Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi gals! 

Hey Jan, I still have meltdowns every so often and they come at the strangest times.  I think it comes with the territory and the journey we've been traveling. At first it bothered me but now I just accept them and move on.  After all, I've cried at weddings and graduations for years now so I guess an occasional meltdown isn't too out of the ordinary.  :-)  Also wanted to tell you that I only have one son, too, and will soon have that third grandson. 

Northstar..Often our special needs children give us a completely different outlook on life...and one that nobody should miss.

Binney, I'm jealous!  You not only have 11 wonderful grandchildren but it's warm where you live!  I don't know where you're at, but it sure sounds good to me.  Are you up for visitors?   LOL

So far it looks like Deb is leading the list with 17 grandchildren.  YEA!  Can anyone top that?

SoCal Lisa...so good to see you here, too.  Another lovely picture that you posted......and I do believe that this one is the greatest yet!  :-)

Springtime, you are welcome here. 

Speaking of chemo brain...somebody was talking about an 11-year old who couldn't remember to turn in his homework.  (I really think I need to take notes before I start typing because if I look back, my post will magically disappear.)  I taught JH for 33 years.  Sometimes a simple two-pocket folder did the trick.  When the homework is assigned, the student puts it on the right side of the folder.  When the homework is finished, it's transferred to the left side and he or she carries this folder with them all during the school day and home at night.  When homework is collected, they just have to reach into the left pocket and get it out.  The two-pocket system works better than the fancy multi-pocketed binders because there are less places to misplace things.

I hope everyone enjoys this lovely Sunday.  I have lots of things to accomplish this afternoon and we bowl in a league this evening.

Hugs to all of you in treatments right now and to those of you recovering from surgeries.  They'll be behind you shortly!

Rita

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,293
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lee, I like your no-nonsense priorities and those of your hubby as well.  You may have "only" had DCIS but that is cancer none-the-less.  You sound like you both have yours heads and your hearts working together.  Good for you. 

Jackie

• ritajean
    edited March 2009
    Options

Ah Binney...we were posting at the same time.  Now I know you're in AZ.  Send that warmth East please.  We hope to be traveling through your state in late May.

Rita

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited March 2009
    Options

I must have missed the grands tally!!!  You see my yoonger babe as he's my avitar - the older is in Tampa and just turned 5!!  I have four grown kids, and as some of you might remember from last summer, my first daughter who I had to give up at birth 43 years ago, just found me last summer!!! 

I can't tell you the joy, the pure joy, of her first email..."I'm Suzanne.  I believe I'm your daughter."  We haven't met face to face, but we keep in touch on line. 

It was a life shaking summer.  First, the cancer, then Suzanne, and then, my Tampa son, who has had addiction problems all of his life, decides to get clean!!  And, since opium has been his crutch for many years, it has been an awful ride for him, but even with no medical coverage, he has kept at it.

But, for some reason, the damned bc seemed to bring such good things with it.

And, you know, ladies, I feel very comfortable sharing with you.  I never, ever would have told anyone about my daughter, ever.  And, how strange, it was a closed adoption, of course, back in the 60's, but she ends up with a  name that's very similar to mine!!  Her parents never knew my name, and yet...

Susan

• Sierra
    Sierra Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2009
    Options

Howdy Northstar:

Well then, I also love Mass.. was in Salem some years

ago at a very very ... old church

and had a reading as well

also was in  Plymouth, I belive

hope we get the forum going here

Have a great day all

Swimangel:  re the net.. kids

we recently had a teen here

whose parents took him off the net

or forbade him to use it

he went out in the cold and was found

dead several days later.. I believe he fell out of a tree

but you can imagine.. His parents were so concerned

when he was on the net.. a certain program he used

Take care all, those on treatments

and having medical work done :))

Sierra

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Sierra, do you live in Ontario?

• bluewillow
    bluewillow Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2009
    Options

This is my grandson Mason at his first birthday party this past January!  My daughter made his cakes, all in John Deere green, and this one had a small tractor on top.  He was more fascinated with the tractor than the cake!  Not like his granny! Wink  I'd have eaten the icing off the tractor, then the cake!

Mason is my only "human grandchild",  He belongs to my daughter and SIL, and they also have two mini dachshunds, who I count as grandchildren too.  My son and DIL have one dog and three cats, also my grandkids.  I guess I sound nuts, but I just love them all!!!!!!!

I love hearing of everyone's grandchildren, and SoCalLisa, yours are so beautiful!!  I hope to see more of your granny stories and pics here!

• ritajean
    edited March 2009
    Options

Blue Willow....Mason is adorable!  Thanks for sharing the picture.  I also think that your haircut is quite attractive!  I can't see where there is any need for improvement!  You're one sharp lady!  I'll try to get organized this week and post a pic of my two little guys!

Susan...what a lovely story about your first daughter.  That had to be an emotional "find" for both of you!  It's so neat that you keep in touch.

Gotta get moving.........

Rita

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2009
    Options

Nice to see all of the beautiful photos and to hear the beautiful stories too.

Susan, your story about your daughter Suzanne brought tears to my eyes. What an emotional experience hearing from her must have been.   And hopefully your Tampa son will succeed in his attempt to kick his bad habit. Thank you for sharing that with us.  

Anyway it is hubby's birthday today and I need to bake a cake or something like that!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited March 2009
    Options

The other day I was playing tennis with a gal who is exactly my age

she was telling me her granddaughter was getting married...I 

told her my granddaughter is in diapers....lol

BTW she is a great grandmother...

She started EARLY...

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

Ok heres a pic of the gang.............all 17 of them.

Photobucket
  • Mary-Lou
    Mary-Lou Member Posts: 630
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hello all, I just found this thread and will add to my favorites as well. Hope I'm old enough ;-).

I'm waiting on the fifth grand child. So I believe I qualify .

Here is a face to put with the name.

Photobucket

Thanks for starting this thread Northstar, it is wonderful to be here with the seasoned women.

• Lizette
    Lizette Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi everyone,   Would like to hear from anyone that has gone through breast reconstruction after a masdectomy, especially if they have had the latissimuss dorsi flap.  Would like to know what you experienced, positive and negative outcomes.   Would you do it again if now that you have.   Are you subjected to any physical limitations.    Lizette

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009
    Options

Deb......that is WAY COOL.....my much smaller tribe will be here shortly. Someone had ALL girls ??????? Lovely.......we are up to our eyeballs in masculine genes.

Susan I too loved hearing your story and got a couple of goose bumps.....there is something good that comes out of everything that isnt quite so good

Gotta find the Play Doh......

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

Jan, yup those are my middle daughters girls, the oldest will be 8 this year if you can believe that...I think she had them a year apart until the baby....the top right pic is all my stepgrandkids but I claim them as my own since his girls Mother passed away a couple of years ago.

Deb

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,293
    edited March 2009
    Options

Deb----what a great group and so attractive to boot.

Susan  I identified a little with your story....a lot in a way.  I have a son bi-polar&ADHD who is a substance abuser but now has a medical prescription for marijuana.  A computer whiz but all I can do is pray for a good life for him....already did all I could for him and it's not up to me anymore.  My 18 yr. old granddaughter was gone for 17 years.  A long story but the paternal grandparents adopted her and kept her away from the whole maternal side of her family.  Things erupted in her household at age 17 ---  she had herself placed in foster care and began a search for her real mother.  By fortune Kate was less than 10 miles away.  In this regard my joy know no limits.  Patience and faith and if it's meant to be it will happen.  Seventeen years is a long wait though.  Did not get word of this until shortly after my chemo and radiation was done and we planned a reunion.  My first vacation in 33 years and such a wonderful reason for it.  I

Jackie

• Marple
    edited March 2009
    Options

Bumping up for Lizette, I had mast but no recon so can't help.

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

Jan, Rita, and Mandy - Thanks for the responses.  I have finally forgiven myself (almost) for the mess I got myself in way back then.  My daughter had a wonderful life, much better than an unwed, college student from a very small town could have given her. 

Deb - What a grand group of grands!!

Bluewillow - What a cutie!!  I Besides my two human  grandboys, I have 2 grandhorses, 3grand dogs, and 5 grandcats. 

My eldest and her husband decided not to do kids.  Drat.  And, Suzanne was unable to have children and has "steps' that she has raised since toddlers.

I smell wonderfully like horse, since I just came back from riding, but I suppose I should change into something less fragrant.Wink

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

Oh, Jackie - we sound like sisters!  It's hard to describe the pain of seeing your child addicted to whatever it is.  My worry was that he was not only affecting his own life, but that of his wife and 5 yr. old.  Degree in IT stuff.  Brilliant, but with dyslexia, ADD, panic attacks, etc.  So many interventions when he was still living with me.

Your granddaughter story made my jaw drop!  And, only 10 miles from you!!  I'm so happy for you.

Susan

• Marple
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lizette, maybe a post on another board might bring some responces.  I didn't get recon so don't know where to direct you.

• PhyllisCC
    PhyllisCC Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2009
    Options

Wow...

So much family here!  Thanks for sharing.  That's what it's all about. Phyllis

• susan_CNY
    susan_CNY Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2009
    Options

I just love this thread, I am 57 raising a 7 year old Rosaleigh and an 81 year old Patricia, also have 3 more grandsons McCuin Jakob and Michael who live in the other side of my duplex, we keep the family close. Anyone else dealing with elderly parents and grandkids in the home? cancer seems to keep on sliding in and ruining my family life.

• bluewillow
    bluewillow Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2009
    Options

Good evening to everyone!  This topic is going so well-- I'm really enjoying reading all your posts so much!  I hadn't signed onto BC.org much lately until Northstar started this thread, now I'm on several times a day checking in here. Mods, I hope you're reading this! Smile

Rita, thanks so much for your kind words!  I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your guys!

Deb, what a GORGEOUS family!! 

Susan, what a wonderful story about your first daughter. Life can bring about so many wonderful things in times of difficulty.  I hope you get to meet her face to face soon and how awesome that reunion will be! My husband has a daughter in her 20s that we both just met for the first time about 4 years ago.  He paid child support all these years and wasn't allowed to even contact her until one day, she found him.  She lives in Washington State and she has been such a joy in our lives.  ps-horse smell is heavenly!

Springtime, are you getting snow down there in the Capitol city?  We have about 5 inches and I've heard it's heading your way... enjoy!

This may be a bit off topic-- below is a picture of the dogwood tree in my front yard.  I took the photo about 2 pm today and it is still snowing like crazy.  A heavy, very fluffy and very beautiful snow!

HUGS and love to ALL!!

Mary Jo

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

Mary Jo - What a wonderful story yours is, as well!  And, your tree is awesome!!  I thought that it was a pro shot, at first!

Susan_CNY - Welcome to another Susan!  I'm just dealing with an 86 yr. old mom.  She's active, still quilts, goes to church, keeps up the light housekeeping, drives, etc.  But, her negativity and complaining get me down.  I spent a whole therapy session discussing the stress of trying to live together. 

I get so frustrated when she starts complaining about my grown kids, her grandchildren.     Otherwise, things are fine.  I just hope I don't get so negative and critical in my old age!!  Frown

• darsura
    darsura Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lizette:  I had a mastectomy, but did not have reconstruction.  I'm sure someone who has will be along soon.

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi guys.....It took me a while to catch up on all the posts. I can't believe how fast thid thread is growing. There have got to be a huge number of us (young chicks) notice I changed from (old hens) LOL. I like the young chicks better!

Miller(Susan) The Lord works in mysterious ways. Your story about your daughter is so cool. Don't you just want to see her. I don't know if I could keep from going to see her. I have goose bumps right now. have you plans to meet at some point? Ha, I have an 87 year old mother that is stressing me out with her complaining and negativity. The glass is forever half empty. That's exactly why I'll never live with her. They'd have to put me away. But I sure can see your plight.

Well, it's late and hugs to all my "young chicks". cackle, cackle.....

Artsee

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2009
    Options

Deb from Ohio - gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

• Marple
    edited March 2009
    Options

Good morning "old" babes. 

Just to let you know Lizette, there is a Breast Reconstruction Forum.  Maybe you'd have more replies if you posted your question there.  All the best.

Gentle hugs.

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

Good morning to you, Sharon51, from one of the old "babes"! 

Hope it's a marvelous Monday and a wonderful week!

Susan

• ritajean
    edited March 2009
    Options

Good morning everyone!  The sun is shining brightly in central Illinois today but the temperature doesn't reflect the bright rays!  It's still cold out there.  I still think all of us in cold areas should consider a visit to Binney!  LOL  Or...who else lives in a warm climate and likes company?   LOL

Thinking about you today, Peggie.  Waiting on tests and test results can be a "gut-wrenching nightmare."  Hugs to you!  We all understand the mental anguish you're going through right now.  Please let us know any results.  We do care!

I find that I handle the "after affects" and the "what ifs" of bc better if I keep my mind occupied.  Being a people person, I don't do real well when I sit at home alone with the cat several days in a row. Anyone else find that hobbies help them cope with this journey?  I bowl in three different bowling leagues which are all about over for the season.  Two are small morning coffee leagues and one is a Sunday night mixed league.  Soon I will exchange bowling for golf, although I'm not a very good golfer.  A group of 12 ladies also play Bunco one afternoon each month during the winter. Oh yes, I also read!  I scour the yard sales for books that I read all winter long and have found some pretty fantastic authors for 25 cents!  Unfortunately I'm not talented artistically so I turn to participation type activities!  So what helps you gals cope?

I could ramble on and on!  I love this thread!  However, I need to get going on some cleaning and laundry.  I'm sure I'll stop in later.  This moves so fast that you have to check in often!

Hugs to all of you........

Rita