Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exchange City

Options

Comments

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    edited August 2019
    Options

lisabbb If your infection is solved and cured, you should be good to go forward w/ reconstruction. Ask your PS for specific stats on that exact question. I am so sorry you've been through this very worrisome complication. Stay vigilant, and watch for whatever your surgeon says to watch for (fever, redness etc.). I appreciate your decision to do a pre-emptive strike against further problems, and do the BMX. Sending healing and supportive and warm wishes your way.

• Shoregirl
    Shoregirl Member Posts: 338
    edited August 2019
    Options

Lisabb, thank God you are alright!! Did anyone say what could have brought on the infection? The hypo needle perhaps? I wonder if the solution could be leaking slowly out of the expander? It sounds like they treated the infection but I would want to know what caused it and if that expander should be taken out and a new sterile one put in. I hope you continue to heal and get the answers you want. 5 nights in the hospital...so scary!! Hopefully some ladies on here that have been through infections will chime in here. Hugs!

• lisabbb
    lisabbb Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi all and thank you for those that posted me back. Yes, Hiking Lady, it appears that so far the infection is solved. I actually saw a new dermatologist today and she said that my skin looks very healthy and that cellulitis can happen just from being in the hospital and going through surgery. Her sister had a D mastectomy and recon. She also had a bout of cellulitis and went on to have a successful expander-to-implant procedure. She said that it shouldn't reoccur unless my immune system is compromised by chemo / radiation / diabetes / old age. I don't fall into any of those categories luckily. I don't believe that the saline/solution is leaking from the expander because they did an ultrasound in the hospital and nothing was amiss.

I also saw the PA for my plastic surgeon yesterday who does my fills. She saw a tiny, tiny bit of pink still on my left breast. If all goes well for the next 2 weeks, (over Labor Day), I will be back for my 5th fill on Sept 9th! I just need 2 more fills, MAYBE 3, if she does smaller amounts to get to my target size. Let's keep our finger's crossed for a successful rest of my journey. Blessings to all of you as well. Keep posting, it helps us all. :)))))

Lisa

• Gramto4
    Gramto4 Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi everyone.

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here and wanted to ask if anyone has had their implants swapped out for a smaller size. I had a unilateral MX on my right breast in April of 2018. 6 months later I had the exchange surgery and a 600 cc implant placed in. It’s now been almost a year since then and the implant is too big and we are trying to achieve symmetry with my healthy breast. My doctor has suggested we do some fat grafting to the healthy breast to add fullness. Has anyone had fat grafting and were you happy with the results? How was recovery from the fat grafting?Thanks for your help

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,804
    edited August 2019
    Options

I had fat grafting with my reconstruction, and I am happy. That part of the procedure was a cinch. He took the fat from my hips, as it was "better quality". My extra in the belly, I suppose, is just extra skin from three babies. Being single, and at my age, I am unlikely to ever be concerned about carrying a perfect chest. One is slightly bigger, and if it still is after everything has a chance to settle, I will just pad the smaller one. But that is just me.

• chek2inGA
    chek2inGA Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2019
    Options

10/10- chek2inGA- Exchange and fat grafting surgery scheduled

• chek2inGA
    chek2inGA Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2019
    Options

10/10- chek2inGA- Exchange and fat grafting surgery scheduled

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 856
    edited August 2019
    Options

I went smaller. My first exchange was too big...it is amazing what a small difference made...I went from a Textured (not what I had agreed to!) round at 800, to a smooth and softer round at 700...

For me it was amazing that Whippetmom gave me the exact size and style I have now even though I had to go through two PSs and 3 surgeries to get there.

I have been happier with the second exchange and as a UMX, happy to not have surgery on my remaining natural breast. TT

• Gramto4
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thanks TrmTab, MCBaker, chek2inGA for your replies. I'm home from the hospital and pretty sore in the area where they did the fat grafting. The implant swapping went well and I have to keep the surgical bra on for three days,so I don't know what my smaller implant looks like or how the fat grafting looks on my healthy breast. I can see a lot of bruising and redness at the top. Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend

• aisling
    aisling Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2019
    Options

Gramto4, I switched implant sizes with fat grafting 4 weeks ago. So far I’m really happy. In my first surgery (direct to implant) I ended up with two different sized boobs due to my chest wall being uneven, so now I have a larger implant on that side and it still looks a little smaller but so much better! Crossing fingers I keep as much fat as possible as it looks great right now. Recovery from the exchange is much easier, still sore from grafting but I’m back to work Tuesday and feel ready

• Gramto4
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thanks aisling. I’m glad everything is working out for you and your happy with the results. Today was the first day that I was able to shower and remove the surgical bra they had me wearing. Aside from the bruising from the grafting I think the smaller implant will look more like my real breast. Still pretty sore from the fat grafting but I’ve taken 2 weeks off from work so I can heal completely and be able torest before I return to work.

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hello ladies, so I had a BMX about 8 years ago with reconstruction. My R side was the effected and had radiation. I never finished my reconstruction so one side is more normal and the other looks mangled and a bit smaller due to the tightness of the skin from radiation. Underneath the breasts, especially the right I have pockets of fatty pocket areas, they have been there for years but I just don’t like them there. Especially if I try to wear a bikini top? I want to finish reconstruction and make them even.. maybe even add nipples if my insurance doesn’t kill me with charges. But want to know if you all have experienced the same , do you have fatty pockets just under the breasts. I was told they were nothing. Thank yo

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hello everyone! Today is my 5th anniversary of my BMX. It is hard to imagine it has been that long. Take care as we all traverse this thing we call breast cancer.

Robin

• trmtab
    edited September 2019
    Options

congratulations Robin! I too just passed an anniversary, 4 years since diagnosis...happy to be celebrating 2019 as the first year in five that I haven't had surgery. Small blessings. TT

• notarobot
    notarobot Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2019
    Options

congratulations!!!

• wheatscapes
    wheatscapes Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hey everyone, I need your advice/suggestions:

Had non-nipple sparing BMX in June. TE's placed above pec muscle at time of surgery, already filled to 500ml. I was/am overweight. This left me with a pretty good case of side boob. The breast where the cancer was has a huge indention where the implant stops and the side boob begins. PS says it's because there was more tissue taken due to the cancer. He is pretty dismissive of the indention.

Regarding the side boobs: He said he can get rid of them but at that point it becomes a cosmetic issue, and my insurance may not pay for it. Which I think is stupid as my boobs look bizarre with a side boob. He also said that to get rid of the side boob would require an additional six inch incision on each side that would reach almost all the way back to my back. I asked about lipo and he discounted that, saying a lot of women get it and it never looks good. I also voiced my concern that the expanders have already sagged to the bottom of my chest and are laying on top of my belly, which I was told would not happen. He became dismissive and at that point and starting ignoring my questions, instead talking to his nurse about my surgery date.

I feel like I was sold one bill of goods before surgery and a completely different version now that my exchange surgery is nearing. At the end of the appointment he told me to lose weight and come back in a year to reassess the situation and do another surgery if needed at that time. I have lost 20lbs, and have another 50lbs to go, but I don't want to undergo another additional surgery if I don't have to. I am overweight because the cancer made me very fatigued and depressed, and I medicated with food and stopped exercising. I'm typically a normal weight. I feel like I'm being treated badly because of my weight, or more likely, because I mentioned the over the pec muscle expanders have already sagged to my belly, and he's pretty much exclusively an over the pec surgeon. I was assured before surgery sagging wouldn’t be an issue.

Side note: I thought I was getting a lumpectomy until three days before my surgery, when I found out I have a genetic mutation, so there wasn’t any time to shop around for plastic surgeons. My BS said this guy was excellent and he had mostly good reviews on google. I was in such an emotional state I didn’t have it in me to put the surgery off to consult with more PS’s because I just wanted the cancer out

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wheatscapes - I would say don't do anything without a second opinion. You don't say where you're located but I'd try to see a PS associated with a major NCI or teaching hospital. Sorry you're going through this but you absolutely have the right to have a revision.

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited October 2019
    Options

Go find a new surgeon, and then get a second opinion on whomever you find. Time for a do-over. Please know, however, that your problems sound very fixable and insurance should not be an issue. Your present doc sounds like a jerk

• crossh
    crossh Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wheatscapes, it's too soon to tell what the the outcome will be. I also had 'flaps' under my armpits after the initial replacement of TE to 500cc silicone implants. I also had a large indentation where my initial three lumpectomies occurred (before I decided to throw in the towel and remove both of my breasts prophylactically) I'm one year out, had a minor fat transfer in between, and things look MUCH better. Also, my insurance paid for every surgery. It's not cosmetic, it's reconstruction. This is covered by insurance and sounds like your PS does not know what he's talking about. I also just got reconstructed nipples two weeks ago and will be getting tattoos in about 6 weeks, all covered by insurance.

• hikinglady
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wheatscapes: As others are suggesting, I chime in and agree: ABSOLUTELY you need a new plastic surgeon, and a 2nd opinion after that. Plastic surgeons have different skill sets, anddifferent comfort and experience levels with various types of reconstruction. The more you can learn about the options, the more prepared you’ll be, emotionally and psychologically, for the relative risks and benefits of various choices.

• minustwo
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wheatscapes - I didn't notice your surgery date. Crossh is correct - it will take from 6 months up to a year for swelling and shifting to settle down. Still - I think you need to get a 2nd opinion to put your mind at rest and probably start looking for a new PS. I wouldn't stay with a doc you feel is dismissive.

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2019
    Options

Dear Wheatscapes, agreeing with all the good advice above: find another PS, get second opinion, insurance should cover revision, even the side boobs, etc.

Also sending some great big (((HUGS))), and some hope. You're probably through the worst of your surgeries.

I had a double mastectomy, and then the exchange surgery, and then revision on my left breast, which had developed painful scar tissue and was pushing the implant up into my shoulder blade.

The mastectomy was the hardest recovery. The exchange was an easier recovery than the mastectomy (although some pocket work was a bit sore). The revision was still easier.

My right implant has since turned. I have the textured anatomical (tear-shaped) implants. These are the implants associated with a rare type of cancer called anaplastic large-cell lymphoma (ALCL) has been linked to textured breast implants.

If either implant gives me pain again, or limits my range of motion, I will consider another revision.

Best regards,

Mominator

• trmtab
    edited October 2019
    Options

W - I had a bad first exchange...with such a lost of trust in the PS that I HAD to find another way forward. I did allow myself to heal from the bad surgery and peacefully take the time to find a new PS, My second exchange was 15 months after first. At this surgery some side-boob was removed. I am not perfectly smooth on that side, but it is much better. I do have a scar that extends from the across the breast scar and additional 6 inches across my side body, but not onto my back. I am 10 months post surgery and that scar is almost invisible. The entire second exchange was covered by insurance...TT

• wheatscapes
    wheatscapes Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks everyone -

I consulted with a different PS yesterday. He corroborated my first PS’s stance on needing an extended incision to remove the side boob, and that lipo doesn’t give good results. He didn’t agree that insurance wouldn’t pay for it, as it’s part of reconstruction. He was nice, with a much better bedside manner.

I have another consult scheduled with a PS at an NCI next week. Very highly recommended; he has trained at Johns Hopkins and received awards from other physicians for excellence in his field. I will keep you all posted.

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wheatscapes, I also agree you should look for a new plasticsurgeon. Somewhere on this site is a list of recommended ones. Where are you located? Maybe someone can help.

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited October 2019
    Options

oh just saw your update—great news

• Buttons5104
    Buttons5104 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hello All,

I am wondering if others might weigh in on what silicone smooth implant might aproximate my expanders in appearance?:

133 FV 400 McGhan but expanded to 200 cc fill?- and at 260 fill?

Note: full fill 133 FV 400 (full fill is 400 cc) McGhan expander measures 12 wide, 12.5 high, and 5.3 projection.

I am short at 5' 1" and 107 pounds and 31 ribcage. Implant and expander is under the muscle.

Or if you too are similar proportions- what implant you used and liked? Thoughts on under the muscle? I want to be small-- B OR C-- is fine. Nothing more however...

Thank you for your help!

• hikinglady
    edited December 2019
    Options

Buttons5104 My Plastic surgeon said: "Keep doing fills until you like the size. How those fit in a bra will be almost the same with the implants." I also had implants/expanders behind pecs---it wasn't a choice to do on top because of thin skin. My PS makes a point of matching the implants to the size of the expanders at the end point of fills, and he also matches for rib cage size. My PS takes 2 or 3 sizes of implants into the OR, and decides based on best fit/balance with each torso (rib cage dimensions, torso length, etc), also matching for patient's desired size of the 'look' of final implants. In my case, the size bra I used with my expanders in, when they were at target size I wanted to stay at for implants, was EXACTLY THE SAME once healing was done and swelling was down. He was completely right, and so the look I got as a permanent thing was really the same as how the expanders were (but more natural, because expanders are sort of cubed or squarish).

I'm short and medium statured, and I have B-cups, and they look just fine on me. My original breasts were size D, and I kind of wanted slightly bigger Foobs, but it was not possible. My skin had previous (16 years ago) radiation damage from first time w/ breast cancer, so at a certain point, stretching kind of stopped, and that's the size I am.

• minustwo
    edited December 2019
    Options

Buttons: Check out this site. If you read the header carefully and provide all the requested information in a post to Whippetmom - she really is the breast "whisperer".

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics...

• JaynerK7
    JaynerK7 Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi,

I’m having exchange to implant Jan 31, along with mastoplexy on healthy side. Can anyone advise me on how long to be off work. I’m active and fit and have a desk job that allows me to work from home when needed. Thank yi