Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609

This is just the flower/plant beds behind, to the side or the front of the house. I did not take a photo of the bed where the hibiscus is because it won't bloom until much later in the summer. I have 6 other beds closer to the road and only the 2 smaller beds scattered on the hill but they mostly have daffodils and hyacinths which are beyond bloom now.

The bed by the rock contains irises and perennials which I will photo later, the bed by the stream contains bleeding hearts and azaleas, the one surrounding the gazebo has ferns, Solomon Seal and Lilacs. Once the peony's bloom I will photos them and post. The hydrangeas when they bloom are blue though the new ones I added to the daffodil bed by the road are pink. I am trying to achieve a woodlands look in the beds in the backyard and when the ferns fill in they will no longer need mulch. They look so much better than the wild undergrowth that was here when we moved here 39 years ago. The rocks surrounding the beds all came from the holes I dug.

The beds by the road contained wild honeysuckle and poison ivy so they had to go. Now there are lily of the valley where the honey suckle once was. All the money I saved on therapy went into the holes I have dug and filled over the past 39 years. Carole, you wanted 60 degree days and 40 degree nights and I want spring and summer bloom season year round. I hope these photos explain why. My garden brings my heart joy.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,273

Betrayal. That is amazing. Just beautiful

Puffin, wow. You go.

Cindy, I loved your packing description. When I went on vacation with my niece, grand nephew and his wife, on the way back we hardly had room to move with all the added purchases.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929
    edited May 10

Betrayal your garden is stunning. A real labor of love. When I lived in Philly I used to go on private garden tours through a group called "Open Days". Your gardens remind me of some I viewed and loved.

Puffin thinking of you. I love how you handle what's on your plate. Directly, with grace.

I don't take notes but enjoy everyone's posts.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,283

Betrayal, I love those garden pictures. I’d love if you could go to my house and putter away!! Last year we took the wild roses to the ground when we put in the new fence panels. I’m hoping they’ve bounced back while I’ve been gone.

Chocolate report - it’s all intact in his suitcase. And we haven’t eaten any. Car stays cold, hotel room is cold too.

Storms - I drove through what was reported as a “severe thunderstorm” today. Like a car wash, at 70+ mph, with thunder and lightening. We were slowed down anywhere from 40-60 mph. Seemed to take forever to get through, but there were no accidents which was a blessing.

We’re in Cheraw, SC for tonight. It’s is the cutest little town, with a very rich history. Fortunately for us tonight was “Art on Market” - all sorts of art displayed for sale, various musicians out front of shops - violin at one place, guitars at another, at our hotel was a trumpet player - Dizzy Gillespie was born here. We had a blast, and learned a lot in the process.

Partner in front of the tiniest law office I’ve ever seen.

Deep history here. At one point confederate soldiers were here; then union soldiers.

My phone battery is dying, and I’m fading. Good juju to all who need it, I’ll be in touch.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088

Thank you, Betrayal, for sharing your garden. I agree with all the adjectives. Amazing, stunning. I find it truly impressive that you with some help from your dh do all that gardening. I was once an avid gardener but no longer. The terrain looks quite rugged, requiring some good knees.

Cindy, Cheraw looks like a delightful place to visit.

Now the lower humidity is promised for tomorrow.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258

Muted sun with a cool start to the morning. Just have to wait and see, I think. Count me as right there with a huge enjoyment factor of a beautifully gardened yard. Something always in season. As I live in mainly shade most of the time, I especially enjoyed the Hosta's — but all were stunning. In the last picture underneath other plants was something (don't know the name) of something I think I have planted in my yard. It propagates itself although deer got into mine a bit. Hoping that they will re-spread. Will maybe have to spray to keep the deer out from now on.

Also enjoyed my trip to Cheraw. What an interesting place. Okay Cindy. I would like to know if you found a treasure to take with you on home. How nice to have historical and entertaining times on the way home. Reminds me of the travel books that feature 'off the beaten track' places to visit. So glad the chocolate is staying on one piece and not embracing any clothing. Good Job. Thrilled you made it just fine through the storm. Hope there are no more for you.

Hope you all have a really good day and all get better week-end weather. Will be quiet here.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Love the flower bed photos.

Haven't tried the true compression socks - the package had white socks on the outside and black socks inside, so I'm still using the light weight pair

• illinoislady

Sad news this morning. The oldest living Iossi brother who lives in South Carolina is in rapidly declining health. That said, it is expected at 92 — it comes when it comes. Milt was one and the oldest of 7 brothers and one sister. One brother was deceased shortly after birth.

None of us are in the kind of health to go see our brother and BIL and that is sad but the family is hyper-aware of how even three or four yrs. can change things drastically. He is a good man with a life well lived.

A little about Milt who was a U.S. Diplomat for his life-long career. He spent time in many interesting places. When I married his brother he was stationed in Robat, Morrocco and later on was in Pakistan and other places. Always kind, always interesting. He loved his posting in France.

Ah, Milton Iossi! A name that resonates with the intriguing world of diplomacy. Let me share some insights about this remarkable individual.

Milton L. Iossi, a retired Foreign Service Officer, left an indelible mark on the diplomatic landscape. His career spanned various regions, but one of his notable postings was in Yugoslavia. 🌍

Yugoslavia, once known as the “Land of the South Slavs,” emerged in 1929 as a successor nation to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes. Over time, it underwent several transformations under different forms of government. By 2003, it had fragmented into Serbia and Montenegro after losing significant territory. The ethnic, religious, and linguistic diversity in the Balkans had long foretold this historical trajectory1.

In the summer of 1962, Yugoslavia held strategic importance during the Cold War. It stood on the front line between the Soviet bloc and the Free World. President Kennedy appointed George F. Kennan, the architect of the U.S. containment policy, as ambassador to this westward-looking nation. Tito, the Communist dictator, was a unique figure—he had been expelled from the Comintern by Stalin for his deviations. Belgrade, the capital, buzzed with diplomatic activity, and U.S. Information Service (USIS) facilities played a crucial role in shaping perceptions and fostering goodwill among the Yugoslavs1.

Milton Iossi arrived in Belgrade as the USIS Executive Officer. His office was at Kneza Milosa 50, and he resided in the adjoining embassy complex. The Counselor for Public Affairs, Walter Roberts, was his colleague. USIS had a significant presence in Yugoslavia, with libraries, press offices, and cultural programs across cities like Zagreb, Novi Sad, Ljubljana, and Skopje. Their mission was to win hearts and minds, bridging the gap between nations and promoting understanding1.

Iossi’s experiences in Yugoslavia—amidst the complexities of the Cold War, cultural exchanges, and the delicate dance of diplomacy—must have been both challenging and rewarding. His legacy lives on, a testament to the power of diplomacy and cross-cultural engagement.

And as we reflect on the past, let’s remember that diplomats like Milton Iossi played pivotal roles in shaping our world, even in lands that no longer exist as they once did. 🌟

If you’d like to explore more about Milton Iossi or delve into other fascinating diplomatic stories, feel free to ask! 😊1

• betrayal

LOL, DH's contribution to garden is to haul bags of mulch or plants where I need them. No green thumb there and he is forbidden to touch any of the beds because he can't tell a weed from a plant and most likely will be tromping on a plant. Yesterday when we were repositioning the slates in the juniper area, I was leveling the soil and he moved the slate into position. So he's the muscle on occasion but he doesn't mulch, just hauls the bags. He is erecting the wire cages around the junipers which is more up his line and at 7 feet high, much too high for me to handle. Thanks for the feedback on my garden.

I repotted some African violets yesterday because they had become pot bound. So I went from 3 pots to one large pot with 3 plants, and 6 single pots all from splitting 3 plants. My kitchen garden window is now packed to the gills with plants. I wish I could put the shelf back in but with Misty climbing on it, that would be a disaster in the making. She still uses the powder room garden window as her sunning spot so I can only keep one large jade plant in there. That is one reason the kitchen one is so full. I need to rehome some of these plants since my green thumb applies to house plants as well. DD rehabs her house plants here but for some reason they never seem to leave.

Today is a dreary, gray, raw and rainy day. It is my 49th wedding anniversary so I was hoping for a nice day. I got married the day before Mother's day which presented a challenge for flowers but my DF had a friend who owned a florist shop. Compound it with I wanted out of season Calla lilies as my bouquet. He was able to get them and they were beautiful. It rained that day as well so we had to have studio photos rather than the outdoor ones we planned. We have a special dinner planned and a gift certificate DD had given us several years ago. We didn't get to use it during Covid so will put it to use today. We have to go to DE for the restaurant

DH gave me a dozen yellow roses which are my favorite rose. We exchanged lovely cards and my card has a butterfly on it which is special to me.

Hope everyone has a good day and if you are a mother (to children or furbabies) have a wonderful Mother's day.

• betrayal

Illinoislady, I had missed your post before posting mine. It is hard when someone you love lives so far away and is not accessible to his remaining family. Does he have family locally?

He sounds like a wonderful man and an asset to the diplomatic corps of the US. Oh, the places he has seen and we will never know the full extent and impact of his endeavors for the countries he was a diplomat in. What a life he has had.

DH has a colleague who is from Yugoslavia. She once invited us to visit her homeland but we were unable to do so.

I hope his passing is peaceful and he is surrounded by those who care about him.

• illinoislady

Happy Anniversary today Betrayal and as well your Dh. Hope you thoroughly enjoy your dinner out together. Anniversaries are wonderful celebrations of cherished times as a couple sharing all the intricacies a life of togetherness usually bring.

Yellow roses — very lovely. Roses were my mother's favorite flower, and she had a yellow rosebush in the back yard. Her love for them as well as mine is why I often use flowers in my avatar.

While sad that we can't make the trip to South Carolina Milt does have his wife Toni as well as his two sons from a previous marriage and a third son he had with Toni. All the children are of course adults and it is good to know Milt will be surrounded with family even while we are missing from the group. There will be a Sunday dinner and then Milt will be going to a VA facility as Toni is a very small woman and just isn't able to continue his care at home herself. He needs around the clock care type facility.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 283

Pictures are lovely Betrayal. You must work hours in your yard.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Holding you in your heart, Jackie, as Milt makes his transition.

Lovely garden, Betrayal—and happy anniversary,

Sad day here—it was our HK's last day. She's still in shock as to how fast her house sold and her move down South is approaching. We are her family and she is ours. I told her that if for any reason it doesn't work out down there she's welcome to live with us…as family, not employee. Bob & I are feeling sorrow even more than apprehension.

Then God said, "here—hold my beer." As I was making dinner, my sis in VA called and asked for Bob. She was afraid she might be having a heart attack, as she was getting very sharp pains on her left side whenever she breathed in. She didn't tell me earlier, but last week she had a shoulder replacement—outpatient, with no discharge instructions or rehab plan, not even a blood thinner to prevent clots. Bob told her it could be a P.E. and to call 911. But my BIL hustled her into the car and took her to an excellent hospital five minutes away. She was triaged, had X-rays, EKG and bloodwork done (probably troponin to rule out a heart attack). She hasn't even had an orthopod followup appointment, and has been sitting up in her recliner for a week—she can't work the lever to recline and sleep. Recipe for a blood clot. But it could also be muscle strain or costochondritis from the sling throwing her out of alignment. So I'm pulling an all-nighter waiting to hear if she's okay—as of 11:30 she still hadn't been seen by a doc. She says she's feeling a bit better (they put her in an ER bed) but the noise from all her fellow patients and their monitors is keeping her awake.

• carolehalston

Happy Anniversary, Betrayal!

Condolences, Jackie.

Sandy, hoping for good news on your sister. It does not sound like she had good medical care.

I will go for a walk this morning. I feel much in the need for exercise and it's supposed to be less steamy outside.

Happy Saturday to all.

• illinoislady

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.

Albert Einstein

• illinoislady

Another one of those when it rains. Sandy, hope your sister (as well as you) finally got some good news. So this doesn't sound like it should happen, this shoulder replacement with no discharge plan or even what to do IF information given. Wondering when that started.

Carole, do hope your weather is okay. It is 3 outside right now. Looks a little windy though. Always makes me wonder if something will blow up. Weather did sound like it would be a little dryer the next couple of days. I hope so. I don't want to get muggy here so soon.

Nothing special for today. Glad its the weekend. I think the kids are needing some good time off. There has been some overtime at work, so it made for a longer week. Still trying to get some visits in.

Hope you all have a good Saturday.

Hugs Puffin, Taco and Petite and anyone else who I may have forgotten.

• chisandy

My sister just called from the hospital: she has PEs in both lungs. Most likely due to a combination of inactivity and not being given post-op blood thinners—she'd been instructed to get up and do an exercise 10x a day but she did it only once because the sling was too awkward and she was in too much pain—so she spent a week sleeping upright in one position. She's being admitted to the CICU for heavy-duty anticoagulants and will have to take anticoagulants for at least 6 months.

This is definitely not the Mother's Day present she wanted—and I may have to go down there this week. (Don't know who will take care of the cats now that we don't have a HK, because Bob doesn't know how to do anything other than scoop litter; and he will definitely not take time off work—he took only one day off for each of my lumpectomy & ocular melanoma procedures).

• betrayal
    edited May 12

Sandy, sorry to hear about your sister's experience and the need for CICU. Not a place I'd want to spend Mother's Day (or New Year's Eve like I did). Weekend staffing, even in ICU's, is not par with during the week. Why was she not seen by visiting nurse or home PT? So much for this home care sans a professional to direct it. Did not have shoulder replaced but did have rotator cuff repair and sling is very awkward especially to sleep in plus I did mix up instructions of arm positioning because instructions were provided when I was post-op drowsy. I was supposed to have sling arm to side of body with hand pointing out not have sling arm across chest. Come to think of it I had no home care then but did have appointment within a week of surgery. Hope she recovers quickly and has no residual lung issues from PE's.

Had a lovely dinner last night at Harry's Savoy Grille. DH had prime rib and I had Filet Oscar which was loaded with crab meat. DH got a side of scalloped potatoes with his prime rib (vegs are ala carte otherwise) and did allow me to take a few from his large portion. The potatoes were not available as a side but the portion was too large for me to eat anyhow. Our dessert plates had Happy Anniversary written on the edge on chocolate which was a nice touch. I had NY cheesecake with a rhubarb strawberry compote and DH had carrot cake. The whole meal was delicious and we will definitely visit again. I drove and the drive there was 75 minutes due to the time of day and the route DH picked. I would not go that way again because they were mostly 2 lane roads through some congested areas. All in all a lovely anniversary so I renewed his contract for another year, LOL.

Waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can go plant some ferns DD had gotten me since the bucket ones are all planted. They shouldn't take long so I may get to deadheading the daffodils by the road.

Contacted yesterday by MLHS that it was advised to participate in a 90 minute zoom class on hip/knee replacement or the alternative is to watch a prerecorded lecture using slides. There were 3 classes I could sign up for: one today which when I tried was already closed (nothing like a late notice from the hospital about these classes), and the other 2 are in conflict with my PT appointments and I will not cancel them. I had done the online class in December so I did it again to refresh the information.

Forgot that they use spinal anesthesia for knees and not sure how I feel about that. I had epidurals for both of my children and general for both of my bowel surgeries. Not sure how you get a spinal and go home the same day but plan on asking lots of questions if I meet with anesthesia on PAT day. Will reach out to coordinator that sent info about classes with some of my questions. Sent him feedback on the information booklet they provide covering both hip and knee replacements. Problem with book is they intertwine information about these surgeries instead of addressing each one separately so it is unclear if you need a shower chair for knees (told no), raised toilet seat, etc. and post-op instructions. So I suggested when they revise this book to please deal with each surgery, pre-, post-op and needs separately so one knows which fits their surgery type.

Next week is very busy with physician's & appointments : zoom with CV surgeon on Monday, Wednesday is x-ray of lumbar spine and MRI's; Thursday is pulmonology and I have PT M, W and F. Plan on hitting Produce Junction for patio plants on Thursday after appointment since I am close by.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. It is sunny and just hit 60 degrees so working in yard will be tolerable after those 90 degree days.

• carolehalston

Betrayal, LOL on renewing dh's contract for another year. Your anniversary dinner sounds lovely.

Sandy, healing vibes for your sister. She doesn't sound like you at all and could probably benefit from your showing up and acting as her health advocate.

The air was delightful this morning at 9 am when I took a 46 minute walk. Sadly the low humidity will be us another day and then mugginess returns.

Happy Saturday to everyone.

• petite1

Well, I am adopting another kitty. This is a senior special needs cat. His name is Rickey Bob. He seems to really like me. I have not introduced him to Midnight Louie, but they both know each other are in the same house. Hope this works out OK.

• betrayal

How kind of you to take on a senior special needs cat as a companion for Midnight Louie. Good luck.

• petite1
  • wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921

petite he’s adorable

• illinoislady

Aw he is adorable kitty and as well so are you. So many people would not be willing to take an older cat with problems. I do sooo hope it all goes well. He looks quite peaceful and content. I am wishing you both well along with Midnight Louie.

• chisandy

I am shocked at how cavalierly hospitals treat joint replacement patients today. I was flabbergasted to learn that nobody came to my sister's room before discharge to demonstrate or even discuss the prescribed exercises and post-op care—just gave her a leaflet. I plan to hang on to the rest of my joints as long as possible and insist on at least an overnight stay with a PT visit. I know that COVID totally upended "congregate living," but this is insane. I don't know how I could have managed my TKRs had I been turfed the same day to home, and had I not booked a rehab facility things might not have worked out well for me. I can see why those with resources are increasingly turning to concierge practices.

I texted my BIL and told him he should book some household help for her—shoulder replacement has the longest and most awkward recovery of all joint replacement surgeries. I imagine she can see her ortho (different hospital—Fairfax—from where she is now, VHC in Arlington) by video, and he'll set up a visiting nurse schedule. Her cardiologist might also do that, to do daily INRs for dose adjustments on her anticoagulant(s), and maybe help her with TED hose. I learned that anticoagulants are rarely given for shoulder replacements—but that PEs are exceedingly rare after them, much rarer than after lower-body joint replacements.

Betrayal, I had epidurals for both TKRs. For the first one they were "flying blind" when they placed the catheter and didn't notice I had scoliosis, so when that needle went in I hit the ceiling. Made them bring in a fluoroscope so they could see where to put the catheter. It was in my chart for the second one. The epidural was long-acting and there was an anesthetic "ball" behind the knee that gave me 24 hrs of relief without the "wobbles," so I could get up with a walker and go down the hall & back as soon as I came to. There is also a series of videos called "Emmi," for which your ortho or NP gives you a link you can watch on your computer—you can pause to take notes. There are Emmis for about 100 different procedures & treatments. I got them for my lumpectomy, radiation and plaque brachytherapy. Wish they had them when I got my TKRs—might have saved me a trip downtown to Northwestern (and a $20 parking fee).

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,272

Betrayal - I agree with Carole. Great that you're renewed the contract for you DH for another year.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,283

Sandy, it’s a good thing your sister reached out to Bob. Wishes she gets the care she deserves.

Jackie, sorry to hear about your BIL. May be go without pain.

Betrayal, I had an epidural for the proximal hamstring avulsion. In all my reading one was never mentioned. When I balked, they asked why. I explained every pregnant woman I knew who had that told horror stories. She told me she’d push a drug in my IV, that they can’t give a pregnant woman, and I’d barely remember it. She was right. Only thing I remember coming out from it, I was freezing- shaking like a leaf. They put on heated blankets and I was all good.

Petite, sweet kitty, hoping they both get along!

We’ve had some rain yesterday on the road, and today at the end of our day at Monticello. Not as bad as the other day, easily survived both.

Started the day in downtown Charlottesville, walking around - MM we did get into the Blue Whale used books, loved it, and also a book store called Second Act. Books were purchased at both! We sat and enjoyed people watching before heading to Monticello.

We would come back and spend more time.

Monticello, what can I say …but I’d go back again. We walked over 10k today without trying, and still didn’t see everything.

You’ve seen the house on the back of our five cent nickel. These were some of the blooms from today.

We all went out to dinner at a small local Mexican place. It was delicious! Ordered a whole chicken, with multiple sides; flan and churros for dessert. We’re stuffed. It was a great stop, enhanced by visiting with my stepson.

Harrisburg, PA tomorrow. I’m ready for bed but won’t try to sleep yet, I don’t want to be awake at 5 or 6AM. I’m cracking open a book.

Wishing all of you a happy Mother’s Day tomorrow - be you a mother by birth or by proxy. My Aunt Marie/Re, I always called my 2nd mom. Enjoy your day.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929

Betrayal loved all the garden photos and agree with your comments about limited post-op care.

Sandy, I hope your sister continues to improve. I'm sure you and Bob are a soure of comfort to them. Mine lives in that area and has CHF. She has had a bad cold and sinus infection for 2 weeks now which is worrisome.

Petite, love the new Kitty 😺 😍

Illinois my sympathy to you regarding Milt. A well lived life indeed.

I had my first screening mammogram on Tuesday after 10 years of diagnostic (so I could avoid this waiting). I am awaiting results. They seem to take their time here but I'd rather they be thorough. The tech said it would take a bit longer since they had to get my records from Hopkins. For curiosity since I worked in tech, I checked the " link" I had put in to connect the two charts. Gone. They recently had a data migration so some things must have not made it. I redid it. So if I don't hear by Tuesday I'm thinking I'll call.

Happy mother's day to those to whom the holiday is meaningful.

• petite1

Well, the first night with my new kitty was a little rough. He wants to be with me and so does Louie. He was meowing about midnight, so I put him in the spare room and slept with him. I let him out on the porch about 4, when I had to use the bathroom. This morning everyone has eaten and he used his cat pot. He wants in the house, but so does Louie. I guess I will figure it out.

• betrayal

Happy Mother's Day to all be it a real child or a fur baby or a beloved family member such as a beloved niece.

petite1, better days will come once they have adjusted to each other. With my 3 cats, Leo gets along with the other 2 but prefers to spend his days in the primary bedroom on his chair, Misty and Tawny do battle on a regular basis. Tawny outweighs Misty by more than a few pounds but she usually backs down. I do have to be careful because Misty is the only one with claws and could do some damage. Nice that your new one wants to be with you, he feels at home.

Sandy, is your sister on Coumadin? INR's are not performed for the newer anticoagulants, just PT/PTT for some. There don't seem to be any rehab centers for joint replacements/post-op hospital stays anymore because you are referred to a nursing home if you want rehab. That is what they offered me and I politely declined. I went home with support services and will do the same with my knee because I was told I would be given written instructions for PT, no dice for that. If I am told that post anesthesia I can't make any decisions for 2 hours that also means my ability to retain any post-op information is slim to none. Written instructions without explicit photos dooms one to failure and with join replacement no one wants a failure of the joint due to a mishap. So if you want me to do home exercises, give me access to videos of the exercises so I can see how it is properly done. Thanks for the EMMI info, I will pursue this.

I wish a speedy recovery for your sister from this horror show. Post-op complications seem to be happening more and more (with these same day surgeries) and if they occur at home, it would seem hospitals can disassociate themselves from it if there is no readmission. They do get gigged for readmissions within 30 days.

I will also ask questions about having an epidural, which I have had experience with, versus the spinal and the "knee ball". Thought I wonder if they offer them if you are same day surgery?

cindyny, beautiful photos. Don't forget to see if you can swing by an Ikea. You would love the store. There is one in Conshohocken, PA and 2 in NJ: Elizabeth and Paramus.

It is raining here so no gardening today as planned. Did get the 4 ferns in yesterday and deadheaded the daffodil bed by the road where there are about 500 plants. I still have 3 other smaller beds to deadhead but they won't take much time. Noted some poison ivy in the large bed so will spray it and the invasive vine I saw as well.

There is a wild rose bush on the far side of the bed (that actually is my neighbor's property which they ignore) and it is presenting sight line problems for us when leaving the driveway. So I will chop it back to prevent any accidents. They can deal with the weeds growing around their mailbox. I am thinking of installing a small fence along the property line so they don't think it is my responsibility.

Have a wonderful day.