Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• Joyce-PA
    Joyce-PA Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2009
    Options

I am 56 (57 in June) and started tamoxifen January '08 (was pre menopausal).  I am now post-menopausal (haven't had a period since January '08).  I am still on tamoxifen and my dr. said she may keep me on it at least another year and perhaps the whole 5 years before switching to Arimidex.  Does anyone know is that is the normal protocal?

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,528
    edited March 2009
    Options

Good Morning all and Susan we do have a lot in common it seems.  My son was problems from the start ---  allergic to milk two weeks from birth and downhill after that. 

Joyce I think it is standard to use one or more different kinds of 5yr. pills.....and depending on reactions, se's etc. I think you can be on for a long time.  It is just a guess on my part, but if these medications can help prevent recurrences then I think the Dr's feel ---- use them as long as you can until hopefully something even more positive to work with comes along.  The pills are not a guarantee, but anything that can increase the possibility of positive outcome I'm going to do. 

Wishing you all a fantastic bright sunny day.

Jackie

• Northstar
    Northstar Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2009
    Options

There are so many great pictures that have been posted, and stories about your lives.  I don't even know where to start.  Peggie, I do hope there is good news, and if not, know that you have many friends here to share it. 

We here in the Northeast have had a lot of snow overnight and into the morning, but it seems to have stopped in Massachusetts now.  It's really beautiful, but frankly, I would prefer green grass and daffodils.  Maybe in a few weeks.   I envy all of you in warm climates.

How do I keep my mind occupied and not dwell on bc?  As I've grown older I've developed a lot of activities.  I work 15 hours a week (our office is closed today for the snow), and am a potter who makes bowls, mugs, plates, and casseroles mostly.   I sell these at shows and, although I will never be able to support myself (or anybody else) doing this, it is a lot of fun.  I also belong to two book groups, a church group, and I love to spend time with my kids and grandkids.   Not to mention my cat.   We can play, "Where's Pippin"? for 15 minutes or more... I like to garden and mostly grow flowers and flowering trees.  We have bird feeders (suet, thistle seed, and sunflower seed) and watching the different kinds of birds is very interesting.   I like to walk in conservation areas near our house or just around our neighborhood (in nicer weather, I must admit).    My husband and I like to go to our art museum and other museums (in the not-nice weather).  

What are you doing today if you're inside because of the snow? 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2009
    Options

Wow!!! THanks for the Welcome, at 51 I feared I may be too "young". LOL.Yes, I am in AARP!!!

This is a very active forum!!! Just to show "old babes" are rockin!

All your grand kids are GORGEOUS!!! I have two daughters, 16 and 19, so don't want to rush the grands, I'll just gaze at all your pics!!!

Springtime...

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2009
    Options

Jo-5 - I loved your comment about your Dad being a travel agent for guilt trips!  My Grandmother was in the same business, bless her heart!

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Jo

What do I do to stay busy?  Geez I've crocheted for years, done silk flowers, plastic canvas, cross stitch, I read alot too, usually stuff like Danielle Steel, but my daughter gave me the Twilight books so been reading those, they're not bad... most recently, have gotten into making candles (Soy and regular).........oh and I brought something back from the 70's......Been doing Macrame. Found a bunch of patterns on Ebay for it, couldn't believe it! Love planting flowers and all but since I'm in Ohio too you know that's not possible right now.........We have a pergola with Wisteria that grows on it right outside the patio doors, have bird feeders out there, love watching the birds............and you're going to laugh, but I've been playing the Sims 2 on the computer, don't really play it per se' just like to build the houses and furnish them! LOL.............

Hugs

Deb

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited March 2009
    Options

Oh and if anyone else wants to get into Macrame, don't buy the patterns, will be glad to scan and email them to whoever wants them!

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited March 2009
    Options

Well with the neuropathy in my fingers and my eyes constantly watering, had to put the Macrame aside till this whole BC mess is over with...not to mention, I find my mind wandering, can't really concentrate on much anymore..That's why I like the Sims 2...no concentration necessary........LOL......I did try the jewelry, but my eyes are so bad anymore and my hands shake, (they always have) that it's too hard to hold onto the jute....The hubby got me a Xbox360 when I first started chemo so i would have something to do while I was on the couch (from A/C) but there are really no games for that, that are geared for women..mostly sports, war, etc..so I spend most of my time on the computer.

I think I am going to get my candle stuff out again..have a girlfriend who is begging me to make her some more...gets messy but it is fun.....

Deb

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010
    Options

Wow, you ladies are active.  I still work fulltime...that's where I was on Sunday.  Today I have a snow morning...I have to leave for work in an hour.   Lots of snow here today but all the schools are closed so the roads should be good by then. 

I'm a librarian and love to read but find it makes me sleepy.  I  like to knit.  I used to love counted cross stich but my eyes are done.  Anything to make me feel less guilty about sitting around.  I was raised to think you had to always be working.   In the spring ...I love to garden but now I do flowers.   I just planted some basil seeds so I can watch something grow.  I just love the process and the results. 

Procrastinating doing  household chores is my latest hobby.   Just realized it really doesn't look that bad to anyone else but me.  An empty nest too so it doesn't get 'dirty'.

Hope Peg gets good results soon.  Let us know how you're doing.  

I cancelled my 3 month appt.with onc today due to snow.  So I put it off for a few weeks...it's amazing how cranky I get around that time.  Then I get to doc and can't think of anything to say or ask because I just want to get it over.  

Have a good snowy day ...enjoy that sunshine in the rest of the country. Maire

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2009
    Options

Maire....and to think that I thought I was the only one who felt guilty about just sitting around.  We were conditioned to keep moving and be productive, weren't we?  I can't ever remember my mother just sitting around when I was growing up.  She was shucking peas or mending or doing something productive even while watching TV.  I still find it hard to just relax without thinking about all those things I should be doing!

How I envy you gals that are creative enough to make the craft items and needlework creations.  If you lived around here you could make mega bucks selling them each year on the Spoon River Drive in September.  Non-creative people like me flock to these towns along the Spoon River each year to purchase the wonderful items that people like you have made!  Your macrame jewelry would be a big hit, Jo.

Well, I'm avoiding the houseework and guess I've avoided it as long as possible. 

Hey, Jackie...we don't even want to think about snow in April!   LOL  Hope you're having a good day.

Rita

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited March 2009
    Options

Peggie, thinking of you today. Be well!

Ritajean and all, welcome anytime, but my advise is to hurry, because from late spring to early fall it's WICKED here! Have to use oven mitts to open the car door or you'll come away with blisters.Tongue out Fry our breakfast eggs on the hood of our car.Frown Just kidding, but it IS nasty in the summer -- so keep looking forward and before very long you'll have those daffodils and I'll go into hibernation mode!

As for hobbies, I'm a yarn spinner, and before lymphedema I was an avid crocheter too. Now I use a Knifty Knitter, but it's just not the same. Undecided Our new lymphedema website for breast cancer-related lymphedema has been keeping me incredibly busy, but it's coming together well, so the time committment is gradually tapering off.

Jo, not sure if our breed of stay-at-homes is dying or already dead! I wouldn't trade my experiences even for Social Security benefits, but it does make this stage of life a bit, well, financially iffy. But, hey! What you learn with nine kids, no outside job, and a husband who's a school teacher, is how to live well on very little money. Or how to live well, period.Wink

Welcome to March! Hope it's a great new-life month for everyoneKiss,
    Binney

• Sierra
    Sierra Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2009
    Options

Morning Ladies:

My goodness, I want to answer to

so many of you, but forget who said what

BLUE WILLOW....

tks for  the lovely tree.. so pretty .. also

I go to Ogunquit or used to quite often and there is a restaurant

there right on the ocean called the Blue Willow Cafe .. and a gift shop

JO>> is it you dealing with the Dad with dementia??

I also have family in a N. Home, and it can be v. difficult at times

God Bless them, but my Mom is v. stubborn, wont let ANYONE help

her

I love birds, and go hiking and birding in spring

over to our Island.. Ward's

belong to nature groups

community centre, will also go to the church for some card games

am out every day ..

I

Sharon.. Yes, I do.. PM anytime

used to live Ottawa years back

ps did you see Obama when he was there?

Namaste to all

Sierra :)

Where is our forum??

I

HOW MANY HERE ON THEIR OWN??

divorced, widowed or single??

Sierra :)Wink

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hey Sierra, nope no sign of Obama out our way.  I did have to drive in to the city that day but thankfully nowhere near the airport or Parliament Hill.

• tdbear
    tdbear Member Posts: 286
    edited March 2009
    Options

Business first....... We really do need a forum for us "seasoned" Ladies!!! I have learned over the years that "seasoned" ladies react differently to treatments ect. And we have different issues to deal with! WE NEED OUR OWN FORUM!!!! Thanks!!

That said...I am a 64 year young Granny of 10 ( 11th due in May!!) We have been raising a GD since she was 3, now almost 17!!! I am a two time BC survivor.

When kids were little I was stay at home mom, I've been working for the last 25 yrs for the same company. I did work during my chemo & rads....I jokingly say" We are raising a 14 yr old GD w/ permanent PMS why would I stay home??!!" Besides work and family I spend my "spare" time on the computer!! And in the garden when weather permits!!

Enough for now....Thanks Jan for directing me here!

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited March 2009
    Options

Jo - I was worried about the other side of this adoption thing, as well...would her parents be upset?  They were happy that we connected.

Artsee - You're right, I would love to see her and hold her!  I will mention that.  I didn't want to overwhelm her with my needs.Frown But, I'm so happy that she is even alive!!!  I had no idea all these years.  Her birthday is this month - can you imagine, it'll be the first time since her birth that I can actually celebrate!

And, what's all this snow about???  Come on, ladies, let's start a spring sing!!  Maybe if we all join together, Mother Nature will hear us!   Smile

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,528
    edited March 2009
    Options

Great Big Hi to Karin/Tdbear.  Great to see you here.  You probably noticed Rita is here as well as me.  I love the Illinois thread and will never stop going there, but I do love so many things about this one so far.  For instance.....Jo commenting on Binny talking about having a good life on very little....I thought I could so relate to that.  My folks raised my sister and myself ( they are all gone now including my sister ) on about $70.00 a month supplemented by odd jobs when they could be had.  My mother did ironing for people and she also had a 410 shotgun and went hunting with my male cousins to get meat for the winter.  I never knew till years and years later that if you based it on income we were only barely above the poverty line.  Still, if I could go back I wouldn't change a thing. 

It was a perfect place and a perfect time and I had two wonderful parents who loved me.  If I am kind or caring, or desire to help, or make the world a better place or even just my neighborhood it is because of these two people.  They weren't perfect....we had our share of storms, but I know those too were something that had learning to garner.   Dear Mom & Dad, I would not change a thing.  I love you and it was all important.  You made being poor so painless and fun. Love, your daughter.

Ok' nuf's enough.  Rita, I too am totally challenged in the world of arts and crafts.  I flunked scrap-booking and that is pretty eclectic.  I did some rug hooking once but it is hard to count that as a very crafty thing.  I have thought for a while about taking up something like piano.  Not a craft, but something I might actually be able to accomplish.  Also, I thought it might be a good way to stimulate brain cells ( as you may recall, some of my brain is missing ) so who knows.   

Susan.....I like the spring sing.  I'm willing to try anything. The sun today has been beautiful and a very pretty blue sky to go along with it.  See you later.

Jackie  

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

Jackie - Waht a great tribute to your parents! 

I went back to college with two little kids and a divorce under my belt...and there was never any money.  One day, when I was lamenting about being so poor, my daughter (5 at the time) said, "We're not poor, Mommy, because we have nice clothes.  We must be broke!"  And, she was right, I sewed most of their outfits, so they did look good. 

Never mind that we ate pancakes and/or popcorn for just about every meal, 'cuz a bag of flour or a bag of popcorn was dirt cheap back then.

I wish we had the blue ski!  Getting a hit from the big coastal storm, could be much worse!

Spring, glorious Spring!

Shortsleeves and capri pants!

I'll have to check on the lyrics of "Food, Glorious Food"!

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

Excuse my typos!!  My baby fur face and I are having a wrestle down for the key board!  However, the way I feel about winter, I'm sure I would never want a blue ski!!

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited March 2009
    Options

Today I am widowed 5 years and 11 months.  I don't usually count the months/years, but being stuck inside due to snow storm got me noticing the date.   I was a stay at home mom for our only son, then worked part time (paid for part time, actually worked full time hours).  Between my before married work and after son was older, I qualify on my own for Social Security.   I took widow's Social Security when I was 60.  This is my 4th year of it since my birthday is January.  

My husband was 23 years older than me/I -- we had 33 years of marriage.   I was an AARP member (as spouse) since 1974...    Our son was born in 1977, and at restaurants we had the "kids discount", the senior citizen discount and I was the "regular" one...!!!   

I am the  oldest of 3, one bro and one sis.  Our dad had a nervous breakdown and mom was the bread winner for a long time till she had bi lat mastectomy when I was 16.   We had no luxuries and all 3 of us slept in the same bedroom, separate beds.  But we were loved, learned how to entertain ourselves and made do with the simplest of things.   The library was a favorite hang out during the summer, because it had air conditioning.    

• tdbear
    tdbear Member Posts: 286
    edited March 2009
    Options

Any of you "seasoned" ladies on Aromasine? Will the hot flashes ever go away??? I've been on it 2 years and they seem just as bad as ever. My onc just kinda give me the "brush off" when I ask about them and the neuropathy from the Taxol. I'm starting to think I'll have them forever!!!!

Our fav place to hang out during the summer was the local pool! Only 25c to swim as long as you like!

Back to work!!

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

tdbear - our fav was the lake!  And, now I'm paying the price with  pre-cancerous lesions and way too many "sunspots"!!  Frown  Baby oil and iodine for decades.. seemed like a good idea at the time!

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009
    Options

Sooooooooooooooo......I just got home from work.....6pm , and I am smiling at all the wonderful things all of you do to while away some of the hours when you arent doing all the obligatory things and laughing at the things I dont do.....since I took over the breadwinner part of our marriage I mostly work....however....I am a decent pianist and I do love to sit and play when I can....and sing when NO ONE is home but me....Im a reader too....gotta love Danielle Steele....oh, and James Patterson too ! We do have great bird feeders and once in a blue moon we spot a deer in the back yard.....when the good weather returns I will drag DH on nightly walks in the park across the street.

Im going to call about the two studies im eligible for tonight.....but have a feeling I will have to wait til later in the year to fit them in my schedule....I did however make an appt with a good friend who is also my massage therapist who is very knowledgeable about Mindfullness and stress reduction and I may do some classes with her starting very soon and I will share anything and everything I learn with all of you.

*Giggling* bout the travel agent and the guilt trips.....DH and I are both only children so we have made the rounds with all the parents, and now with my mom who is 90 we are doing our best.....she is smart as a whip and totally with the program and absolutely will not discuss my bc with me....sort of has a *suck it up* attitude...very odd I think, but maybe at 90 its just too much to think about.

Nice to get home and find all of you still here *bigsmile* time to find something to eat......

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

Maire - I work full-time, too, teaching kindergarten.  When I was first dx'ed last summer, I just about retired then and there.  That's all I thought about all fall.  Then, the economy really tanked, so I decided to stick it out a few more years. 

However, I really am tired.  I don't know what to do.  I want so much to be free to see my grandbabes, go horse-back riding more, take care of the repairs around my 100+ year-old house, make my jewelry, blah, blah.  But, I'm so afraid that I'll be in deep doo-doo if anything upsets my financial apple cart.

And, may I say, I'm so sad that Paul Harvey passed.  He was one-of-a-kind!!

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited March 2009
    Options

Susan..

I managed several local Subway Restaurants for like 8 yrs...I can remember while waiting on customers and seeing the line out the door thinking, "I sure wish I could just quit and stay home everyday"....Then I got bad stomach problems, stress got to me, so I had to quit...and I have to tell you, while it's nice the first year or so..after that, it's boring...I think now, "Good Lord, what do these women do all day long?" LOL..............I too had so many ideas what I would do but did them all after  the first year...I guess I'm one of those who is never satisfied...

That was sad about Paul Harvey....I loved hearing him...We had a local celebrity pass away yesterday, Uncle Al...He's been retired for years but had a childrens program for years that many of us were on...(not me though)....was just really sad...and now I hear Ed McMahon is in bad shape, in the hospital with pneumonia and cancer...sad.

Deb

• Maire67
    edited July 2010
    Options

The ocean, the lake...I was there.   I then became a mom and did the pool and the ocean with my kids...I always tell them that swimming in the ocean is the best gift I gave to them.  But oh the baby oil and iodine burns...at least my kids had sunscreen.

Mzmiller, I think 5 is the best age. I taught K for few years...just loved them but they are a challenge.   Snow has ended here.

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

OK, my sisters - I need many prayers...my 26 year old daughter just called to tell me she found a lump and will be having a mammo next Tues. 

My brain is racing, knowing most likely it is just a lump, but it's impossible not to think of the other possibilities.  She could get in sooner, but she doesn't have anyone to watch the baby.  Drat.  I should be down there.

OK...deep breath. Positive energy.  Oh, crap.

Susan

• Maire67
    edited July 2010
    Options

Sorry about your daughter.  We will pray for cyst or something benign.  I can't imagine how you can cope with your child facing this.  You are both in my prayers. maire

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009
    Options

Oh Susan, it's so hard to try and be rationale and logical, esp when it comes to breasts and esp when it comes to your daughter....lots of prayers will be going out to both of you along with good thoughts and positive vibes that everything will be fine....a rotten scare but fine *hug*

jan

I bet all of us would have incredible stories of how good life really can be on so little.....esp in the summer....we walked miles in every direction to get to pools that had *free swim* , find one of the school stores to stop at on the way home that gave you the best bag of fresh hot popcorn for a nickel....root beer floats on the front porch with your firefly jar close at hand.....there really is something to the good old days

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited March 2009
    Options

tdbear....I was on Aromasin for 6 month and went off of it last Nov. I haven't been on anything since then and feel rather 'unprotected'. I had such bad pains I needed relief. Next week my onco is going to start me on Femara. Unfortunately the AI's are all alike.

Susan...I'll keep your daughter in my prayers. I can imagine how concerned you are.

Just thought I'd let you all know that I have been a hairdresser for the last 41 years. I work part time now, at a Boston store salon. Anyone from Wisconsin? anyway my spare time is taken up with watercolor painting. I take summer classes with a group of painters and we do 'Plein Air' painting around the county and nearby towns every Sat. I exhibit at different Art museums and art centers.

I belong to Wis. Watercolor Society and this years spring exhibit is in our state capital of Madison. I'll post my website one of these days. It's nice to get to know all of you.

Yes, this economy is scary. I'm wondering if the store I work in will survive. I was hoping I could

be closer to 62 before stopping work but you can't control any of this. But I'll pray for everything to work out for all.

Hugs hens and chicks, Artsee

• blackjack
    blackjack Member Posts: 771
    edited March 2009
    Options

HI Artsee....so you are from Wisconsin. I live in Lake Geneva all summer as I am a boater. Do you show your art work in Lake Geneva or do shows around there..

Tdbear, Rita, Jackie, Nurse jan....hi to all of you on this board. Looks like a fun group even though I am not a grandma....maybe someday....can I join too....maybe you all need a lunch bunch girl lol

BLACKJACK