Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

In Honor of Alaska Deb, an idea

Options

Comments

• Onehalf
    Onehalf Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2009
    Options

I plan to e-mail, but some of my comments will be that I am 48 years old, and recently diagnoised with BC, IDC. I was told by my surgeon that by the size of my tumor the cancer cells have been in for 8 years...Why can not medical science detect the cells earlier? Also I was told one out of eight women will be diagnoised wtih BC, I now have a co-worker who is 34 years old, just recently found out she has a very aggressive IDC...her tumor 2 1/2 cm. She felt a lump went in then did a mammogram....Because of her age her medical insurance would not allow a mammogram prior to this........yet her own Mother was facing Breast Cancer 8 years ago (Duh! family history, yet she is too young for a mammogram. We need a change here!).

I think the idea to e-mail is great, but I think we need to be clear in our messages.

Maybe ask our Surgeons and Oncologist what they feel is needed to be more aggressive in helping with a cure, or at least to advance medical science so our statics are not 1 out every 8 women.

Changes need to be made! And no doubt the first step is more $'s need to go to research.

• Onehalf
    Onehalf Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2009
    Options

Whoohoo!  I hope many more sign up to do this.....

Is there anyway to get a count on how many plan on being involved?

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2009
    Options

Don't know OneHalf........I have 51 people signed up on our myspace page so that's 51 there, haven't checked facebook yet and all of the women so far that are aware of it here and on the other breast cancer boards they've posted this on......which from what I understand are several boards.  We still have over 2 weeks to get the word out......which I hope you will help me do!

Luv, hugs and prayers

Deb

• checkum
    checkum Member Posts: 377
    edited January 2009
    Options

I'm in too.

• checkum
    checkum Member Posts: 377
    edited January 2009
    Options

Do we have a similar page on facebook for this??? 

• newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited January 2009
    Options

LInk to KTUU news story about "our Deb" and the roses...

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=9764899

what a wonderful tribute. 

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009
    Options

Yup Checkum sure enuff do although not as many people on there..Atributeto Angels

I made our Feb 14th email campaign a public event also on there, but think still only have 14 people on there......

Deb

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009
    Options

Oh and ya all, I have also sent emails to Robin Roberts (think that's what her name was, the newsperson), Sheryl Crowe, Meliisa Etheridge and Christina Applegate.....all BC survivors...don't know if they will get them or not, but was worth a shot, I asked them to also email, and for any other help they could give us......I'm hoping that if they themselves don't read their emails, that the person who does will indeed get the message to them since it is so important......

Hugs

Deb

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited January 2009
    Options

I sent an email to the White House saying that today is the funeral for our dear Deb and that we are all mourning her loss.   Maybe it will jump start an awareness that there are a LOT of us who will be writing.   I used the "other" for subject, there is a drop down menu to select.   500 characters is not a lot, I used & instead of "and". 

Count me in for Feb 14, if I have not already put my name in.   Hugs and Blessings,   Nancy 

• newvickie
    edited January 2009
    Options

Posted a bulletin on my Myspace with a link to Deb's story.  Will also send an email with the link to the White House and everyone else I can think of.

hugs

V

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592
    edited January 2009
    Options

bump

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009
    Options

bumping too! ;)

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009
    Options

I don't know that it will go anywhere, but I just visited Ellen Degeneres show on the web....as you know, she does a whole show on BC.....I left a very long message for her, included the info on Alaska Deb, the url to the video on the news in Alaska and also what we were doing and asked for her help in anyway, publicity or if she would just even email with us on Feb 14th......Guess we will see what happens!

Deb

• wahine
    wahine Member Posts: 7,590
    edited January 2009
    Options

Good idea Deb---surely this will help to get the word out that we need a cure...NOW!

Kathy

• whoopsiedoodles
    whoopsiedoodles Member Posts: 224
    edited January 2009
    Options

I have a "Why won't Ellen Degeneres put me on her show" facebook page. I am ABSOLUTELY willing to alter that to suit this purpose.  When facebook groups grow, they GROW!  It wouldn't have to be just the sisters from here, then.

Let me know, okay?  I'm here to help. 

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited January 2009
    Options

Count me in too.  I am not on facebook or my space...so I can't sign up there. I will follow the instructions at the top to send emails on the 14th.

Thanks Deb for all of your hard work.

Lisa

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009
    Options

whoopsie, we have a facebook page, called  atributeto angels    But it's not growing too fast, I even entered our email campaign as a public event.......myspace, our url is www.myspace.com/curebreastcancernow   (you don't need a myspace acct to view this) we have like 53 people on there, but that's 53 more emails and the number grows there several every couple of hours.......they also have it on several other breastcancer websites.......

If you would like to alter your facebook feel free to do so, the more publicity we get, the more emails we get.......just let us know the url so we can post it here also.........

We mainly just need to get the word out, even all the women on here don't know about this yet.....I've been trying to post in some forums, but don't really want to make a pest out of myself, i just wish this board had a way to make a public announcement to all............

Luv, hugs and prayers

Deb

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592
    edited January 2009
    Options

bump

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009
    Options

bump

• livesstrong
    livesstrong Member Posts: 207
    edited January 2009
    Options

Just a thought - how about adding Nancy Pelosi to the list??

• Britt
    Britt Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2009
    Options

Another idea may be to send it also to each of our state's U.S. Senators - I live in FL and I have previously e-mailed Senator Bill Nelson (D)  regarding the economy and received a response.  He is very concerned about health care, particularly for the underinsured and uninsured. Pelosi is also a good idea - and also to each of our congressmen/women.

But Deb from Ohio, great idea! 

Britt/Xena the Warrior Princess
    Dx 11/24/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited January 2009
    Options

I guess we can leave that up to each individual.....I started out with Obama, as he spoke about change, spoke about how if we all stood together.....figured since he was new, we would stand a good shot with him, he's still "moldable" as I call it......and I figure since women played a major part in his life growing up, he would have more sentiment towards us......at least it's what I'm hoping....and Sarah Palin was included because Deb was from Allaska.....but if women want to send to their senators, I say go for it.......I won't because of the simple fact that the majority have been in office forever, they all most likely have pharmaceutical lobbyists who wouldn't appreciate their standing up for a cure.......it would mean too much of a loss for their companies......can you tell I don't trust the old school politicians?

Deb

• Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2009
    Options

YOU CAN COUNT ON ME

wonderful idea!!!!  very good way to honor Deb.....

• Bonnielv
    Bonnielv Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2009
    Options

I have been reading all the posts and please count me in.  What about contacting Oprah.  Also, besides the paragraph someone wrote how about starting out

Age, Initial Date of BC dx, and in my case and too many other ladies Stage IV dx date, and then, this may sound morbid but, Date Died.  In my case, as I am stage IV, I would put too soon if there is no cure or something like that!

Initial Date of BC:  3/03

Recurrence Date:  10/07 - Stage IV

Date of Death:  Too soon if there is no cure

• drcrisc
    drcrisc Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2009
    Options

I'm in.  I will alert the girls (again!) on the May 2008 thread, join the Facebook page and maybe attempt to write to Oprah.  This is awesome.

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2009
    Options

President Obama's mother died young of cancer ...ovarian I think

• Britt
    Britt Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2009
    Options

Hi jenni -

His mother died at the age of 52 from ovarian cancer.  From what I read in his book, she had a hard time with her insurance company to approve of treatments and tests. 

• whoopsiedoodles
    whoopsiedoodles Member Posts: 224
    edited January 2009
    Options

Hey ladies,

I have been thinking of a little more publicity....

In terms of facebook, I also began a group called, "Cancer sucks, cancer sucks, cancer SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!"  It has over 150 members in it (I believe).  I can send out a "memo" to members putting in a plea for what we are trying to achieve. 

Also, going off the "Ellen" show, she has a network page where you can either join groups, or begin a group.  I am a member of the Cancer group on there, but there are only 63 members (just checked).  Perhaps there is someone on the group who has some connections, though. 

Another thought?  I am an active Ebayer, and am a member of the HUGE Ebay Christian Sellers group.  There are thousands of active members.  Again, perhaps someone with a connection? 

Just brainstorming....

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2009
    Options

vickie ... i think you have a good idea to check out with an IT expert

ILC, stage 3A ... 4.5 years !!!!!! and counting....

• newvickie
    edited January 2009
    Options

I am forwarding this thread to my sister...she is a IT tech and is afraid that if things are not done correctly all of our emails may become spam and never read. We will see what she thinks and maybe she will post some suggestions as to how to proceed.

Her name is Joan and she's by bff...even if she is my sister!