stiff and some pain, but when my pharmacy changed to a different generic company a couple of months ago, the pain subsided some.  Then about 2 weeks ago I woke up with terrible pain in my right knee.  It also get's locked either bent or straight.  Hurts to put weight on it.  My pcp thinks I may have a torn meniscus.  If it is, I'm sure this drug contributed to it, by making my joints so stiff.  I just started waking up with numb hands, too. So it's back to the pharmacy to see if they can try another generic company.  I'm think of asking for  Roxane Laboratories version next.  It only has 6 fillers as opposed to 11 in the breckenridge one I have now.  I've only been on letrozole 7 months so I hate to switch to a different AI, yet.  From what I understand there are only 3 and I have a long ways to go, so I hate to blow through them all too soon.  I just started Acetyl L-Carnitine for the neuropathy in the hands.  I've been taking  8 grams a day of curcumin since July and plan to add Boswellia Serata this week.  My pcp put me on lortabs for the knee, and it helps some, but I try not to take it very often, because I don't want to get addicted.  Chrissy is my inspiration so I'm determined to keep taking an AI. 

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi Chrisrenee7,

I'm an old-timer on Hormonals. So some my remarks:  Two months after taking Femara SE's struck with all force. 18 months I was really battling, despairing, doing all possible to lessen it and going on. Last fall my MO decided to change, ranging the SE’s from easier to hardest: Tamoxifen – Aromasin – Arimidex + Femara, because of former thrombosis I couldn’t get Tam, was beginning with Aromasin from January this year. I must admit I’m doing well on and the body is in some way adapting to lack of estrogen. You should speak with your MO about skipping to another medicine!

All the best!

Usha