Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258

Good morning although it is really afternoon. Cindy, glad you did not get the advertised tornado, but just lots of rain. Being able to skip watering is a bit of a blessing and that watering seems to have done wonders for your flowers after the after the great food/fertilizer gift before and after your months in Florida.

Glad things are going okay for you as well Sandy. Anniversary night sounds great and what a nice gift from your kids. Hope all stays smooth and no Monday issues exiting driveway. Kitties are getting to explore again now. It may take their minds off of being sassy and or defensive.

Puffin, Chris, Taco, Harley, MM, and Betrayal. Hope you are all okay. Carole (staying cool in MN) as well.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 344

Cindy - your hydrangeas are gorgeous! The hot and rainy weather has been very good for them even if it wasn’t so great for the humans in your area.

Sandy - hope the 2nd day of moving goes smoothly and the cats are cooperative. Good to hear you have nice neighbors and have figured out a way to safely enter the street in front of your new ‘temporary’ house.

Betrayal - how are you feeling after your first outpatient PT?

Jackie - have you been able to fix the 2nd leak? I always find home repairs frustrating and expensive. Last week one of our garage door openers broke but DH was able to replace it so the cost wasn’t too bad. Unfortunately he was working on it in the 90+ degree heat which I thought was a bit dangerous. This week our pool filter sprung a leak and drained 6 inches of water from the pool before we realized it. The filter needs to be replaced so we are waiting on a quote and lead time. This one is gonna be pricey.

Carole - your weather sounds so nice. I hope the cooler temps hold for you.

Puffin - as always, I am thinking of you.

The last week has been rough physically and mentally for me. Very up and down emotionally and so tired over the weekend I slept 16-18 hours day. We did go out for a very enjoyable lunch at a favorite local spot on Friday and I made it to the gym today for a light workout. I’m just frustrated with my lack of energy.

I’m also frustrated with both brothers, although I love them dearly. DB#2 is getting better but he keeps cancelling doctors appointments which only sets his recovery back. DB#1 is checking in with #2 a few times a day which I appreciate but I can tell it is starting to wear on him. I was upset with DB#1 last week because he keeps telling me I could have a ‘so much worse situation”. He’s correct and I’m very grateful the cancer is early stage, but not what I wanted to hear when I was already feeling down. In fairness to DB#1 his benchmark for ‘worse situation’ is based on losing his wife to glioblastoma 3 months after she was diagnosed. So I do understand to a point as that was a really rough time in his life.

Bloodwork tomorrow. Chemo #4 on Wednesday and Neulasta shot on Thursday.
    Have a good week!

• illinoislady

I think all may have seen this before. It may even have been in here before. I'm putting it in since I found a tick on me (back of leg behind the knee today) even though we likely have lots of these guys around here. Funny, in all the time we have lived here I've never caught one out and about. Living in the woods though like we do I know there is plenty to munch on here.

• illinoislady

Harley, haven't fixed the leak yet, but it is quite small and as intense heat has descended here the plumber we use is really snowed under. We felt fortunate to get him for the afternoon we already did when our main plumbing line was repaired. We have a little (actually only needs to be a little more than pencil size trench to slough off any dripping water and we will just wait till plumber is a bit less busy.

Sorry to hear your struggling this go around. I hope it is not depressing to hear but as I recall my chemo sessions of long ago were successively a bit longer and a bit harder due to that to get over. Only had 6 and if I'm thinking hopefully correctly, you only maybe have one left. I hope that is so. Your body is forcing you to rest, and I think sometimes it knows more than our limited mind what to do. I understand about your brothers and each having different viewpoints (neither highly helpful) right now. You are displaying wonderful patience with them even though they are un-aware of it.

Oops, I missed where you said you were on # 4 chemo next. Sorry. I sooo hope it turns out to be a bit easier, for sure on the mental/emotional side. I found all my chemo's daunting, though I admit the ones that came after the first all were somewhat easier physically — it was mental just knowing what I was being treated for. Wish I could do one treatment for you because I sure would were it possible. You will have a pocketful on Wednesday.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609

Harley, the first PT visit was mostly assessment including an online self-assessment which indicated I could stand for 1 hour so I don't know how it determined that when there is no way I could so so. A 20 minute bird bath at the sink or a 10 minute shower is the most I can do and still feel safe now. Then she assessed the circumference of both legs, how far I could flex right knee, 95 degrees vs 115 degrees on left, my walking gait, and then morphed into some knee exercises which aim to get my knee flat when recumbent and that is a work in progress. So she used a weight on knee while heel was on a chair, had me use a lanyard type belt to pull heel as close to butt as possible, straight leg raises x 10 and finished with a weighted ice bag on my knee. I am so glad I took the Norco before I went and immediately took 2 Tylenol when I got home. I have done the at home exercises provided by last PT and approved by this PT. So I am worn out and knee is in active protest so I may be using more of the Norco than I have been. I did ask her to measure the length of my incision because the PA kept saying it was a small one, but I don't think a 7 inch incision is small.

I am sorry to hear you are having a rough go of it coupled with issues with DB#2 and DB#1. Was DB#2 evaluated for mental health issues since depression could this be a reason why he is non-compliant. It's hard when your care so much for someone and their actions are detrimental to their well-being. I think you need to focus on you so you have less stressors to deal with. I know, easier said than done. ((Hugs)) How sad your DB#1 lost his wife to glioblastoma.

Puffin, I hope your have made some progress and will let us know soon.

Sandy, glad you have reached your final destination in this process and hope it is a pleasant stay.

Illinoislady, I have yet to see an opposum in our yard though I have seen their carcasses on the side of the road. We did have a ground hog once and have had a raccoon that raided our old bird feeder every night. The deer have decimated my hosta and the bleeding hearts (never touched them before) this year.

DD and DSIL found their new fur baby at the local SPCA. I had told them to check it out on Sunday since they hadn't really connected with any pups they had seen to date. They were thinking of going to DE but this was closer. So they adopted a sweet 9 lb pup brought up from KY. Her name is Banjo, she's 2 months old and she is really cute.

DD showed up at the house and acted like they couldn't get her because she was too small and in quarantine. However, they usually don't post photos until they are available. Here she was pulling my leg and DSIL brought her in. He fell in love with her within minutes of meeting her, did look at another that was available who was larger but seemed distant according to him. This one wormed her way into his heart. Now they have to puppy proof their home, house break her and obedience train her. It's always a question of who rescues whom in these situations.

Ordered a new ice bag from Amazon that I can attach to leg with velcro straps since ones provided by hospital sprung leaks and the circle gel packs from the dentist were hard to keep in place. So I will even be able to ambulate with this one. Going to see what I have to do to be able to use it tonight.

cindyny, love the hydrangeas. Mine are in bloom and all blue unlike the variegations in yours. I did trim out the dead wood but the blooms are still more than expected.

Temps in low 80's but very breezy so tolerable day. Sun is out and will hold off on watering plants until tomorrow. Hope everyone had a great day.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Tomorrow is my MRI and I find out the effect of radiation on my tumor, Both my leg and arm have gotten worse over the past few days so I'm not optimistic.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921

in your pocket tomorrow

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929
    edited June 25

Cindy lovely hydrangeas. I will have to try your method on mine!

Puffin I'm with you in spirit tomorrow also. 🤗

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088

Cindy, your hydrangea blossoms are gorgeous.

Puffin, I hope the MRI doesn't bring bad news.

Harley, healing vibes for you.

Betrayal, you are a model of a patient concentrating on healing.

Appropriate responses for everyone else. Wishing everyone a good Tuesday.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

Puffin, thinking of you and sending you a (((((cyber hug))))).

Betrayal, happy to hear your DD and DSIL adopted a new puppy. Such a cute name too!

Cindy, gorgeous flowers!

Sandy, nice you are moving into the temp. house and have nice neighbors!

Harley, continued thoughts of you. This too will pass! I know in the moment, time can move way too slowly, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and this will all be a fading memory for you before you know it!

To everyone I missed naming, wishing you a wonderful sunny day!

• illinoislady

The little troubles and worries of life, so many of which we meet,
    may be as stumbling blocks in our way, or we may make them
    stepping-stones to a noble character and to Heaven.  Troubles
    are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things.

Henry Ward Beecher

• illinoislady

Sun out today and already 89 degrees. It has all day to go up higher and I'm sure it will. There is a nice breeze at present so I'm hoping it stays.

Puffin, I too hope you get a better-than-expected report.

Betrayal, I'm glad to hear your DD and DSIL have been rescued. Banjo sounds like she will be easy to spoil once she has her manners (house training and rules) in place. Glad you opted for the new ice-bag. You are stoic and highly determined to reach high success with your 'new' knee and whatever helps you get to that point with less stress and discomfort is a good thing.

Hope your temps are not too harsh Cindy. It does sound like your area is having that global warming now and who can know where, when, and how that will go. It sure seems different here where we live, but we did only see the global effect minimally for some time before it took 'hold'. It has been quite some time since we were able to get to July w/o the A/C.

Hope everyone is going to have a good day. Couple of errands today, but nothing earth shaking. Mainly my indoor lists to be worked on.

• illinoislady

Hope everyone is being cautious if it's hot and you have to be out. We went to the store much earlier than we usually do. It was before noon. 96 when we left the house and a bit over an hour later on the way home it was 100 degrees. Glad we chose to go early.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 551

@puffin2014, thinking of you and in your pocket for scans.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,273

I am so behind. I had over 100 posts to read. My cataract surgery and lens replacement is doing well 20/20. My body is adjusting to life without Arimidex. I am getting ready for a mini vacation with my niece and her friend. We rented a small 2/1 cabin at the Guy Harvey resort in Lake Wales. Next moth we are going to Key West with several ladies. Since we don't know 3 of them, I am a little apprehensive.

Puffin, sorry to her about your friend and MRI. Anymore news? (((((hug))))

Cindy, Love the flowers

Betrayal, sounds like you are healing

Jackie, plumbing issues resolved?

Harley ((((hug)))))

Sandy, what a nightmare

Carole, other than the noise, it sounds pleasant. I looked at the cutest little RV today. It was a Ford Transit conversion.

Hi to anyone I missed.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,283

Puffin. I’m praying you don’t receive bad news. ((HUGS))

I’m off to the play in the park that was cancelled due to extreme heat last week. Its 88 but no where near as humid as it was last week. The Marvelettes is the play, lots of 50’s music.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088

When I read your posts reporting high temperatures, I am more grateful for our spring and summer. Yesterday it got up to low 80's but not humid and a strong breeze made it pleasant to sit out on the deck. This morning it's 59 according to my computer and the high is supposed to be 67. No complaints from us since we're in the sunscreen stage of life and could care less about getting a tan.

I played 18 holes of golf with another woman yesterday and enjoyed the round. I usually play solo on Tuesday but she called, looking for a person to play with. I was pleasantly tired at the end.

It has been quieter than usual here at the resort with fewer people coming for the weekends. Maybe the cool weather is a factor. Also things going on in people's lives. We don't mind the quiet but dh is expecting some sites to be vacated at the end of summer. Our sales at the farmers market have been disappointing but dh is hoping they'll pick up after the 4th as more summer people come to vacation and occupy lake homes and cabins. To some extent we have saturated the market because quite a few people who come by our booth are owners of Monty's Bowls. I know. I should post pictures. I'll try to remember to do that this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• illinoislady

Whether it’s Mother Teresa’s acts of charity, Gandhi’s perseverance,
    or your aunt Betty’s calm demeanor, as long as you’re motivated to be
    better today than you were yesterday, it doesn’t matter who inspires you.

Timber Hawkeye
    Buddhist Boot Camp

• illinoislady

Good Morning. It rained last night and overnight as well. More expected today — so it will be cooler, but rain is the price. A bit of muted sun, but I don't expect it to be much more though as previously stated — we seem to be in something of a non-conforming area to weather reports. I just hope the temps. stay down.

Hugs Puffin and always hoping that things turn out better than expected.

It is what I hope for everyone — like you Sandy and Betrayal, Taco and Reader and Harley, Keywest and Chris.

Petite, Cindy and Carole too.

Do hope to see those pics Carole. A long time ago I had a Walnut wood lg. salad bowl with matching individual serving bowls. I always thought it was too beautiful to use. Sadly left behind when I had to leave my first husband and I never knew what happened to the set.

Hoping all have a good day and good weather if possible.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited June 26

Puffin, hope all goes well with your MRI.

Betrayal, I’ve found that neon colored self-adhesive wrap tape to be great at keeping ice packs in place. Like a lighter-gauge but disposable ACE wrap. When I still had to keep my incision dry, I used a trash bag duct-taped at both ends (which was what the shower attendant at the rehab used). When I had arm bone surgery in 2018, lots of Press n Seal wrap worked well too.

Main part of move Monday was multi-stage & traumatic (see the Drinking thread for the deets because it forced me to have a Margarita that night—albeit a “Skinny” one). Still setting up here, shopping for stuff this house lacks but we had back home. Obviously used as a Vrbo or AirBnB for families with young kids (toys, strollers, car seats, plastic plates for toddlers) but not for geriatrics. Finally dawned on me why there is no wine rack nor wine glasses—the owner is Muslim. Already got grab bars installed in the showers, but will have to do something about the entry step for the only door for which lock we have the combination (the other one, at the safer main side door, is known only to the owner). Bob is complaining that he lacks “the touch” on the number keys necessary to unlock & lock the door—same reason he texts by voice, namely big fingers with mild tremor. His knees are so stiff he has trouble getting up from soft chairs, sofas and restaurant booths but refuses to do anything about it—no NSAIDs or Tylenol, not even topical gels & roll-ons (Voltaren, lidocaine, arnica—all of which we have on hand). It’s a “guy thing” to elicit sympathy or even admiration for “toughing it out.” Yet he obsesses about getting his mile+ walks constantly (despite bunions and flat feet worse than mine) and racking up his 10K+ steps on the Health app in his phone. As someone who all my life was taught economy of motion, ergonomics, and being systematic (I make and keep lists, and “a place for everything & everything in its place”—partly in rebellion from my disorganized mom) it drives me nuts.

Need to go out and buy stuff but stuck here at home waiting for the tech to arrive and troubleshoot the ice maker, thermostat and come up with a doorstep solution that doesn’t alter the property—which is why one of the grab bars in the shower is suction-mounted).

• betrayal

Second day of PT and ROM is still limited so could not do bike but did put feet on pedals and rock back and forth. Other exercises aimed at getting knee to 0 degrees of extension since I currently am at 10 degrees. No real flexion exercises but did practice cane walking which I hope to transition to next week. So she is varying exercises and it was a good thing because I forgot to take Norco before I went and did share this with her. Pain tolerable during session but expect I will feel it later. Focused on quads so they are sore and hip bursitis is apparent.

We went out to lunch and then to local yogurt shop for dessert. Had a really good corned beef special but coleslaw was so juicy it made bread soggy. Needs to strain coleslaw more. It was still delicious.

Sunny and in high 80's with a nice breeze so it doesn't feel unbearably hot. Going to take a Norco now and apply ice to knee. Hope everyone has a good day.

• harley07

Sandy - glad the move is done and hope you are able to resolve the ‘odds and ends’ stuff quickly.

Betrayal - you are doing amazing. I admire your grit and determination

Puffin - thinking of you.

No chemo today as my platelets are at 58. Treatment plan calls for a minimum of 75 to give chemo, although minimum normal range starts at 150 according to the oncologist. She thinks a week will give it time to increase although she did say I should not be as fatigued as I am. The nurse doesn’t seem surprised at my fatigue and suggested we wait two weeks for chemo however the oncologist rejected that suggestion as she feels we need to keep as close to the original schedule as possible to knock this out of me. I don’t think the fatigue is surprising as my potassium, WBC, RBC, hemoglobin and platelets are low to really low. We’ll try again on July 3rd. Not sure what plan ‘B’ is if the platelets don’t increase by July 3.

On a positive note, I finished the photo book from our South America vacation. I did it on Shutterfly and will have them print the book. But first I need to proofread it (all 104 pages)! I started it around the time I started chemo and my goal was to have it completed by the time chemo was done. So I accomplished one goal this summer.

I will probably head to the gym for a light workout to keep my strength up. Hope everyone is staying cool!

• puffin2014

Ihe MRI showed that the tumor was larger, hadnt shrunk at all. So no more radiation.

I see the oncologist tomorrow to see what she wants to try next. Meanwhile my hand is worse now, I can't use my computer mouse

• illinoislady

((((((Puffin)))))) Hoping for a really good alternative treatment for you.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 283

Hugs to Puffin, Harley and Betrayal.

Still waiting for a surgery date - seems a form I was supposed to fill out went to spam. I think I'm on track now but suspect I've lost a week. I was given pre-hab exercises which I am faithfully doing. Never got any last time. I'm trying to follow your good example, Betrayal and Chris.

Mutz needs some attention. Stay safe everyone.

• illinoislady

What we are talking about is learning to live in the present moment,
    in the now.  When you aren't distracted by your own negative thinking,
    when you don't allow yourself to get lost in moments that are gone or
    yet to come, you are left with this moment.  This moment--now--truly is
    the only moment you have.  It is beautiful and special.  Life is simply a
    series of such moments to be experienced one right after another.  If
    you attend to the moment you are in and stay connected to your soul and
    remain happy, you will find that your heart is filled with positive feelings.

Sydney Banks

• illinoislady

Good Morning. Sky looks clear today and it won't (I don't think) get too hot. The deck looked damp this morning but not super wet, so any rain was much earlier in the wee hours. Sounds like we may be done for rain for a bit now.

Taco, glad you do have some exercises. Sounds like it really did a whole lot of good for Betrayal. Also, hope you do get the date soon. Easier to 'plan' your overall calendar.

Nothing special today. A couple bills to pay and a card to fill out. I have been sending a saying hi card to one of the ladies my daughter goes to Church with. She is a Stage IV patient, and some days struggles a lot. She loves getting cards (my daughter found out somehow) so I try to send one every week and a half or so.

Hope you are all going to have a good day, good weather, and as much success as possible whatever you do.

• harley07

Puffin - (((HUGS))). Thinking of you as you visit the oncologist today and hoping for a good alternative treatment.

Taco - glad to hear you are working on pre-surgical exercises and hoping the surgery can be scheduled in a timely manner.

• betrayal

Taco, you will benefit from pre-op PT. I am thankful I did it because my PT is pleased with my progress since I am really only 3 weeks post-op. May transition to cane next week. Can't say I think PT is easy but I think easier than it would have been with no pre-op PT. Please ask them to address upper body strength since you need you arms to get up from chairs, the toilet, and to use the walker. I have good upper body strength due to gardening but there are days when pushing the recliner to recline position is a real challenge.

Puffin, sorry to hear about MRI results and hope they can find a new way to address this tumor. (((Hugs))).

Harley, sorry to hear about your blood work results and hope that a break allows the results to shift to your favor. Sending (((Hugs))) to you, too.

Trying to do small tasks around the house like popping in a load of laundry, brushing Misty daily (she follows me to powder room because I brush her in the garden window there), cleaning the bird cage, watering plants in the house, tidying up and doing some dishes. Baby steps at best.

Sandy, hope the issues with the new residence can be resolved quickly and that you can get into some type of new routine. Have you heard anything from your insurance company or restoration company?

Illinoislady, we got a thunderstorm last night that blew through here rather quickly but gave us enough rain we didn't have to water plants. I have tomatoes on my plant and they need to ripen. DD didn't bring any from her neighbor yet. I hope you can get your leak fixed soon.

We are trying to go to the Kutztown German Festival and it looks like it will have to be 7/4 due to their work schedule. It will be the hottest day so I will not look forward to that. We will take my DF's travel wheelchair in case I am unable to walk the entire fair ground. Afterwards we always stop in Bally at the Longacre Dairy for a hot fudge sundae and half gallons of their homemade ice cream. We pack coolers so we can each buy several. I like their cherry vanilla with the huge dark cherries, Teaberry (remember this flavor?), strawberry, chocolate peanut butter swirl and butter pecan. I load up my freezer.

Sunny with temps in low 80's and supposedly low humidity. Lawn cut today but grass not really growing in this heat. They don't cut it low but I don't want it to burn either so will see how next 2 weeks go.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I need to get back to completing home exercises and walking.

• puffin2014

My oncologist increased my steroid back to 4mg 3 times a day and will be requesting preauthorization for Avastin, an IV infusion that's given every 2 weeks over 1-2 hours. It is not chemo, it is supposed to shrink the blood supply to the tumor, which takes at least a month.

It's my last option, if this doesnt work she said I'd go on hospice