Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exchange City

Options

Comments

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2020
    Options

Two weeks would probably do it.

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    edited January 2020
    Options

I agree! Robin

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited January 2020
    Options

Robin - good to see you. Happy New Year.

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    edited January 2020
    Options

JaynerK7 I didn't have a mastoplexy, but I had two implants put in, so I don't know how much less or more healing is required for the mastoplexy side. Healing was smooth for my exchange surgery. My post-surgery instructions from my plastic surgeon were for me to reduce activity to almost zero for at least 3 weeks (to minimize risk of infection or any other type of complications). Plastic surgeons usually have clear guidelines for your question.

• JaynerK7
    JaynerK7 Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thank you Hiking lady, robinbless and veg girl for taking the time to respond. Cosmetic Surgeon is very nice and very cautious, so I appreciate this opportunity to hear from women who've been there, done that.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    NoMoreKindaCCups Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi JaynerK7, I'm having my exchange surgery (both implants) on Jan 31st as well. Funny to see your post today - I just finished telling my boss this morning that I was planning to telework for 2 weeks after surgery. Thanks to all for the responses. :)

• JaynerK7
    JaynerK7 Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2020
    Options

Love that timing too! All the best.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited January 2020
    Options

Best to you too!

Next questions to those who've been through this:

Did you find that after surgery you had to sleep in a recliner (not flat in a bed) and if so, for how long? With the mastectomy/TEs, it seemed like it took me a good 5 weeks before I felt comfortable sleeping in my bed again.

Since there are no drains, it sounds like showers are permitted within 1-2 days post-sx. We're you able to lift your arms over your head (eg pullover shirts) right away? Or did you have to work your way back to that?

How long before you could take a good soaking bath? Or swim? Any other restrictions? Exercise?

Thanks for helping me get mentally prepared! ;)

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    edited January 2020
    Options

NoMoreKindaCCups Exchange surgery was MUCH MUCH easier to recover from than BMX + TE's. No drains. Very easy, and smooth and comfortable. Almost no pain, which I think is because I have no more nerves, and a pretty numb torso, so that was a GOOD thing as far as comfort. All that huge inside work (creating pockets, removing breast tissue) is horribly traumatic surgery, and exchange surgery was just a piece of cake comparatively.

I did not have restrictions on arm movements after my 2-foob-exchange, but I used common sense, and did't do anything super strenuous for 4-6 weeks. Swim restrictions are that if there's ANY small amount of not-healed incision, that can be a place infection can get in, so my instructions were 'at least 6 weeks, and then see how the incisions look.' My husband is an RN, and he decided it was safe for me to go in the pool at 8 weeks because it looked thoroughly and completely and cleanly healed---this was a big deal, because I normally am in the pool 5 days a week, but I took this seriously, and waited for complete healing. I was a slow healer on my (2003) previous radiation side. My plastic surgeon wanted me to have 'reduced activity' for 4-6 weeks, as I recall, which lowers risk of infection.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thanks so much, Hiking Lady! This is great information.

• robinblessed54
    edited January 2020
    Options

thanks Minus!! Happy New Year to you too! I hope you are well. Robin

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2020
    Options

I pulled out my bed wedge and slept with that. I’ve used it for 4 breast surgeries and one foot surgery...so far.

I showered after 24 hours, even with drains. I was happy about that. Swimming was restricted to at least 4 weeks. No scans allowed in the pool!

I put on shirts carefully and just slowly and gradually resumed my activity. I was back to full steam in about 6-8 weeks.

Good luck

• ucfmom
    ucfmom Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2020
    Options

I'm having surgery next week to remove my textured implants and replace with smooth ones. I had my pre-op appointment Friday and was told I could shower after 48 hours. I'm planning to stay home for two weeks and work from home the second week. I have a super comfortable recliner but hope I'll be able to sleep in the bed at night with extra pillows. I remember that being the hardest part after my BMX and original reconstruction surgery.

• NoMoreKindaCCups
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thanks, VegGal and ucfmom, and good luck on your upcoming exchange!

I know all drs have their own protocols (post bmx, I couldn't shower until all drains were out 10 days later). I'm wondering about bras. At my last fill 2 months ago, I think they mentioned that I'll come home in a (horrible) hospital bra to be worn for 3 days, but what about after? I know some people are told not to wear a bra at all, others want at least a sports bra. How did that go for you after your exchange?

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    LiveLoveLaugh2020 Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi ladies...

I've been reading these posts for months and always meant to sign up and here I finally am. I am in my 30's and was diagnosed last summer with DCIS and opted to have BIL NSM. It has been a crazy few months, and quite the roller coaster ride where you can feel so alone. My family has been so awesome and I'm so thankful for them but it's so hard for someone to understand everything you are going through and how you feel unless they have been in your shoes (which I hope no one ever has go through).

I just had my implant exchange surgery with fat grafting 1 week ago. I know you've ladies have said not to try to focus on so much now and it takes months for everything to settle but of course I went peaking lol The first couple of days were a little emotional as I felt much smaller than my expanders (those dreadful things I hated so so much and counted down the days until they were out). And I am also noticing rippling on one side which I never had with my expanders. Which is why I guess I was a little disappointed but I'm trying to focus on the positive and am thankful that I was diagnosed early and did not need any further treatment. My implants look great don't get me wrong but I guess at the same time after everything we've been through I feel like we deserve to be fully happy with our results. I feel so much better just a week out so I'm sure this is just part of the journey.

Anyone feel the same way? Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening! Smile

• crossh
    crossh Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi LLL,

I went through they same thing last winter., except I had my nipples removed too.First let me say what a difference a year makes. Things will get better. I was unhappy with my first set of implants as they were smaller than my original C cups. So I had them swapped out for the next size larger. The swap surgery was a piece of cake. I also had nipples made and areolas tattooed on the last few months. SO much better. Also no pain whatsoever. I guess the nerves are all severed. I have some rippling when I slouch, but not when I straighten out. This is normal. It takes time to get used to the new boobs, but you will eventually. They loosen up and feel more comfortable too. Good luck!

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thank you for your response crossh. I'm glad you are doing well now. I was previously a B so I'm bigger than I was but just wasn't expecting the rippling as I had none whatsoever with the expanders. How long after did you do the swap out? I'm waiting until I see the PS in a couple of weeks to see what he has to say as I only saw the NP this week. I am already glad with how comfortable these are compared to those expanders!

Anyone else have fat grafting?

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,804
    edited January 2020
    Options

Yes, I had fat grafting. I think it took fairly well. Not real happy with the hollows down by my hips, though. Evidently my belly was just flabby skin.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

I'm glad that it took well, I'm hoping for the same. Sorry I can imagine, I don't think anyone would be happy with that as well.

• crossh
    edited January 2020
    Options

I forgot to mention I also had a fat grafting procedure after the swap. I had a major hole under my armpit from three previous (Unsuccessful) surgeries in an attempt to remove the cancer and save the breast. He put fat there and above my breasts to help smooth the top. My PS took some fat from low on my belly, under the bikini line. There is some indentation there, but not too bad. It definitely helped make things look better. I wear wired push up bras now, and the look pretty good in the bra. No rippling with the bra. I was surprised how much they dropped, but I don’t have to wear a bra if I don’t want to. They’re definitely not as saggy as my old boobs. I’ve come to accept them the way they are. They’ll never be perfect. I think in the beginning I was expecting too much. But now I’m just grateful that the cancer is gone. My husband has been very supportive, which helped.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

How did you do with the fat grafting? Was that the first time you did it?I agree they'll never be perfect as our original ones weren't either! And nothing is perfect anyways. That's great that you have the support of your husband.

• crossh
    edited January 2020
    Options

the fat grafting was nothing. Slightly sore where they took the fat from. Slight indentations on my lower belly. Wish he took more from my belly! He said I didn’t have a lot of fat there. Although it looks like there’s plenty there to me lol.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

I had my thighs done and it's still pretty sore and bruised but tolerable. I thankfully haven't noticed any indentations or divots but I guess I'll see when the swelling is done. I was also told they weren't able to get a lot of fat so I'm pretty sure I may be doing it again down the road. I get what you're saying, It always looks different to us and we're like seriously?! lol

• robinblessed54
    edited January 2020
    Options

I have the recalled textured anatomical implants so no FG necessary. But I still carry around the possibility of BIA-ALCL some day or never. They look great and never sag or ripple. The risk of complications from explanting are greater than getting the lymphoma.

Good luck. Robin

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thank you. Yeah, I've read about that. So crazy, but glad you're happy with your results

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited January 2020
    Options

I too have the textured anatomical implants and I love them. I'm not switching out.

• robinblessed54
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi Minus! Good to hear from you!

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

Any recommendations for a good pair of compression pants? All the pants/shorts I've ordered run big.

• CENOK2017
    CENOK2017 Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I have a TE on my right side and a very large natural breast on my left side. My exchange will be in a few weeks, then reduction on my left natural breast several weeks after exchange. My biggest question is that my TE seems so high on my chest. Did any of you feel that way, and if so, was the implant lower?

Thanks for any advice

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    edited January 2020
    Options

CENOK I responded on the other thread but yes the expanders sit much higher than implants. The implant will be lower.