Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

In Honor of Alaska Deb, an idea

Options

Comments

• BooBee
    BooBee Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2009
    Options

Excellent points Onehalf.

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2009
    Options

I'm just going to ask that more effort be put into a cure.  We're losing too many great women each year needlessly and all this research has gone on for decades..it's time to stop it.  It's time for the US to be #1 in medical issues and if we're number one in curing any type of cancer, it will be a HUGE legacy for Obama to leave when he leaves office.

Deb

• lewisfamily503
    lewisfamily503 Member Posts: 101
    edited February 2009
    Options

Let's keep this thread front and center.  We need EVERYONE to do this simple act!!! If all of us emailed Obama on Saturday, think of the impact!

• BooBee
    BooBee Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2009
    Options

bump

• lewisfamily503
    edited February 2009
    Options

Bumping up again...

• AlaskaDeb
    AlaskaDeb Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2009
    Options

Everyone,

Hi It's John Again.

I thought you might enjoy reading this.

www.redoubtreporter.blogspot.com

Take Care.

John

• wahine
    wahine Member Posts: 7,590
    edited February 2009
    Options

When I saw "AlaskaDeb" posted, my heart skipped a beat! It seemed like it was last year, when she was actively posting and helping others...we will always remember her, John. Thanks so much for telling us about her service, and the girls passing out the pink roses. What a special thing to do! I really enjoyed reading what the paper wrote about her, with the link you just posted. Thank you for sharing that with us. I know this is still a very difficult time for you and the girls, but you are all in our hearts and prayers, and I am glad you still are posting here. Big (((HUGS))) to you and the girls, Kathy

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

I think John if you don't mind, I am going to put that link into my email to Obama.........what a touching tribute to such a wonderful, warm hearted person....

Hugs and prayers

Deb in Ohio

• yellowrose
    yellowrose Member Posts: 181
    edited September 2010
    Options

Thanks for posting the article.  It is very touching.

• lewisfamily503
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Dear John,  Thanks so very much for posting this article.  It made me both laugh and cry.  I MISS DEB!!!!!!!    Her spirit will forever be a part of this place. 

Hugs to your wonderful family,  Anne 
  • Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I'm Battling Cancer. How About Some Help, Congress?

By Patrick Swayze
    Sunday, February 8, 2009; Page B04

For me, fighting cancer is personal. Ever since I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January 2008, I've been waging an intense, often hellacious battle. It's me (with a lot of love and medical support) against my disease.

But I'm not alone. More than 1.4 million Americans will be diagnosed with cancer this year. In the United States, one out of three women and one out of two men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetimes. Look around you; at one point or another, cancer will strike very close to home for everyone. Last week, it struck one of our legal titans, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who underwent surgery at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer during a routine checkup. She was already a colon cancer survivor. Both of us hope to be pancreatic cancer survivors, too.

Our individual battles should also be national ones. With Congress about to decide how much money to include for medical research as part of the economic stimulus package, the time has come to take my personal fight to a larger stage. My message to our senators and representatives is simple: Vote for the maximum funding to let the National Institutes of Health fight cancer and other life-threatening illnesses. It's not only good for our nation's health; it's also good for our economic well-being.
    ad_icon

Congress is facing two proposals: a bill approved by the House of Representatives, which includes $3.5 billion for the NIH, and a Senate bill that provides $10 billion for lifesaving scientific work. At a moment when our economy is on its back, the money will also create high-paying jobs and spark economic activity in every part of the United States: The NIH funds projects at hospitals, universities and medical research facilities in towns and cities in each of the 50 states. This money will help every region of America, as well as the individual Americans who will be diagnosed with cancer across the land. Congress should be aggressive and vote for the $10 billion.

The Senate measure would provide funds for thousands of research projects that have already passed through scientific review and can start at a moment's notice. On average, these projects support seven jobs each, according to Acting NIH Director Raynard S. Kington -- which would create tens of thousands of jobs nationwide if Congress approved the full $10 billion. According to Families USA, a nonprofit group that works for better health care, every dollar in federal research spending generates about $2.20 in total economic activity in communities that host funded projects -- about $22 billion in all under the Senate measure.

And lest we forget: Medical research will also extend and save lives, expand treatment options and improve the quality of life for millions of Americans.

New funding is especially important now because it will enable us to build on recent breakthroughs. The mapping of the human genome has provided a springboard into an era of personalized medicine, one in which doctors can tailor treatments to fit individual patients and their unique conditions. We also know more now than ever before about cancer's molecular nature and the way it responds to interventions. New research money will let us take maximum advantage of this new knowledge.

The good news is that we have seen progress against a number of cancers in recent years. The bad news is that for many other kinds, including the type of tumor that has invaded my pancreas and liver, the results are not very good at all. Survival rates for pancreatic cancer, the fourth leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States, are very low and have barely budged over the past 30 years. To date, research has not identified either early detection tools or effective treatments for pancreatic cancer.

When I was growing up in Texas, my family had a simple response for challenges like this: "Stop talking about it, and do something about it." That's how I feel about finding more money for cancer research. My hope is that some day, the words "a cure" won't be followed by the words "is impossible."

Some may question why medical-research spending should be part of an economic stimulus package. They may say that we need more money for "infrastructure." But in fact, medical research supports jobs and infrastructure. By advancing good health, it also enables Americans to reach their individual potential and contribute more to society.

Every year, life-threatening illnesses deprive the economy of hundreds of billions of dollars' worth of lost work time and productive output. Investment in medical research will cut that loss dramatically. The University of Chicago economists Kevin M. Murphy and Robert H. Topel recently estimated that reducing cancer deaths by just 1 percent would provide a $500 billion benefit to the economy in productivity gains and lower health care costs. What we sometimes call "human capital" and what I call "people power" is the most important infrastructure there is.

So here's my plea to Congress: Stand up to cancer. Stand up for people fighting serious disease. Stand up and help restore America's economy. Stand up and help build a prosperous and healthy future for our people by giving the NIH $10 billion for research. Stand up to create jobs, fight illness and deliver hope.

swayzewashingtonpost@gmail.com

Patrick Swayze is an actor whose films include "Ghost," "Dirty Dancing" and "Point Break." He currently stars in the A&E Television Network series "The Beast."

More on washingtonpost.com

• Monique
    Monique Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2009
    Options

John - what a great article and tribute to your wonderful wife.  We will all miss her.  Prayers and Love to you and your girls.

• mandapanda
    mandapanda Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

This is a great idea! This is my first post. My mom was diagnosed in 2005 with IIIB Breast Cancer. In August 2008 she was dx'd with Bone Mets. Enough research about chemo, pills for pain, and what food can cause Cancer. How about a CURE!!?!?

Im so glad I found this site! You ladies are great and an inspiration!! Thank You!

• Onehalf
    Onehalf Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2009
    Options

Wow! I think Patrick Swayze just gave us a direction in what to ask for in our e-mails.

Asking Congress to approve NIH for $10 Billion for research.

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

Todays The 14th, send those emails ladies!

• rickeydoes
    rickeydoes Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2009
    Options

Happy Valentines Day Every Body,                                                                                         I just finished sending my E-Mail to the President. the is also a fax # 202-456-2461      I'm not sure if maybe some could send some faxes also. Just a thought. Sue

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

bump

• wahine
    wahine Member Posts: 7,590
    edited February 2009
    Options

I want to wish everyone a Happy Valentines Day also! I just emailed the president, but it took awhile to condense my message to less than 5000 words! I just hope he notices all of our emails and will provide the funding to find a cure for this horrible disease!

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

Happy Valentines Day to all

I just sent mine in.............hope this brings awareness to our plight and i really hope every woman on this board sends one in also.

Deb

• Traci-----TripNeg
    Traci-----TripNeg Member Posts: 567
    edited February 2009
    Options

I just sent mine too.

Hugs, Traci

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

bump since this is so important!

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2009
    Options

I sent my email.  I had one character to spare.  Anyone who feels more comfortable copying and pasting than composing from scratch is welcome to borrow any or all of it.

In honor of "Alaska Deb" Clonan, I ask you to lead the effort to make curing cancer a priority for the country. 

Cancer costs this country money.  Cancer affects entire families, not just the patients.  A cure would likely have far reaching benefits to the economy, productivity, the healthcare system and the country as a whole.

Like JFK challenged the country to win the space race, please use your office to lead the drive to cure cancer, and reap the acclaim as a visionary when it succeeds.

• newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited February 2009
    Options

Happy Valentines Day all...

I sent out all my emails and my myspace bulletin (thanks Deb)...also wrote handwritten letter and they are in the mail as we speak. 

It can continue onward...if we continue to send emails and letters all month we can gain even more attention.

JOHN....whew...saw Debs name and my heart skipped a beat as well...thank you for posting the wonderful link.  I intend to spread it around.  Hugs to you and the girls.

• bkc
    bkc Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2009
    Options

bump

• lewisfamily503
    edited February 2009
    Options

Just sent out my email to President Obama.  I loved doing this.  It's my birthday today so it was extra special for me!  

Anne 

• GrammyNancy
    GrammyNancy Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2009
    Options

Done!!!!!!!

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

bump

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2009
    Options

Just sent mine.

My Email to  Tom.Daschle@hhs.gov

Was rejected & Bounced back

Pam

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited February 2009
    Options

hmmm don't remember who gave that address....oh well, the important ones are Palin and Obama....

Deb

• GrammyNancy
    GrammyNancy Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2009
    Options

Daschle withdrew from his appointment because of tax problems.  I don't think Obama has appointed anyone to replace him yet.