Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Day, lol on the unicorns and I agree. I do try to look for the bright side whenever possible and it does help me. But when I have been hit by really crippling SEs, in my case from the taxotere, no amount of positive thinking could drag me out of bed. 

• jittersmom
    jittersmom Member Posts: 79

Linda...lots of good points. I belong to a support group and it hard when a newly diagnosed lady is there and someone shares the worst case scenario. I have come to learn that i am one of those that gets all the weird side effects, but I talk to my oncologist and we try to find a solution!

• Shrek4

• Momine

Day, I had some wheezing this summer and had a CT to rule out fibrosis (or worse). I seem to have escaped this fun SE. The docs could find no reason for my breathing problem, but it disappeared when I started eating better and taking some magnesium.

• Shrek4

• Unicorns shitting rainbows... Hmmm -- I don't think anyone had ever described me that way before! :)

Funny thing is that up until about 2-3 years ago, I was the one LEAST likely to look for the bright side... but I went back to college -- took Philosophy, Psychology, Interpersonal Communication, Sociology -- all of which taught me the technique of stepping out of my own (limited) view of the world -- and encouraged me to look at the 'bigger picture'... and the science behind emotions and health.

Our brains search through the millions of bits of information that bombard us every day ... looking for connections to things that we found significant in the past. Human brains are wired to do that -- and if we focus importance on negative experiences -- THAT is the sort of connection that our brain will search out. 

"Law of Attraction" -- well, I never mentioned that -- but I think that is sort of "metaphysical short-hand" for what the science behind it -- which is what I just mentioned.

If our view of the world is that "Love is Hard" and "Relationships are Difficult" -- then those are exactly the sort of connections and conclusions that our brain will make... and the sort of experience we will have in life. We will be suspicious of getting close, and sabatoge good relationships by coming from such a negative context. Our brains will find the evidence to prove that view of the world.

In the same way -- our brains will search for (or even create) physical symptoms and disease -- and contribute its own orchestra of chemicals into the blood stream to support our NOT feeling well -- if that is where we concentrate our attention.

This is NOT to deny that we also have a physical body -- and actual disease. Our bodies are deteriorating -- and rejuvinating -- all the time. At some point the scales are tipped, and the deterioration takes the lead... but this is just a part of being in human form on this planet. Each and every one of us is nearing death with every breath we take.

Anyway -- all my college study (and new/deeped understanding of the way my mind worked -- and how I could acutally CHOOSE the emotions I was going to experience... ) was going on at the same time I was care-taking Dad through his daily radiations and occasional chemo, along with a multitude of doctor appointments and the occasional surgery. He was TIRED. Many times a day we had to deal with getting nutrition into him. My mother was so deep in denial and depression that she needed my help nearly as much as Dad did.

Dad and I focused on the 'positive' reasons to get past the cancer. One day at a time we managed his care -- including his mental health -- focusing on the beauty of nature (which is what got him through). We planned a great cross-country trip for when his chemo/rad was through -- and cancer was 'gone'.

And -- we DID it! As he said -- he "kicked cancer's ass"! His onc said that Dad's success was in the top 2% of all the esophogeal patients he had ever had -- and that Dad's positive attitude and the fact that he kept 'getting nutrition' was what did it. I can tell you that 'getting nutrition' was not easy for him. If we had needed to resort to a feeding tube, I am sure it would have taken away his will to keep going. So many many MANY times a day -- I would carry him a "Boost" or an "Ensure" -- and stand there until he at least took one sip. Then I'd be back in about 30 minutes to see if he had taken any more -- and stand there, smiling-but-firm, until he at least took another. 

But I think it was planning the trip that really was his biggest incentive! When chemo/rad was finished -- We visited 7 National Parks from Kansas City to Tucson -- and drove through some incredible natural wonders -- like Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon, and the Petrified Forest. Dad and I even hiked some of the easy trails at Hovenweep, to see the ancient Indian dwellings... But the planning of the trip was almost as much fun as the taking of the trip! It gave us something positive to focus on... it was our dangling carrot.

And then we took a second trip later that summer -- to Maine - for my older sister's wedding! Dad walked my (then-60-year-old sister!) down the aisle -- as she married her E-Harmony Honey of 3 years. What a wonderful trip that was -- we dilly-dallied through CT and VT on the way home -- drinking up the scenery...took the back roads -- and stopped in OH to see the old family graves and visit my Dad's one remaining relative...

Then, about 2 weeks after we got home, he had a major seizure, and they found a brand new primary (stage IV) brain tumor. We immediately moved into Hospice, where I spent the last month of his life with him. Believe me -- if we had wanted to focus on the negative -- it could have been a very tragic time. But instead, we celebrated his life (and our love for each other) every single day. He was completely cognizant and "with us" until the very end. Dad and I had lots of long talks about the afterlife -- and I even asked him to (once he was in Heaven and if he was bored... :) look around down on Earth -- and to send me a 'Good Man'. (BTW -- I think he did -- I am in the very best relationship of my life now -- living on a gorgeous (huge) ranch that spans from 6000' to 13000' elevation -- and I see my Dad here in every glorious sunset or mountain vista). 

Anyway -- When the nurses thought that Death was close, one suggested that we might want to take Dad's bed out into the garden (they had a beautiful garden, and Dad and I had spent many many hours out there together. Dad had taught Boy Scouts for 50 years -- and was an avid outdoorsman. The nurse's idea was a brilliant one -- and they took out both our beds... to sleep under the stars. 

All night long I talked to Dad -- poured out all my love to him -- reminisced about our camping trips and hikes together -- rambled on about possibilities of God and Afterlife... Told him again (and again) how much I loved him, and was thankful for our time together on this beautiful planet. 

Four days and three nights we stayed outside, watching the fall leaves turn deeper red and brighter yellow. The constellations and moon passed overhead -- we shared the glorious sunrises and sunsets. I likened it to a mountaineer's base camp... with family and friends (and me) as his crew... supporing him as he readied himself for the final ascent to Heaven.

What could have been tragic and painful and the WORST experience of my life -- was instead -- full of love and epipnany. I found out what love (and love-of-life) really was. 

Anyway -- long post. 

But my reason for doing so is to help explain that we each get through this life by using our own unique thinking. Some of us believe that focusing on appreciation and the beauty in this life helps us not only 'move through' tough times -- even physical pain -- but also allows us to find enlightenment and personal strength.

I am a completely different woman than I was only 3 years ago. And I use the lessons I learned with Dad every single day in my own life now -- and it has helped incredibly for me to find the blessings hidden in my own dx. I could have stayed in "this isn't fair"! about my cancer -- after all, I was dx'd only 6 months after over a year of care-taking my Dad through his cancer... and I had just fallen in love with Les. But what could have been an incredible "burden" on a new/budding love -- instead became an opportunity to move faster and bond tighter. Les has SO stepped up to the plate -- is a wonderful nurse and support team... as soon as we got my dx he invited me to move in out here, and he wanted to be my partner in this. The bc gave him the opportunity to show me what a truly wonderful/compassionate man he is.

I must say that if this is "shitting rainbows" -- then I can only say that I am VERY happy that I learned to do this -- Because shitting them is MUCH more pleasant thatn shitting ON them!

We each do the very best we can in every single moment. We continually choose how we will experience life... no matter what Life brings us -- and we each have the choice to focus on the joy or the pain.

I choose joy.

My best to you all!

Linda

• Momine

@] I went to a lung doc and he said it sounded exactly like asthma. I started taking magnesium for a different reason, but then realized that the breathing problems had stopped. When I checked, I found that asthma can be a symptom of magnesium deficiency.

Linda, I think what you are talking about is being master of your emotions instead of letting your emotions master you. This has been sound advice since ancient times, the "unexamined life" and all that. Where I draw the line, however, is when people assume that mastering emotion means we can also will our physical condition to be something other than what it is.

• Momine -- If you believe that people can 'worry themselves sick' -- then even you believe that we can 'will our physical condition to be something other than it is". 

Science shows that petting an animal can lower blood pressure and spike endorphins... and I have read that animal therapy is even used in some hospitals. This is a simple example of our emotions having a physical effect on our body's physiology. 

I know that when I 'will myself' to be calm, release worry, and 'relax into it' -- that the pain of the needle prick is lessened. I know that when I concentrate on the pain at physical therapy it hurts more -- and that if I can instead visualize my muscles responding to the stretch and scar tissue releasing -- instead of the 'pain' -- the hour passes faster. Yes - I am still sore... and my body has an actual physiological reaction -- but my pain is LESS because I don't dwell on it.

So -- yes -- I do believe that we can lessen our symptoms and pain by focusing elsewhere. Because thinking 'pain' signals our brains to send out adreneline and toxic chemicals that make us feel the pain more intensely. 

Of course there are limits to this. I don't think we can spontaneously heal ourselves. Or at least I can't do that -- but I do know that if I 'look for' something to be wrong -- I sure as heck will find it... and that by perseravating over it, I can easily make any symptom worse.

I don't think I can will an amputated leg to grow back. 

I do think I can will the pain down by notches -- and decrease pain by decreasing worry.

• Momine

Linda, I don't actually believe that people can worry themselves sick. 

I do agree with you that being in control of yourself and your emotions can help you get through a serious illness.

• I know I have made myself nauseous with worry. 

I know that I have had physical symptoms from panic attacks during my divorce (inability to breathe, racing heart, increased blood pressure) ... and that worry and depression depleted my appetite and made me physically lethargic... which increased my depression and inertia.

These are physical reactions to emotional state. The more worry -- the worse the symptoms.

Bio-feedback removes thought from pain by creating a new focus.

And placebos can actually cause some healing -- that is the power of the mind.

Yes?

• Momine

It depends on the person, and how much the person is in charge of his/her emotions. I already said that you can cope better if you work to maintain a good attitude. However, I do not believe that you can make femara side effects or cancer go away by willing it away. 

My feet often hurt from the femara. If I shrug and go for a walk, the pain bothers me less, but the pain is there all the same.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

I beg to differ, Day, but though some of the side-effects are the loss of estrogen - it does not necessarily mean it is all of them.  I had a notable difference in side-effects from one brand of letrozole to another - both had the same effect on estrogen but they had different "fillers" which can also affect your overall well-being.  And tamoxifen almost killed me - I'm now technically regarded as "allergic" to it.

Linda - for the most part I agree with your statements regarding mental health affecting physical health, just as physical health will affect mental health. 

• Shrek4

• carolmabry
    carolmabry Member Posts: 1

In my case 2-3 weeks.  I began Femara 3 weeks ago today..taking it at night with a small dose of Ambien to sleep... I don't feel the joint pain unless I get up during the night so it is bearable.  3 days ago UTI symptoms began with no UTI bacteria present. My O has taken me off for 2 weeks to determine if Femara is the cause of the symptoms.

• calm
    calm Member Posts: 11

carolmabry--I had UTI symptoms with no bacteria as well--it was the strangest thing--and very, very distracting to have. My family doc prescribed Oxybutinyn (for spasmodic baldder or something like that)--in any event it did the trick. I was very relieved.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956

I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV.  I have no experience with unicorns, either during bowel elimination or otherwise.  From my own experience, however, I do know this--

We most certain can "worry ourselves sick."  From short-term maladies (nausea/vomiting, headaches, an asthma attack) to more serious problems (heart disease, stroke), stress can be a killer.  

My own 6-month waltz with Femara has included achy knees and hips, and the aches are considerably relieved with exercise and stretching.  Oh, and the lady hair down there has become a bit sparse, but like who cares?  My oncologist quoted a statistic regarding recurrance reduction to me sometime, and although I can't quote it right now, I'm pretty sure it was higher than 2.3%.  But then everyone's different.

For me, it's "take Femara, take a walk, and thank God for modern science."  I'm doing great and I'm thrilled to have yet another grenade to toss into this pit called breast cancer.  

Maybe I'm just oblivious, though.  I worked all through my TAC chemo, missing a day or two each round (felt like I had the flu without the cough and sore throat), went back to work three days after my lumpectomy/axillary node dissection and twelve days after my mastectomy.  My husby says I'm a tough old bird, and he's probably right, but it's not bravado.  I really felt, and do feel, OK.  

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693

Over the last 4 months life on Femara has gotten better. I no longer have the severe knee, joint or feet pain. Hair is still thinning every day. But I'm used to that now. I try not to look at the amount of hair I clean out of my drains in my shower or my brush. If I wake up bald one day, it will be worth it to say I beat this damn disease in 5 yrs.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790

Hi everyone....I have asked a few times here but no response really so I will ask once more.....lol....does anyone suffer from back pain now since starting Femara....my back hurts a lot and it shifts from top to bottom.....sometimes it's my ribs, sometimes it's

my muscles.....I think some of it is due to anxiety because when I take an anti-anxiety

med it helps a lot. Claritin also helps somewhat. My GP says my shoulder blades are full of knots (hope that's what it is) so I have started to have massage sessions....I've had one and will go for my second next week. I want to be on an anti-anxiety (low dose)

daily but my GP says they are addictive....I say...who cares, I need QOL ....never took any pills before BC but I want some QOL again......any comments ladies???????

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Scottie I think a lot of that pain is due to muscle tension and for that I take extra magnesium or a powder called Ultra Muscle Ease. I don't know if you have same thing in the USA but the compound is used to ease muscle cramps and is made mainly of magnesium but is taken in water to make it easily absorbed. I take a teaspoon full per day in a large glass of water and it seams to take a lot of pain away all over. Massage is good as well but I think in combination they would work even better.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Scottiee1

Hi Chrissy....thank you for responding.....you are wonderful at that....here's the thing....

I agree with you and to that end I started off at the drug store enquiring about muscle relaxants....the pharmacist told me they all contain an ingredient that conflicts with

my meds.....that being Zoloft and occasionally my anti-anxiety pill. How much Magnesium are you taking? I'm not sure about Ultra muscle ease....my guess is that even if we have it here, it will contain that ingredient that conflicts with my meds, but I will certainly check it out.....thank you Chrissy .

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Scottie I take a 600mg once a day. I don't take both the powder and the cap together it's an either or thing. If taken together it works like a laxative and gives me a good clean out.......sorry about TMI but I though you should know that it can effect you that way. I sure hope you can find what gives you comfort.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Shrek4

• Scottiee1

Hi Day....knew I could rely on you also.....what is Flexeril?

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308

Linda, thanks for sharing your story. What a wonderful journey--literally and otherwise--you had with your Dad. I cared for my mom during her final months, and was diagnosed only a month after her death. I am grateful for the time we had together, but also grateful that she did not have to live through my diagnosis and treatment.

On the issue of positive thinking, I believe it's necessary, but not sufficient. "The Secret" is not so much about positive thinking as magical thinking. I don't believe someone can think away their cancer, or most other maladies. OTOH, cognitive therapy has shown that attitude adjustment can be as effective as antidepressants, and there are many other examples of how our thoughts can affect us physically.

Here is something I wrote about positive/magical thinking, in a non-cancer context: http://cronereport.com/2010/01/27/if-you-think-it-it-will-magically-happen/

One thing I've held on to through diagnosis, treatment, and beyond, is that every cancer and every cancer patient is different. I have had no joint pain from femara, yet I suffered much more fatigue and chemo brain than a lot of patients (sbelizabeth, I admire you being a "tough old bird"! I was more like a wounded sparrow, and still not back to full time work). It's been difficult to sort out what causes what...is this ongoing chemo fatigue? Femara side effect? Depression? Did I somehow develop ADD through all this? Or am I just plain lazy? Where positive thinking has helped me is in not beating myself up for whatever I'm going through...and beating myself up has been a lifetime pasttime. If cancer has given me one gift, it has been to accept what life gives me and who/what/how I am and not let it get me down. I've had to accept that I can't do what I used to do, and be positive about that. Which is a very different attitude that "I can do it!". I can't do it, not the way I used to do, but I can figure out what I can do now and be OK with it.

• Scottiee1

Just came from the pharmacist and she reiterated the fact that due to my Zoloft, I cannot take any muscle relaxants....none....😪

I got some tyelenol with codeine, but wil talk to my GP about weaning off of Zoloft in order to take the muscle relaxants since he won't allow me to take the anti-anxiety daily.

Thanks Chrissy and Day for our help. Chrissy I have upped my Mg to 400 and wil start taking 600 later.

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693

Scottie- There are so many drugs that interact with Zoloft it's not even funny. I take glucosamine and 2 advil twice a day and that helps with my back pain and the few joint pains that i have every so often.

Funny story about my Zoloft experience. After I had my daughter back in 2001, I had major depression and was put on zoloft for it. Wasn't getting any sleep at night because of the depression and all the suicidal thoughts I had wasn't helping. I would go to work and be a complete zombie. One day I guess it was working I put my head down on my desk in between calls. I woke up 4 hours later drool all over my computer and desk. I asked my co-worker why she didn't wake me up and she said she tried but I was snoring so loud. She took all the calls for that 4 hours and lied to our boss everytime she called. ha

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

Glad you have such a compassionate and caring co-worker to cover like that!

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi Scottiee,

Have you checked your Vit D3 levels? I have had terrible back pain on Femara, Oncologist suggested to take more pain pills, my Internist find out low D3, after taking this Vit the back pains decreased!

Best Usha

• Scottiee1

Hi Slousha ....thank you for responding ....where was you back pain?....I take 3000 IU

a day, which I would think is more than enough, unless there is poor absorption.