Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

Scottie, have you tried biotin for the thinning hair?  I had to cut mine because it got too brittle, but the thinning has stopped.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790

Yeh, I have tried EVERYTHING....the thinning has lessened somewhat and not so brittle

anymore, but I'm 65 so what can I expect?......lol....thank you for the advice however.

I just keep it very, very short and put a colour rinse in it once in a while....in the scheme of things, it's just hair....lol

• gardengumby

I'm 62 :) and I know what you mean.  My hair is still to my shoulders (was down the middle of my back, I was one of THOSE old ladies.... Laughing LOL).  I'm thinking of going shorter yet, but it's still a shock to my system to have it as short as it is.  My only real splurge (other than an occasional good bottle of wine Wink) is really really good shampoo and rinse.  I always cringe when I buy it, but I get Kerastase (especially that for dry hair), and have been really happy with the results.

• Scottiee1

I thought about keratase so if you tell me you are really happy with it, I'll give it a try....so expensive though. Gardengumby, if you are happy with your hair, don't cut it, enjoy it...

WTH....wish I could join you in a glass of wine. Happy Thanksgiving.

• gardengumby

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too (Well, yours is already over isn't it?)  So, Merry Christmas a little early!!!  :)

(I like a big glass, but I don't think we'd both fit in a glass of wine!!!  Laughing)   What kind of wine do like best, red or white?  Living in Washington we have some REALLY scrumptious wines, and I've gotten a little spoiled. (Really a lot spoiled, but what's life for, if we don't spoil ourselves and our spouses....  )

I do like Kerastase.  I use the one that comes in a beige bottle/jar with an orangeish lid.  It's awfully pricey, but I figure getting my hair cut every few months would cost even more, so for right now, that's my excuse....

• Scottiee1

....I'll try it and let you know. Wine...hmmmm....red is my colour of choice.

Living in Toronto, we are not far from Niagara Falls and the Niagara region makes some

amazing wines including their famous ice wine!!!!

Would we fit in a punch bowl together....lol

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701

You've just peaked my interest....Vineyard..near Niagara Falls. Ahhh, the wonderful memories. I love, love that area and the beautiful wine country.

• gardengumby

I've never been to Niagara.  We'll have to add that wine country on our list of places to go (and things to taste!!)

• Scottiee1

Ladies, maybe through some Miracle we could all get together there sometime and have a "vineyard crawl".....lots of fun...💃

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701

Scottee...You are nice and close!!! I'd have to 'fly'. Bahhhhh.

• C-squared
    C-squared Member Posts: 338

Hi all~  I'm new here switching from Arimidex (Anastrozole) to Femara.  Can anyone share a GOOD experience that they've had with this switch?  The joint pain, especially in my right thumb cmc joint, was disabling on Anastrozole.  Please keep the not so good experiences in the past.  I'm looking for those who had success because I need to hold on to hope that the Femara will be better than the Anastrozole.  Thanks!  Smile 

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Csquared, on my 3rd year.  have had ups & downs, but for the most part I'm fine on Femara.  JOint pain is minimal & not certain it's attibutable to the pill anyway.  Good luck.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

C-squared, I have joint pain on femara, ain't gonna kid you on that, but I find it completely bearable, for the time being anyway (8 months so far). My hands are achy first thing in the morning, but it passes quickly. My hips feel creaky when I get up after sitting a while, but that also passes quickly. I do get pain in the joints in my feet, and that can be annoying, but it can be "walked off," with a bit of determination, and it is not all that intense.

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045

Hi C-squared - love your avatar.  My experience with it is about the same as Momine. 

• Amy-Bo-Bamy
    Amy-Bo-Bamy Member Posts: 2

I've only been on it two weeks and can hardly function. Fatigue, nausea, fluish, migraines. No quality of life if on phenergan and painpills every night. I had a nasty reaction to Arimidex- so still searching.

Amen to what Day said

My SE's are giving me no quality of life and will end up homeless so a lot to think about and talk to my Dr about this week

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693

The only SE's that I've really had are:

nauseated with alcohol - haven't had a drink in 6 months Cry

Refuse to take Levaquin and Femara together- this caused MAJOR joint and muscle pain for 3 weeks while on it.

Thinning of hair- it was a huge shock at first but now I'm used to it, plus I have some to lose.

Other than that, I have not had any "real" SE's

• Amy-Bo-Bamy
    Amy-Bo-Bamy Member Posts: 2

Interesting- I just finished Levaquin yesterday- so maybe I will feel better soon!

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693

Amy- are you having pain in your legs, feet, arms and fingers? That's where mine hurt the most.

• sandrav
    sandrav Member Posts: 1

Hi girls, hope that you had a nice Thanksgiving.

I tried taking Femara and in a very short time the side affects are affecting my life negatively. I have been researching for hours and would like to point out that so many things in our environment are full of estrogen including the meat, milk, plastic bottles, the lists goes on. Many young girls start their periods early, or have breasts due to the hormones. 

I am feeling: Why take these pills and then get slammed with outside estrogen's. I also read that estrogen stores in the fat tissues, I wonder BMX has anything to do with the level of side affects.

It would be a good poll.

I do now understand the need for eating well, organic if possible and exercise. Drinking lots of water.. ok I have the drinking lots of water down 

• C-squared
    C-squared Member Posts: 338

I am definitely beginning to second guess my switch from Arimidex (Anatrozole) to Femara.  I haven't started the Femara (generic?) yet but you ladies are making me very anxious!  I was hoping to hear of some POSITIVE experiences with a switch of this type. I DO understand that ALL of the AIs  are estrogen depleting drugs. I was just hopeful that perhaps one reacted different than another based upon our individual biology.   Any advice? 

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437

C-squared- I think responses to meds are very individual and the only way to know how you will respond is to take it and see how it goes. There are definitely some people who do well on Femara; I hope you are one of them. Best of luck!

• kdeit
    kdeit Member Posts: 20

I switched from Arimidex to Femara about 4 years ago because I was having such unpleasant side effects with Arimidex - in my case, it was worth the switch - I have some side effects, but nothing like the ones I had on Arimidex.

I hope you'll have the same experience, but since we are all different, there's really no way to tell for sure until you have tried it.  I wish you the best of luck

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

c squared-ChrissyB is another who switched from another AI to Femara.  she is a very happy that she switched gal. 

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

C-squared, Eph is right. I switched from Arimadex to Femara because I had NO quality of life on the A. The SE's from Femara are so minimal for me that other having to take it life is good!

Everyone reacts differently so give it a go.......you'll never know if you don't try. Good luck!

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Sandra, I eat very little meat and dairy after my DX and keep thin. I also exercise and make sure to get lots of fiber in my diet. 

I had a BMX, but I can't say if that has anything to do with what SEs I do and don't have.

• gardengumby

C-Squared - I switched from Tamoxifen (BRUTAL) to Femara - not bad.  I never had Arimadex, so can't speak to that, but as others have said - everyone is different.  I personally have no foot pain and very little and only occasional pain in other joints (including hands).  I've been on femara for a little over a year.  I do get occasional muscle pain primarily in my thighs, but it seems that as long as I take Vitamin D-3 religiously that pain is held at bay.

Good luck.

• Scottiee1

Any of you ladies experiencing back pain with Letrozole????I have been on it for 8 months now and my back aches all the time!!!!!

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• gardengumby

Well, I'm taking letrozole and I've got back pain, but I had back pain before I ever started the letrozole.  I do now, though, have more hip pain (had a density scan, though and it was GREAT, so I don't think it's that (for me, at least))

• Scottiee1

Hi Day: Thanks for responding......I also had a bone density test done a few months ago

and I'm still in the green zone, which is good, so I don't think it's that either. I used to get

mild backaches before BC....I'm 65 so attributed to my age, but yesterday, I could have cried with the pain. I took two Tylenol extra strength and an anti-anxiety pill and today my

back feels much better, not perfect, but better. Someone posted before that if you have a

weak area in your body ie your back, that's where Letrozole will hit, perhaps that's it, who knows. Reading way back (2009) I noticed quite a few women complaining of back pain

so maybe just another SE to add to the list.....lol