Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exchange City

Options

Comments

• crossh
    crossh Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2020
    Options

You may want to consider getting a second opinion, only because you're so upset. I also have some rippling when leaning over/slouching, but I am 59 and married for 40 years. It doesn't bother my husband at all, he loves my boobs. Honestly, most guys love all boobs in any shape or form. The rippling is very common. When you think about it, there's not much around the implants but skin. I wear an underwire push up bra (which I thought I would never have to wear again!) to keep them from drooping, which gets rid of my rippling. I know exactly what you're talking about in terms of expectations. I also expected too much and was disappointed in the outcome, but I've come to accept it. Honestly, after the double mastectomy and removal of my nipples, it's a miracle they look as good as they do. The fat grafting didn't do much for me, a lot gets absorbed anyway. And it can also turn into hard lumps which we all want to avoid. And it's ok to cry, it's quite a traumatic thing to go through. We've all been there. Hang in there and good luck.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,101
    edited February 2020
    Options

LiveLove - I agree. Get a second opinion.

First - thin skin is a judgement call & another doc might think differently about fat grafting.

Second - I have cohesive gel implants and NO rippling - none! Assuming you have a very experienced PS who does this surgery all the time & knows how to make the pockets correctly to start with, there's very little danger of them flipping. Yes, they are a little harder, but since I had hard fibrocystic breasts all of my life I don't find them that different.

Some docs are unwilling to take over in the middle of the process (I think you have TEs??) But most would at least be willing to take a look & give you an opinion. Not sure where you live, but an NCI hospital would likely fit the bill. Also not sure if your current PS is experienced enough to do cohesive gel.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    LiveLoveLaugh2020 Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2020
    Options

Crossh thank you. I am not happy with the rippling but they do look natural/nice when I'm not leaning forward or moving in a certain position. I'm grateful for that. 40 years?! That's amazing! :)

Minustwo thanks for responding. A second opinion would not hurt. But it's still early and I'm going to give it more time. I do go to a NCI hospital and do see a surgeon with a lot of experience. My implants are cohesive but the "mid" range, not the most cohesive.

I feel guilty now for even complaining. I guess I just wasn't prepared for the rippling and have to adjust to my new normal. Maybe they won't ripple so bad in a bikini lol I'm a beach lover! I'm grateful and will try not to focus so much on everything :)

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited February 2020
    Options

A second opinion for sure. And a third or fourth if you need. I find it pretty hard to believe a 34 year old woman would have paper thin skin. It just does not compute!

The surgeon's credentials may sound great, but while there is the “best or most skilled in the department" remember that there is also the “worst or least skilled" too. Fat grafting is not everyone's forte.

Ask around for recommendations on your area. Check out their websites and online reviews and go from there.

Hugs,

C

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks for your input VegGal. I am going to give it a few more months and if I still feel the same I def will seek a second opinion.

• JaynerK7
    JaynerK7 Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2020
    Options

Week out from my exchange surgery. Was just sitting on couch two days ago and I felt something feel like it came loose. Assumed it was my nerves waking up. Now there’s a bit of dumpling. Anyone experience this? I see my PS Tuesday so i will ask. Just get paranoid.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,799
    edited February 2020
    Options

Jayne, I don't think it would spontaneously start leaking. Don't worry until there is a reason to worry.

• JaynerK7
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thank you, MC.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

Jayner never had anything like that happen. But I know how it is to worry about every little thing. How are you feeling otherwise?

• JaynerK7
    edited February 2020
    Options

Feeling very well, livelovelaugh. Few stabbity stab pains every now and then but the tissue expanders get you prepared for that. Healthy breast that had mastopexy is healing well mostly. Seems I can't type well though, writing “dumpling" rather than “dimpling" in earlier post! :) Wishing you and everyone a good rest of weekend and a positive week ahea

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

lol...those darn typos. Well glad you're feeling well otherwise. I'm four weeks out and I get those pains as well or get pains when I over do it but otherwise okay. Thank you, same to you.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    NoMoreKindaCCups Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2020
    Options

I'm now 3 days out from exchange sx and a little fat grafting. I switched to Tylenol yesterday - so much easier than BMX. Just a lot of bruising. And hurray to the end of the TEs!!

The one thing I really found a problem though is the tape they used everywhere for the gauze pads. The adhesive is super strong, and I ripped 2 areas of skin off(!) before googling how to remove it. I finally got all the tape off using moisturizer, but was still covered in sticky adhesive residue. Second visit to google ended with my extra virgin olive oil and a washcloth.

I hope this helps if someone else is "stuck" with this predicament. Pardon the pun. ;-)

• minustwo
    edited February 2020
    Options

I always tell them they can only use Medipore of Hypafix tape. There's a thread on BCO for those of us who have had continuing tape issues.

BTW - Light Day panty liners inside your bra work great instead of taping gauze pads.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks, MinusTwo, I'm going to check out that thread and. I've never had issues with tape before. I'm kind of concerned about the raw skin (it's on my hip - pads taped for the bruising from fat grafting). It's still draining pus, though it's just been a day... I've got polysporin on it and a gauze pad with the wimpy paper tape we used with drains last time. Maybe tomorrow I'll let it just get some fresh air. I vaguely remember skinned knees that benefited from that, you know, many decades ago!

• minustwo
    edited February 2020
    Options

Here's the link. Not very active gut TONS of good advice. I also bumped to get it up on the active list.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics...

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

Nomore same thing happened here. It was way worse than a wax! I had red marks for days but thankfully didn't break the skin. Ouch, sounds like that hurts! Keep it clean and hope you have a speedy recovery.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks, LiveLoveLaugh! After sending them pictures, I just got off the phone with my PS's staff and they said that the paper tape is now further irritating where I've put the gauze pad. So no more tape. Just putting vaseline all over the area and the gauze pad, and since it's on my hip, my underwear should keep it in place, but this should take a week or two to heal. The main wound seems to be weeping a little less, so I'm taking that as a good sign. And I'm thankful I'm not trying to go to the office while dealing with this. :)

• minustwo
    edited February 2020
    Options

NoMore - it might feel silly, but the Kotex pads or Light Day Panty liners really work much better than gauze pads - especially since there's adhesive on the back side that will hold them to your bra or underwear.

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited February 2020
    Options

In the future, list a tape allergy with new docs. I went through 4 breast surgeries and a foot surgery with no tape used at all. It kind of makes me wonder why anyone needs it.

• minustwo
    edited February 2020
    Options

Yup VegGal - I do list tape allergy. If there's a box, I check Latex to get their attention, but that's not really the whole issue. At least it starts the conversation.

I always carry either Medipore of Hypafix tape in my bag when I go to see docs in case they don't have any. Most hospitals, surgery centers and infusion centers have one or the other but not many doctor's offices. The OR convinced me to try the new silicone tape at my latest cataract surgery. Oops - just about ripped my face off when they were removing the 'drapes'.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I did start using the panty liner against my hip and adhering to the panties. I think my skin is going to like this much better.

MinusTwo, that is a super scary thing you went through!!! I hope you're all healed from that. Wow.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

What did everyone use on their incisions to help with healing?

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    edited February 2020
    Options

I took 1 week off for my exchange surgery, although I was ready to work after 4 days. I wasn't supposed to drive, so I teleworked. I did not have drains.

I just had a second surgery (1 implant switched, capsule and pocket work, and fat transfer). I have a wound vacuum on this time. The lipo on my legs is the most painful part, but it isn't too bad. My PS said I'll feel great in 3 days. I hope to be cleared to work from home 1 week from surgery.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

Second the leg pain being the worst! The discomfort went away at the two week mark for me.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

Any ladies have stitches that didn't desolve? I'm 6 weeks out now and had stitches on my left that finally fell out a couple days ago. But since then I'm having pain and pulling on that side. Also had some bad chest pains last night. Assuming it's normal and part of the course. Just wondering if anyone has had anything similar?

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    edited February 2020
    Options
    LiveLoveLaugh2020

I think it takes a LONG time to heal, and what you're feeling might be perfectly normal healing, as nerves connect and start to send signals, etc. I remember feeling weird sensations, and occasionally I'd phone up the PS office, and a nurse or PA would relay my question to doc and get back to me. Pain sounds not good---I'd ask PS about that. I had discomfort, tightness, pulling, for sure, as things healed. Maybe it was 6-8 weeks before everything felt really healed up inside.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hikinglady thanks for the response! I know it's a long road to healing just weird that I'm getting these sensations after the stitches falling out. If the pain continues I will call the office. Hopefully PT helps me today :)

Anyone have good results with organic coconut oil for incisions? I'm currently using Vit E oil. I've used silicone strips on other scars which works great but it's hard and just about impossible to use on my incisions (inframam).

• SuzieQ2019
    SuzieQ2019 Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2020
    Options

How much “fluffing” did you experience?

• Islander89
    Islander89 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi everyone,

Just gone through my TE on the 25th and doing great. I see my PS on Wednesday. My question is and I’m sure it’s been addressed but there are so many posts to read through., but I was wondering how long recovery is for most people. I am a nurse so I do a lot of heavy lifting. I’ve read 2 weeks but with weight restrictions of less than 10 lbs for 4 weeks?

• minustwo
    edited March 2020
    Options

Islander - I never took opioids with exchange 6 months after BMX, and was back to driving in 3 days. I did have drains, but they were gone a week. Still - I'd be wary of the heavy lifting. I bought 1/2 gallons of milk to cut down the weight. It would be nasty if you rip out stitches and have go back to surgery.