Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609

Sandy, my post-op meds are Norco w/ 300 mg acetaminophen every 4 hours, celebrex twice a day, gabapentin three times a day, and acetaminophen 325 mg is every 8 hours. I have not been taking the latter religiously so with cutting back on dosage of Norco to 1 tab every 5-6 hours, I did add it in to maybe twice a day. Pain management today being multimodal is so much more sophisticated than in the past. In acute pain they will prescribe as much as 4,000 mg acetaminophen/day. Have GERD so need to watch NSAID's.

I do think I was rushing my recovery and the Decadron may have given me the feeling (euphoria) that I was healing faster than expected. The downtime is necessary for healing, but I must say I am used to being more active so this is a slow slog. After my long recovery from the December surgery, getting back to a somewhat painful norm and then being post-op again is restrictive and somewhat boring. I am esconced in the recliner, yet again, and feel like it or I am growing into one another. The recliner is the only chair where my legs can reach the floor, the sofa is too low and the other arm chair would keep me from elevating leg. So recliner with pillows, it is.

PT today told me that my progress is very good and to take the day off to allow myself to recover some. I did practice stairs with her and the goal is to maybe make it up the 13 steps this Friday when she returns. The dressing came off this afternoon and the PA had told me the incision was "small". Don't know what she meant because the only thing small is the width, it is quite long. Still bathing at the sink but hope to may be shower next week? Could do it now, according to MD's orders, but it is a jetted tub shower with solid glass doors (not removable) so not ready to lift my leg that high quite yet. No walk-in showers here. Shower chair would not work but we do have grab bars installed.

I had a rented Polar ice machine when I had my rotator cuff repair and it was a godsend. The ice packs from the hospital tend to leak after awhile so I reserve them for when I am awake. The gel filled discs provided by our oral surgeon over the years are usable. I have a stock of them in the freezer and one side has a cloth covering while the other is plastic. I take 2 and position them in a longer hand towel wrapped around my leg (with the cloth side touching my skin) and they last about 20-30 minutes. Great for overnight because they just fall out and I replace as needed. I rearrange them as needed. Your comments and concerns were most appreciated.

I do hope that they can get your home restored quickly. Your new living arrangements sound great with all the extra space so you won't feel so confined. Just wish you did not have to make so many moves prior to there.

Last night was rough but I did manage to nap today. Not sure why sleep was such a challenge but it wasn't pain that was keeping me awake. Had a dream about breakfast food and sent DH to the local hole in the wall for scrambles eggs, home fries and extra crispy scrapple. Yes, I was raised on scrapple, know what it is composed of and still love it. Would not eat most of the contents by themselves but in combo they taste great but I like it really, really crisp with ketchup. We used to see the Amish make it at the Kutztown German Festival in a huge black cauldron (over a wood fire) and they would be throwing in 50 pound bags of flour. My parent would buy several pans of it while it was still molten and it would gel by the time we arrived home. They had mules (which walked in circles) hitched to a huge spatula that stirred the cauldron contents. As a kid we loved watching them.

I am walking about every 60 minutes and still doing loops around the kitchen island but the steps are not as many as I'd like but as the PT said, it will come.

Your support and understanding has been most welcome, especially since some of you are facing real hardships health wise.

Today was sunny, in the low 70's so cool and not humid. There is one doe who is consuming what is left of my bleeding hearts and for the past 2 days has brought her fawn with her. Today it was frolicking around the back yard with a case of "fawn zoomies". Fun to watch but DH wisely said "it represents the next horde of garden menaces" which is true but I do derive some pleasure from them even if they regard my yard as a salad bar.

Hope everyone had a good day.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 344

Sandy - both my previous Onc and the new Onc suggested Tamoxifin when I expressed concern about the impact of AI on my bones. I had lost 9% of bone density in two years and that seemed a lot to me. Previous Onc said she was comfortable with increased risk of uterine cancer and blood clots but I am not. Previous Onc also Pooh-poohed the risk of ovarian cancer due to my genetic mutation. While it is in no way the oncologist’s fault I have ovarian cancer I did feel she was dismissive and statistically I lost on the odds. Current oncologist said uterine cancer was no longer a concern because I’ve had a hysterectomy. At this point I am focused on completing chemo and determining next steps as I have the most aggressive type of ovarian cancer which is difficult to detect whereas my breast cancer was slow growing and has good diagnostic tools.

Betrayal - hang in there. You’ve got this!

Sandy - Good luck with the move.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258

A really thoughtful and nice thing to do Chris. Here's hoping for an influx of good karma coming your way.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,283

Harley, Puffin, Betrayal - I think of you often and wish the best for each of you.

Tonight I had a call from my sister, our aunt passed away. She was the last of my mom’s family. At 96 she has said she prayed to god to take her, she didn’t know why she was still here. Lots of tears shed between us tonight.

I’m waiting until tomorrow to get a flight back home. I’m thinking of flying out late Thursday. My original flight wouldn’t get me home until 11:20 pm on Saturday, and it was nonrefundable and also can’t be changed.

Add to my day, a severe thunderstorm woke me abruptly at 6:50 this morning. Once I was functioning I realized it felt like I had a UTI. In the major storm I had to go to Urgent Care where they confirmed a UTI, and then I was off to CVS for my script.

This evening I went out (between the rain drops) and bought painters tape, a good angle paint brush and paint. I wanted to paint all the trim and baseboard in the master bathroom. Before I had the phone call about my aunt passing, I was able to tape off everything. Tomorrow morning after I’m awake I’ll have to jump to it to get 2 coats on it.

I’m heading to bed. We’ll see what Wednesday brings.

• illinoislady

The feeling that "I am enough" does not mean that I have nothing to learn,
    nothing further to achieve, and nowhere to grow to.  It means that I accept
    myself, that I am not on trial in my own eyes, that I value and respect
    myself.  This is not an act of indulgence but of courage.

Nathaniel Branden
    Self-Esteem Every Day

• illinoislady

I'm so sorry about the loss of you Aunt, Cindy. It is hard when it's the last of a family. I hope you can get the flight you need and also that you had to be away when you got this news. If things really do come in 3's maybe your own the way to having things settle out for you. That won't erase the grief you must feel and that will be there for a while, but hopefully smooth out all the other bumps.

Sunny , but not super bright this a.m. The way I like it. Much warmer weather is said to be coming but wondering if we will stay just a bit milder here as sometime happens.

Nothing special today but will have my Urology appt. this afternoon. It is the new one as Dr. Barrientos had an opportunity to go to work for the V.A. and as he is in his 60's felt the need to do it. He is still young enough to make a major move right now that likely wouldn't work in five or so years if he even got the same opportunity. He and his family are very big on the military. So I will meet Dr. Regan for the first time. I hope it all goes well and I can develop the trust and confidence in him that I was able to have with Dr. Barrientos.

Hoping all have a good day. Carole, yours seem to be remaining (for now anyway) nice and cool.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Betrayal, I found a standing bar the bottom of which slides under the sofa and the top of which is high and stable enough to hold on to and pull yourself up. I bought it on Amazon when we had an old sofa with deflated cushions that gave Bob great trouble getting up from it. I also used not a shower seat but a padded "transfer bench:" half of it sits in the tub or shower enclosure and the other half outside it. You sit on the outside part and you can either keep that leg dry while you wash everything else: then when you get the green light to get it wet, you can sit on the outside part, extend your leg and slide over so you are fully in the tub/shower.

Condolences on losing your aunt, Cindy. No matter how old, losing a family member (especially a last surviving one) is always too soon. May her memory be for a blessing.

Coming into the wild homestretch of moving from this hotel into the next. Bob never learned how to pack himself and has no system as to which of his stuff goes where. (We both lived with our parents till our wedding day, but my mom taught me housework, cooking and organizational skills). He has been taking one bag or item at a time down to his car because he says he "need(s) the steps." Oy. Project mgr is coming 1pm w/his truck to help us move whatever doesn't fit into our two cars. I have to leave enough room in mine for the cats in their carriers so I can soothe and reassure them on the drive downtown. Cleaning crew chief just called me today to ask what I want from the garage—I headed him off at the pass, as the garage is detached, across the yard, and totally unaffected by smoke. He had to ask his crew to put everything back in there where it was. And someone had taken his camera (with all the photos of our stuff) and our (decrepit) landline phones overnight. I was there only briefly to pick up one piece of mail, didn't see any of that, and locked up when I left.

It's always something.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088

Condolences, Cindy.

My computer says it's 82 degrees and Sunny. I turned on the a/c in the truck on the way home from the gym. DH just switched out the little electric heater in the living area for the little electric fan. I also have the ceiling fan going and the exhaust fan in the hatch in the ceiling. So it's "airy" in here!

With luck we'll continue to have cool nights for good sleep for a while.

Speaking of luck, I hope the transition in living quarters goes well, Sandy.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,833

Betrayal, tell hubby "At this point in time I prefer the joy of watching fawns having fun, would you rather hear me groan and moan?" Glad that you are doing better.

Cindy, I also dread that call. My aunt Is much more optimistic, but everything else is true. It is sad, but at least she lived a long, full life. Once the last of our parents' generation dies, we know that it will come to us.

Sandy, hopefully things will go more smoothly now. Hopefully the loss of the crew chief's documentation on that camera won't give anyone an excuse to steal suff.

It looks like I won't be moving after all.

Been having an interesting time helping set up for the parish rummage sale. My back is hurting to gosh almighty, so I am trying to get a referral to a chiropractor. My doctor is an osteo and booked up, but if I take potluck I might be wasting my time trying to get a referral.

• betrayal

cindyny, condolences on the death of your aunt. May her memory be a blessing to you. I have no remaining aunts or uncles at this point so it is people of my generation who are now dying so I have a few widowed friends.

Today was a better day pain wise and I have finished the one bottle of Norco and this new bottle suggests 1 capsule every hours. I have been using the Tylenol 325 mg more, icing and elevating the leg. Not quite "toes above nose" but swelling is only bad at end of day. Trying to walk every hour and increasing laps around the island. Enjoying the Father Brown series and now am on the 6th season.

DH got breakfast for us at the local place and they do not know how to make cream chipped beef. Very little meat but lots of wallpaper paste gravy. They do have corned beef hash so may give that a taste. Tomorrow will most likely just be a toasted bagel and yogurt.

Today was sunny, in the high 70's and very humid. It is getting hotter this week so I'm staying indoors. DH has been working on transplanting pachysandra to some bare areas abutting the driveway. His next project is the fencing around the bed by the stream. The supports we used were too light so it has collapsed and now that the bleeding hearts are dying back he can install new supports. He has been a good care taker so far.

Chris, you have changed your mind about moving?

carole, enjoy your cool nights for sleeping. I prefer a cold room so I can bundle in blankets.

Sandy, hope the move goes smoothly. How will you replace the photos the cleaning crew chief took? Did he leave his camera in your house or his car? Hope he had backup photos. That's why we took our own.

Hope everyone had a good day. I'm going to get some ice for my knee, take a pain pill and try to hit the sack. I slept better last night but keep waking around 6 AM and wish I wouldn't. Hope I can sleep later tomorrow.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,833
    edited June 13

betrayal, it appears that those people are leaving me alone. If I keep myself busy with Tippy and bike and church, and avoid for the most part social interactions with people who live here, I think I can settle in. This is the way we do it back home. The accusations for the most part have been proven false.

• illinoislady

A bag of apples, a pot of homemade jam, a scribbled note, a bunch of golden flowers, a coloured pebble, a box of seedlings, an empty scent bottle for the children. . . . Who needs diamonds and van-delivered bouquets?     -Pam Brown

• illinoislady

Good morning. Sunny here this a.m. as weatherman predicted. Sometimes they are right, huh !! It is sort of nice to look dry for a change. We have a high-water table here so we are not super dry by a long shot.

Chris good to hear you may be able to stay where you are. Moving is difficult all of the time, but understandable if need be. Keeping distance from those who don't wish you well is a really good stance. It nullifies being able to 'get' a rising response and those who like a spot of drama will have to invent something else.

Betrayal sounds good that your pain has relaxed a bit. That is always good news. You have been through the wringer so much and so its time for something to smooth quickly. Hope you are on your way now.

My room stays cool because I keep the door shut and a fan running to make sure the air circulates well. We still don' really have the a/c come on very much yet so any built up heat in the house (my room is shady) usually doesn't stay overnight. I still have my all-weather comforter on the bed yet, but I'm definitely thinking it's a close call. I fold it down when I first go to bed, but by the wee hours it keeps creeping up, every time I use the bathroom.

Cindy, I'm thinking about you and hoping yesterday (Wed) went as you expected. Sure hope so.

My visit with new Oncologist un-eventful. We won't be doing anything until October when he will do a scope to make sure there is nothing of concern. Sort of a waste, but at least I will have at least had an introduction before needing 'real' intervention. Being VA if I really didn't get along, I could ask for someone else, but pretty much the procedures for me are the same as what Dr. Barrientos was doing. Dr. Regan is close at hand so that is on the plus side and he has the qualifications to please the VA. Time will tell.

MM, hope all is well with you and that you and Dh are enjoying life with Kelse. She is a lucky dog. Likely has had time to feel she is really home.

Hope all have a great day.

• chisandy
    edited June 13

Project mgr's assistant and another restoration crew supervisor also took photos, as did the initial adjuster. (We have a new permanent one—more about that later).

In the Dinner & Drinking threads I mentioned "adventures" we've been having. (God apparently never gets tired of asking people to hold His beer). We kept going back & forth with the rental agency about the lease & various security & pet deposits on the temp. house—amazing how many agents it takes, having difficulty downloading .pdfs requiring a password that repeatedly got rejected.

Yesterday was hotel-moving day. Almost threw my back out emptying the used litter (about 20 lbs) into a (doubled) trash bag and the Litter Genie contents into the dumpster. Cats found a packet of catnip, bit it open and rolled around in it—so Bob & I were able to tag-team them into their carriers by picking up pinches of it from the carpet and putting it the carriers. Project mgr's assistant was able to take whatever didn't fit in our cars—I took the kitties.

Got into the car, with AC on max-cool…and it blew only hot air, the entire 10 mile/40-min. trip in 95-degree weather. Cats yowling & panting the whole time—had to open the windows & sunroof on the (slowly crawling) freeway. Moved into the downtown hotel, 1-BR suite, let the cats explore the room (BangBang jumped up atop the kitchen cabinets) as we went downstairs for the weekly Wed. "social hour." Got back to the room and the cats were nowhere to be found. Panicked, but then remembered seeing BangBang trying unsuccessfully to jimmy open the bedroom closet's sliding door, and noticed it was slightly open…and there they were, happily chilling out behind the clothes.

Today was to be the walk-through of our home with the adjuster. Tonight is the hospital dinner at a country club down in Beverly. Bob took CTA to work and said I should use his car and pick him up at work. Well, I came back up to the room, 11 floors up, after breakfast…just before the elevator system went down. So I'm going nowhere for the time being. Can't order anything in the way of food or sundries, as there's no way for it to be delivered. At least we have some last night's dinner leftovers to reheat, along with lots of protein bars & shakes.

Meanwhile all the bedside recharging outlets in the bedroom are USB-A ports, and we have only one USB-A to USB-C cable between the two of us, so we need to use inconveniently located wall outlets with our USB-C chargers. (The two wireless Qi/MagSafe ones we brought from home died at the last hotel).

Oh—and due to another day of record heat, we are under a level 2 severe storm warning, with the worst of it predicted for the route down from Bob's office to Beverly.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln…..

• betrayal

Sandy, words fail me at this point. If you were Catholic, I would suggest an exorcism, LOL. Hope the storms pass without incident and you somehow make it to the dinner without further incident. Thank goodness, there were backup photos.

Chris, glad that you no longer are the target for nasty people.

Illinoislady, glad you are getting some better weather. Sounds like the new oncologist will be a good fit and that you have a reprieve until October.

Better day although leg is stiff due to quads and hamstrings tightness. Range of motion in joint is somewhat restricted but still pushing myself to walk through the discomfort. Have been able to keep pain in reasonable range using the Celebrex, and OTC Tylenol. Saving Norco for overnight or when leg starts to throb. Icing often and find I get better results from the gel pads rather than the ice bags which were developing leaks. Standing for a long time still is a challenge so resorting to washing up at the sink rather than trying shower. Goal is to get a shower but want leg to feel more supportive. Got hair washed at kitchen sink which works because I have a really deep bowl and a sprayer. Shallow sink side has a garbage disposal in it and not conducive to using sprayer without washing the entire kitchen.

DH just went to pickup Bonefish Grille order. They offered a $10 coupon on a meal that had to be used by tomorrow so we'll take it.

DGS has a job being a helper for a general contractor. He's teaching him basic skills such as how to spackle, etc but no use of power tools. Yesterday, they were on their way to a job when a local radio station announced a contest. Question was what lays eggs besides birds? Of course, DGS announces turtles, his boss calls it in and wins a 6 day cruise to Mexico. DGS ineligible because he's only 13, but I am sure hoping his boss gives him a generous tip for the answer, because he had no clue that it was correct. Imagine his surprise when he won and my DGS's disappointment that he wasn't eligible. Seems they ran the same question the day before and no one had called in with the correct answer, so they ran it again. So proud of him. He's really bright but at the stage where he would rather be the class clown at times. Meanwhile, I need to connect with hi about his final report card and our agreement about grades.

Sunny, low 80's but very humid today. Had to turn on AC because it was so clammy.

Hope everyone had a good day.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

Betrayal, so cute that your DGS knew turtles lay eggs! So do most snakes and platypus! I didn't think it was that hard of a question, surprised it took two days for station to get a correct answer, but then again, I was a veterinary technician for 10 years so maybe what seems easy for me isn't for most? His boss DEFINITELY should give him something for that!

Sandy, sorry your living arrangements have been such a bummer! I hope things start looking up for you!

Cindy, so sorry to read about your aunt.

Puffin and Harley, sending tons of healing vibes to both of you!

• illinoislady

MM and Betrayal. Knowledge is often what you do (job) or what you experienced as a child because your parents had a certain set of likes (my mother extremely fond of country music) or just due to your reading a lot and retaining it. My mother pretty much had a photographic memory.

Anyway to get to the story we were friends with a couple who lived in Carpinteria, California same time Dh and I did. Barry was considered a genius. Nothing much stumped him. To this day I'm not even sure why we played Trivia with him. We always lost. At any rate his turn to stump me was on a question with what came after 'from a Jack to a Queen'. I instantly gave him he answer 'from loneliness to a wedding ring' because I had heard that country song so much. Barry was totally flabbergasted. He just couldn't believe someone could know something like that so easy.

So, it really does have a lot to do with what you and or your parents, your school and perhaps your library expose you to.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 283

Sandy - you're right - no one could make all your experiences up!

Chris - hope your plans to not move work out. In the meantime, you've done some recycling.

I'm getting ready to schedule a partial knee replacement. I wasn't happy with my total one on my right leg 5 years ago and am hoping this will go better. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone has given to Betrayal. I gave up AT's at a little over 3 years - after my ortho said they could have affected my knee's healing. I don't think that ortho ever read my chart to know that I was taking them. I too saw an immediate mood change when stopping.

Sending hugs to all who need them.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,283
    edited June 14

Things for all seem to be moving along. Sandy, maybe some sage burning could change your luck. Jackie, I’m glad you and your new dr are comparable. Chris, so much easier for you not to move, thankful that is working out. Thank all of you for condolences.

Turns out my aunts service won’t be held until 6/19. It’s all in one day, wake/church service/cemetery and afterwards a get together with family to share a meal & some memories. I didn’t have to change my plans and buy another ticket home.

Rain, rain and more rain! Fort Myers has broken rain total records for the past 3 days. I believe the 3 day total was just over 12” measured at Page Field, not far from my house. Flooding all over, and worse south of here.

Today I went for a pedicure thinking ahead of my aunts service. I have a dr appointment Monday and a union picnic Tuesday, so I thought I’d get it done now. The road into the cluster of strip malls was flooded, police blocked an additional road in. I made a left and thought oh please do not stall on me now, as I drove through some deep water. I was only in deep water for 200 feet or so and immediately turned in to a higher ground parking lot. Crazy weather, but to get that far our main roads were fine. It rained hard the entire time I was in the spa. I left exiting on to main streets, drove slow and got home safe.

Weather back in NY for next week is bizarre. The day of the service it will be 97, the next day 99. I had to double check I was looking at NY and not FL.

• illinoislady

Yesterday is experience. Tomorrow is hope. Today is getting one to another as best we can. John M. Henry.

• illinoislady

Good Morning. A nice sun here this morning. Cindy after reading about and hearing about Florida's weather (so much rain and flooding) directly from you, I'm not going to whine one bit. I'll be glad when you can get your flight and get back home. Even if you'll be in heat. I think this is one of those years of El Nino type harsh weather, but also a part of the change coming from global warming that at times has not been believed. Likely more belief when we have records being broken and passed all the time.

May go today to the hearing center here (I have gone there before when I have rather minor issues with my hearing aids. So far, they have been quite kind in helping me out. I need new tubes and the ones I have are for my newer aids and not the older ones I switched back to. Different size. Hopefully, the hearing center may have some that will suffice.

Nothing else of any note here and although I'm not complaining, our weather is a bit warmer. The a/c actually came on last night for a bit. So far, it still isn't running much at all and I'm thankful for that, but at some point a change will come.

We were fortunate this past HVAC cycle. Our propane bill was only $73.00 for the month. We pay pro-rated monthly for 9 months and then get three months off. The last few yrs. before that were about $110.00 on average. We have one of the best dealers around. The prices are based on what they have to pay for the propane — so a real blessing when it is lower for the season. I always think it helps during those months we can go w/o using heat or a/c. We do use propane though for our water heater and cooking, so we are still using propane but not on a constant basis so much.

Are you staying cool, Carole?

Hope you all have a good day.

• mavericksmom

Wow Jackie, I pay three times that for propane in PA! We paid $1,000 during one of cold winter months. We pay after a delivery. I love the family owned company we use, and the price is compatible with other companies, actually lower than most in our region.

DD and family made it safely to London, but not without the plane making an emergency landing in Canada. One of the passengers had a heart attack, DD said they removed the passenger (ambulance to hospital) and fueled up the plane and took off for London. It was a night flight, as are most from east coast, so GK's likely slept through all of it. They will take a train to Scotland, spend a week there, then return to London for a week and attend a Taylor Swift concert at Wimbledon. I am so glad they are living life large and can well afford to!

Taco, I see my MO in August. This marks five years from my ILC and Letrozole. He mentioned once that I probably should stay on the AI for ten years. I am not bothered by it, but then again, not thrilled about taking it. I will discuss with him when I see him.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,273

Cindy, Are you floating down there. We had a little rain Weds. and Thurs. It is pretty dry up here.

Life without Anastrozole hasn't been as good as I hoped. Joints are still stiff and my sleeping is worse than it was when I was on it. I also have gained weight. Facial hair did not disappear. It is still nice not to have to take one more pill.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088

Jackie, we are warming up during the day. On Tuesday afternoon it got hot enough in the camper that I turned on the a/c. A rain storm with hail cooled things off. Some of my flowers on the deck weren't too happy with the onslaught of hail but are surviving. It was mostly about dime sized with some larger nickel sized. Other areas got larger hail that caused damage.

Today it's 73 and sunny. Comfortable inside with fans. I went to the gym, to the bank to make a deposit for the resort, and to Walmart's where I bought a box fan to use on the deck when it gets really hot. I'm thinking about cleaning the laundry room this afternoon, which entails washing the rugs and mopping the floor. The owners have so much stuff in there that not a lot of floor is open to be mopped. It's fairly obvious that they use "our" washer and dryer instead of their own to wash dirty clothes and cat hair matted towels and rugs. They have three cats and a lot of the furniture in the house is spread with towels to protect the upholstery. Two of our people in the resort who use the laundry room are allergic to cats. Problems. Problems. Fortunately, not major problems.

• betrayal

We use propane for kitchen stove and for running the generator. I don't know actual cost per month since they only refill the tanks every 9 months or so. House is heated by oil/hot water heat. Just know it is cheaper than natural gas which was not an option for us in this area.

For PT today I made it to the top of the steps and down with little to no difficulty. Would require a spotter when doing so I don't fall but plan on repeating over the weekend. Next week is possibly moving back in to primary bedroom for sleep so she wants to practice getting in and out of bed. Asked her to measure degree of flexion today and with a little effort I was able to reach 95 degrees. Goal is 110 degrees and more if achievable but that is a ways off.

Pain varies and I have been reserving Norco for overnight or during day if exercise causes increased pain. Mostly using Tylenol though. Uncomfortable but icing does help reduce it to tolerable level. Have been able to walk short distances in powder room without use of walker. Don't regret surgery at all and wish I had been able to do this a year ago when I first saw Orthopod about it. That was the guy who blew me off then and led me to find my current Ortho surgeon.

Passport was finally returned today after waiting over a month for renewal. DH got his new one in less than 2 weeks after submission and I think I am just at 30 day mark. Had to have photo retaken initially because it was too light and if you saw the photo in the passport with the darker shirt, you would ask why? It is so paled out that you can hardly tell it is a darker shirt. Sort of gray toned.

Hot, humid day with showers blowing through the area now. We need the rain.

DH's birthday is Sunday and he was actually born on Father's Day so this will be a repeat for him. He told DD he wants Mission BBQ for his dinner so she is arranging for take-out. Her birthday is next Friday and I hope to order a cake for her. She wants to rent an RV and head to Ohio to see the Rock 'n Roll museum plus the last Bennigans restaurant. We had one in K of P many years ago and all fell in love with their baked potato soup.

Hope everyone had a great day.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,273

I forgot to mention, I am sweating like I did 20 years. No one had these issues going off Anastrozole?

• chisandy

Got the AC fixed—first went to my appt. with Firestone in the S. Loop, only to find they had a 2-day backup before they could even get to me. So I called Evanston Subaru and drove all the way up there (had to swing by the house for a final walk-through and pick up mail anyway). Turns out I was down a few oz. of coolant and there were obstructions in the radiator & hose. Got my summer maintenance while there, too.

Had a fun dinner at Eataly with the kids—Leslie had never been there before. It is a Disneyland of food & drink—except all its stuff is real. Spent some futile time online looking for shirts to fit Bob's expanding midsection—Nordstrom carries only the colors he already has, Brooks Bros. closed its Mag Mile store and the Custom Shop's only brick & mortar store is in Toldeo, OH. But I did find him 3 nice ones at Target! Also bought a Nespresso Essenza Mini for the room (the in-room coffee is execrable) plus some Peet's capsules. It's too tiny for the hotel's mugs to fit beneath the spout—so I finagled some disposable espresso cups from the Lavazza counter at Eataly.

Bought some USB-A to C cables, only to find the USB ports in the lamps are dead. So I have to sleep with my phone unplugged on the nightstand and plug it back in (outlet is on Bob's side) when I'm up. Other weirdnesses in this suite: the kitchen faucet has no sprayer & doesn't swivel; no full-length or close-up mirrors, and the only place to put the litterbox (in front of the vanity) makes reaching the sink a challenge—can't move it further back because the vanity underside is so narrow BangBang can't turn around in it!

• mavericksmom

Sandy, happy to hear your car AC is fixed! What a relief! On the way home from NE one year, on the western side of the PA turnpike, a stone flew off a truck and hit my AC unit in my Forester. We heard the sound, first thought it was the windshield, but no crack, didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until we got back in the car after stopping at a rest stop that we realized the AC didn't work. I forgot how awful rolling down the windows for air is! Took it to the dealership (never had anyone else work on my car) and it was still under warranty so they replaced the part that was punctured by the rock and put in new coolant, and it was good to go.

Also glad to hear you were able to get Bob shirts! You will feel so much better about all of this when you get into the temporary house. I hope your home gets renovated so you can move back in by early fall!

Petite, I feel sorry for you! I take Letrozole so can't offer any information.

Cindy, I hope your trip home is non-eventful!

Puffin and Harley, continued healing vibes to both of you!

Betrayal, sounds like you really made progress with your PT. I hope things continue this way and the worst is behind you! When is your trip? It's to Switzerland. right? Nice to look forward to!

Gorgeous day here. DD and family are now in Scotland. I wish I was there too! I plan to get outside today after some normal house cleaning. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be nice, but next week, super hot. I am thankful for AC, which is not expensive to run. Tomorrow is my weekly coffee with my DS. She and I are best friends!

• illinoislady

What a desolate place would be a world without flowers.  It would be a face without a smile, a feast without a welcome.  Are not flowers the stars of the earth?  And are not our stars the flowers of heaven?

Clara Balfour

• illinoislady

Good morning. It reached 92 here yesterday. Ugg. Had the plumber out and he will come again Monday. He needs to bring his helper who is slender and will be able to get in the crawl space under the house. He said (like I would really know for sure what that really means) that the main line is 'loose', and once all the adjustments are made on it, then they will test for any leaks. Assuming then that 'tightening' the main line may cure the leaks we and another guy saw. Whatever, because it has to be fixed period.

Sandy, glad to hear you had things a bit easier yesterday and you do have your a/c fully again. Especially since the weather will have plenty of warmth to deal with now.

MM, did I say I'm not going to complain anymore about my propane costs after hearing about yours. I do think we are fortunate here to not only have good prices on a lot of things, but as well since it is a bit on the depressed side here, companies do offer pro-rate pricing. We get a similar set-up with our electric which we get from Ameren. Other companies say they are cheaper and one yr. we actually tried it. Turned out we didn't see any real savings, and to boot we had to sign up for 2 yrs. and you have to go through a 'process' to actually opt out once the two yrs. were up. So every yr. some company starts having people (usually a couple of fellows) standing around at Walmart to try and get you to sign up. I just smile and shake my head no. I do know from advertising they (whomever is making the offers now) have likely better features — like not having to sign an extended contract, and maybe they are cheaper, but I'm not much into switching around. If Ameren suddenly got 'wild' in pricing maybe I'd think of it, but once burned I feel no special need to having to sign up every yr. with someone else. Interesting thing — Ameren still handles the billing. No matter who you sign with.

I'm sure glad we got our a/c fixed. The few times we have had to have our windows open the sounds of the rushing wind as you drive etc. is really un-pleasant to me now. Also sitting at lights and waiting with no air at all is not so great either, though tolerable. I don't turn it up too high. Twice we have been told our compressor is becoming weaker — so I am trying not to strain it and so far since my car sits in shade at my house, I don't feel like we need it to get ice cold inside immediately. I can wait a bit.

Betrayal continued progress I hope for you. It may never work as well as it did, but we just want to be able to do most of what we did before without all the pain, discomforts and limits.

Petite, that sounds unusual to me, but then it has been years for me, and I haven't kept up with anyone going off the pills. Interesting question I think for one of your Dr's. We have a tendency to lump things into 'when you are older' or when you are short, or chubby or whatever. Surely there is a good answer. I hope you find it and a solution as well.

Hoping everyone else is doing okay — Puffin, Harley, Taco and anyone else I've forgotten.

Hope you have a good Saturday.