Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2009
    Options

Welcome, Carol.  I'm a newbie to this thread, too, and I'm loving it.  I relate to everything that's said here.  Now that's really sorta scary.

Peg...I'm so sorry that you're depressed and worried about your tests.  I understand this feeling.  I'm already worried about the test I'm having this next week.  I know it does no good to worry, but I think I'm the worry queen.  So if there's anybody else out there who is worried, too.....just let me know.  I'll do your worrying for you!  I've got it down to a science!  LOL   All kidding aside....hugs, Peg.  I hope things turn out O.K. 

Jackie...nice to see that you made the trip over to this thread, too.  This is a pretty neat place, isn't it? 

So how many grandmothers do we have on this thread?  I have two little grandsons and another one is on the way the end of this month.  Unfortunately they live in Kentucky and I live in Illinois so I don't get to spoil them as much as a grandmother should!  Jan..I zeroed in on the superhero sheets, though as both of my little guys are big superhero fans.

I'm attacking the belly fat on Monday.  Yep, that's the day that the diet start.  I'm going to try to stick to the a modified version of the weight watcher's core and then if my onc gives me the O.K. I'm going to try the Acai berry supplement.  Anyone given that a try?

Gotta get going.......I'm gradually getting through all the earlier posts!  We are indeed "oldies but goodies."  LOL

So glad I was directed to this thread.......

Rita

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009
    Options

I am crossing my fingers tight that we have proved ourselves worthy of our own Forum....I think we are fine here but it would give us a place of our own with more room for expansion.

Welcome Carol....we will all be thinking good thoughts for you on surgery day. I didnt have a CT/PET just the MRI and a total body bone scan....you have every reason to think positive and assume all will come back just fine !

Memory....I am going to cast my vote for normal aging and post menopausal brain blips.....at work, i can remember a patients name and what they had done and when for eons....or I can hear a name and say ooooooooo she had _______ on ________ and almost always Im right.....at home....I cant remember what we had for dinner 3 nights ago or what I watched on TV last night.

I had a weepy morning today.....and that really isnt like me....in the beginning I couldnt stop crying but lately Ive been so much more in control and so much more comfortable with everything. This morning I opened a magazine and there was a bc article on page 3.....when I flipped on the tv the walks were being advertised....when the mail came there were more bill issues....I went to shower and realized my snb incision had opened again....over 2 months post op and was rejecting more sutures from the depths of my armpit.....ugh ugh and ugh....so I had a good cry , do we all do that from time to time still ? Or do I need to shape up......

Hope you all had sunshine today.....and more of it tomorrow

Jan

• Northstar
    Northstar Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have two wonderful grandchildren, too, Rita, a boy 7 and girl 5.  Our grandaughter has Down Syndrome, but she can identify all of her letters and numbers now and when I write CAT and ask her, "What does that say?", she says "Pippin." (our cat).    I think that's pretty smart.    I never knew how much I would love grandchildren--they are incredible little people.   We are lucky that they live near us--only about 15 minutes away. 

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2009
    Options

No kids, no grandkids!

Carol W.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited March 2009
    Options

Aw, Jan, grieving is hard work, and at eight years out I still have my days. At this point it doesn't come as a surprise anymore, and I'm gentler on myself. Give yourself some room and don't worry about shaping up just yet.

As for sunshine -- we're due to be in the 90s later this week, which is way too much sunshine for me. And it's only March! Ugh!

On the subject of belly fat, I was looking in the mirror today and I thought, "That is NOT my stomach, so how the heck did I get it on me?!" The only thing that helps is to keep up with some modified sit-ups every day, but I can't tell you how much I hate to do them -- so they haven't been done for a while. Sigh! Back to work!

Anybody else a stay-at-home mom all their adult life? "Retirement" for me is sort of a state of mind rather than a reality. 

Prayers for all those of you facing tests and the yukky waiting for results. Carol, thinking of you as you await a plan that will work out perfectly for you!Smile
    Binney
    P.S. - Eleven grandkids and counting - the oldest are 13.

• samedaynurseJan
    edited March 2009
    Options

Grandchildren....*suddenly smiling from ear to ear* my only son, has three little boys.....6 and 3 and just turned 2.....my husband and I are both only children so we have almost no family at all....my son is an only child by chance not by choice....and now he has given us these 3 adorable energy filled creatures that make me laugh til my sides hurt.....and make me learn Superhero names and go to T ball games and......make me have a huge reason to want to live and be healthy for a very very long time !

Downs children are delightful intelligent joyful human beings :)

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Rita...good to see you and to have another CMFer here

and yes I have two little grandkids..

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited March 2009
    Options

Jo...I'm out in Web land because of some art work I do. One time I typed my name on the computer and I can't believe all the hits I got with my name including things said on these boards. That is freaking SCARY. I couldn't believe it and i didn't even want to see any more so I logged off.

I have 5 grand kids and one on the way.The ages are 7-2. My two boys have sure been busy.

Artsee  .....HELLO all you old hens!!!! I like that....old hens we are.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,293
    edited March 2009
    Options

Carol....Hoping all goes well for you.  I was nervous about all the tests, but it is great to find out that the problem you are experiencing is only in one area of your body and that is why the extra testing.  I had Ct scans and then was told nothing was going on anywhere else in my body.....so I did not need to 'wonder' how the rest of me was as I prepared for my lumpectomy.  Hopefully you too will hear the same. 

Jan --- I still get teary-eyed now and then ----  just this afternoon got to thinking about all the people missing from my life who would have been so supportive had they just been here.  For the life of me....don't know what made that pop into my head as I had so many people  who were and are here.  I forced myself to think of other things as I was driving but it caught me by surprise. 

Rita......I am glad I came over.  A chance to 'celebrate my youth' here with the rest of the ladies.  And maybe we can talk Binny into sharing some of the nice weather she is going to have....so gray here today....no wonder I got moody. 

Three grandchildren for me on my side and Dh has eight on his side so we are well endowed. 

Hope it's pretty tomorrow....I'm ready for some sun. 

• karol61
    karol61 Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hello all you wonderful ladies,

Everyonce in a while it hits me"I had cancer." Then I remember that since finishing radiation, I've been NED or no evidence of disease.Cool

My memory lapses come and go but the worst is not being able to retrive a word.....aaagh  how many times can I say that i have a brain cramp?LOL

It's very cold here tonight (15 degrees) and it was  40 degrees and raining yesterday!

Karoline 

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2009
    Options

We have eight grandkids. Ages 12 yrs, 11 yrs, 10 yrs, 9 yrs, 8 yrs, 7 yrs, 6 yrs , 18months. So, you see we had 7 of them wham, wham, wham....one each year for 7 yrs. Thought we were finished and along came #8 (UN planned) and is she a precious doll!! We're thinking that's all now, for sure. I have 3 of the g'daughters tonight.. Nothing like those g'kids!!

I was talking to my daughter the other day. She's having school problems with the 11 yr old (for some reason can NOT turn in his homework! He does it, just doesn't turn it in). I told her to tell him that if he becomes valdictorian of his class, I'll give him $300. She said "Now, do you think that's right?? I never got offered $300).. Yep, they're different alright!!

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

Ha! You guys are rookies! Between my 3 kids and his two daughters, we have 17 Grandkids....I gave up remembering birthdays, ages, etc.......LOL....................Majority are girls though....Only 7 boys.

Hugs

Deb

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2009
    Options

Oh, Deb. You sure have me beat!! What on earth do you do at Christmas. Eight breaks me!!!

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

LOL I say "Merry Christmas!"  Nah, usually just get one gift per kid, it's all I can afford anymore...I kept telling these kids, that Christmas would be a thing of the past if they kept it up...of course being kids they don't listen, it's either that or they haven't found out what causes kids yet... <grin>

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2009
    Options

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited March 2009
    Options

Sheesh, my brain isn't firing on all cylinders this morning.  Wrote a post and forgot to send.

Peggle, so sad to hear why you've come back to the boards.  Maybe the results of your scan won't be as bad as you fear.  Praying for you.

Would I know you from a few years ago?  I initially joined in 06 although my avatar says 07.

And if need be, ya, you've still got "lots of snort" left in you.  Try to just get through today......

Gentle hugs. Sharon. 

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hugs for all and Happy Sunday morning.  Wish I had someone to make me breakfast, and/or bring me the paper.   The coffee pot is on if anyone wants to stop by for a bit, unless you object to me in my robe and slippers.    

• Marple
    edited March 2009
    Options

LOL just so long as our robe colours don't clash.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2009
    Options

Like Carol - no kids and therefore no grandkids; however, my uncle who is my age had two boys and each of them had a girl and a boy.  Because my uncle is my age and we grew up together I feel like he is a brother and his children nephews.  That makes their children my great nieces and nephews not first cousins once removed.  When my uncle's first grandson was born I lived within walking distance and my aunt frequently took care of him while his mother worked.  I decided he would have enough disciplinarians in his life so I would be his playmate.  I actually took that approach to all the children.  You can imagine, they love me!

After my bilateral mastectomy, my extended family came over and prepared a Christmas dinner for me.  Since I had only been out of the hospital 2 days, everything suddenly was a bit overwhelming and I laid down on the sofa and closed my eyes.  The next thing I hear is a soft little voice saying "Kathleen, are you all right."  It was my uncle's first grandchild.  God, I love that kid!

So while I may not have biological grandchildren, I still have grandchildren and the joy associated with them.

Btw SoCalLisa - those are some cute kids!  Aren't children the best!

• samedaynurseJan
    edited March 2009
    Options

oh my gosh *laughing instead of crying today* I love all the grandchildren tallies and all the smiles that go with it, here I thought my 3 little boys were a big number....I always refer to it as Andy (my son) and his traveling circus, cause they can be a handful for us *only children*

It occured to me that I have my first follow up visit with the R. Onc in about ten days.....I will be 3 months post op (you too Paula!) , that should be a harmless one....Im going to hope this incision has closed itself again by then so no needles become appropriate.

Im sending sunshine your way today Jackie !

Happy Sunday everyone......jan

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited March 2009
    Options

no grands - yet.  My dx was 3 weeks before my only son's wedding, last May.   They tell me they are planning on having children, but I do not bring up the topic.   My dil sister is preggo, due in July.  Does that make me a granny once removed?    

BTW, my dil parents and I call each other "outlaws", since we are not "inlaws".     

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2009
    Options

I'll be 51 in May. Am I old enough? LOL. Let me know, don't want to crash...

Springtime...

• klp
    klp Member Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have 3 kids, 5 grandkids and 2 great grandkids...

Nice to see all the new ladies on our "hen" forum....welcome

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2009
    Options

Not everyone in their 50s, 60s or  70s has grandkids. I have two wonderful kids who are in their 20s.

• Marple
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hey Springtime, welcome. 

Shoot, I don't have any children.........so no grans.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,293
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hmmm, Nancy I'm almost there....my coffee pot just went empty and I need more this a.m.  Thank goodness the sun it out though.  Mandy, my granddaughter is 18.  Can't imagine if my kids were still that age.....I'd feel much younger than I do though I bet.  Big hi to Springtime.  Love the name.  Peg, soothing vibes and gentle hugs coming your way.  Kathleen ( my daughter's name with the nick-name of Kate or Katie ) that is so wonderful about your family and the fact that you ARE a Grandmom.  What lucky grandchildren. 

I'm off and running for the day, but usually check back in several times to see what is happening.

Happy Sunday,

Jackie

• swimangel72
    swimangel72 Member Posts: 142
    edited March 2009
    Options

Springtime - you're definitely welcome! I'm 54 - just a bit ahead of you - it's like joining AARP......the first time I joined (4 years ago) I felt like an "imposter".........but now that I have a grand-niece, I realize that I do belong! No grandkids yet for us - I didn't have my first child until I was 31 - she's now 23 and in grad school. Plenty of time for grandkids - but I am enjoying my grandniece through Facebook photos  (they don't live close.) Hopefully we'll get to see her again this summer. We try to have a family reunion every year - I'm one of 8 kids, my mother is still alive (84) so there are a LOT of relatives on my side of the family! Makes for one nice big party when we get together!

My coffee is ready.........ttyl everyone! coffee

• samedaynurseJan
    edited March 2009
    Options

Springtime......it would take you forever to read back to all of our posts , we are a *chatty* bunch but if you could you would see that just like *young* is a state of mind , so is *older* now dont anybody yell at me for saying that.....we are all young/old .....new/not so new.....this is just a great place to make more new friends.....who happen to dwell on things like BELLY FAT :)

I too have lots of friends here at home who in their 50's etc are still raising children and dont even have a sort of grandparent state of mind yet......there is common ground for all of us no matter what.......

I think I made a mistake about the sunshine this morning.....its actually snowing a bit !!!!

love to all of you....jan

• Lee18
    Lee18 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2009
    Options

At 64, I guess my main wish is to see my grandchildren grow up -- for as long as I can enjoy them, to outlive my mother who is in her mid nineties and depends on me, and to spend as many happy years with my husband as we can.  This all influenced my decision to get a MX even though I "only" have DCIS.  These goals are no doubt different from many younger women.  I know my husband had similar goals some years ago when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and opted for surgical removal.  So we are a bit short on sex but alive and happy and pray we will continue that way.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited March 2009
    Options

Prayers, Peggle! Very hard to be awaiting tests again. Very bad feeling in your stomach. Prayers for the courage to look forward.

Warm Arizona sunshine to you and all,
    Binney