Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

In Honor of Alaska Deb, an idea

Options

Comments

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2009
    Options

Let us know what she says Vickie!!!!!!

Deb

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited February 2009
    Options

I hope you will create a new thread when a decision is made.  I will watch for it.

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

up to 61 friends on myspace! That's not bad for 3-4 days and that's 61 more emails!

Deb

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2009
    Options

does anyone have an "in" with AOL, or any of the other service providers? I sure think featuring Deb's story on their web page news highlights links instead of say the octuplets would be more inspiring/informative ....

• cmb35
    cmb35 Member Posts: 554
    edited February 2009
    Options

I don't know how to do this myself, but there is that "I-Report" thing on CNN.com, is there a way to post the link to the KTUU story, and explain what we're doing on that?

Also, my plan is to e-mail my friends to ask them to participate.

• newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited February 2009
    Options

I heard back from my sister and her is her reply concerning spam...

****************************************************************************************************************

Hi Vickie,
    I saw the video on Alaska Deb and even I cried and I didn't know her.
    I like the idea of an e-mail campaign but Cornell won't send out a mass mailing to the campus because this would definitely be considered spam. I can talk with someone at the CU press relations office. (I had asked if we could send out emails to the Cornell Community)

I have some ideas for a campaign... I won't be offended at all if you ignore.

Names on a list may not do much good unless there's some proposal for what change you're seeking and how that change can come about. Are there any laws in Congress governing funding for cancer research? If so, lobby to have those laws passed. It would be more effective to have each person write an e-mail to their congressman, senator, lobbyist, and the president demanding that the proposition or law be passed.

Is there a research agency that studies breast cancer research that's having trouble getting funding to find a cure? If so, what's the reason they're not getting funding? Ask how you can help, who you should contact. Start a campaign to bombard those agencies for putting up roadblocks.

Cancer is something everyone has experienced in one way or another. To get Obama or Palin, etc. to listen you need to come to them with ideas on how to solve it. Telling the "to solve it" isn't going to help unless you can guide them in the direction of where/how the help is needed.

I've written letters to congress when animal rights laws have come under attack. I've also written the DEC when they've proposed changes to access to public lands. I think you need to target something very specific and get everyone you know to write an individual letter to the agency requesting some very specific action. Such as The American Cancer Society needs $xxx,xxx to cure breast cancer. Breast cancer affects x million women each year. I ask that you support this agency by funding this important research. Don't just e-mail, send real letters to their offices.

I'll ask Tommy Bruce but I think there needs to be some specific action that you want to see.
    Love,

Joan

********************************************************************************************************

Ok ladies...what shall we do now?  

I like the idea of actually mailing letters to the White House.

I agree that we need to find areas that need funding for the research and bombard whoever is blocking the funding...but...I don't know how.

I think that the Myspace and Facebook ideas are good ones...they are both popular and gain a lot of attention...

Getting major networks involved sounds good...CNN...NBC...ABC...CBS...etc.  Maybe using AlaskaDeb as out "anchor"...

Open to suggestions...

Hugs

v

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited February 2009
    Options

Actual letters are nice, but emails are a lot more likely to happen.

JMHO,
    Binney

• newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited February 2009
    Options

Emails are much more likely to happen...we just have to be careful that they are not "labeled" as spam and not read.  That is the biggest concern.  Maybe we need to spread the emails out over the course of the week...or month...?

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2009
    Options

The biggest issue is that right now, most of the research funding comes from the pharmacutical companies who have a vested interest in coming up with more and better treatments which will reward them with "customers" for a long time, but no incentive to come up with a cure, which would give them a one time payback, but eliminate their customer base going into the future.

Finding a cure needs to become a national/international priority, like the space race was in the sixties.  Being the country or being part of the group of countries that makes the breakthrough and finds the cure will earn huge international status.

This isn't about getting a bill through congress, it is about making finding a cure for cancer the kind of priority that AIDS research was in the 80's and 90's. 

• yellowrose
    yellowrose Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2009
    Options

I'm not an IT person or anything but if the subject lines are similar (but different) wouldn't it be less likely to be marked as spam.?  All the emails would be coming from different IP addresses after all.   Maybe someone more into technology can expalin how to make this less "spammy".

• cjh
    cjh Member Posts: 27
    edited February 2009
    Options

Obama is into efficiency...there is waste and inefficiency in cancer research due to a lack of integration among the genomic/pharmaceutical companies and the clinical research leaders.  There is also a lack of funding directed at the cure, because some of the donations to the cause go to support the (prevention) care and treatment of the many women experiencing this disease...but far more is going to those companies that paint or put a pink ribbon on their product then donate anywhere between 50 dollars to a small percentage to BC.

Can we propose that the President designate at the Cabinet level a person to evaluate the lack of efficiency/increase effectivenss in finding a cure and also set some limits on the use/exploitation of the sacred emotionally appealing pink ribbon (ie. businesses would need to donate 10 percent or more of their profits from the product to an organization that funds research)...awareness is biting us in the butt, as many think the flood gates of research money is flowing due to their purchase of pink slippers...

Just some random thoughts...may help form a point of view if we want to ask for specifics in our letters

CJ

• allie1075
    allie1075 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2009
    Options

I think this is a great idea, and i will be sending my e-mails on.  Congrats on such a good idea!!

Allie

• Jenniferz
    Jenniferz Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2009
    Options

As a former IT person from a small school district, sometimes even similarities can hit a filter.  For instance if we use "dx" instead of "diagnosed", that could be questioned.  Even the word "diagnosed" seen hundreds of times by a filter causes an alarm. On our filter, we were able to filter phrases, words, symbols, numbers, and combinations of any or all. I don't have my contacts anymore because I have retired, (yippee!!) but I still know of one or two that may have an answer.

NewVicky's idea of spreading out the emails may not be a bad idea.

Jennifer

• drcrisc
    drcrisc Member Posts: 134
    edited February 2009
    Options

Here's a couple of thoughts about non-government funded research that could be involved - don't ask me how yet! 

Stand Up To Cancer - You might have seen the special back in September.  I think the funding is for private research that is not funded by the government or pharmaceutical companies.  I think they are at www.standuptocancer.org

Army of Women - There was a brief spot about this in late September/early October.  It was formed by Dr. Susan Love, I am part of their research "group" and get emails regularly.  This one is specifically "to eradicate breast cancer" and they also fund new research.  They are at www.armyofwomen.org

Just wanted to put them out there...

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

I agree with Patmom and CJH, this needs to be a priority and we need to find the cure here in our country, and as for CJH, you're right there is too much waste..........#1 is this needs to be a priority........too many good people are dying,  too many that  are newly diagnosed......we need to stress these facts in  our emails.......

I've seen so many good ideas........all I know is  that a mass email campaign has  to work......if we can get enough people to where we're at least noticed, maybe we can do a little good  at least bring it to Obamas attention........face it he's  a man, he probably doesn't even know the stats on BC.............

sorry wasn't ignoring everyone all day,got a new computer, went from XP to Vista.......and it hasn't been easy getting everything running again!

hUGS

Deb

• WellWater
    WellWater Member Posts: 4,524
    edited February 2009
    Options

Vickie's sister, Joan, has many valid points.  I was an integral part of a small governmental system in a small town and I know first hand how many people come forward after a new administration takes over with requests.  She is very right that handwritten missives get more attention than scores of emails.  Anyone can send an email but when someone takes the time to actually send a handwritten message, it gains importance.  I send letters to my state senator with health insurance ideas several times a year - I get responses via snail mail and even if they are written on a form letter by an aide I still feel as though he "heard" my message.

And yes, we must have specific goals not just a blanket plea for a cure.  I will send emails and figure out how to access facebook and myspace but I also intend to follow up with handwritten letters.

One idea is that we also target Michelle Obama - as first lady she will have the world as an audience.  I think if she can be convinced to put a cure for cancer on her agenda, we would gain a powerful partner in this fight.

JMHO, Love Trina

• Monique
    Monique Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was just going to say the same thing as wellwater did - I think we should try Michello Obama, she is presently coming up with what her roles will be according to the media - maybe we can push her to take this one on.

Monique

• whoopsiedoodles
    whoopsiedoodles Member Posts: 224
    edited February 2009
    Options

Okay.....

This has been weighing heavily on my heart (as it has with all of you, too). 

I've been thinking and thinking about this, and something struck me. 

I know you all have read John's post by now about Deb's service.  One of the things that struck me the most about this is that she had over 500 people at her service! 

I told dh tonight, "When I die, I want 500 people at my service." 

He looked at me a bit oddly, but I explained a bit further...

Deb was such an incredible person, and reached out to so many on such a personal level.  So many of us who wrote posts said the same thing, "I never MET Deb, but...." 

We all felt so close to her because she was always quick to laugh, quick to reach out, and quick to love. 

This is just a thought, but I couldn't help but wonder....

I am sure that all of these big-name venues we are mentioning have had countless letter-writing campaigns sent to them before. 

If we want to stand out, perhaps we need to do something a bit different. 

Perhaps, if on our Facebook pages, our MySpace pages, our blogs, we all take a pledge. 

We can all take a pledge, inspired by Deb, to be the kind of person that she was.  We can reach out a little more, love a little more, laugh a little more. 

We can "recruit" as many people as we can (this thought inspired by Facebook Causes) to do the same. 

If we word it just so, if we recruit as many as we can, perhaps we can get our plea out.  Perhaps we can strike a chord with the higher-ups that we are all recruiting and begging to truly find a cure because we do NOT want to lose any more beautiful people. 

JMHO.  

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2009
    Options

I see the emails on February 14th as just the first wave of an ongoing campaign to make curing cancer a national and international priority. 

This initial campaign is to give our president an idea of how important this is to us, and to get him on board.  We need to appeal to him on a personal and professional level.  He, like virtually every adult in this country has lost people he loves to cancer.  He needs a "big idea" to rally people behind, and this is a cause that everyone on all sides of the aisle can agree on.  Curing cancer will also free up health care dollars to be used in other places, and will make universal health care coverage a more affordable goal.

I think that what we can do here is to gather statistics and post them here.  Then we each compose our own emails, and possibly share some of those in a "copy, paste and fill in your specifics" format for people who feel less comfortable composing a letter on their own.

Those initial emails should be followed up by snail mail, and or phone calls to Obama and to all of our Representatives and Senators. 

We can make things easier by posting contact info for the president and members of congress in a nice central location.

• wahine
    wahine Member Posts: 7,590
    edited February 2009
    Options

PatMom,

I like your idea of a "format" so we don't have to compose an entire letter ourselves (for those that would not want to compose a letter)...others could write a different letter if they want to. And then we could also send the same letter via snail mail; again this would be easier for some of us. And would result in more letters being sent. I know, for me, it would be more likely to happen if it were simplified. If they read all the emails, then the snail mails would just be more of the same, but if they don't read the emails, then at least the snail mail would get their attention!

All of the input here has been so great. I am on board, but just need more "direction"!

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

I kinda like the idea of both email and snailmail...........that way if one wasn't read, theres another chance that the other will be.....

Also as for Michelle Obama, I read  this morning that  she was planning on championing for women......so she might be a good one to add to  our list............

Deb

• 1Cathi
    1Cathi Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Just as an FYI the e-mail to the President will only except 500 characters - it will cut you off if the e-mail is longer, I know that from a past experience. 

When you do "contact us" it says 500 characters at the bottom and thats all it will except.

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

hm read this I just got from the Susan J.Kohman foundation but I don't want it to stop us though:

-------------------

Do you remember when we called on the presidential candidates,
    through our I Vote for the Cure campaign, to share their plans
    to make cancer a priority in their administrations? President
    Obama answered that call and shared his plan for improving
    health care and fighting cancer.

His plan includes elements crucial to discovering and delivering
    the cures, such as doubling funding for cancer research over the
    next five years, expanding early detection services, and closing
    the gaps in access to treatment for disadvantaged women.

Today - Wed., Feb. 4 - is World Cancer Day, making it the
    perfect time to thank President Obama for his commitment and to
    remind him that this issue should remain at the top of his
    agenda.

Click below to send President Obama an online postcard thanking
    him for his commitment to improving health care and putting an
    end to cancer.
    http://komenpolicy.org/campaign/obamapostcard/3kgds889zjjw8iki?

You know the statistics. One out of eight American women will be
    diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. More than 40,000
    women died of the disease just last year alone.

But you also know that the fight against cancer is about more
    than just staggering statistics. It's about our mothers and
    grandmothers, our daughters, our sisters and our friends.

Many pressing issues will continue to fight for President
    Obama's attention during his first few months in office - so we
    need to let him know we want him to make ending cancer one of
    his top priorities.

Show President Obama that we appreciate him making cancer a
    priority. Send your online postcard today!
    http://komenpolicy.org/campaign/obamapostcard/3kgds889zjjw8iki?

Over 100,000 activists signed our I Vote for the Cure petition.
    Imagine if President Obama received 100,000 postcards today from
    breast cancer activists. Let's strengthen our impact - once you
    have sent your postcard - make sure your friends and family send
    one too! Click below to spread the word.
    http://komenpolicy.org/campaign/obamapostcard/forward/3kgds889zjjw8iki?

• hollyann
    hollyann Member Posts: 279
    edited February 2009
    Options

Bumping this thread!

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited February 2009
    Options

I like the idea of the subject line being different for each of us, whether it's our own dx, or in honor or memory of someone else. 

I agree with the suggestion that we have something specific to request.  Yes, a cure is a specific request, but the method of achieving one is complex. I'm not sure what AlaskaDeb believed the answer might be for how we achieve a cure.  I know what I believe, though.  I think my letter will look something like this: 

Dear President Obama:

I belong to a group of breast cancer survivors who are joining together this Valentine's day to impress upon you how desperately thousands, if not millions, of people are desperately needing a cure for cancer.  I write to you in memory of AlaskaDeb, Deb Clonan of Soldatnak Alaska, who was recently snatched from her friends and loved ones by stage IV metstatic breast cancer. 

I don't know what Deb believed would be the answer to this killer disease, but I know what I believe.  I believe that we are wondrously and miraculously made.  I believe the world is a divine masterpiece that contains everything we need to live, prosper and multiply.  

To my mind, it is counterintuitive to believe that mankind has lived and breathed on this planet for millenia only to be at the mercy of modernday pharmaceutical companies to discover the cure for our ills. Cancer isn't new.  And it isn't going away with the tools we've been using. 

I believe the answer for the cure is to let in more players.  We've had enough of money-hungry pharmacuetical companies and penny-pinching insurance companies looking over the shoulders of every doctor. 

Our current health care system is broken at every conceivable level. So please, in the spirit of reaching across the aisle with a bipartisan spirit, please consider that our answer might come to light from cooperation between allopathic and alternative methods of medicine. 

Please, let us have more choices.  Grant us equal access to naturopathy, chiropractic, herbalism, Chinese medicine, Ayurveda, homeopathy, acupuncture and all manner of healing practices.  Level the playing field locally and globally in all the arenas. 

Too many American are without insurance.  Some Americans can't get insurance due to preexisting conditions.  Even with insurance, a serious health condition bankrupts thousands of households every year.  Our system is so broken with the existing players that it truly is beyond repair.  Let people have more choices than allopathic medicine.  Please.  Let more players participate.  Truly, I believe this is something you can help achieve. 

Signed,

lil ol me

------------

I'm a strong believer in people using their own words for self expression.  I think this is what I'll be saying on Saturday.  I hope it might get some of you started on your own letters also.  Clearly, we are all free thinking people here.  My vision of what the answer could be will be different than probably everyone else's here.  It's not my intent to dictate anyone's letter.  I do think it's important, though, to have some kind of simple suggestion for a plan of action.  Obama isn't a researcher or a physician, so it just seems appropriate to suggest something within his capabilities.  just my two cents.  your mileage will vary

• AnnaM
    AnnaM Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2009
    Options

I love your letter, Althea, and I thank you for the inspiration. Count me in for the emails and for the snailmail letters. I will send them to anyone in "power" whose coordinates I know. I will speak to my women's group at our meeting tomorrow and ask them to join in. What a wonderful way to observe Valentine's Day!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2009
    Options

Im way behind on this thread.

Since the 14th is almost here.

How about a new thread with Emailing etc...In the title...And then In Honor of AlaskaDeb in the post...So that others will see what we are doing.   This 'Idea' thread will nto be seen by everyone as much ( I dont think)

And then a sumation of who we all can email & ideas or a Form letter that would make it easier for some of us to send out.

Pam

• BooBee
    BooBee Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2009
    Options

Bump

• BooBee
    BooBee Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2009
    Options

This may be something to request.  It is controversial but it's what I'm asking for in my emails.

.....Researchers in Texas and throughout America are eagerly waiting to hear that President Barack Obama has lifted restrictions on using human embryonic stem cells in research, an event the US media is expecting to happen later this week............

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/137468.php

• Onehalf
    Onehalf Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2009
    Options

I do plan on e-mailing on the 14th, but I am a little conerned about what our message will be to Obama.

As pointed out earlier if we don not ask for specific things then our message will be pushed to the side.

Should we set up specific points to mention? Are we all asking for the same thing? Should we have "key" phrases that all of us try to get in our letter?

I would just hate to see everyone  time and care be pushed to the side and rejected as spam mail.

I myself is asking for a review and changes made to women getting mammograms....a law governing all medical insurances to use the same system and coverage for all women ( lowering the age of women recieving mammograms) $'s spent for women who can not afford mammograms.

I would like to see more money spent on research of breast cancer, but not sure exactly where to ask for this money to go as there is so many different companies.

I do know that there is a US Breast Cancer postage stamp, with 8 cents of every stamp sold going to breast cancer research and cure.....I think it is time to change that 8 cents to 10 cents. ( and making more people aware that this is out there, as I did not know until I had breast cancer)

I think e-mailing Obama is an excellent idea!