Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exchange City

Options

Comments

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    LiveLoveLaugh2020 Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2020
    Options

Question ladies... I'm only two weeks out from exchange and I know it's still early but did anyone notice that one implant sat a little higher or lower than the other?

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2020
    Options

LiveLoveLaugh,

My TEs were uneven which translated into my implants being uneven too. My right is all least 1" higher.

I have a revision surgery in Feb to fix it along with some other things.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thanks for the response. My TE's were not uneven which is why I'm wondering. I know it's still early but it's hard not to do inspections over here lol Did you have fat grafting with exchange? I hope your revision goes well.

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi LLL2020,

My doctor doesn't do fat transfer with exchange, he says to wait at least 3 months. Well, I hit 2 months and had changes I wanted, and he agreed, so next month I hit the 3 month post exchange mark, and I'll do my revision along with fat grafting.

I'm very hopeful that both things go well. I don't have a lot of stomach fat, so they are taking leg fat which is quite copious. I am just hoping it doesn't hurt as much as I think it will! :)

I agree on inspections- it is hard to look at all of the weird looking things and sit back and wait for it to "drop and fluff". Mine did fluff some, but not as much as I would like!

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

OnTarget I have a feeling I may need to do some revisions as well. So far happy with how things look but not happy with the rippling. It's only been a few weeks but I was hoping this would be it.

I did FG (thighs) and I'm very thin so my PS wasn't able to get much. I have an upcoming appointment so I guess I'll see what PS says. FG is very uncomfortable and you'll be sore but it's tolerable (get those spanx ready lol).

Hoping for good revisions as well!

• purple-flower
    purple-flower Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hey Ontarget!!

How are you?? nice to see you pop up here!!

Purple flower

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    edited January 2020
    Options

I had my textured anatomicals removed in November 2019 and replaced with smooth rounds. Personally I am very satisfied with my decision, especially as earlier this month there was more info released in Canada earlier this year about risks being higher than earlier reports. Just seems like every few months there is more information released and its worse than it was before. Keeping in mind mine was a PBMX to reduce my risk of hereditary breast cancer to me the “risk benefit" weight favoured going for the replacement. We all need to make the decision that feels right for ourselves. Hug

I never got fat grafting with the anatomicals (but there were a couple spots I could have especially to hide an edge, I just could not be bothered with more surgery the last few years) but am going back in May to get it done with these (just saw PS yesterday to plan it). I just have very thin breast skin/thin fat layer from the PBMX and there are a couple places where I get ripples especially when leaning. With the anatomicals though there were instead spots you could almost “see" texture under skin from capsule/implant/way body integrated with Alloderm maybe - a bit like an orange peel in a couple spots.

My own PS does not like to do fat grafting with an exchange as he finds does not take as well and more likely to lose some just due to all the healing that happens after. So he likes to wait at least 3-6 months.

That aside, I was never really “unhappy" with the anatomicals but wow, I am super happy with these! Softer and squishier and they get more of a drop to cover my IMF scars. Fuller upper poles too. Sometimes I could get of a pinch or feeling or discomfort near armpit(s) with anatomicals because of edge and not with these. I had rounds before my anatomicals for a year but I don't think they ever fully settled in and were a tiny bit smaller so I think did not appreciate them as much. Otherwise nothing has changed in terms of comfort with physical activity/working out, sleeping, bras, etc. I was worried they would look “less natural" than the anatomicals but my husband, sister, and I all think they actually look more so on my body anyway.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    NoMoreKindaCCups Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2020
    Options

I'm curious about the rippling post-exchange... Does that happen most of the time? I'd imagine it would be more pronounced if the implant is in front of the pectoral muscle than when it is under it. Or is that just magical, hopeful thinking (because my PS does it behind the muscle)?

• DiveCat
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi NoMoreKindaCCups :)

My implants are sub-pec. I also have Alloderm "slings" as I originally went direct to implant (no TE to exchange, but have had two exchanges since original surgery).

I do still have some rippling just because my skin is thin. My natural breasts were not small but they were dense so there also wasn't all that much fat. So when the breast surgeon did my PBMX, there was not a lot of a fat layer to leave behind. My PS basically says if I had a bit more body fat, the ripples would probably be disguised better.

However, I do want to be clear the rippling to me is not that bad. I do have one area on right breast (upper-right side) where I can "feel" and really where the implant tends to get a ripple/crease (and if I lean over can really see it) otherwise others aren't that bad. My right is a bit more rippled than left, but my right one for all these last 6 years has always been the one with the less great cosmetics compared to the left. It's my stubborn one. The left one has always been the better behaved one!

The ripples are usually more visible immediately after removing certain bras (where the implants were compressed more or lifted more - like in sports bras) but then the implant moves and settles back down so those go away as the silicone shifts and fills out those spaces again so it's not so bad. But I mean, certain bras also can leave impressions on my breasts for a short time (like certain lace patterns) so it can be fun too. The textured gummies I had didn't have that entertaining silly putty quality to them, but they also had other downsides (for me).

My sister has pre-pec with Alloderm (only about 6 weeks out of putting them in...she had to go flat for 2-3 weeks first). She also has thin skin and lower body fat. Her rippling is really pronounced right now, but she is likely getting larger and a bit more cohesive implants (plus fat grafting). Her PS erred on smaller side initially due to concerns abut her skin integrity, and feels maybe going a bit larger with more cohesive implants will resolve a lot of the rippling too.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited January 2020
    Options

LOL! My PS didn't use any alloderm, though he thought he was going to. I'm not sure how that worked out in the end. I can't wait to get the TEs out, and I know there will be some fat grafting along with the implants, though he's not sure where he's going to get it from - as a plus size girl, I guess I have lots of options!

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

I wonder too. My implants are pre-pec/alloderm used and I have very thin skin and I'm very thin as well. I wasn't prepared for the rippling because I had none with my expanders. Waiting to see what PS says! Hoping this would be it, but I don't think so.

• berries
    berries Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi everyone,

I have my left exchange surgery scheduled Feb 17. I had a left mastectomy Sept 17 and have gone through 8 rounds of DD ACT with my last infusion being today (yay!). Overall, my blood counts have been great, I feel okay and Im looking forward to getting surgery over with!

One question I had was regarding recovery. I am an active, otherwise healthy 35 year-old and am worried about the recovery. the mx was brutal on me and I didn't leave my house for almost 2 weeks and took a total of 4 weeks off from work.

My question is: I am presenting at a large conference the week after my exchange. Is this a bad idea? Will I have drains put in for the exchange? I heard it was an outpatient, relatively easy surgery, but I'm of course afraid of the recovery. My conference is exactly 6 days after my exchange. What should I do?

Thank you

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited January 2020
    Options

Exchange is a breeze compared to the mastectomy. I did have drains, but I was up and around right away. Took almost no pain meds - so of course that meant I could drive my son to the airport in 3 days to go home.

Do you have to travel to the conference or is it local? In case you have a drain, do you have something bulky you could wear to camouflage? How long is your particular presentation? - assuming you'd have to be on your feet with your brain clicking at top speed for that portion only, and for the rest of the day you could sit at the table & coast.

• Islander89
    Islander89 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2020
    Options

I’m scheduled for my exchange surgery in February. I was wondering if my implants don’t appear to be the size I wanted(which would be my TE’s,but I heard you come out smaller) would insurance pay for another surgery if I want bigger implants? Or would it be out of pocket like a breast augmentation surgery? I’ve heard of some going back for bigger or smaller implants but no indication of insurance claims/options..

• crossh
    crossh Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2020
    Options

I had my first set of implants exchanged for larger, they were smaller than my original C cup. Insurance covered everything. Also some minor fat grafting, nipple reconstruction, and tattooed areolas.

• simonerc
    simonerc Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2020
    Options

I had my exchange surgery with fat grafting. Followed by an implant swap, at same time as hysterectomy. Then pocket work and fat grafting. All covered by insurance. Obviously I had deductible and co-pays.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

I'm assuming implant exchange size/revision is pretty common after seeing what others have gone through. You don't think about it when you're going through the process. You just think I can't wait to get these TE's out!! And get my implants.

Too bad there isn't a spot on way to determine the best foobs for each person! Praying for beautiful boobs for all.

Smile

• DiveCat
    edited February 2020
    Options

Yes, future revisions are supposed to be covered. I believe in the US there is law to that effect (I am not in US, I am in Canada where it is all covered). If your insurer denies, fight it.

I have changed my implants twice now and am going for fat grafting...all 100% covered by provincial healthcare

• juliesim
    juliesim Member Posts: 36
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi everyone,

I had my right mastectomy with subpectoral expander back in May, exchange surgery has been delayed due to radiation therapy, and my future plan includes lift and reduction of the left side.

Five months after finishing radiation, I am still experiencing progressive swelling under and around the expander. I am doing stretching, working with physio, but so far I can feel fluid build up. As time goes by, I am more concerned about my exchange surgery. Have anyone else been through this? I would appreciate any advice..

Also, I am reading here that implants sit lower than expanders. Does it make sense then to fix the other breast at the time of exchange surgery? Or better wait and see?

Thank you!

• MD_Mom
    MD_Mom Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi, Everyone -

How much time would you suggest taking off work (office job) to recover from the exchange surgery? How long did folks have the drains in? I had drains in for nearly 3 weeks with the BX last year and I'm really hoping that I don't repeat that again!

Thanks!

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi Md...I also had drains for almost 3 weeks with MX but didn't have any with exchange. With exchange I had 2 weeks off.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,804
    edited February 2020
    Options

No drains. I am surprised people take two weeks off of work for exchange, but I don't know what kinds of jobs they have.

• JaynerK7
    JaynerK7 Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi MD Mom, just had exchange surgery Friday. No drains. Also had mastopexy on other side, which will take longer to heal. 2 weeks for sure, maybe 4

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited February 2020
    Options

I had drains for exchange - but still - two weeks off was plenty for a desk job.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi Jaynerk7, Good to hear it went well for you. My surgery got moved to Feb 7th. Planning to be off the following Monday, then telework for 2 weeks. So grateful to have that option.

• JaynerK7
    JaynerK7 Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2020
    Options

Good luck, nomorekindofccuos. Exchange side feels pretty good already. Just a little sore in armpit but nothing major. Wishing you a good surgery and recovery

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    edited February 2020
    Options

How much time off might depend on your age, and your overall stamina, and what else you've been through lately. I was 62 and had just also had foot surgery, and was 2 months past finishing chemo, so I wasn't 100% when I had the exchange surgery. I would have wanted 3-4 weeks off from a desk job. Lower energy, but no pain, and quite a smooth recovery. Doctor ordered 2 weeks of LOW activity and no raised heart rate after my exchange surgery, to support complication-free healing, as did my RN husband. I had no drains, and my plastic surgeon said that they weren't usual in the type of exchange surgery I had. I had no pain after one day of mild pain. I think perhaps that's because my torso was/is permanently numb after my bilateral mastectomies.

• MD_Mom
    MD_Mom Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks everyone for the real deal input on recovery time with the exchange surgery. You are giving me hope that it's an easier and faster recovery! I appreciate it...!!

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    edited February 2020
    Options

I had two weeks and no drains. Could have gone back in a week But I had a desk job. Robin

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

I saw PS today, just about 4 weeks out from exchange with FG. I was told that FG is not even an option going forward because my skin is so thin there is no where else to put the fat. So I was basically told that there is nothing to do with the bilateral rippling I'm having (which is pretty noticeable). The only option was switching to the most cohesive implant although I was told it's very hard/uncomfortable and can sometimes flip. And even with that there's only a slight improvement with rippling (so really not worth it).

I had the urge to cry. I don't know why I got so emotional. I want to be clear, I am very very thankful that everything was caught early and I needed no further treatment besides surgery. But at the same time, no one really warns you about the reality of things. You are pretty much told don't worry your going to have nice implants/look great. You can't wait to get to the "final" surgery and try to begin to move on.

I am only 34 and single (the dating world is not easy to begin with) and I think that has a lot to do with it. This is such an emotional roller coaster ride and just when you think you're fine and feeling better you have another moment. Can anyone relate? Hope you guys don't mind my babbling. But I know you ladies will understand.